Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

aparmenideanmonad posted:

The implausible thing here is that the Japanese police are supposed to take orders from these US agents, but this is clearly an intentional plot point.

Yeah, this was mostly my beef right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Kolos posted:

Even "evil" fbi would be ok. But going to the airport to stop the bomb, the evil L, or the chess thing... oh the chess thing, is like finding were osama is but instead of sending a team to get the guy you send him love letters to lure him to go on a date to make him fall in your trap

Does the letter start with "Dear 'Osa-kun', 'Bin-kun', or 'La-chan'"?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Indiana_Krom posted:

It makes sense when you realize that the FBI/Americans are complete irredeemable cackling villains in this show. As the final episode comes up, expect the Japanese to save the day and show their superiority over the villainous Americans. So I agree, episode killed the show for American viewers.

Eh, I feel ambivalent towards the usual villains being 9/10 cases Americans somehow, someway in anime. I mean, it IS fairly common in many series but it I still find the other parts to be entertaining. Yes, I'm mildly disappointed the plot-line is going all Death Note on us with the chess board reference.

Hopefully, the ending will not be too implausible.

Side note: I love Five's English.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing Five is in charge because no one wanted to admit that they couldn't understand a single word that came out of her mouth so they just agreed with everything she said.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

It makes sense when you realize that the FBI/Americans are complete irredeemable cackling villains in this show. As the final episode comes up, expect the Japanese to save the day and show their superiority over the villainous Americans. So I agree, episode killed the show for American viewers.
In the show, it's pretty obvious that the higher ups in the Japanese police force and government are bad too so...

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Lonely Wizard posted:

Can somebody tell Japan how chess works?

You know, I was disappointed by the chess thing and a little confused as to why the FBI wasn't just nabbing the terrorists instead of letting their girl wonder play games with them.. but I was willing to run with the anime. I didn't even notice they'd hosed up the basic rules of chess, now I'm not sure I can continue to suspend my disbelief, this is poo poo.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well, we got the team-up we were expecting, but they played it pretty smartly. Shibazaki clearly doesn't like Sphinx OR Five and her FBI Cohorts, and Shibazaki now knows who Nine is by appearance.

There's a whole lot of stuff going on in this episode and it's really great overall, I think. There's a pretty nice little dynamic betwee everything.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Was dumb how Five could just instantly tell Lisa was the culprit just because she was a bit nervous and clumsy in a huge crowd.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah that's my only real complaint. I mean she did kinda break out into a run immediately afterwards so it's not like she was being sneaky but there really should have been more to it than that.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
This show makes me angry at how stupid it has become. The initial premise was ridiculous, obviously, but they played it straight. The cat and mouse stuff was tense and interesting. Then Five showed up, ugh. Too bad Nine or Shibazaki did not put a bullet in her head when they had the chance.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

"Get Apple Police over here, now!"

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

grrarg posted:

This show makes me angry at how stupid it has become. The initial premise was ridiculous, obviously, but they played it straight. The cat and mouse stuff was tense and interesting. Then Five showed up, ugh. Too bad Nine or Shibazaki did not put a bullet in her head when they had the chance.

I still love this show so much, but I agree with this too. I do not understand how this woman has so much control and how no one working for her is stopping to think "Wait isn't this poo poo going a little too far?" They're supposedly the FBI but at this point I'm hoping that it's all a sham and that it's actually the secret organization from Iceland pretending to be the FBI.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the new episode was really exciting and the music was good as always

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I find the dilemma the last two episodes really dumb because surely everyone would notice that all the previous attacks were accompanied by video announcements with the two and this one wasn't and was anonymous?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
My complaint is that it didn't end with Shibazaki cuffing Five and saying "You're under arrest for terrorism, illegal use of explosives, and multiple counts of attempted murder."
Since, y'know, all the crimes she committed. With all the airport staff as witnesses.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think people are giving the FBI too much benefit if the doubt that they have public safety and integrity in mind with these activities. If anything I'm betting they are more concerned with shutting Sphinx up than anything else so they are entirely willing to put people's lives in danger. This is of course assuming that they are actually FBI at all and aren't the organization masquerading as it and pulling one over on the Japanese police.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Von really cares about blowing up that plant. At this point I'm convinced the punchline was that Von did 9/11.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Neeksy posted:

