Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

There's a current fight in the medical/health community regarding whether or not food should count as a drug and whether a person can be addicted to food. I honestly think some people become addicted to food in the same way they become addicted to nicotine or heroin, though perhaps to a less intense degree. Food does give you a release of endorphins that boost your mood and so many people turn to food as their only method of feeling good.

Research has shown that people only really taste the first few bites of food before it drastically loses its flavor so the pleasure one derives from it is something other than taste alone. I highly suspect, though I don't have any actual experience with this, that it's the latter Twee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I have another question for people who used to be overweight/obese. I know a lot of people who support fat activism like to post about their negative experiences with nutritionists/health educators/doctors/nurses and how they hate hearing from these professionals that they are unhealthy when they feel fine. So this begs the question, when you were overweight/obese was there anything say a doctor for instance could have told you or explained to you to make you motivated to lose weight? Anything they could have told you to help you with your health at all?

I regularly count calories to make sure I'm staying under my maintenance weight and I can definitely attest that I should be losing weight at the number of calories I consume do to every BMR calculator I've tried. However finding the level of calories that it takes for you to maintain or lose is something that can easily be seen from trial and error. I'd suggest starting to try at the lowest estimate you'd seen for BMR and continuing to drop down by 50 calories until you can see on a scale that you're losing weight. I was never overweight but I got close and I did lose 30lbs in a year from diet and exercise, using calorie counting software (CRON-O-meter) and a 2 mile walk each day. It can be done.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I definitely think when I started to gain weight rapidly my biggest problem was being hungry all the time and trying to deal with hunger pains. For me, if I don't eat regularly (every 4hrs at the most) I get terribly nauseous and will eventually get to the point where I just puke stomach acid and bile. Which is both gross and painful and should be avoided. The answer? Eat small meals regularly. I know this gets mentioned all the time as a method for weight loss but I think its really only helpful in keeping hunger at bay (it wont magically jump start your metabolism for instance.) I eat breakfast at 8, lunch at 12, and dinner at 7. I also eat a smaller snack at 10am, 2pm, and 4pm. I think this really is the best method for preventing you from getting hunger pains or feeling sick.

However in my experience, being hugry is just a regular part of life. Sometimes you're hungry and its not time to eat yet and you just have to deal with it. I keep my eating schedule really structured to prevent me from wandering into the kitchen and overeating as much as I keep it to make sure I don't end up puking. It's 3pm and you're hungry? Tough poo poo sister snack times in an hour.

Also Zantie I'm going to suggest you see a therapist. A lot of people who were food insecure when they were younger have a hard time managing their weight when they finally do have access to food. I think seeing a therapist might really help you deal with this.

edit:

sether01 posted:

I've heard that it's common for both men and women who have been sexually abused to overeat as a way to become unattractive to the abuser so as to not be abused anymore, is there any truth to that?
Please also note that childhood sexual are all risk factors for any kind of eating disorder, including binge eating, anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. A disproportionately high number of people with diagnosed eating disorders were sexually abused as children.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 16, 2014

• Locked thread