Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Hey an AT thread where I can actually answer questions...greeeeaaat.

I am currently 380 and 5'10 and haver been overweight since I have been 14. Main reason I got this way, still am here is just due to laziness and complacency. Just recently I have realized how truly unhappy I am with myself and now I am trying to change it but I fear it is just too late unless I do something drastic (surgery or hiring a personal chef).

I hate cooking and the clean up so trying to make healthy stuff is very hard for me to get off my lazy rear end and do it. The amount of money I spend eating out is insane (avg 500 month easy) and I usually eat fast food which is terrible.

I have been trying recently to go to the gym and eat better once a day (Chipotle instead of Mcds) but even that is difficult for me to do as I am so set in my ways. The gym is the hardest part because even low impact exercise like the elliptical machine hurts, the only thing that doesn't is swimming.

The biggest reason I want to change now is because I realize I am going to die soon, my friends joke I am going through a midlife crisis because I am trying new activities (violin, scuba diving ect) but they are probably right. At this rate I my parents are going to have to bury me before I bury them.

Let's get to the embarrassing stuff/poo poo I deal with every day shall we!

I have bigger tits than half the female coworkers.
I can't scratch my back (have to find a doorframe or pole like a bear.)
I can't fit in a booth in a restaurant.
I have broken a bathtub by stepping into it in the wrong place.
I am afraid I am going to roll over and kill my dog while I am sleeping.
I have broken 4 computer chairs.
If I sleep on my stomach my weight forces bile up at night.
If I sleep on my back I choke because my neck is so thick.
I always get asked to eat the last of anything.
Had to replace the shocks in my truck at 45k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010
Well I decided to make some drastic changes as this thread made me realize how much of a fatty fat fat I am. Joined a real gym, met with a Dietitian and scheduled with a Personal Trainer once a week for now. Fourth day of my new diet (down to 2200 calories) a day it it loving sucks, not gonna lie. Worse part was that earlier I was watching TV (evidently that means feeding time to my brain) and I had to go to sleep to ignore it.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

messagemode1 posted:

New/questions for the crowd:

- were/are you a picky eater? I asked this before but no one responded. Is this a bad question?

- do you have a physical goal in weight loss (assuming you want to lose or are losing weight) like "I want to be able to do a particular activity or exercise" or "I'd like to fit into a size __"

- how do you see food? (No, not literally.)

- for those who are still at the start of or haven't started their weight loss (or don't want to lose weight), how do you feel about other people's success stories? Does it make you feel bad that you haven't done what they have done, or feel good to know that it's possible no matter what size you start at?

1. Nope never a picky eater, only things I don't like are fish, asparagus, and brussels sprouts.

2. My main goal right now is I want to become a SCUBA dive master/instructor and to do that you need to be in good shape and have good air consumption rates, my weight will never allow me to do that.

3. Food for me was always something to enjoy in vast quantities and a way to fill boredom.

Laverna posted:

- What are some things that convince you to ignore the excuses and take that first step?

This thread did it for me, looking at it I realized I was the fattest goon here and that did it for me.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

Godsped posted:

I flew yesterday and was this close to having to ask for a seatbelt extender. It took me a solid five minutes repositioning everything to make it work.

I'm flying a lot next year and it should be motivation to lose weight but I just keep thinking about how much it'll suck instead of looking at my schools gym hours.

I suck pretty hard right now :(

Hey man I was in the same boat on the way to Mexico when I flew, except for I couldn't get it buckled and decided gently caress it and hit it under a fat roll, they never noticed.

Sounds like on the food front you have the same poo poo I have going on, what I am doing that helps me is buying groceries/cooking meals and then immediately portioning them out. I write on a piece of masking tape/ziploc what it is and how big the size is. Then when I finally eat it first thing before I put food in my mouth is I track it on my phone. This way I see where I am at for calories and sodium (screw having high blood pressure) so far for that day.

I also am very much in the hate exercise camp as well but I have been going every day to swim since that is the least painful/sweaty cardio I can get in and it is summertime. If you don't want to take your shirt off find a cheap rashguard/swim shirt. Also doing the elliptical is not as hard on us fatties it seems so you could try that if you don't like the water/sun.

Mind you this is my 2nd week dieting/exercising so time will tell.

Gindack
Jan 30, 2010

Godsped posted:

I visited the coach today. He's asked me to walk 30 mins every day, and to send him an email after I went on the walk about how long I walked, what I saw, how I felt afterward. He also recommended a nutritionist who has helped a lot of students learn to eat well on required student meal plan.

Stuffs happening. It's cool.

Hell yeah man that is awesome, I have been going to a Dietician through work and they are helping me a ton as well. Just so you don't get discouraged like me, I ended up losing 12 lbs the first week and the second not a drat one but found out that was normal. This is the third week for me and everything is getting easier just be wary week two blows.

• Locked thread