Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Danger Squee posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you noticed any change in how your friends, family, and strangers interact with you now compared to before you began your weight loss?

I went from over 220 lbs to 140 lbs in the last couple of years and I’ve noticed some really oddly mixed reactions. Some (most) people are really pleased and amazed, couldn’t be happier. Some people, though, get really weird about it. I have three people in particular who are constantly harping on about how I’ve lost ‘too much weight’ or worry that I’m ‘ill’, often to other people rather than to my face. I find this really odd and disconcerting. They never expressed concern when I was grotesquely obese.

Sorry to jump in, my story is nowhere near as awesome as vyst’s, but I thought I’d share anyway. I’d been chubby my whole life, especially as a kid, but in my early twenties I PILED it on. A bad break-up made me realise I had to pull myself together and the more weight I lost the more I realised just how lovely I’d felt - tired, breathless, lazy, sweaty, itchy and generally terrible. I started exercising and changed my relationship with food completely. When you’re obese you’re basically feeling pre-sick 90% of the time.

I never realised until I looked back on some old pictures just how fat I really was, and I’m filled with shame and regret every time I see it now, knowing that I walked around looking like that for so long. That shame and embarrassment is what keeps me careful about my diet and my activity level.

For reference, me in December 2010:

Me in 2013:

Every time someone denies how much they secretly eat, lies about how much exercise they do, takes a picture from a deceptive angle to look slimmer, I get infuriated because I did the same loving thing.

edited - took out some unnecessary vitriol.

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

meataidstheft posted:

I think it's the physical discomfort and adult acne.

As a guy, looking back, the worst thing for me was constantly standing a certain way or adjusting my shirt (open shirt worn over a t-poo poo, whatever the weather) to hide my massive tits. If no one can see them they’re not there!

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

messagemode1 posted:

Is the fat shame thread shameful or cathartic for you?

Cathartic and fascinating. It’s astonishing to look at the level of denial and bitterness a lot of ‘fat acceptance’ types display, often masked with a sort of false empowerment and confidence, and realise I was exactly like that for a long time. It also serves as a constant reminder to never go back, which is something I’m honestly scared of.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

To anyone reading this who's inspired to start exercising/losing weight: in addition to weighing yourself (first thing in the morning after you pee/before you eat), take your measurements at least once a month and take pictures once a month too, if not weekly.

Weight can fluctuate a LOT depending on multiple factors, but measurements and pictures do not lie.

Yeah take a lot of pictures of yourself as you go along - I really wish I’d charted my progress like this the whole way, now I have to rely on digging up old pictures of fatty me.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

were/are you a picky eater? I asked this before but no one responded. Is this a bad question?

Very. I used to hate new textures or any particularly different flavours and would often not try anything new out of fear of the unfamiliar. Anything involving gristle or bone was a no-go. I was even worse as a chubby kid, all I wanted was fast food and sweets.

Now I’m way, way more adventurous. Trying new things has developed my palette and I’m a lot more willing.

do you have a physical goal in weight loss (assuming you want to lose or are losing weight) like "I want to be able to do a particular activity or exercise" or "I'd like to fit into a size __”

I don’t remember having a goal beyond ‘stop being fat as poo poo’. As time went on it became ‘get below 170’, ‘get below 160’. For the moment I’m happy hovering at 140. I wanted to get below 34 waist, now I’m 32.

My goal now is to build some muscle. Not get bulky, but improve my definition.

how do you see food? (No, not literally.)

Food used to be so regularly consumed and in such large quantities that I barely appreciated it unless it was really salty or really sweet. Then it became fuel and nothing else, in order for me to rebuild my relationship with it. Now, I love food. Probably more than I ever have, and probably partly because I’ve learned to genuinely appreciate it rather than gorge myself.

I also always used to associate food with guilt, which is gone now that I exercise regularly.

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

copy of a posted:

I'm right at 25. The mental affects are basically feeling worthless and unattractive because of my weight. I avoid leaving the house if I can, and there's even been some days I've gone out and had nervous breakdowns because I'm so worried about how I look.

This is enough, without the physical consequences. It took losing some weight for me to realise how terrible I actually felt about myself - but it also took only a bit for me to feel much, much better. And it only improves from there.

The better you feel about yourself the harder you work at it, just like it works the opposite way - the worse you feel the more you hide, and usually the more you eat/less you do.

If this thread is making you think about it then do it. You’ll get nothing but encouragement for the most part and after the initial humps it stops being hard and starts being addictive. Losing weight and working to get in shape is one of the best things I’ve ever done and I wish I’d done it a lot sooner.

• Locked thread