Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
What a loving Mess

Ignore the score
A baseball diamond in the middle of field is some bush league poo poo

The Problem

Oakland–Alameda County Coliseum
Network Associates Coliseum
McAfee Coliseum
Overstock.com Coliseum
O.co Coliseum is a miserable shithole that was built in 1966 and has a capacity of around 53,000 sad fans (for football, other sports have less/more depending on the configuration) or approximately 50.4% of Jerryworld.

Oh, and the stadium tends to spew poo poo at you

quote:

On June 16, 2013 following the game against the Seattle Mariners, the Coliseum experienced a severe sewage backup. This led to pipes leaking out puddles of sewage into the showers, offices, visitor training room and storage areas on the clubhouse level of the stadium, all of which are 3 feet below sea level. After the game, the A's and Mariners were forced to share the Oakland Raiders locker room, located on the stadium's second floor. According to Coliseum officials, the stadium's aging plumbing system was overtaxed after a six-game homestand that drew close to baseball capacity crowds totaling 171,756 fans.

According to numerous reports, sewage problems are very common at the stadium. For instance, on one occasion the Angels complained about E. coli in the visiting team's training room after a backup. The plumbing is so old that backups occur even when no events are taking place there. For instance, Wolff wanted to go to dinner on June 12, 2013 (while the A's were on the road) at one of the Coliseum's restaurants, only to find out that food service had been halted due to a sewage leak in the kitchen

Video documentation: http://www.mercurynews.com/athletics/ci_25448527/oakland-coliseum-greets-another-sewage-backup

The Oakland Athletics want to go to San Jose, but they can't because the Giants were given those territorial rights way back in the early 90's when they threatened to move.
So the A's want to have a lease in place to give them some time to either reacquire the rights to SJ (doubtful, though the city is currently suing the MLB) or wait for a new development to arrive.

quote:

For the A's to move to San Jose, either the San Francisco Giants would have to rescind their territorial rights on the area, or at least 23 of the 30 MLB owners would have to vote in the A's favor and force San Francisco to give up their territorial claim to Santa Clara County. Current team owner Lew Wolff has stated, "My goal and desire for the organization is to determine a way to keep the team in Northern California." The Giants have repeatedly refused to cede their territorial rights to the San Jose area (which had been yielded by the A's in the early 1990s when the Giants had been in danger of relocating to Tampa Bay, previously both teams had shared the South Bay), although the team is open to sharing AT&T Park with the A's on a temporary basis if the A's have plans for a permanent stadium in the works.

Having a 10-year lease in place gives them time and comfort to figure out where they go next.

The Raiders want to demolish the Coliseum and build a new one (along with big time real estate development) at the current site. The Raiders absolutely cannot wait around 10 years (even though the A's opt out of the lease as early as 2016). If the A's get the 10-year lease extension they are seeking in lieu of a move to San Jose, the Raiders' push to get a new stadium built on the site would be severely affected.
The Raiders are willing to include two stadiums in the development of "Coliseum City" (cheesy, sales name for redevelopment project at current site). The Athletics are open to the idea, albeit not incredibly keen on it. Problem is, the Raiders haven't the money OR development group to make Coliseum City happen, and A's owner insists that he be part of the developer selection process.
While there has been some traction in making Coliseum City happen, without investors or developers, it's basically a pipe dream. Knowing this, the A's would rather take care of themselves in the immediate future and then address the next move, be it in Oakland, SJ or elsewhere.
There is an issue with demolishing the Coliseum, as it has not been paid off yet (who cares, it's a sunk cost at this point)
The Raiders are claiming that the 10-year lease is no good for them and have claimed to have already made plans to move elsewhere. LA is the popular rumor, which also presents plenty of stadium challenges (namely that whoever houses the Raiders is going to demand equity in the team, which, haha).

Soooooooo long story short, the A's want to know that they have a home after next season, and the Raiders want a new home after next season. Between both clubs and the powers that be in Oakland politics, It's a really embarrassing situation. Like, sewage flooding clubhouse embarrassing.

It would certainly seem from a distance that the Raiders are trying to flex the NFL muscles and have their way. Granted, an MLB team can survive at the Coliseum for a few more years, not sure if an NFL team can. Again, embarrassing and ugly.

Both teams are trying to save some face with the public:

quote:

Davis said he doesn't want to make it a Raiders-vs.-A's situation; he just wants a stadium in Oakland.

