Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Dubsy posted:

ive known its inexcusable to make fun of people with disabilities since before my balls dropped and way before i learned other important life lessons. this poo poo is common sense man.

but iunno if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me, so sorry if i am being rude.

I quoted you as an example of common loving sense. You are fine. This thread seems to be full of the emotionally retarded, though.

I once imagined some kind of device that would allow someone to literally walk in another's shoes for a day, a week, a year and see what it was like to be that other person. But, I realized that even if that were possible, only the open minded would comprehend what they had just lived through. You can't fix bigotry and you can't fix stupid.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

tango alpha delta posted:

This planet seems to be full of the emotionally retarded, though.

ftfy

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Lazyfire posted:

Unless you consider lovely music a crime against humanity the Black Label Society fits the bill.

I guess I should have somehow clarified I meant "society" as used to represent an entire population of a country, so yeah you have me there

nobody ever gets some awesome job or saves a baby from a burning building then gets told "man, what a contribution to society that was"

the term seems to be pretty much used exclusively when somebody is talking about something they find offensive and wants to rationalize about how it drags down some abstract economic force our something, even though they never gave a single gently caress about the benefit of "society" up until that point

I probably don't have it in me to raise a downs kid either but the "ironic" "logic" being thrown around in this thread kind of ran out of funny before the second page, but everyone keeps posting about how horrible retards are because of some encounter they had when they were nine years old like nobody knows that they're just putting up a two dollar facade over the exact same kind of hate they bash in threads about racism or sexism

edit: megagatts is probably dead on though, but I would actually say the reality applies to a lot more parents than those of retarded kids, nobody would ever honestly say they regretted having a kid even if they 120% did

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
A bunch of xtians have this crazy idea that people with down's syndrome are 'human'... ridiculous I know

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Has anyone said "System of a Downs" yet?

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
I knew a girl with downs syndrome around my own age, but she was really high functioning and was like this sports champion in high school, not enough to go pro after school but otherwise awesome. And now she works in one of the highest law courts in the country, doing admin or something. Earns enough cash to actually support herself. (Yeah, the courts are legally obliged to employ x% disabled people, but hell, anyone'd be happy with that job.)

But I heard that literally everyone with downs develops alzheimers by age 40. All of them. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Also eugenics guys, downs is a chromosome number disorder. Those few people with downs who are actually fertile are exceedingly unlikely to bring a baby to term. If you multiply the cost of sterilising all of them by how many there are, and compare that number with society's cost for caring for one of their babies times the probability of that occurring, it's a massive difference. It's just fiscally irresponsible to use eugenics. Proof again that people on the political right know nothing about money.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

IronClaymore posted:

I knew a girl with downs syndrome around my own age, but she was really high functioning and was like this sports champion in high school, not enough to go pro after school but otherwise awesome. And now she works in one of the highest law courts in the country, doing admin or something. Earns enough cash to actually support herself. (Yeah, the courts are legally obliged to employ x% disabled people, but hell, anyone'd be happy with that job.)

But I heard that literally everyone with downs develops alzheimers by age 40. All of them. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Also eugenics guys, downs is a chromosome number disorder. Those few people with downs who are actually fertile are exceedingly unlikely to bring a baby to term. If you multiply the cost of sterilising all of them by how many there are, and compare that number with society's cost for caring for one of their babies times the probability of that occurring, it's a massive difference. It's just fiscally irresponsible to use eugenics. Proof again that people on the political right know nothing about money.

can we just send them all downs to and island?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

IronClaymore posted:

Proof again that people on the political right know nothing about money.

rightwingers, noted supporters of abortion

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

dontcareaboutname posted:

can we just send them all downs to and island?

"We're going to send you to Down's Island...don't worry, it's just a name."
*Next scene, running from a band of retards*
"The judge said it was just a name!"
"What he meant was this is actually a peninsula."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I suggested this and got banned for it.

yeah but you were right

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

MegaGatts posted:

I dont want this post to make it sound like I dont think retarded people deserve good lives and care, but the fact of the matter is they rarely get it, they are a burden of their family, and usually suffer from a series of horrible illnesses.

There are tragic accidents of genetics that make it impossible to tell if a child is retarded until its born, in those cases ky heart goes out to the family. However, it is the apex of selfishness to have a retarded child knowingly. You burden everyone who comes in contact with it.
Sad but informative post.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ugh a retard get it away

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZDl_R8Zp2E

Happier than you and me.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I quoted you as an example of common loving sense. You are fine. This thread seems to be full of the emotionally retarded, though.

