Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Liar posted:

My other big issue is that I'm hungry ALL THE GODDAMN TIME. No matter how much I eat it feels like I'll starve to death. I'll eat a whole pizza as a snack. I feel embarrassed when I go to the buffet because I eat until I feel like I'm going to throw up. It's honestly like my stomach has no sense of when its had enough beyond me being in pain from over eating. The desire to eat is overwhelming. I imagine it's what a drug addict feels like. The second I realize I'm hungry I can't think of anything else.

Have you spoken to a doctor? there are actual genetic conditions that can cause this kind of uncontrollable appetite, Prada-Willi syndrome is the best known one but there are probably others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I had a big response that I edited out because everyone else got there first and better. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. Inaccurate labels and variable metabolisms don't change that, they just mean you have to use slightly different numbers than most people.

Reduce intake as suggested by generalised calculators and based on food labels, and increase activity. If you don't begin to lose weight within a reasonable amount of time, reduce it by a bit more, continue reducing until a reasonable and sustainable rate of weight loss is achieved. Unless your weight is not due to fat (I know some diseases cause massive water retention and so on) there is ALWAYS a level where it will work

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 15, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If you remain obese while actually eating as-labelled 1200 calories a day and are anything other than a midget, then you are achieving something truly impressive. For 99% or more of the population, 1200 calories a day is not enough to be obese on.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
while I appreciate the weight loss chat, I'd also appreciate the thread going back to the actual subject in the title.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Zhentar posted:

To restate all that from the personal perspective view... she sees me eat as much or more than she does, and usually choosing less healthy foods than she does, and putting forward less effort to get exercise. And I'm a stick while she's very much not. This gets rather frustrating. When she seeks advice for overcoming the challenges she faces trying to lose weight, what she finds are condescending explanations implying it's no harder for her to lose weight than it is for me to keep on being skinny, and not a lot that's actually helpful to anyone that already understands the basic nutrition. And then, frustrated, and fed up with constantly feeling hungry despite barely running a calorie deficit at all, she gives up.

Get your wife an account and have her come join us in the weightloss challenge thread in YLLS. Ninhydrin runs an amazing weigh in system where you log your losses (or gains, the occasional hiccup or plateau is gonna happen for most people) every week and can get encouragement or advice from people doing the same thing as you and facing all the same problems and challenges. She can post all this bullshit and excuses in there and see what sort of advice people have, as many of them probably harboured similar beliefs and can talk her through how they got over them and started consistently achieving their goals.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Abu Dave posted:

I don't know if it's too YLLS or not but i'd actually like to see a fit "normal" weight persons food log just to see how much a perosn of that weight SHOULD be eating, realistically. Anyone got one?

approximately 2000 calories for an average woman and 2500 for a man, a bit less if they are small and rather more if they are more active than average and quite a lot more if they are doing significant weight training and gaining muscle mass. The exact makeup of those 2000 calories will make little difference to their weight, though of course it would affect their health, you can be skinny on a lovely diet.

The log will look completely different depending on the makeup of their diet. A big mac, large fries, a large shake and an apple pie could make up the entire daily intake for a woman, or they could eat a decent breakfast, a large salad lunch with a lean dressing and a large meal of chicken with lots of vegetables AND several snacks to hit the same amount. Fried, fatty and high sugar foods can be spectacularly calorie dense, green vegetables the opposite. The difference in the volume of food for two 2000 cal days at different ends of the spectrum is astonishing.

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 15, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I'd really prefer if we let the obese and ex obese people actually answer the question instead of arguing about weight loss

I'm interested to know how you guys felt about your place on the, uh, obesity spectrum. Did you say to yourselves "well, I'm not that fat, I can still [walk/run/shower/leave my bed/sit up unassisted]" since there are always news stories about some 650 lb person who is confined to their bed? If you didn't know about people way bigger than you, would it have made you feel better, worse or would it have made no difference?

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 16, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

shipwrek posted:

You can add me to the list of people that have started down the road to weight loss thanks to this and the fat shame thread. I was wondering how much people who have lost weight or are currently doing so like having a hard goal? Does having a 'when I'm this weight I win' attitude motivate you or maybe smaller incremental goals? I suppose it will be a different answer for different people; just curious what mental rewards you like to give yourselves.

I'm not morbidly overweight (BMI just dropped below 30, woop!), but I'm losing at the moment and I do have a goal weight. First weigh in was 217, my ultimate goal is 154. Why not a round number? 154 is 11 stone and that is itself a nice round number, and it is almost exactly in the middle of the "healthy weight" BMI range for my height (21.4). Obviously once I hit that point I'l reassess, see how I feel and how I look and go from there. I might stop a little early if I feel and look great and have a medically healthy weight, I might go a bit further if I look and feel OK but am finding the calorie control and exercise sustainable and think I could go even further and that going further would make me look and feel better. It'll depend on muscle mass and poo poo too, obviously, but "no more than 11 stone" is a good solid long term maintenance goal, easy to communicate and work with, and easy to remember.

Having 154 as a number in my mind gives me a clear goal, which is something I've always found motivating. It gives me something to aim to get below, but also something to aim to AVOID going above, and to act as an indicator that I might be slipping back into bad habits later on.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Flaky posted:

Then how come fat people exist?????

Because they don't do them or they do do them but also eat too much.

Dropping $1000 on equipment straight off the bat seems unwise. The poster is already looking for cheap weights, but he's got kids, he's got commitments, maybe he doesn't have a spare thousand bucks and an empty room to turn into a dedicated home gym. $1000 is a lot of money to many people, especially when they have dependants. He already has a good plan, which is therapy, food self education and cheap craigslist weights.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Uncle Jam posted:

Its not so much the calories, its the sodium that make me wary of those soups. Most of the ones I checked have around 50% of your DV in one cup.

If you make your own soups you can control everything from sodium to caloric content, it's slightly more labour intensive but you can make 5-10 servings in like an hour and freeze most of it to use when you need it. Most of my vegetable soups are about 50 calories per 100g, while still being really satisfying cos of all the fibre. Plus, onions and carrots are dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
There's walking and there's walking. An hour on a treadmill is a very different animal than an hour long hike over rough mountain terrain. The latter is also infinitely more rewarding, because you get to experience the landscape and nature, see cool poo poo, explore and get a great sense of achievement when you reach the top of a mountain or whatever.

• Locked thread