Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It feels a little like blaming a rape victim, but this guy is a tremendous loving idiot who ignored all possible signs of his impending stretched rear end in a top hat. I notice that he only contacts the county inspector after he's laid his livelihood on the tracks and signed the giant "can we gently caress you with no possible recourse you dolt" form. Holy poo poo.

E: And, of course, gently caress the seller/realtor, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Alereon posted:

he did have the place inspected, inspectors are there to find incompetence and negligence not intentionally covered-up fraud.

For a $300 inspection fee, a different grizzled old gencon came to both of my pending homes (with my presence required) and spent three hours taking pictures while explaining everything he was doing, what he found that was/was not a problem, and delivered a 30-page packet of itemized, multi-disciplinary code footnotes with recommendations for longevity and importance throughout. The OP story dude magically discovered years of raccoon poo poo in his attic and a giant hole where they got in/out, which would have been apparent to even the most cursory inspection.

If he had his home inspected, this dude seems like the kind of guy who would detail getting the inspector's info from the county licensing official who came out afterwards, doesn't he? Not that he'd have to, though, because he would have had to hire the inspector himself if he didn't sign off on the 'as-is' clause, which he did. I don't think this guy got a pre-inspection.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

This thread and the OSHA thread are literally just shitdadstalkabout.php

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

It's almost like circumstances and preferences dictate where people want to live and there are manifold scenarios open to those who wish to plan for their future. My friends, this is why I want to invite you all to an investment opportunity I've recently come across. Have you heard of Wherever You're Knee-Deep in Vagina Properties, Inc?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Did someone say condo? Well, actually, I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Also, it's really not a good idea to blame the victim here. Regardless of the dead-eyed bad photo stare he was wearing, no one deserves this and we shouldn't focus on the victim so much as the damage created by the crooks.

Furthermore, this really looks like any one of us could have just as easily been the victim of the con job here - the crooks went to great lengths to cover their tracks and hide the faults in the house.

I feel like it's possible to sympathize while still being absolutely stymied by the victim's stupidity- I don't get a sense of true malice for the dude from this thread. I think it's just less interesting to talk about the sellers because they're anonymous and almost archetypal. Like, say one of your friends told the group of you that a man in a bar convinced him to eat a piece of dog poo poo and pick up the bar tab to boot. Sure, the brief initial response would be "wow, who the gently caress would do that to someone else and why?". But the remaining 90% of the story's lifecycle would be the lot of you making fun of your dumbass friend. The circumstances with this story are way more dire but the closeness to the victim is nonexistent, so it kinda balances out to the same net result.

And if the attic wasn't entered, and the gaping raccoon porte cochere was just flapping in the wind, those aren't hidden things- that's just not looking for the bad apple in the spoiled bunch.

• Locked thread