I once imagined some kind of device that would allow someone to literally walk in another's shoes for a day, a week, a year and see what it was like to be that other person. But, I realized that even if that were possible, only the open minded would comprehend what they had just lived through. You can't fix bigotry and you can't fix stupid.
you sound really deep

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Coldbird posted:

I guess I should have somehow clarified I meant "society" as used to represent an entire population of a country, so yeah you have me there

nobody ever gets some awesome job or saves a baby from a burning building then gets told "man, what a contribution to society that was"

the term seems to be pretty much used exclusively when somebody is talking about something they find offensive and wants to rationalize about how it drags down some abstract economic force our something, even though they never gave a single gently caress about the benefit of "society" up until that point

I probably don't have it in me to raise a downs kid either but the "ironic" "logic" being thrown around in this thread kind of ran out of funny before the second page, but everyone keeps posting about how horrible retards are because of some encounter they had when they were nine years old like nobody knows that they're just putting up a two dollar facade over the exact same kind of hate they bash in threads about racism or sexism

edit: megagatts is probably dead on though, but I would actually say the reality applies to a lot more parents than those of retarded kids, nobody would ever honestly say they regretted having a kid even if they 120% did

Yeah I only came back to this to see what people are still blathering on about. Talking about stretching a joke to it's limits

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Dolphin posted:

you sound really deep

Nope, I am really quite boring. And I keep posting serious poo poo on a comedy forum. gently caress.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nope, I am really quite boring. And I keep posting serious poo poo on a comedy forum. gently caress.
i laughed at it, if it makes you feel any better.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

therattle posted:

As for health, quality of life concerns, burden to society etc - those aren't particularly valid.

Oh come on now. Why not?

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Please never leave your kid alone with anyone who cant defend themselves. They don't have the social blockse to understand their effect on others. They just know if something feels good (like sex), they'll do it. Its depressingly common

Really? Source???

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Tim Harris, owner of Tim's Place, is the country's only restaurant owner with Down's Syndrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6He0FWoFj0

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the issue is you can tell a fetus has a disability but not how severe and then you're just gambling.

Because there are clearly people with mental disabilities that have good lives and do things. Unfortunately there are also the ones who have more severe forms and essentially have the mental equivalency of a toddler their whole lives.

This poo poo is depressing we should just figure out a way to modify the genes of fetuses before they are born instead.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Coldbird posted:

has anyone ever used the word "society" outside the context of trying to rationalize crimes against humanity

Whenever my grandmother wants to say blacks are all stupid and lazy without outing herself as a terrible human being, she laments the "problems in our society" while literally making mystic handwavey gestures.

So probably not in my family.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

babypolis posted:

a mild case sound worse because they can be more aware of how deficient they are

was hoping the babypolis would turn up

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
If they did there would be no way to do a remake of Life Goes On.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

I think the issue is you can tell a fetus has a disability but not how severe and then you're just gambling.

Because there are clearly people with mental disabilities that have good lives and do things. Unfortunately there are also the ones who have more severe forms and essentially have the mental equivalency of a toddler their whole lives.

This poo poo is depressing we should just figure out a way to modify the genes of fetuses before they are born instead.
that's what abortion is for dude

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

MegaGatts posted:

As someone who works with retarded people I can say with 100% accuracy that parents with retarded children are far less happy. Sure it may not manifest right away. The first 12 or so years they're basically normal parents with an emotional time bomb they're avoiding. In those years they tell themselves, "my child will be the one to beat the odds. He might not be a genius, but he could get a job and have a good life.". This falls apart at the beginning of the teenage years at the latest. They see how stunted their child is compared to their peers. They realize the work they have to put in just to keep their child alive is greater than the effort a parent of a normal child needs to expend for their child to thrive.

The doctors visits intensify at puberty when inappropriate sexual behavior shows up. They have to deal with the embarrassment of their son or daughter masturbating in public, flashing their junk to other children, and the scores of sessions with psychologists to keep these u der control. This is when some kind of chronic physical illness shows up, it could be anything from malformed arches that cause pain just from walking to diabetes. One thing is for sure, there will be one long term, chronic illness to hit a retarded person before 21. The parents are used to it by this point. Their illusions that their child will have a good life are shattered. The most they can hope for is that the child will be somewhat happy. They over indulge their kid, usually with food because lovely food is the best thing they can afford after their bank account has been sucked dry over the years by the doctor visits and specialized care. If they're very well off they may over indulge with DVDs or some other kind of stimulation they pray will make their child happy.

Around this time they start looking for options for their kid, the 8 hours aday of respite public school gave then evaporates around 19 or 20. They'll try to meet its needs themselves, but eventually that'll wear them so ragged they'll look for homes. The guilt for putting them in one never really leaves because 99% of homes are horrible places you wouldn't want to put an animal.