I think people are giving the FBI too much benefit if the doubt that they have public safety and integrity in mind with these activities. If anything I'm betting they are more concerned with shutting Sphinx up than anything else so they are entirely willing to put people's lives in danger. This is of course assuming that they are actually FBI at all and aren't the organization masquerading as it and pulling one over on the Japanese police.

Another reason I think it's not FBI is why the gently caress would the FBI, knowing that This Exact Airport is a target of Sphinx, bring An Actual loving Bomb and not, like, pretend they've got one? Because at the end of the day, Sphinx succeeded in their objective of striking that airport without killing anyone, and it's not like they could've figured out Five was bluffing.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The writing on this show is pretty terrible.

Everything else is still really good though, so I'm probably going to keep watching it.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
While the show has gotten admittedly kinda dumb plot-wise, the show is drat good at pulling its thematic throughlines together. Nine and Twelve reach out to their sole human connections to thwart Five, who is basically just an Evil Mirror-Universe amalgamation of them both. I think the best moment in the whole episode is when Shibazaki shows up in the control tower, prompting a bewildered "Wait, another one?!" look on Five's face. Just Lisa was enough to throw her plans off, but Nine and Twelve also having Shibazaki on hand was totally inconceivable for her, as one who has thrown away her human connections.

For what was really just a Power of Shounen Friendship resolution in a Thriller disguise, it was quite effective.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Monathin posted:

In regards to putting corruption into the limelight through terrorist acts instead of just hacking, I'm pretty sure the reason is going to boil down to the amount of people this reaches and spreads to, compared to a simple hack-and-dump. Any time Sphinx moves, it's breaking news all over. A standard hacking job could probably be easily dismissed or die out due to the lack of people who care, but because of how widespread Sphinx is now due to their actions, they can expose the corruption on a grand scale and allow people to properly get outraged

It's actually pretty drat clever and I've been impressed with how much thought has gone into this.

Not really if the aim is simply to reveal corruption, committing terrorism while somehow ensuring no casualties is a whole lot of unnecessary work compared to just airing a half hour documentary detailing the corruption over Sazae-san

Anyway the whole show is unfeasible from the get go, the protagonist would be pretty quickly picked up once the cops go through who would happen to have enough high explosive to level a skyscraper and go from there, it's not like you can pick it up at the local 7-11.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

mikemil828 posted:

Not really if the aim is simply to reveal corruption, committing terrorism while somehow ensuring no casualties is a whole lot of unnecessary work compared to just airing a half hour documentary detailing the corruption over Sazae-san

Anyway the whole show is unfeasible from the get go, the protagonist would be pretty quickly picked up once the cops go through who would happen to have enough high explosive to level a skyscraper and go from there, it's not like you can pick it up at the local 7-11.

Didn't they make the bombs out of thermite, which is aluminium and iron oxide. Hardly semtex.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mikemil828 posted:

Yeah, the whole thing is just unbelievable as heck, for many, many reasons so trying to analyze all the ways they could be caught, or how ridiculous/unlikely situation X was is not the point.

A show like this depends on how well can they craft the thriller situations, if they are exciting and tense then the show'll be good. Unfortunately it has beem pretty meh in that respect. (And Lisa annoys me).