"We need to get something -- both of us really need stadiums, new ones," Davis said.

"And there's no blame I don't think between the A's and the Raiders or the city or anybody else. We just have to get something done if we can."

Last week, the Oakland A's signed a lease that would keep the A's in Oakland for another 10 years

quote:

The Oakland Athletics will be playing in O.co Coliseum for the next 10 years, the club announced in a press release Thursday. The talk of perhaps moving to San Jose or elsewhere is effectively put to bed and from the sounds of things, the A's won't be getting a new stadium in Oakland for at least 10 years.

However,

quote:

But by Thursday evening, trouble for the deal appeared on the horizon - again.

Now that the lease deal has won approval from the Coliseum board, it must win separate approvals by the Oakland City Council and Alameda County Board of Supervisors. Both bodies are expected to vote on the issue before Aug. 1, in time for the A's to start building a new scoreboard system agreed to in the deal, so that it's ready for next season.
The deal allows the team to give two years' notice of its intent to leave Oakland but requires the team to continue paying the lease for the remainder of the 10-year term, even if the team leaves. The deal lets the A's off the hook for making those lease payments only if they move to another stadium within Oakland.

HOWEVER

The Raiders are currently in talks to blow up the stadium to make room for Coliseum City. The current chairman of the Coliseum Authority said of the plan to tear down the stadium:

quote:

"This is either smoke and mirrors, or they're on crack." and "totally preposterous. ... We still owe about $180 million on the stadium."

And of course Mark Davis is not quite threatening to move to LA. Yet.

quote:

If Davis doesn't hear more positive news by this summer, he said he will have to consider alternate locations such as Los Angeles.

Asked specifically if East Bay Raiders fans have to worry about losing the team to Southern California, Davis mostly demurred answering.

"That's a tough question -- I don't know how to answer that, to be honest," Davis said.

Later, he added that East Bay fans don't have to worry about an L.A. move "at this time" but pointed out again that the timetable is not a long one.

Probable Outcomes

-The A's lease will probably be approved and the Raiders will be forced to show their hand. To be honest I think the move to LA is a giant bluff, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the coming months.
-A's move to San Jose after Bud Selig retires and the Raiders are left up poo poo creek
-Raiders somehow manage to share a stadium with the 49ers for a limited time
-Coliseum City is built and both teams are housed (lol)
-Raiders move to LA
-Raiders use the Cal Golden Bears Stadium for a limited time

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

There is an issue with demolishing the Coliseum, as it has not been paid off yet (who cares, it's a sunk cost at this point)

I had no clue this was true. Like...original costs from when it was built or have they done renovations at some point?

Agreed that it probably shouldn't matter if they could actually get a plan in place for new stadiums, but that sounds like a pipe dream itself.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The cost from renovations during the mid-90's when the Raiders returned from LA

edit: Around $180 million still owed

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really want someone to build some kind of version of this stadium, which is perfect for cities with baseball and football teams.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2012-07/change-venue

edit: Not even on the water, but have a big rear end field around which you can rotate sections of the stands so that way you avoid the dirt of baseball. Its like opening a dome, but instead your are just turning a section or two.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
The owner of the Rams has that chunk of land in downtown LA. I think the Rams and Raiders both move there within the decade.

Oakland took ten years to decide on a dog park (they finally said no recently). No loving way anything gets done there.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Viva Los Angeles

On a side note, gently caress gently caress gently caress the A's owner. I don't give one single poo poo about baseball, and that dude is getting all up in my football teams business. I expect us to be playing at the Golden Bears stadium, or renting from the 49ers after next year, but hopefully they just roll to LA instead of staying at one of those locations for years while they keep playing bullshit Oakland games.

Also, here's the proposal for what Mark Davis is pushing for. Coliseum City, which would host the Raiders, A's, and GS Warriors.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Nawid posted:

The owner of the Rams has that chunk of land in downtown LA. I think the Rams and Raiders both move there within the decade.

Oakland took ten years to decide on a dog park (they finally said no recently). No loving way anything gets done there.

It's a race to Los Angeles from the north and the south.

:(

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Home field advantage should mean something. So they have infield dirty. Add some sand traps, water hazards and electrified piano wire, and you have a game worth watching.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
All I know is the way the A's have been playing the last few years and especially this season they deserve a better stadium then what they have right now.

