Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

You know, looking back at the draft, I think I may have hosed up not taking Manning with my second pick. I was so focused on wide receiver and my belief that Manning is gonna regress, that I may have just missed an opportunity to have Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning leading my teams. Remember this post. I've made a huge mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

You know, looking back at the draft, I think I may have hosed up not taking Manning with my second pick. I was so focused on wide receiver and my belief that Manning is gonna regress, that I may have just missed an opportunity to have Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning leading my teams. Remember this post. I've made a huge mistake.

Manning is a bona fide first round option, and I agree with you. I would have loved to have any combination of a mid first round player and PFM.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Clearly not ESPN.

Holy poo poo that's the coolest loving thing. That's a brilliant way to analyze a draft. Have you considered incorporating the spread of the FantasyPros projections to further refine the numbers? I'd be interested to see what would happen if you made the delta equal to the difference in ranking divided by the standard deviation of that player's particular projections.

Thank you. You're the only person who thought this was as interesting as I do

anyways, ask and you shall receive:

http://sand.riordan.io/c4c_pull/

if only I applied myself like this to my career...

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 30, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Sataere posted:

I was stunned he made it back to me. I think he'll regress as well, but even with some regression at a late 2nd round pick I had to go for it.

I was so close to picking up AD with my first round too, but I have him in my primary league so I figured I would diversify on the chance he goes down and not be crying over 2 leagues.

DrPossum posted:

Thank you. You're the only person who thought this was as interesting as I do

I think it's quite interesting as well. I'm surprised how close to 0 I was this draft.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Honestly, I think what you are doing is awesome. I understand just enough of it to realize I don't understand it at all. :v:

Been a long time since I've done statistics.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Manning is a bona fide first round option, and I agree with you. I would have loved to have any combination of a mid first round player and PFM.

I got so hung up on not reaching for a quarterback that I ignored tremendous value. Then again, I do think he will regress this year, so maybe I was right. Despite all evidence to the contrary, I just don't trust him.

^^^^^^^^
EDIT: I wasn't kidding when I said I had him as my number one back, even in a PPR league. I seriously expect him to be AD from two years ago this year. I think people have forgotten just how incredible he is.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
OK, so I modified the specific picks that it shows to ones that are at least 1 sigma out, and that turns out to be a much better measure of "getting good value" I think:

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

DrPossum posted:

OK, so I modified the specific picks that it shows to ones that are at least 1 sigma out, and that turns out to be a much better measure of "getting good value" I think:

So having 4 green dudes and 0 red dudes is a good thing, right?

Giving thanks to my brother here. I mailed him a round- by round guide of what I wanted and he nailed it for me. I also love how ESPN has me dead last, footballguys 3rd, and the other middle of the pack.

FANTASY FOOTBALL!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Lock posted:

Giving thanks to my brother here. I mailed him a round- by round guide of what I wanted and he nailed it for me. I also love how ESPN has me dead last, footballguys 3rd, and the other middle of the pack.

FANTASY FOOTBALL!

Yes, exactly (or at least according to fantasy pros). ymmv

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Lock posted:

FANTASY FOOTBALL!

Two of those green picks I had as my next pick =(

My 2 red picks I'm ok with. I waited too long on a TE because I tracked how many had been taking incorrectly and had to grab someone so Gates it was. Now of course I'm torn because I have Green in Dyanasty so in one league I want him to take over and in the other I want Gates to be the guy all year.

Sataere posted:

EDIT: I wasn't kidding when I said I had him as my number one back, even in a PPR league. I seriously expect him to be AD from two years ago this year. I think people have forgotten just how incredible he is.

