Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Suspicious Dish posted:

~ ☯ ~ The Basics ~ ☯ ~

What are otherkin?

People who don't identify as human. Usually they identify as some mythical or crypto-historical creature, like angels or dragons.

What are therians?

People who identify as members of historical animal species. This FAQ uses "otherkin" as a blanket term for both therians and otherkin, but not all therians call themselves otherkin.

What does it mean to "identify as" something?

To see yourself as that thing. It's like gender identity; seeing yourself as an otherkin just feels right, in a way that seeing yourself as human does not.

What are "kintype," "phenotype," "theritype" and the like?

These words are all used to indicate the specific non-human thing that an otherkin identifies as.

What "types" are there?

Where to start? There are dragonkin, demon- and angelkin, elves, vampires, and a whole slew of animals like foxes and wolves which may or may not have a magical aspect to them. I've even seen a swan here on Dreamwidth.

How come there aren't any cockroach- or naked mole rat-kin?

This question often comes up as a way to put otherkin in their place, so let's get it over with. Yes, most animals and mythical creatures that otherkin identify with are the "cool" ones.

There are two things to keep in mind here. First, otherkin often start on their journey to otherkin-ness by seeing a photo, or painting, or live example of their species that calls to them. Something that fills them with longing, or even with memories, and makes them yearn to live that creature's life.

Let's face it: there aren't a whole lot of chances for naked mole rat-kin to have that kind of experience. So if you want to blame someone, blame the world's artists and storytellers, for not depicting enough naked mole rats.

Second, otherkin aren't stuck identifying as the first species that calls to them. They might think they're a peregrine falcon at first, and then realize the tree swallow's closer to their heart. This doesn't mean they were wrong for choosing to identify as a falcon, earlier. It just means that they've found something more right for them. (Or even that they're both species at the same time.)

Personally, I've run across a combine harvester "machinekin." So I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

What about otherkin who say that they're fictional characters?

"Fictives" exist, and there's probably one of your favorite character. They're controversial even inside the otherkin community, for two reasons.

One is that many otherkin are as incredulous of fictives as many (if not most) humans are of otherkin. They believe that they live in a world where elves, dragons, and animals take human form, but the idea that their roommate is the Sephiroth -- much less that there are a dozen others who say they are, too -- just makes them shake their heads in disgust.

If you aren't an otherkin, this is obvious to you, but I'm going to point it out anyway: The otherkin who don't accept fictives lack empathy and self-awareness. They either don't realize, or don't care, that they're doing to other people what others have done to them. They don't see "because my life finally makes sense to me now" as a valid reason to identify as something. They want to decide who gets to be what, and they're miffed that fictives "chose" an identity that they don't like.

Sometimes they tell themselves stories about fictives, like "they're just saying it to make themselves feel special." As though no one has the right to feel special, and as though that'd make one bit of difference if it were true. Just like with otherkin stereotypes, these only serve to depersonalize the fictives in question, and to make it easier to deny them what they long for: To be accepted for who they are.

The second reason that fictives are controversial is that most otherkin on the Internet hold a first-world view of culture and copyright. They think it's okay for a large corporation to hold the exclusive rights to a myth, and to prevent others from telling stories about it or identifying with parts of it. And they don't see the disconnect between (for instance) drawing on stories of fox spirits to learn about their kitsune heritage, and telling someone he can't be Shippo.

~ ☯ ~ How to relate to otherkin ~ ☯ ~

Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am Lumière from Beauty and the Beast. That's just who I am.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

~ ☯ ~ The Basics ~ ☯ ~

What are otherkin?

People who don't identify as human. Usually they identify as some mythical or crypto-historical creature, like angels or dragons.

What are therians?

People who identify as members of historical animal species. This FAQ uses "otherkin" as a blanket term for both therians and otherkin, but not all therians call themselves otherkin.

What does it mean to "identify as" something?

To see yourself as that thing. It's like gender identity; seeing yourself as an otherkin just feels right, in a way that seeing yourself as human does not.

What are "kintype," "phenotype," "theritype" and the like?

