Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Dude
Drugged up Dolph Drago
Mumbly Rocky
That Old Spice guy
That british white karate guy
Jet Li!
Hot Generalissimo's Daughter
Burnt out Mickey Rourke
The bald wrestling dudes
View Results

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Yeah it's not any good. Spoilers!

I went in hoping for a fun action movie with cool violence, and while the movie tried to deliver that, I suppose, it failed in almost all regards.

The plot was meaningless, and Stallone's heroic rescue of the Generalissimo's daughter stupid.

Real talk for a second: There were like 400 deaths in this movie, and waterboarding, and I didn't find much of it entertaining.

And the B plot with the white bald karate dude "dating" Cordelia was terrible.

Oh yeah since there's some wrestlers on the cast we're going to have a few wrestling fights while everyone else shoots guns and throws knives.

There were a few cool action moments I'll grant, but like most of Stallone's mumbly dialogue - Written and Directed by Stallone - I found this movie surprisingly bad.

The Bruce Willis cameo was OK, but the Arnold was just kinda weird.

Don't see this movie if you were hoping for a fun, cool action movie.

And oh yes, the end: Dolph's back on the team? WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Yeah, the first one didn't work. That summer two better movies came out that had teams: THe Losers and The A-Team.

Expendables 2 is great though

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ZombieParts posted:

Yeah, the first one didn't work. That summer two better movies came out that had teams: THe Losers and The A-Team.

lol how the gently caress is every goon opinion so loving wrong?

shut the gently caress up and gas this piece of poo poo thread.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ZombieParts posted:

No joking? Why does the sequel work while this one dragged rear end?

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
i never saw any of these movies because they look fucing stupid but i am also considering watching hercules so maybe i'm the stupid one

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Trees and Squids posted:

i never saw any of these movies because they look fucing stupid but i am also considering watching hercules so maybe i'm the stupid one

I knew it would be stupid, but I was hoping for "Fun Stupid" rather than just "Stupid Stupid".

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

On that note OP, you wanna go watch Expendables 3 in a couple months?

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

Saving Private Ryan (Expendables 3 Style!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfeZxrN_db4

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

On that note OP, you wanna go watch Expendables 3 in a couple months?

Why the gently caress not. Definitely getting hammered though. Even weed couldn't make the first movie fun. :(

Tubesock
Apr 20, 2002

Was this the one that had chuck norris jokes?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

redshirt posted:

No joking? Why does the sequel work while this one dragged rear end?

Less plot and more Arnold Schwarzenegger/Bruce Willis shooting things. Jean-Claude Van Damme plays a villain literally named "Vilain".

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
those movies suck. gently caress them. yeah, you're right.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Yeah the second one was way better for reasons already stated.

Also less Mickey Rourke crying in an action film.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

Yeah the second one was way better for reasons already stated.

Also less Mickey Rourke crying in an action film.

lol he actually had a crying close up!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The first one was subtle humor/drama, the second one was obvious humor/ham. To each his own I guess.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
Expendables 1 sucked because it took itself too seriously.

Expendables 2 just cranked up the ridiculous factor to 11 and it owns

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

The first one was subtle humor/drama, the second one was obvious humor/ham. To each his own I guess.

Subtle? Humor? Drama?

None of those words apply.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
nver watched it, prob never will but the answer is "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp
Apparently Mel Gibson is going to wreck shop in the third one.

Also, Wesley Snipes.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

has there been a joke made about them being fat called the expandables

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
or a joke about some being old by calling them the dependables

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Frostwerks posted:

or a joke about some being old by calling them the dependables

lol

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

redshirt posted:

I went in hoping for a fun action movie with cool violence, and while the movie tried to deliver that, I suppose, it failed in almost all regards.

The plot was meaningless, and Stallone's heroic rescue of the Generalissimo's daughter stupid.

Real talk for a second: There were like 400 deaths in this movie, and waterboarding, and I didn't find much of it entertaining.

Oh yeah since there's some wrestlers on the cast we're going to have a few wrestling fights while everyone else shoots guns and throws knives.

There were a few cool action moments I'll grant, but like most of Stallone's mumbly dialogue - Written and Directed by Stallone - I found this movie surprisingly bad.

but how's the homoerotic subtext, redshirt?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Tubesock posted:

Saving Private Ryan (Expendables 3 Style!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfeZxrN_db4

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The amazing thing about The Expendables is that the director of photography was Jeffrey Kimball. They had the cinematographer from Top Gun and Jacob's Ladder working on the movie and it still wound up being a bunch of dull grey corridors with shaky-cam and terrible CGI squibs

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The amazing thing about The Expendables is that the director of photography was Jeffrey Kimball. They had the cinematographer from Top Gun and Jacob's Ladder working on the movie and it still wound up being a bunch of dull grey corridors with shaky-cam and terrible CGI squibs

Jacob's Ladder is in like my top five favorites and the cinematography is excellent

gonna blame this on the steroid muscles that have replaced stallone's brain

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's basically fan fic movie for people whine about movies not being macho like in the 80s.

The problem is movies like Terminator, Predator and even Commando are still entertaining, while Expendables is sort of mediocre hope the fanboys watch it type of movies.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Can't use real squibs anymore the MPAA hates real squibs but gives CGI ones a pass

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
are wrestlers primarily relegated to 'professional wrestling' style action sequences in american films where they are featured because if so that just sucks because it seems like such a waste of talent.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Can't use real squibs anymore the MPAA hates real squibs but gives CGI ones a pass

thats dumb as hell cgi squibs look like poo poo

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

it's an analogy for video games

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SirDan3k posted:

it's more of an insurance thing, if you want to strap remote-controlled explosive devices to people's bodies and have them firing blanks your premiums are gonna go up

that and a desire to not pull a Brandon Lee during filming

but it is useful for ratings too, since if you're going for that sweet PG-13 market it's a lot easier to control the amount of gore on screen in post

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

but but it has a big cast of horribly aged action movie stars.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Trees and Squids posted:

i never saw any of these movies because they look fucing stupid

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i remember when violence in movies was awesome

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

A misanthrope posted:

for real...

when u really get nostalgic just watch some John Carpenter movies tough

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A misanthrope posted:

they intentionally hired a really skinny actor for that scene so they could load him up with tons of squibs

Robocop best movie

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Wayside Bazaar posted:

for real...

when u really get nostalgic just watch some John Carpenter movies tough

The Thing still has the best loving creature effects

...of SCIENCE! posted:

they intentionally hired a really skinny actor for that scene so they could load him up with tons of squibs

Robocop best movie

awesome! for real there is no flaw in that movie and it is endlessly rewatchable

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

redshirt posted:

gently caress

YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Eat poo poo and die

• Locked thread