Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I've encountered a few Down's people, and their parents were invariably religious nuts. You have to be really hosed in the head to not abort. You're guaranteeing the kid a life of horribly debilitating mental and physical problems. And with quadruple screens, Down's is not something that's missed. It's always the fuckhead parents choosing to go ahead with the pregnancy anyway despite being told that it's a horrible idea and that abortion is best for everyone involved.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
My mother in law has paraneoplastic limbic encephalitis. It's a rare form of dementia associated with cancer. She was only 57 years old when she got it, along with endometrial cancer. Her alcoholic deadbeat husband never told us she had gone crazy and basically left her to die on the couch. He also decided that was the perfect time to quit his job when he was carrying both of their health insurance through his work. He never came to the hospital to see her, even when she was having cancer surgery. Anyway, she has no memory of anything going on around her beyond about 30 seconds to a minute ago, she's delusional, she shits her pants and has even poo poo on the floor and in the shower, she starts fires. She requires assistance with dressing, eating, and using the bathroom and constant supervision. She uses diapers. Before we put double sided deadbolts and motion sensors on the doors, she would get out at night and wander around the neighborhood in her underwear. One time she almost became a silver alert, and the cops had to use a helicopter to locate her. She was sitting in her underwear in someone's backyard by their pool. She functions about on the level of maybe a 3 or 4 year old. We've seen multiple neurologists, but by the time the cancer was found using a PET Scan and they got anti-inflammatories onboard to treat the encephalitis, months had passed and there was just too much brain damage. It was also very hard to get a proper diagnosis of such a strange condition. We have been taking care of her for a year and we are desperately trying to get her on medicaid and into a nursing home. This situation has nearly destroyed us mentally, financially, and emotionally and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. We never asked for this, and if she had a real husband instead of a mooching alcoholic scumbag, we wouldn't be taking care of her like this. I have no idea why someone would chose this. And that's basically what having a Down's baby is. You're choosing to take care of a mentally disabled person for what could be decades. I've done it for a year now and I'm ready to go insane and probably will if we don't get her into a nursing home very soon.

Also she's crazy in ways you only read about in obscure passages in medical textbooks. She has something called reduplicative paramnesia where she thinks places have been copied, and all of the copies exist in Okeechobee, Florida. She also talks about people being copied and there being doubles and impostors of people. We have weird, extremely creepy conversations about the "other" people. Also we first learned of her insanity because she stopped going to work and just started buying tens of thousands of dollars of stuff from QVC and HSN. We had a very strange phone conversation where she talked about being inside the TV with the QVC people, which was what prompted us to go check on her, and how we found out she had gone batshit crazy. Her husband never called us or thought it would be a good idea to take her to a hospital, and she had been like that for at least a month. She had bought so much stuff we found her buried in boxes, not having showered in weeks and looking zombified. It took 6 carloads and using the loading docks at the post office to return all of it.

TLDR: Taking care of a mentally disabled person sucks. What kind of idiot would choose this?

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 6, 2014

• Locked thread