The saddest part is when asked if they're happy they'll say yes, like the most insidious form of Stockholm syndrome. Of course if you deal with them over a period of time you'll see them cry a lot.

Really, if youre pregnant with a retarded child please abort it. You'll be so much happier.

I dont want this post to make it sound like I dont think retarded people deserve good lives and care, but the fact of the matter is they rarely get it, they are a burden of their family, and usually suffer from a series of horrible illnesses.

There are tragic accidents of genetics that make it impossible to tell if a child is retarded until its born, in those cases ky heart goes out to the family. However, it is the apex of selfishness to have a retarded child knowingly. You burden everyone who comes in contact with it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Kyrie eleison posted:

A bunch of xtians have this crazy idea that people with down's syndrome are 'human'... ridiculous I know

also like to pat themselves on the back for prolonging the immeasurable agony and suffering of retarded and/or sick people by denying them euthanasia

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

IronClaymore posted:

Here's the really scary thing about downs syndrome: not all of them are mentally retarded. About 10% are of average intelligence. They're not going to be doctors or rocket scientists, but outside of their obvious physical attributes, they're no more retarded than the average person.

Imagine the hard luck of being normal in a retard body... Pretty chilling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

Humans who could have been different, not severely damaged/miserable humans if their parents had been capable of making responsible choices.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Downs people are generally far more productive and enjoyable to be around than autists so why are we not aborting and gassing autists?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Downs people are generally far more productive and enjoyable to be around than autists so why are we not aborting and gassing autists?

Autists have been successfully shackled into the tech industry to make us gadgets and doodads.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003

loving right, man.

Those of us who lack compassion are more emotionally retarded than the intellectually retarded we are making fun of. Every guy in this thread under twenty six or so is somewhat excused because the male brain hasn't finished developing yet. Do you guys know that? Do any of you see the irony in that fact?

Nevertheless, I wish all children were born healthy, because it almost breaks my heart to see a disabled child. I mean seriously, what the gently caress? How the gently caress is this remotely fair to anyone? gently caress.

This post gave me down syndrome

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

bigzak posted:

This post gave me down syndrome

I know, I know. A serious post on a comedy site. But it's common knowledge that the prefrontal cortex is not fully developed in men until the mid twenties or maybe even the thirties. poo poo. That part of your brain controls impulsiveness, problem solving and a bunch of other really important things.

That means a lot of you are, well, to put it bluntly, retarded. Not 20 IQ retarded, but your valuable reasoning abilities haven't finished developing yet. You are very likely doing something right now that will embarrass your thirty year old self. The irony is that even if your thirty year old self showed up to talk you out of whatever it is you are doing, you'd still tell him to gently caress off.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 30, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not like normal people aren't equally as retarded most times.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003

I know, I know. A serious post on a comedy site. But it's common knowledge that the prefrontal cortex is not fully developed in men until the mid twenties or maybe even the thirties. poo poo. That part of your brain controls impulsiveness, problem solving and a bunch of other really important things.

That means a lot of you are, well, to put it bluntly, retarded. Not 20 IQ retarded, but your valuable reasoning abilities haven't finished developing yet. You are very likely doing something right now that will embarrass your thirty year old self. The irony is that even if your thirty year old self showed up to talk you out of whatever it is you are doing, you'd still tell him to gently caress off.

You have down syndrome

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Moridin920 posted:

Autists have been successfully shackled into the tech industry to make us gadgets and doodads.

I wouldn't call it successful since they're still allowed to mingle with the general population.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

bigzak posted:

You have down syndrome

No, nope, I don't think so. My chromosome count appears normal. I'm just sharing information. You are going to have to do better than some limp dick one liners, man.

I know this forum is just for shits and giggles, but I like to share information that someone might find valuable. bigzak, you are clearly not the target audience.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I mean, I guess as long as I am not forced to have a Downs baby then I don't really care if other people choose that particular method of ruining their life.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Maoist Pussy posted:

I mean, I guess as long as I am not forced to have a Downs baby then I don't really care if other people choose that particular method of ruining their life.

well except then they'll demand that public education gives them private tutors and healthcare to fix all the hosts of problems at the taxpayers expense and subsidize their willingly downie. then if the parents somehow outlive their downie, the downie will become homeless, possibly violent or something and will end up in jail taking up space and costing you money. at least smokers pay taxes on cigerettes and alcholics pay alcohol tax. there should be a down syndrome tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

seriously its because the tests are only just now becoming a possible reality. basically what i'm saying is give it time.

my fiancee and i are expecting and we are getting the blood test done this week and if it tests positive for DS she said she would keep it. i may have to sever.

• Locked thread