These words are all used to indicate the specific non-human thing that an otherkin identifies as.

What "types" are there?

Where to start? There are dragonkin, demon- and angelkin, elves, vampires, and a whole slew of animals like foxes and wolves which may or may not have a magical aspect to them. I've even seen a swan here on Dreamwidth.

How come there aren't any cockroach- or naked mole rat-kin?

This question often comes up as a way to put otherkin in their place, so let's get it over with. Yes, most animals and mythical creatures that otherkin identify with are the "cool" ones.

There are two things to keep in mind here. First, otherkin often start on their journey to otherkin-ness by seeing a photo, or painting, or live example of their species that calls to them. Something that fills them with longing, or even with memories, and makes them yearn to live that creature's life.

Let's face it: there aren't a whole lot of chances for naked mole rat-kin to have that kind of experience. So if you want to blame someone, blame the world's artists and storytellers, for not depicting enough naked mole rats.

Second, otherkin aren't stuck identifying as the first species that calls to them. They might think they're a peregrine falcon at first, and then realize the tree swallow's closer to their heart. This doesn't mean they were wrong for choosing to identify as a falcon, earlier. It just means that they've found something more right for them. (Or even that they're both species at the same time.)

Personally, I've run across a combine harvester "machinekin." So I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

What about otherkin who say that they're fictional characters?

"Fictives" exist, and there's probably one of your favorite character. They're controversial even inside the otherkin community, for two reasons.

One is that many otherkin are as incredulous of fictives as many (if not most) humans are of otherkin. They believe that they live in a world where elves, dragons, and animals take human form, but the idea that their roommate is the Sephiroth -- much less that there are a dozen others who say they are, too -- just makes them shake their heads in disgust.

If you aren't an otherkin, this is obvious to you, but I'm going to point it out anyway: The otherkin who don't accept fictives lack empathy and self-awareness. They either don't realize, or don't care, that they're doing to other people what others have done to them. They don't see "because my life finally makes sense to me now" as a valid reason to identify as something. They want to decide who gets to be what, and they're miffed that fictives "chose" an identity that they don't like.

Sometimes they tell themselves stories about fictives, like "they're just saying it to make themselves feel special." As though no one has the right to feel special, and as though that'd make one bit of difference if it were true. Just like with otherkin stereotypes, these only serve to depersonalize the fictives in question, and to make it easier to deny them what they long for: To be accepted for who they are.

The second reason that fictives are controversial is that most otherkin on the Internet hold a first-world view of culture and copyright. They think it's okay for a large corporation to hold the exclusive rights to a myth, and to prevent others from telling stories about it or identifying with parts of it. And they don't see the disconnect between (for instance) drawing on stories of fox spirits to learn about their kitsune heritage, and telling someone he can't be Shippo.

~ ☯ ~ How to relate to otherkin ~ ☯ ~

This has to cross the line from "teenager" to "mentally ill", right? :ohdear:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

yellowD posted:

I loving hope so, gently caress

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

wasn't there a guy who identified as a tampon/pad?

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Suspicious Dish posted:

good soundtrack for easy listenin while you peruse this here prodigiously powerful post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr30FEkfevo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I prefer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWhtPByViJU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yep.

http://www.dailydot.com/society/florida-man-wants-to-be-kotex-maxi-pad/

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yes.

The future king of England, Prince Charles.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Tuxedo Gin posted:

haha this one rules

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

i am a naked mole ratkin but just for the naked mole rats that sit around doing nothing but eating all the time until someone comes and attacks the colony in which case i wedge my fatass into an entrance as a blockade.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Haha, "no cis scum, I'd rather you keep your dumb names because you're not as oppressed as we are"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I remember reading about some Anon going into an otherkin community for animals and fictive animals and essentially describing Yoshi from the Mario games as their animal so as to basically be divisive between those who thought they were trolling and those who thought they were genuine.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
http://emoti-con.net/

quote:

Emoti-Con Takes Indianapolis - June 19-21, 2015
We here at Emoti-Con are gearing up and getting ready for a fabulous summer event, and you should be too. Why? Because, if you like the internet, then you're going to love us...