Also, if they managed to steal plutonium of all things they could also have a van full of semtex and a predator drone for all I care.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Szmitten posted:

I find the dilemma the last two episodes really dumb because surely everyone would notice that all the previous attacks were accompanied by video announcements with the two and this one wasn't and was anonymous?
This is the one issue I have with the past two episodes. I don't think Shibazaki even mentioned the lack of a video when he was first thinking the airport bomb wasn't Sphinx.
And I get that people would find it hard to believe a terrorist group saying "that bombing wasn't us, honest" but couldn't Nine and Twelve put out a video saying "there is a copycat bomber, if there is not a video from us beforehand then it's not us"?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
For the first 3 episodes I was hopeful that the show wouldn't be completely style-over-substance. I gave up on that as soon as Five appeared. I'm still enjoying it and want to know what happens, but my expectations have changed drastically.

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013
I'm getting the sense that Five is going to be in this show for the long run and I'm not thrilled about that. Hoping that her involvement becomes more interesting/believable/anything positive.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

a kitten posted:

There's a part of the OP song that sounds exactly like a piece of another show's music and it's driving me crazy that I can't remember what it is. Anyone have an idea? I suspect it's another Kanno composition.

It's the bit from 5 to 8 seconds to be specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwoU6nHxw6E

edit: i dunno why the fuckin time code won't embed right. :argh:

Speaking about music, what also drives me crazy is when I hear a great piece of music, only to find out that it isn't included in the OST for whatever reason.

Specifically the piano/violin track that plays when they walk into the airport.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
https://twitter.com/zankyono_terror/status/499967618883657729

So episode 8 has been delayed until September 4th. Which means episode 9 will be airing on.... September 11th... :tinfoil:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Commandante posted:

Speaking about music, what also drives me crazy is when I hear a great piece of music, only to find out that it isn't included in the OST for whatever reason.

Specifically the piano/violin track that plays when they walk into the airport.

Only gotta wait till 10/22 for the second OST.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Speaking of(a longass time ago), the one song from the OST I remember immediately hating comes on, and it weirdly sort of works?? drat, this sound direction :allears:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

That was the most Yoko Kannoy episode.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Oh just take the loving donut shibazaki, be a sport. e: Awwwwww :allears:

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 5, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think everyone predicted that eventually Shibazaki would be taken off the case, but it sucks that it happened because of Five!

The parts without Five were enjoyable but man, she really drags everything down when she's involved.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Srice posted:

The parts without Five were enjoyable but man, she really drags everything down when she's involved.

And now we get to look forward to her emotionally torturing Lisa for the next few episodes. Bonus points for lesbian undertones.

Aren't you excited?

Still waiting for them to "pull the trigger on this world".

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Too much rapey gay, not enough terrorist brotherhood gay.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
japan has nuns?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
New episode is up and I think it was really great. I know some goons have been saying the ending would be predictable, but I think they've done a great job of misdirection by making the "team-up" scene happen earlier then expected and not likely to happen again. The U.S I also think, is not quite clear cut as "the bad guys" as people think the show was making them out to be as well.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like how this episode addressed how Five is so much less natural and more 'anime' a character than the rest of the cast. The Athena Project was designed to dehumanise its subjects, turning them into tools for the government (the names are a bit of a clue), and whilst Nine and Twelve managed to retain some of their humanity by escaping, Five ended up as the sole completed model. I wouldn't be surprised if that weird pseudo-schoolgirl outfit was designed by a corporation to make her more marketable or something.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

So did everyone forget about this show once Five showed up? I admit it's not as great as I was expecting from Watanabe but it seems like a lot of anime fans have just written it off now. I still think it's one of the best shows this season (my personal top 3) especially with this latest episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Admoon posted:

So did everyone forget about this show once Five showed up? I admit it's not as great as I was expecting from Watanabe but it seems like a lot of anime fans have just written it off now. I still think it's one of the best shows this season (my personal top 3) especially with this latest episode.

I think after Five took over a lot of people decided to take a break and hear how it ends.

Though even without Five, I can't blame them. It really feels like the sort of show where a poor ending could retroactively ruin a lot.

• Locked thread