Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eSports Chaebol posted:

OP the reason is because most people don't know because amniocentesis is fairly invasive so women don't get it done unless there are known risk factors (like being old lol)
really? I thought it was just like a retard thermometer on a scale from empty to full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I know someone who works with severe/profoundly disabled children that make down's syndrome seem like super powers. The sole goal in educating most of them is to teach them how to feed themselves so that when they inevitably end up institutionalized they don't starve to death. The vegetables don't even have that much of a chance at survival. None of these children will never be happy, either because they do not have enough of a brain (I mean this literally, as many are born with parts of their brains missing) to have emotions or else because they exist in relentless agony from the day they are born. Even those few who aren't visibly deformed are prone to such awful, completely involuntary violent behavior that they horrify and repel all but the most dedicated/deranged of caregivers. There is no happy ending to be found, only endless misery for the children and everyone who interacts with them.

In short, kill all babies then kill all non-babies.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

Boy with Down syndrome assembling a book case.
I'm not gonna lie, I really want to know what that "book case" ended up looking like.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
People with downs have a higher employment rate than the average dnder so I think we aborted the wrong people.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So wait why are downs people a burden because they're supported by tax payer dollars?

Because abortions are supported by tax payer dollars too.

Something doesn't quite add up...

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
When I was in college I worked with a downs girl. She was a real bitch and if you told her to do anything other than make fish sandwiches she'd flip her poo poo and go hide in the freezer

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
when I was 15 looking for my first job as a bagboy I got beat out by a downs dude. Fuckin affirmative action

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

when I was 15 looking for my first job as a bagboy I got beat out by a downs dude. Fuckin affirmative action
maybe he just understood bags better than you

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Dolphin posted:

maybe he just understood bags better than you

to be fair he probably would do a better job than me because they're so happy all the time. But 15 year old me didnt know that.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

to be fair he probably would do a better job than me because they're so happy all the time. But 15 year old me didnt know that.
lol 15 year old you probably nearly killed himself.

why didn't you.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Taint Reaper posted:

So wait why are downs people a burden because they're supported by tax payer dollars?

Because abortions are supported by tax payer dollars too.

Something doesn't quite add up...

Actually, there's a strict prohibition in the US from using tax dollars to fund abortion because one really old democrat from Michigan kept saying it had to happen to get the ACA passed so they entertained him.

That aside, saying this is sort of like people who go "I don't have money to pay for an abortion!" and then have a kid despite the fact a kid costs way more than an abortion.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

People with down syndrome give the best high fives.

This is fact.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazyfire posted:

Actually, there's a strict prohibition in the US from using tax dollars to fund abortion because one really old democrat from Michigan kept saying it had to happen to get the ACA passed so they entertained him.

That aside, saying this is sort of like people who go "I don't have money to pay for an abortion!" and then have a kid despite the fact a kid costs way more than an abortion.
the kids gonna come out in 9 months though regardless of your money, but won't come out earlier without it

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I have a cousin with down syndrome. He's okay but I think it would be better if he did not have down syndrome.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Durzel posted:

The Wikipedia link for Downs is pretty sobering reading and pretty much stops short of saying "everything you could imagine could go wrong with a human can and probably will".

Anyone who - knowing that - says that they think they're going to go ahead with the pregnancy anyway really ought to be culled themselves. It's not like there is a shortage of actual functional human babies out there crying out for foster parents.

The list of things which can go wrong is extensive. However, most cases of Down's are mild to moderate and most of the listed issues do not occur. It's like looking at the list of possible side effects for a drug; it's very very unlikely that all of them will manifest. So it's not particularly physically debilitating in the great majority of cases.