Tumblr? Reddit? YouTube? Facebook? 4Chan? Us too.

Geeks? Gamers? Fashionistas? Activists? All of the above? Welcome home!

Emoti-Con aims to be the most comprehensive, internet-themed convention in the US. We love the internet, and we're making strides to embrace as much of it and as many of you as possible. After all, what is the internet without its users? And what is a convention without its attendees? Answer: Nothing.

That's where you come in. Watch this space, as more details and special guest information will be posted soon. Can't wait to see you all next year!

Whelp.

quote:

Emoti-Con 2015 all rights reserved by So Attacked Entertainment LLC

Gotta get on dat meme train

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Is it really inviting reddit and 4chan to participate? I thought tumblers had some sort of blood feud going on with 4 chan. Are we sure it's not a parody of dashcon that stole their spot?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We've made such a good job with a con for a very limited group of people who are all interested in similar things, that we are now ready to organise a con about everything on the Internet and invite people of radically different subcultures to attend.

E: On the other hand it does look like someone's hosed dashcon over and stolen their place. Which can only mean more tumblr drama.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Paladinus posted:

We've made such a good job with a con for a very limited group of people who are all interested in similar things, that we are now ready to organise a con about everything on the Internet and invite people of radically different subcultures to attend.

E: On the other hand it does look like someone's hosed dashcon over and stolen their place. Which can only mean more tumblr drama.

Let's start the betting pools now.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

yellowD posted:

Literally nothing counts as mental illness to these people

Legitimate psychopath - neuroatypical
Wants to cut off their own leg - body dysmorphia positivity
Thinks they're a loving swan - otherkin

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

They only had a tiny percentage of their expected attendees from tumblr. Why do the work to increase your popularity among your target demographic when you can just cast a wider net and target every demographic? That way, you can collect the same tiny percentage of people from every site. Hell, they're targeting the whole internet now, and there's like 3 billion internet users in the world. Emoti-Con is going to have like a hundred thousand attendees.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
that settles it. im going

btw pro hack for anybody who wants to get into a convention for free. search the convention or hotel website for the in house A/V company name. This is typically PSAV

walk in the dock

If anybody asks you whats up, which is very rare but depends on the venue, simply say youre looking for PSAV (or whoever) for a hot shot. It is so ridiculously common and normal for someone in normal clothes to say something like this (even in an unsure manner, ie temps) and you can just go inside. There will always be a service way into convention halls and rooms, typically bustling with staff. Once you're past the dock you are in an nobody will ever say anything to you ever. If someone asks you out of niceness, just say you're looking for the convention and they will tell you the best way to get there

Worst, worst case scenario is a dock master calls PSAV or whoever immediately or they happen to be right there, just say let me get my paperwork and leave lol. Out of the 100 times ive done this for real work purposes that has never been the case though.

The most trouble you will have is if the convention itself is checking passes at doors and entrances. Just say you're looking for PSAV. It's dat easy. Plus since you're now familiar with the service halls you can basically avoid all of that. If you want to make things even easier, wear a blank black polo shirt from wal mart. This works because almost all legitimate people working an event that don't actually work in the hotel or hall itself won't have passes, or ID of any kind, for the company they actually work for. Almost all of it is subcontracted, and there are always tons of idiot temps who know nothing about anything

enjoy your tumblr convention

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 26, 2014

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

1gnoirents posted:

that settles it. im going

btw pro hack for anybody who wants to get into a convention for free. search the convention or hotel website for the in house A/V company name. This is typically PSAV

walk in the dock

If anybody asks you whats up, which is very rare but depends on the venue, simply say youre looking for PSAV (or whoever) for a hot shot. It is so ridiculously common and normal for someone in normal clothes to say something like this (even in an unsure manner, ie temps) and you can just go inside. There will always be a service way into convention halls and rooms, typically bustling with staff. Once you're past the dock you are in an nobody will ever say anything to you ever. If someone asks you out of niceness, just say you're looking for the convention and they will tell you the best way to get there

Worst, worst case scenario is a dock master calls PSAV or whoever immediately or they happen to be right there, just say let me get my paperwork and leave lol. Out of the 100 times ive done this for real work purposes that has never been the case though.

