Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

You just can't beat the PlayStation when it comes to amazing RPGs. Some of my favorites of all time, including, Wild Arms - Alundra - Legend of Legaia - Xenogears - Vagrant Story - Suikoden and many many more are on the PS1. There was a great mix of ARPGs, JRPGs, WRPGs, sidescrolling and isometric games with 'rpg lite' elements. gently caress FF7, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

pc has morrowind, planescape, baldurs gate II, ff7, fallout, etc

I enjoy pc rpg games as well such as deus ex

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

PS2 is hard to deny if you count backwards compatibility.

Dreamcast, if it had lasted longer, would have gotten a lot more american releases of sweet jap RPGs. Oh well.

Excuse me while I go play record of lodoss war.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Seshoho Cian posted:

I've never played Vagrant Story but I remember a lot of people saying it's really good, does it still hold up?

You know I haven't played it in years. Most of the PS RPGs hold up pretty well. Except for Wild Arms where the remake is a lot better because the 3d models during fighting were pretty loving bad.

Hard to beat this list...

Xenogears
Valkyrie Profile
Suikoden
Wild Arms
Vagrant Story
Legend of Legaia
Grandia
Monster Rancher
Lunar
Alundra
Breath of Fire
Vandal Hearts
Saga Frontier
Final Fantasy Ad Nauseum
Legend of Dragoon
Chrono Cross
Thousand Arms
Arc the Lad
Guardian's Crusade
Jade Cocoon
King's Field
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Parasite Eve
Ogre Battle

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 12, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I need to fix my loving snes now you bastards. Do you know how much snes rpgs cost? gently caress me.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

surc posted:

lol you don't still own all of them

like most idiots I sold a good portion of my gaming poo poo years ago, I constantly regret it

like selling spiderman web of fire

kill me my life has no meaning or joy

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Well I have a friend who has enough games to open a gaming museum so it's time to knock him out steal his poo poo.

Panzer Dragoon? Thanks! Radiant Silvergun? Sure thing! Sealed Earthbound with stickers and poo poo? Eh, you can keep that one.

I'm going to have to take a trip to Japan, it's probably less in airfare than buying american released games.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The SF looks real sexy, too. You sold me. You fucker I love you.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Just snip two tabs from your American SNES and you can play Japanese games on American SNES.

Game genie method doesn't really work I tried, games always had issues, so I had to cut the tabs. SFC is a nice looking system but the money is better spent buying more games.

I am strangely OCD about playing games on the original hardware, but I can easily snip two suckers if I can actually get my SNES working. I know a shop down the street that has an SF, so we'll see how it goes.

Hopefully all I need is a new pin strip.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Down with emulation unless it lets me play coop games over the internet with people I can't see in person!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

surc posted:

Hmmm I don't read japanese, but I can get through these text heavy RPGs by following these english guides that tell me when to press A. Sounds like fun.

I have this jap import of a mech game called Framegride, for Dreamcast. It's from the makers of Armored Core. Sort of their take on Virtual On. There is a series of questions in the beginning, about 10 of them. All in japanese and all determining what kind of poo poo you get to start. After that, it was fun trying to reverse engineer the game to figure out what the gently caress was going on.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't the N64 total games list pretty small in general?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Is it even possible to keep the formula fresh? We've already seen games that are basically FMVs with occasional button pressing. There's a reason some 20 year old games haven't aged one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I also have a problem where I feel like sprites have a lot more character. I'm not a graphics snob because I see the loving world in 3D. I just want a game that has a great art direction and is unique. It doesn't need to be photo-realistic. The story should immerse you.

• Locked thread