Only thing I truly like about the place is the the ease of convenience to get there. Just a train ride back and forth. That I will miss.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Volkerball posted:

Viva Los Angeles

As far as I know, Farmer's Field is dead in the water.

Nawid posted:

He bought sixty acres in Inglewood, which is like 10-15 miles away from downtown LA. It's actually near LAX, which is a potentially huge problem, because of gridlock and because the stadium would be directly in the flight path of landing planes. I remember the LA Times mentioning that despite Al Davis getting approval to build a stadium there in the 90's, but it wouldn't be so easy post-9/11.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

As a Raiders/Warriors/A's fan I'd love to see this happen but I know TPTB in Oakland are all kinds of hosed up and it never will.

A move to LA(for the Raiders) would not bother me in the least.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zypher posted:

As far as I know, Farmer's Field is dead in the water.

It's not dead until October. The stadium will cost 1.3-1.7 billionish, and Farmers deal will cover $700 million with 1 team, and 1 billion if two move in. The city council is moving on like it's not going to happen because there hasn't been any progress in negotiations with NFL teams, but they're prepared to stop on a dime if that changes. Davis needs to jump on that poo poo. You're not gonna get a sweeter deal than that. The design group will probably change if it goes through, but Farmers is still all in.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Having the Baseball stadium in view of the football stadium owns and every city with both sports should do it. The modern Cincinnati riverfront made the least sexy city in human history look somewhat presentable.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Volkerball posted:

It's not dead until October. The stadium will cost 1.3-1.7 billionish, and Farmers deal will cover $700 million with 1 team, and 1 billion if two move in. The city council is moving on like it's not going to happen because there hasn't been any progress in negotiations with NFL teams, but they're prepared to stop on a dime if that changes. Davis needs to jump on that poo poo. You're not gonna get a sweeter deal than that. The design group will probably change if it goes through, but Farmers is still all in.

I've heard the problem with Farmer's Field is AEG wants ownership in whatever team would move there. I can see that being a deal breaker for Davis since he wants to keep the team in the family.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I've heard the problem with Farmer's Field is AEG wants ownership in whatever team would move there. I can see that being a deal breaker for Davis since he wants to keep the team in the family.

Didn't Al already sell off like 49% of the team or something like that? If true even giving up a little of the team could mean Mark is no longer head of the team.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
According to Wikipedia, it's estimated Davis owned 47% before he died.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The idea of using California Memorial Stadium is monstrously terrifying to anyone who commutes to the Berkeley campus on Thursdays, Mondays, and Sundays.

Since I don't follow basketball: what's the current state of the possible Warriors' move? There would probably be sufficient land at the site of the Oracle Arena to build a new football stadium there while the Coliseum continues to operate for both the Raiders and Athletics in the meantime.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

King Hong Kong posted:

The idea of using California Memorial Stadium is monstrously terrifying to anyone who commutes to the Berkeley campus on Thursdays, Mondays, and Sundays.

Since I don't follow basketball: what's the current state of the possible Warriors' move? There would probably be sufficient land at the site of the Oracle Arena to build a new football stadium there while the Coliseum continues to operate for both the Raiders and Athletics in the meantime.

Warriors are basically 99% moved. They own land it is already permitted for the type of thing they plan to build, and already have private money to build it. Though, it isn't expected to open until 2018 at earliest.

Here is the the area where Oracle is, Its definitely smaller than the Coliseum, but they might be able to fit a stadium there

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 12, 2014

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I don't get why the Warriors are moving, their current building is fine.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nawid posted:

I don't get why the Warriors are moving, their current building is fine.

It's the oldest NBA arena and money is in the city and south bay (even though east bay is the best bay).

Edit: The Oracle was built in 1966, The Garden was 1968 and the next oldest is 1988.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I don't really have a stake in the matter at all, but my viewpoint essentially boils down to: gently caress the SF Giants. The A's gave up the rights to San Jose to allow the Giants to potentially move there to stay in the Bay Area and not Tampa or wherever else they were rumored to be headed and then they didn't even end up using the rights to move to San Jose when they managed to get ATT Park approved and built. And now they are absolutely refusing to make even the smallest concession back to the A's to let them move to San Jose when they are both in an incredibly lovely situation in the Coliseum and San Jose is practically begging to build the stadium and let the A's in.