Here is something on disability and happiness:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27554754
A study in the American Journal of Genetic Medicine found that 99% of people with Down's were happy with their lives. Their families also reported higher rates of happiness.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21910246/

quote:

Abstract
This study asks people with Down syndrome (DS), ages 12 and older, about their self-perception so that their information could be shared with new and expectant parents of children with DS. We analyzed valid and reliable survey instruments from 284 people with DS on the mailing lists of 6 non-profit DS organizations around the country. Among those surveyed, nearly 99% of people with DS indicated that they were happy with their lives, 97% liked who they are, and 96% liked how they look. Nearly 99% people with DS expressed love for their families, and 97% liked their brothers and sisters. While 86% of people with DS felt they could make friends easily, those with difficulties mostly had isolating living situations. A small percentage expressed sadness about their life. In our qualitative analysis, people with DS encouraged parents to love their babies with DS, mentioning that their own lives were good. They further encouraged healthcare professionals to value them, emphasizing that they share similar hopes and dreams as people without DS. Overall, the overwhelming majority of people with DS surveyed indicate they live happy and fulfilling lives.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajmg.a.34293/abstract

So various posters' arguments about consigning someone to a life of misery are false. Don't let facts get in the way of your opinions though.

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 12, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Don't take my word for it, take this retard's word for it.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Retards are totally loving selfish.

Its like some gene for being a selfish oval office comes along with the downs/aspergers/retard/whatever gene.

And you cant tell them to stop loving acting up and being a cockhead, because OH NO! The spastic is precious!

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
i heard it you jerk it too much you get downs or go blind or something please confirm gbs

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

therattle posted:

The list of things which can go wrong is extensive. However, most cases of Down's are mild to moderate and most of the listed issues do not occur. It's like looking at the list of possible side effects for a drug; it's very very unlikely that all of them will manifest. So it's not particularly physically debilitating in the great majority of cases.

A study in the American Journal of Genetic Medicine found that 99% of people with Down's were happy with their lives. Their families also reported higher rates of happiness.

So various posters' arguments about consigning someone to a life of misery are false. Don't let facts get in the way of your opinions though.

You realize part of the disorder makes them inordinately happy and cheerful no matter what right?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
LOOK AT THIS IMPORTANT CONTRIBUTION TO HUMANITY

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

therattle posted:

It's mostly a projection of their own discomfort and their own imagining of being in the situation of being literally retarded.

However, those with Downs are happy generally because they can't or don't really ever feel unhappy. That's why they poo poo themselves and masturbate in public because they know no shame and give zero fucks about the whole affair since they cannot easily learn or comprehend why that is a bad thing and wrong while everyone around them knows better.

Essentially what I'm saying is that they're more akin to animals and pets rather than human beings and children.

red state bait
Dec 9, 2006

this thread isn't very funny, its kinda sad :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

You realize part of the disorder makes them inordinately happy and cheerful no matter what right?

Does it really matter why they are generally happier, or just that they are? It was in response to posts saying how miserable and filled with suffering their lives would be, which just isn't true.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

therattle posted:

Does it really matter why they are generally happier, or just that they are? It was in response to posts saying how miserable and filled with suffering their lives would be, which just isn't true.

Why don't you have yourself lobotomized then, or maybe some extreme ECT? You would be generally happier, does it really matter why? The only difference is in this instance you would actually get to make the choice.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

therattle posted:

i think you are misunderstanding the disorder and what i wrote.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I have a cousin with down syndrome. He's okay but I think it would be better if he did not have down syndrome.

Whoah there, buddy, your words are genocide or something.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Maoist Pussy posted:

Whoah there, buddy, your words are genocide or something.

people are so afraid of the next step in human evolution. Additional chromosomes are the future as life increases in complexity.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't think I want pants-making GBS threads idiots to be happy, that's like even worse IMO

The Bible
May 8, 2010

therattle posted:

Our son has Down's. We found out during pregnancy and decided to go ahead. I initially didn't want to but am incredibly glad we did. He's awesome. Unlike you, OP. You're just an rear end in a top hat. (As, unsurprisingly, most of you). You'll probably never really understand loving somebody unconditionally, and your life will be poorer for it.

In answer to your question, over 90% of people do abort, but it isn't always picked up during scans etc. So it would be hard to eradicate.