Oh I know. If I didn't have him in my main league I would have grabbed him right away. That said I'm happy with Shady.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
It's weird that all of the projections like my team more than I do (espn gave me an A+ wtf?) Waited too long on TE, could've waited longer on QB, and this is literally the first time I've taken a defense that early, but no one else available was appealing to me at all (I think I already had both qb's at that point)

I'm also probably gonna get hosed in bye weeks so if you also hate your team get at me and maybe we could exchange parts we don't hate

Smarms
Aug 27, 2008
The only thing this draft did was reassure me I am out of my depth competing with you fine goons.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Look you fuckin graph get off my rear end about Big Baby Hawk you don't know me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DrPossum posted:

I think you get more out of this, and I love the callouts for picks greater than one Sigma. Could you show the entire draft for each person? I would love to see a color coded draft board showing who reached where in various rounds.

Seriously, this is some really good stuff. If I ever make a BeerSheets website something like this would be an amazing evaluation tool.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think you get more out of this, and I love the callouts for picks greater than one Sigma. Could you show the entire draft for each person? I would love to see a color coded draft board showing who reached where in various rounds.

Seriously, this is some really good stuff. If I ever make a BeerSheets website something like this would be an amazing evaluation tool.

next iteration:

http://sand.riordan.io/c4c/

I made a change where instead of the difference in the FP rank, I do the difference in the consensus average they quote which I think is more sensible. It has a tendency to flag RBs > 1 sigma this way, but whatevs

I guess the next thing to do would be to weight the histogram entries by beersheets value?

DrPossum fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 30, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DrPossum posted:

next iteration:

http://sand.riordan.io/c4c/

I made a change where instead of the difference in the FP rank, I do the difference in the consensus average they quote which I think is more sensible. It has a tendency to flag RBs > 1 sigma this way, but whatevs

I guess the next thing to do would be to weight the histogram entries by beersheets value?

I like it. Weighting it by value would be interesting. I would also see what would happen if you put the readings and colors on a draft board.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I think so too, though its a bit more work. If you guys want to compare, this was the yospos draft:

http://sand.riordan.io/ydpos/

its definitely more.... colorful. Note I had to blow up the x axis on the histograms by a factor of 2

edit: I was just thinking a quantitative analysis/tools thread might be an interesting idea, but I don't know how many people here do this kind of stuff in the raw

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I disagree with these graphs because they make an assumption of a hive mind & don't allow for independent thought.

Also because they make me look bad.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Spoeank posted:

I disagree with these graphs because they make an assumption of a hive mind & don't allow for independent thought.

Also because they make me look bad.

I'm of the opinion that you learn more about someone's drafting style from these rather than if those teams at face are going to be "good" or not. In the yospos link you can see there are some people who are just obviously reaping in perceived value or throwing darts. At the end of the day I think having a decent draft and then doing a thoughtful job managing rosters/waiver wire (when you actually have data that's infinitely more reliable) is what makes a good team

I agree with you on the hivemind; predictions and rankings are just not that accurate. This year I "reached" in one league for Doug Martin at 10 and Sanders at 51 and I'm not looking back with either those. Last year my first and third picks went to TRich and Julio and you can see how that worked out. I think its what makes this fun

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

They're actually super cool :)

It actually does reflect my drafting style, though. I like to fill my bench with darts & upside guys. I want to make sure I get them so I don't mind reaching for them. Some guys in this league I can admit to over-drafting to ensure I got them.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Spoeank posted:

They're actually super cool :)

It actually does reflect my drafting style, though. I like to fill my bench with darts & upside guys. I want to make sure I get them so I don't mind reaching for them. Some guys in this league I can admit to over-drafting to ensure I got them.

It hates us for the same reason. I did the exact same thing. Especially in this draft, we had to reach for the upside guys, or they were going to be gone

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I completely agree, and if anything it reflects poorly on my own personal draft strategy. This is particularly true when you're on the ends, and having 22 picks before your next selection means you're going to have to reach to be happy. That's probably why it doesn't like that I drafted Gronk.

Also Kyle Orton is now throwing to Mike Williams. :getin:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

How do I save my avatar to ESPN's page? I just got a picture and it seems I can't get it to show

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Sataere posted:

How do I save my avatar to ESPN's page? I just got a picture and it seems I can't get it to show

For the Song of Ice and IR league, I just went to team settings and did an upload from imgur. It worked fine.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I completely agree, and if anything it reflects poorly on my own personal draft strategy. This is particularly true when you're on the ends, and having 22 picks before your next selection means you're going to have to reach to be happy. That's probably why it doesn't like that I drafted Gronk.