Not to mention that it fucks with any plans of the Raiders to do whatever with the Coliseum spot.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I hope the owners vote to strip the Giants of their San Joe territory, but truth be told, I want the A's to stay in Oakland, even if it means the Raiders moving back to LA. The A's have been in Oakland my whole life. I already have memories of the Raiders in LA, so this wouldn't be a cultural shock to me.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Evidently the city council voted to change a bunch of things in the deal that extended the A's lease at the coliseum 10 years, and the A's are pissed about it. Don't know the implications yet because I don't speak legalese.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
From what I've read about this, and as a disinterested observer (the Raiders and As could move to Tijuana for all i care), the group that comes across the most like assholes, to me at least, are the Giants. Not giving up the territory rights is a dick move considering how they got them in the first place.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

From what I've read about this, and as a disinterested observer (the Raiders and As could move to Tijuana for all i care), the group that comes across the most like assholes, to me at least, are the Giants. Not giving up the territory rights is a dick move considering how they got them in the first place.

Subtext: The Giants are planning on moving to San Jose.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Chilichimp posted:

Subtext: The Giants are planning on moving to San Jose.

That's not for real, right? They have a new stadium.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

That's not for real, right? They have a new stadium.

They've gotta be eyeballing it for the future, otherwise why would they give a poo poo about the rights? Just to be dicks?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Chilichimp posted:

why would they give a poo poo about the rights? Just to be dicks?

yes.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

TL posted:

I've been pushing for this to happen. The TJ A's.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chilichimp posted:

They've gotta be eyeballing it for the future, otherwise why would they give a poo poo about the rights? Just to be dicks?

They're in a great location and have one of the nicest parks in baseball. They're not moving anytime in the forseeable future. They're not budging because they want to keep the TV rights and all that to the San Jose area. And they probably would not be all that sad to have the A's leave for Portland or wherever so they could have all of Northern California to themselves (even though they're already the most popular team in the area by miles). This is all understandable from a pure business perspective, but like KJT said, it makes them look like huge assholes. The only reason they have those rights is that the A's generously gave them to them in a effort to keep two teams in the Bay. Ideally MLB will step in, but I'm not holding my breath.

I root for the A's but have no ties to Oakland (aside from visiting a couple times and genuinely liking it) so I really just want to see whatever is best for the franchise. I don't really care where they play, but the current stadium is a huge disadvantage (one that they are presently overcoming, but still a disadvantage). It's also just a straight up ugly place to see a baseball game ever since the rennovation added Mount Davis and completely ruined the view.

I would feel bad for Oakland if they lost the Raiders, but it's hard to see them actually getting a stadium deal done there, and LA would make a lot of sense. It seems pretty inevitable that they're going to get an NFL team at some point and the Raiders would be the best fit. They're the most popular team in the area by far so they'd already have an established fanbase, and with a decent stadium I think they could do really well. I'm not necessarily in a rush for LA to get a team or anything, but if someone is going to move here I hope it's them.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 17, 2014

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
The Raiders never should have left LA in the first place. LA struggled to support two teams, but one team would have been fine. LA isn't so far from Oakland that people can't continue to support them from there either.

It sucks about the A's getting dicked over like this though. The whole situation is a big mess from the sounds of it though.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
LA is really far from Oakland

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can get there and back in a day if you really push it but it's a gigantic pain in the rear end. It's like 6 hours not including traffic through LA. California is really big.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 18, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BasicFunk posted:

I've been pushing for this to happen. The TJ A's.

Is Tijuana considered Padres' territory?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bip Roberts posted:

Is Tijuana considered Padres' territory?

Pretty sure it belongs to these guys

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

warcrimes posted:

Pretty sure it belongs to these guys

Where do their AA clubs play ball?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Where do their AA clubs play ball?

This place

Line-up included.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

LA is really far from Oakland

It's still in California, and closer than the team would be if they moved to another state. I'd feel bad for the fans in Oakland, but it seems to me that it's the best option for the team given the circumstances.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Driving really far to support a team kinda sucks. You can't tailgate or anything and its hard to rationalize driving home drunk for four hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FizFashizzle posted:

Driving really far to support a team kinda sucks. You can't tailgate or anything and its hard to rationalize driving home drunk for four hours.

You don't have to drive home drunk, you just have to make it to the gas station on the corner to sleep it off. :cmon:

• Locked thread