The most trouble you will have is if the convention itself is checking passes at doors and entrances. Just say you're looking for PSAV. It's dat easy. Plus since you're now familiar with the service halls you can basically avoid all of that. If you want to make things even easier, wear a blank black polo shirt from wal mart. This works because almost all legitimate people working an event that don't actually work in the hotel or hall itself won't have passes, or ID of any kind, for the company they actually work for. Almost all of it is subcontracted, and there are always tons of idiot temps who know nothing about anything

enjoy your tumblr convention

Implying someone would want to go there out of their own free will. The smell must be horrendous.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

visceril posted:

Is it really inviting reddit and 4chan to participate? I thought tumblers had some sort of blood feud going on with 4 chan. Are we sure it's not a parody of dashcon that stole their spot?

Don't 4chan and Reddit basically hate the poo poo out of each other, too? Never spent much/any time on either, so I dunno what the full story is beyond Reddit running 4chan's old memes even harder into the ground.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Regalingualius posted:

Don't 4chan and Reddit basically hate the poo poo out of each other, too? Never spent much/any time on either, so I dunno what the full story is beyond Reddit running 4chan's old memes even harder into the ground.

75% of anyone on these sites is a part of one or more of the others. They just don't admit it.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Over There posted:

75% of anyone on these sites is a part of one or more of the others. They just don't admit it.

i am roxanne ama

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Over There posted:

i feel special because i am not

i dont get the format

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Rad Tad posted:

i am roxanne ama

Will you turn off the red light?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I have accounts on SOmething Awful, reddit, and tumblr. Hello

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I have a 4chan gold account.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

So... how exactly does he plan to achieve this goal of his?

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Will you turn off the red light?

i no longer have this privilege

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Did y'all see the Convention Rules page?

No causing "emotional trauma," guys and gals.

After this year's fiasco, they'd be absolutely braindead to not anticipate troublesome pushy types coming around next year to ask nosy questions like "okay so seriously where did that $17,000 go" and "where is Roxanne's body buried," so at least a light is on in the attic somewhere

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Gin posted:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=AxrMuBLJnYw

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Okay this actually isn't a terrible idea for a scam: form a limited liability company/partnership, hold an event where dumb fucks from the Internet give you money, then abandon the company along with your fall guy and start a new company/partnership in a new state for the next time. They could probably do this six or seven times before the tax man catches up with them

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

it'd be worth it if it were for actual amounts of money

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

it'd be worth it if it were for actual amounts of money

Yeah, that's the part where this would fall apart if it is indeed a scam. If they were getting 100K+, yeah, I could definitely see them being cozy with it. But just 17k even before they divvy it up?

In other words, no matter what theoretical angle you try approaching this whole fiasco from, it's incompetence all the way down.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

visceril posted:

Despite their claims to the contrary, once given an opportunity to place money ahead of idealism they are jumping at the chance.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Okay this actually isn't a terrible idea for a scam: form a limited liability company/partnership, hold an event where dumb fucks from the Internet give you money, then abandon the company along with your fall guy and start a new company/partnership in a new state for the next time. They could probably do this six or seven times before the tax man catches up with them

Just like those "win a gaming room full of current videogames and stuff contest" fuckers that usually do that since the 90's, advertising in game magazines. drat me if more than 25% of the finalists got their full prizes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mods please change my name every 14 hours

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm machinekin, specifically fucksawkin. When I'm plowing some cooch, I have to imitate the sound of a reciprocating saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, that's the part where this would fall apart if it is indeed a scam. If they were getting 100K+, yeah, I could definitely see them being cozy with it. But just 17k even before they divvy it up?

In other words, no matter what theoretical angle you try approaching this whole fiasco from, it's incompetence all the way down.

Parents are fronting and covering everything

• Locked thread