Also Kyle Orton is now throwing to Mike Williams. :getin:

I wish I had had this for my mock drafts. It's like watching yourself give a speech on camera

also, gently caress yes Kyle Orton. greatest Iowan :patriot: he played at a high school not far from mine and we're about the same age

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Working on the OP now, and updated the FAAB for everyone. Your new FAAB totals reflect your remaining funds.

uublog, jabro, and Spoeank might want to donate some money.

Finally the FAAB minimum bid needs to be decided. Should we set it for $1 or nothing? Right now it's $1.

We also need to make sure we're all happy with the playoff settings. Right now it's 2 sets of 2 week playoffs, Week 14-15 and Week 16-17. Given that Week 17 is such a crap shoot I'm comfortable changing that, either moving the playoffs one week earlier (Weeks 13-16), changing it to one week playoffs, or just making the championship one week. I think my preference would be for either 1 week playoffs, or making the championship game 1 week.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 30, 2014

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I like $0 bids because I'm an add/drop whore. Also what exactly ended up being the decision for money usage? The last couple weeks have been a blur with a bunch of stuff happening, I just want to make sure I have it all squared up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spoeank posted:

I like $0 bids because I'm an add/drop whore. Also what exactly ended up being the decision for money usage? The last couple weeks have been a blur with a bunch of stuff happening, I just want to make sure I have it all squared up.

Here's how it works:

1. Your FAAB budget equals the amount of money you've donated.
2. You can also cheat using the mulligan mechanic. The way that works is simple; if you have a player on your bench who scored more points than a starter, you can declare a mulligan by removing an amount of money equal to the points difference between the bench player and starter (rounded up to the nearest dollar). I will then edit your starters and you will get the new points value. This must be done before kickoff of the first game on Thursday.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Thanks. Dropped $40. :)

also I'm planning on changing my charity. By the time the season ends, the IV Victims Fund will likely no longer have a use (as it was to assist the victims of the Isla Vista shootings a few months back).

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 30, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's fine.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Because most of my management decisions are reactionary and impulsive, my team (and coach) is now That Guy.

He will lead us to victory, and fresh water for everyone a village, maybe.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Teeter posted:

Because most of my management decisions are reactionary and impulsive, my team (and coach) is now That Guy.

He will lead us to victory, and fresh water for everyone a village, maybe.

I'm gonna go shift some paradigms now.

Spoeank posted:

For the Song of Ice and IR league, I just went to team settings and did an upload from imgur. It worked fine.

Yeah, that is what I tried, but poo poo ain't working. I'll give it more effort later.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I have no strong opinion about the schedule. Whatever's clever.

Can we put our FAAB money towards trades? Or is that too much work for the commish?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The Zack posted:

Can we put our FAAB money towards trades? Or is that too much work for the commish?

How would you put money towards trades?

Beer, I'm out of the house today. As soon as I get home I'll throw some money into the fund.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

The Zack posted:

Trades are free

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sataere posted:

Trades are free

Only for people who don't steal promising WRs with a drug problem from me.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
I meant to sweeten the trade. For example CJ Spiller + cash considerations for Jamaal Charles. That sort of thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Zack posted:

I meant to sweeten the trade. For example CJ Spiller + cash considerations for Jamaal Charles. That sort of thing.

Oh, yeah I'm all down for that if there's a way to declare it ahead of time.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Is there a way to trade FAAB money? I've never actually heard of that before

Btw I'll do some donating this weekend, I've been short on funds for a long-rear end time but I was supposed to start a job that paid last week and welp

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I imagine you can just tell me here and I'll move it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Just gonna ask the league this then out of curiosity: How much, pure cash, for an AJ Green, Julio, Marshall, Nelson type?

• Locked thread