Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dolphin posted:

i bet if you had aborted you'd also say you were glad you did

Actually, I think we would have felt miserable and guilty, but who knows if that's post-hoc rationalisation.

BUSH 2112 posted:

some people don't abort fetuses that are developing without brains and whatnot because they care more about themselves and their stupid ideals than keeping someone from spending a life full of misery and suffering, hth

My initial argument was about quality of life, but Downs people have a pretty good quality of life. They are generally happier than the population.

mookface posted:

Because blessed are the handicapped and disabled, teaching humility and that every life has value

Something along those lines, but unironically. On that note:

Xaris posted:

pretty much because of crazy religious people. the few parents i know of downies are jehova witnesses and mormons.

seriously abort that poo poo and then try again. unless you're like 40 year olds with fertility probs, its just dump a load in her vagina and try and try again until you get a non-downsie one. don't make the tax payers support your bad decisions by having all this extra special needs education for a downs kid that won't ever be able to work

Not everything can and should be measured by economic worth.

In our case there were fertility issues and this might be our only child, and that was probably a factor.

therattle fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

as a german i think im qualified to say that eugenics is good and owns

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

therattle posted:

In our case there were fertility issues and this might be our only child, and that was probably a factor.

Haha, I can't decide if not being able to have kids or only being able to have Down's kids is a shittier deal.

Actually, I can. Not having kids is loving awesome.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

therattle posted:

Actually, I think we would have felt miserable and guilty, but who knows if that's post-hoc rationalisation.

My initial argument was about quality of life, but Downs people have a pretty good quality of life. They are generally happier than the population.

holy poo poo don't go into down syndrome abortion threads if you're the parent of a kid with downs, what kind of crazy masochist are you?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
So in this thread we have downs dad desperately trying to rationalize a bad decision because he would rather force a child to live with a debilitating medical condition their entire life, only to be neglected after his parents die, than to adopt a perfectly healthy child that needed a home.

What an idiot.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therattle posted:

holy poo poo dude, some things you just don't do to yourself. having a downs syndrome kid is one. having a downs syndrome kid and defending the decision in a downs syndrome abortion thread on a comedy forum is another.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hobohemian posted:

So in this thread we have downs dad desperately trying to rationalize a bad decision because he would rather force a child to live with a debilitating medical condition their entire life, only to be neglected after his parents die, than to adopt a perfectly healthy child that needed a home.

What an idiot.

Son, I love you so much that we didn't eliminate you before you could be born with a mental condition and instead let you be born with a mental condition that will cripple you for life.

Only a Down's person would get that logic.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Talking of abortions ...

this thread

lol

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

therattle posted:

Not really the point. Refusing to abort a fetus with a debilitating condition because of some idealistic view of humanity is essentially the same as choosing to give that person the condition (if you live in a state where abortion is actually relatively easy to get.) Quality of life isn't the point, the point is that you're going to be robbing an actual adult human being of agency, rather than terminating an unconscious fetus.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also why don't we call them downies, that's much quicker

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

if everyone had downs everyone would be happy all the time

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
my anencephaly baby loves to play dressup

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Dolphin posted:

also why don't we call them downies, that's much quicker

if they want to have sex with horses can we call them brownies?

porkchop_express fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 11, 2014

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
People need to look on the bright side. Trisomy 21 is the least awful trisomy (other than those involving X and Y).

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
I keep rooting my brain around for the Sarah Palin joke that I know can be made in this thread, but I can't seem to find the drat thing.

E: Trigger warning for the downs Dad ad anyone else offended by downs syndrome jokes

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 11, 2014

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

BUSH 2112 posted:

Not really the point. Refusing to abort a fetus with a debilitating condition because of some idealistic view of humanity is essentially the same as choosing to give that person the condition (if you live in a state where abortion is actually relatively easy to get.) Quality of life isn't the point, the point is that you're going to be robbing an actual adult human being of agency, rather than terminating an unconscious fetus.

Not everyone with downs has lack of agency, there are some very mild cases

i actually had a house inspection done by a guy with very mild downs. Whether or not that was a good decision on my part is another discussion entirely. Dude completely missed the fact that the oven didn't work.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sinten posted:

holy poo poo don't go into down syndrome abortion threads if you're the parent of a kid with downs, what kind of crazy masochist are you?

