Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

lesbian baphomet posted:

i mean Bravely Default alone is probably enough to make it the strongest RPG system in years, but when you add the SMT series plus all the other random stuff like fe and pokemon? poo poo man

Yeah I forgot about BD and SMT4. But you have stuff like Persona 5 and everything else Atlus coming to other systems that is not Persona Q. NIS is releasing a shitload of games for the PS3 still, all the Tales games are coming to the Vita, PS3, and PS4. Final Fantasy Type Zero and the rest of the Kingdom hearts games are coming to the PS3 and PS4. And Xenoblade Chronicles X is hitting the Wii-U.

the 3DS just seems lacking for RPGs as far as the rest of 2014 seems to go. I mean yeah there's the Pokémon remakes and PQ, but you're not getting poo poo on the levels of the console counterparts in quality or quantity.

The one thing that I like that Bravely Default did was make square go "ooooooooooh sheeeeeeeeeeiiit that was a bad idea" when it came to putting everything on the IOS as a main priority.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Is it even possible to keep the formula fresh? We've already seen games that are basically FMVs with occasional button pressing. There's a reason some 20 year old games haven't aged one bit.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kazvall posted:

Is it even possible to keep the formula fresh? We've already seen games that are basically FMVs with occasional button pressing. There's a reason some 20 year old games haven't aged one bit.

Angry Birds is just a colorful version of Gorilla DOS. Candy Crush is tetris but worse.

people are still playing 30-40 year old game formulas like they're new

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah I forgot about BD and SMT4. But you have stuff like Persona 5 and everything else Atlus coming to other systems that is not Persona Q. NIS is releasing a shitload of games for the PS3 still, all the Tales games are coming to the Vita, PS3, and PS4. Final Fantasy Type Zero and the rest of the Kingdom hearts games are coming to the PS3 and PS4. And Xenoblade Chronicles X is hitting the Wii-U.

the 3DS just seems lacking for RPGs as far as the rest of 2014 seems to go. I mean yeah there's the Pokémon remakes and PQ, but you're not getting poo poo on the levels of the console counterparts in quality or quantity.

The one thing that I like that Bravely Default did was make square go "ooooooooooh sheeeeeeeeeeiiit that was a bad idea" when it came to putting everything on the IOS as a main priority.

for the past generation RPGs were really split between consoles, there wasnt any clear platform for good jrpgs or even many great ones being released in the first place. like out of the 360/ps3 generation, the PS2 was still the clear winner for jrpg gaming.

so even if the ps3 is finally getting some stuff coming out soon, it doesnt have much in the way of a meaningful existing & exclusive jrpg library (unless you loved ff13, haha, who the gently caress are you), while the 3ds already has a huge one that you could play today and right now

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 13, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I also have a problem where I feel like sprites have a lot more character. I'm not a graphics snob because I see the loving world in 3D. I just want a game that has a great art direction and is unique. It doesn't need to be photo-realistic. The story should immerse you.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
persona is stupid and lame who cares where it comes out. smt4 is enough to make the 3ds the rpg platform of choice. actually it's the only 3ds game i have that i really like and its enough to make me happy about my 3ds purchase

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

fronz posted:

persona is stupid and lame who cares where it comes out. smt4 is enough to make the 3ds the rpg platform of choice. actually it's the only 3ds game i have that i really like and its enough to make me happy about my 3ds purchase

Not saying the game is bad, but it certainly doesn't feel like the 3DS has a monopoly on the genre like the PS2 did. 3DS just makes up a part of of it. You're still going to need a PS3, PS4, PC, and Wii-U and maybe a Vita/Playstation TV.

But you won't need an Xbox One. That poo poo is dead to the genre.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

please stop talking about SMTIV and how good it is

as a European it hurts that we still haven't gotten it yet

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

nobody's gonna have a monopoly on the genre anymore, at least not unless something big changes to shake up the consoles. its just not how the market is anymore. i mean sony and nintendo are always gonna be better at it than the latest xbox, but the ps2 captured exclusives from a lot of game companies who weren't familiar with developing for anything but it, plus coming the gen right after Nintendo had completely abandoned console jrpgs with the 64.

i'm just saying that if you want to have recent, currently released jrpgs from the past gen, pretty much everything worth playing besides Vesperia and disgaea 4 and maaaybe something else i'm forgetting is on 3ds

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
are people even really making jrpgs anymore

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

fronz posted:

RPGMaker still exists

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

fronz posted:

yeah, but only barely.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Seshoho Cian posted:

RPGMaker still exists

lol

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Seshoho Cian posted:

RPGMaker still exists

That Politically correct woman impossible to be sexist feminism RPG has been restarted a billion times because they're using RPG maker and keep needing to remake poo poo because they buy every new version. Also the Political Correctness rules change every month and they find some brave new discovery of some subgroup that needs to be added and they've been working on it for around the same time as that crazy guy who wanted Nintendo to publish his game and stalked reggie. They have somewhere between 90+ character all with some halfassed story.

Meanwhile Banner Saga got released and that game also has a shitload of party members.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

That Politically correct woman impossible to be sexist feminism RPG has been restarted a billion times because they're using RPG maker and keep needing to remake poo poo because they buy every new version. Also the Political Correctness rules change every month and they find some brave new discovery of some subgroup that needs to be added and they've been working on it for around the same time as that crazy guy who wanted Nintendo to publish his game and stalked reggie. They have somewhere between 90+ character all with some halfassed story.

Meanwhile Banner Saga got released and that game also has a shitload of party members.

Bob's Game tried kickstarter twice and the second time was funded successfully almost entirely by the programmer of the Stanley Parable

If the funding for the second Kickstarter failed he was going to go back to college and try to get a real job

Dec 26, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

im not seeing a correlation between these two statements

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

The severely mentally ill scam artist still has not done anything of value

Meanwhile, normal people made videogames

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
1. Snes
2. Psx
3. Pc

With emulation its:

1. Pc

Dec 26, 2012

lesbian baphomet posted:

The severely mentally ill scam artist still has not done anything of value

Meanwhile, normal people made videogames

makes sense i guess

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I liked Kingdom Hearts, it was alot of fun.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The only RPG I find myself still replaying to this day are Shining Force I and II. So Genesis.

Never got a change to play III because I never could get a Saturn emu to work right and that nonce TotalBiscuit abandoned his Let's Play of it.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The only RPG I find myself still replaying to this day are Shining Force I and II. So Genesis.

Never got a change to play III because I never could get a Saturn emu to work right and that nonce TotalBiscuit abandoned his Let's Play of it.

I really wanted to throw Sega in with SNES because of these two games, I also played Phantasy Star 3, but it was too complicated for me at the time.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
all i know is that the ps3 is the worst for jrpgs because holy poo poo all of the worst ones came out for ps3.

thanks nis

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
there is this game, called crossedge

check it out

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Matoi Ryuko posted:

I really wanted to throw Sega in with SNES because of these two games, I also played Phantasy Star 3, but it was too complicated for me at the time.

I rented SFII from a blockbuster when I was 8, and never returned it and we could never go back but it went out of business anyway. I must have beaten that game 25 times by now. The cart is dead, but I bust out the emulator at least once a year to play again and try out different party combos.

Never tried a hero-only run, though. Maybe I'll do that this year.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

stoutfish posted:

there is this game, called crossedge

check it out

No joke I found that game and bought it for a few bucks and that very night I got sick and threw up all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

um probably the nintendo portables because they have POKEMON

thread over

• Locked thread