It's great you found it in yourself to raise a child who may never be self-sufficient or independent, but that doesn't give you the right to poo poo all over anyone who wouldn't want to make the same choice you did.

dik-dik posted:

Probably a grand total of two people in this thread who've ever actually interacted with someone with Down syndrome for more than five minutes total.

That sounds about right. I was 8, he was around 10 I think. In that time, he managed to bash me in the head with a seatbelt buckle when I wouldn't give him the book I was reading, then scream and cry when I got mad at him for it.

Then I got in trouble for antagonizing him. Anything else I know is stuff I read in news articles or whatever, and they all sound like a living nightmare to raise. Public temper tantrums up until the age of 30, issues with potty training well past normal children, crippling emotional issues they may never be equipped to really deal with.

I'm not ashamed to say I would abort the moment I found out my kid would be born with Downs. I'm sure they're all little blessings when they're infants through preteens, but they aren't going to mature much more past that age, so you'll still be dealing with a little kid, only he'll be big and strong enough to be a real problem for you and everyone else forced to deal with him. I'm sorry, I just couldn't live like that.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 12, 2014

The Bible
May 8, 2010

rcman50166 posted:

nice try forums user chuck tanner

Seriously man, it is just uncanny how you are able to detect your name in any thread just minutes after it comes up. Do you check every thread in GBS repeatedly all day, or are you running some sort of script that parses threads repeatedly and emails you when your name or picture pops up?

I'm not mad about it or anything, I'm just honestly curious as to how you do it.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
"Oh wow, Im so happy anally raping and the murdering this woman, and its totally OK, because Im retarded" - A retard somewhere in the world right now.

And people in this thread at completely OK with this situation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Bible posted:

It's great you found it in yourself to raise a child who may never be self-sufficient or independent, but that doesn't give you the right to poo poo all over anyone who wouldn't want to make the same choice you did.

That sounds about right. I was 8, he was around 10 I think. In that time, he managed to bash me in the head with a seatbelt buckle when I wouldn't give him the book I was reading, then scream and cry when I got mad at him for it.

Then I got in trouble for antagonizing him. Anything else I know is stuff I read in news articles or whatever, and they all sound like a living nightmare to raise. Public temper tantrums up until the age of 30, issues with potty training well past normal children, crippling emotional issues they may never be equipped to really deal with.

I'm not ashamed to say I would abort the moment I found out my kid would be born with Downs. I'm sure they're all little blessings when they're infants through preteens, but they aren't going to mature much more past that age, so you'll still be dealing with a little kid, only he'll be big and strong enough to be a real problem for you and everyone else forced to deal with him. I'm sorry, I just couldn't live like that.

I totally understand why people would choose to abort. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to call people assholes for acting like assholes. The most valid reason for terminating, to me, is that you just don't want a child with Down's. Being mean about people with Down's (not that you've been) is just lovely though.

As for health, quality of life concerns, burden to society etc - those aren't particularly valid. It boils down to not wanting a child with a disability.

Regarding independent living, that's our goal, pretty much.

Rapman the Cook posted:

"Oh wow, Im so happy anally raping and the murdering this woman, and its totally OK, because Im retarded" - A retard somewhere in the world right now.

And people in this thread at completely OK with this situation.

WTF are you talking about?

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 12, 2014

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why oh why are you doing this to yourself.

do you have down syndrome

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hes never going to be independent dude

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
What's the problem with DS? I think it's pretty cool tbh

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
http://youtu.be/aOdQVxMJ59s

this was a good ep

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
nvm

DeepThought
Feb 19, 2005
Cthulhu Light

Dolphin posted:

we got rid of polio, a much more difficult feat in my opinion

Every russian is sacred.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

therattle posted:

WTF are you talking about?

Please never leave your kid alone with anyone who cant defend themselves. They don't have the social blockse to understand their effect on others. They just know if something feels good (like sex), they'll do it. Its depressingly common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

That survey saying Down's people are happy is kind of dumb. If your family and social workers spend your entire life telling you how great you are because you remembered to put a shirt on in the morning you will be pretty happy with life. Plus, the WWE streams their pay-per-views now so you don't have to beg mom to order SummerSlam.

• Locked thread