You make a good point!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Probably a grand total of two people in this thread who've ever actually interacted with someone with Down syndrome for more than five minutes total.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
what kind of person spends 5 mins interacting with downs seriously what are you trying to accomplish

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dik-dik posted:

Probably a grand total of two people in this thread who've ever actually interacted with someone with Down syndrome for more than five minutes total.
my brother in law has downs. he's a pretty cool dude. strange fashion sense though.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Everyone loves a puppy right? Then the thing grows up and you see another puppy and are like drat those are cute.

A downs baby is a puppy forever.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Chuck Tanner posted:

but then we wouldnt have rcman

nice try forums user chuck tanner

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

The miracle of life! People subjecting other human beings to a life of physical, mental and social hardship because they're too loving selfish to look beyond "yay we're having a baby!".

People who wouldn't accept buying a broken car that has no consciousness gleefully birthing a human reject that does. Makes no sense.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Melchior posted:

Not everyone with downs has lack of agency, there are some very mild cases

i actually had a house inspection done by a guy with very mild downs. Whether or not that was a good decision on my part is another discussion entirely. Dude completely missed the fact that the oven didn't work.

a mild case sound worse because they can be more aware of how deficient they are

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Most people do actually abort down syndrome babies. The few you see are from occasional idiots who think it is a good idea to carry a retard fetus to term. The medical community actually does lots of wise but controversial things on the quiet.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Like, they don't say this in public, but a lot of terminally ill people go out quietly on a morphine overdose.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

dik-dik posted:

when I was a kid the education system was retarded (a little down syndrome joke there for you) and they mixed in kids with mental handicaps into normal schools to teach normal kids a lesson about accepting others? It was loving stupid and failed horribly because people with mental disabilities obviously need very special care.

so yea, i found the down syndrome kid in the toilet with his pants down on the floor and he'd shat himself and got poo poo everywhere.

e: I didn't personally witness this but my sister, who's 4 years older than me, said in her class the down syndrome kid used to flip her bean in the playground all the time. like constantly.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 11, 2014

mucocele
Nov 3, 2012

therattle posted:

People with disabilities aren't happier than anyone else. They experience the same emotions we do, for the same reasons.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mucocele posted:

People with disabilities aren't happier than anyone else. They experience the same emotions we do, for the same reasons.
even people living with lobotomies?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

congrats on independently rediscovering nazi eugenics, been there, done that, didn't work out. just remember that every single poster on this forum wouldn't even exist if they had an easy test for autism risk factors in the 80s/90s, everyone except me is seen as unworthy of life by someone, somewhere. god bless :dings:

mucocele
Nov 3, 2012

Dolphin posted:

even people living with lobotomies?

Well, maybe not them.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

congrats on independently rediscovering nazi eugenics, been there, done that, didn't work out. just remember that every single poster on this forum wouldn't even exist if they had an easy test for autism risk factors in the 80s/90s, everyone except me is seen as unworthy of life by someone, somewhere. god bless :dings:

little tiny bit different than aborting alive people friend

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

Actually, most Downs babies are aborted, to the benefit of everyone involved.

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

dontcareaboutname posted:

hey now lots of them get work , because lots of states give a tax break for hiring them equal to most of their yearly pay.

It's not in their job description but those guys are so tightly knit they know by the size of the other smile that not only didn't they get some but if their mrs shaved her snatch, took it up the arse, gave head and swallowed of just have a hand job.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

therattle posted:

Downs people have a pretty good quality of life. They are generally happier than the population.

because they're loving retarded

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

The human race seeks to better itself intellectually and technologically, learning from the accomplishments of its progenitors and literally aiming for the stars, but talk about doing the same with genetics and people lose their minds.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

as a german i think im qualified to say that eugenics is good and owns

I KNEW IT!!!!

i'm watching you, fritz

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

dik-dik posted:

Yes, mainly due to the miracle of abortion.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

No matter what, I don't think anyone is ever going to say "gee, the world could really use more Down's cases" in response to the whole most Down's fetuses are aborted thing.

It would be pretty hosed up to suggest more people should have a mental disability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lazyfire posted:

It would be pretty hosed up to suggest more people should have a mental disability.

you need to meet more parents of retarded children

• Locked thread