Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Weird Al will be releasing his fourteenth album on July 15th entitled Mandatory Fun. This is also his last record under his current contract.

Track list

quote:

01. Handy = Fancy by Iggy Azalea
02. Lame Claim To Fame = Walk Like A Camel-ish Southern Culture on the Skids style parody
03. Foil = Royal by Lorde
04. Sports Song = Al wrote this specifically for the day that pigs fly and he gets chosen to do the Super Bowl halftime show
05. Word Crimes = Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke
06. My Own Eyes = Foo Fighters style parody
07. Now That's What I Call Polka! - Wrecking Ball, Pumped Up Kicks, Best Song Ever, Gangnam Style, Call Me Maybe, Scream and Shout, Somebody I Used to Know, Timber, Sexy and I Know It, Thrift Shop,
Get Lucky
08. Mission Statement = Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby, Stills & Nash
09. Inactive = Radioactive by Imagine Dragons
10. First World Problems = Monkey Gone to Heaven-ish Pixies style parody
11. Tacky = Happy by Pharrell Williams
12. Jackson Park Express = Cat Stevens homage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN6vPOC9eFg

He will also be releasing eight music vidoes starting july 14th.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In the last couple years, I've learned from posting here that I'm in the minority for this, but I'm of the opinion that Weird Al has always been and continues to be entertaining as hell. I grew up listening to him. My dad was a big fan and he got my brother and I into him. So as a kid, some of my favorite songs were I Lost On Jeopardy, Eat It, Fat, Dare To Be Stupid, Living With A Hernia, Cavity Search, Trigger Happy, The Night Santa Went Crazy, etc. And even as I got older, I still appreciated him a whole lot. I think the RiffTrax of Jurassic Park (which he guest stars on) is hilarious and I've loved seeing him on @Midnight a couple times recently. And even a few days ago when my iPod shuffled to Another Tattoo while I was driving, I couldn't stop laughing. I went to the RiffTrax Live: Sharknado event the other night and Nature Trail To Hell was playing before the movie started and that put a huge smile on my face.

So basically I'm looking forward to this and anything he does in the future, because after over 2 decades, he hasn't grown old to me yet. He could be doing parodies of pop songs for another 2 decades and I'd probably continue to lose my poo poo over them.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 12, 2014

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The album is awesome. "Word Crimes" is probably my favorite but the Pixies style "First World Problems" is also great, and features Amanda Palmer doing Kim Deal-ish backing vocals.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
This is his best album since Running with Scissors. I really dig it.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
This album might be his last physical release. It fulfills his contract with Sony and he's been thinking about going independent and switching to a digital only model.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

weirdojace posted:

The album is awesome. "Word Crimes" is probably my favorite but the Pixies style "First World Problems" is also great, and features Amanda Palmer doing Kim Deal-ish backing vocals.

I'm interested in seeing what him being out of a contract will mean. Will his choice of parodies change?

Also, he was one of the first concerts I went to as a kid, and it was amazing. He would get into costume/character for every song.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
He still does. I saw him at Bonnaroo last year and it was one of the most magical concerts there. The audience went absolutely nuts (I've been to like 7 Weird Al shows and had never seen an audience react the way the Bonnaroo one did) and Al told us we were the best crowd he'd ever played for.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Harminoff posted:

I'm interested in seeing what him being out of a contract will mean. Will his choice of parodies change?

According to an NPR interview, it seems the most significant change will be in delivery. No longer fettered to an album-based contract, he can release smaller sets of songs more frequently, and thus those songs can be more relevant on release. Hopefully his general quality and well-known persona will allow him to remain popular among the various YouTube parody acts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I met him at a book signing last summer. He's a super chill dude.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This album is a blast. "I threw up in an elevator next to Christian Slater" would totally be something one of my friends would try to use as their claim to fame. He actually managed to turn Royals and Blurred Lines into listenable songs with Foil and Word Crimes (and somehow he turned Blurred Lines into a thoroughly entertaining Schoolhouse Rock song :psyduck:). And I don't think there was a single part of Now That's What I Call Polka during which I wasn't laughing like an idiot. I wish that one had gone on for another couple minutes. Mission Statement was great too. It was basically "Buzzwords: The Song". Tacky was loving incredible too. And Inactive.

I'm nominating "Let me cauterize your tear ducts with an arc welder" for one of the best lines of 2014.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jul 13, 2014

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This album is a blast. "I threw up in an elevator next to Christian Slater" would totally be something one of my friends would try to use as their claim to fame. He actually managed to turn Royals and Blurred Lines into listenable songs with Foil and Word Crimes (and somehow he turned Blurred Lines into a thoroughly entertaining Schoolhouse Rock song :psyduck:). And I don't think there was a single part of Now That's What I Call Polka during which I wasn't laughing like an idiot. I wish that one had gone on for another couple minutes. Mission Statement was great too. It was basically "Buzzwords: The Song". Tacky was loving incredible too. And Inactive.

I'm nominating "Let me cauterize your tear ducts with an arc welder" for one of the best lines of 2014.

You're a loving homo.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

An Enormous Boner posted:

You're a loving homo.

Says "An Enormous Boner".

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Oh, a new Weird Album? Kewl.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

An Enormous Boner posted:

You're a loving homo.

"Go practice on your guitar you little nancy queer"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Guys, let's just drop the hate. Weird "Al" is all about... stitching celebrity interviews up with his own footage to make them say things they didn't actually say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QOya9-lwQk

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I just read that Weird Al has 8 music videos already made for this album, and they're being released once a day starting tomorrow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Guys, let's just drop the hate. Weird "Al" is all about... stitching celebrity interviews up with his own footage to make them say things they didn't actually say.

Oh my god, how come no one ever posted these gems over the PYF youtube video thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lepM8VCGN7c

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Kevin Federline one is a riot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQd9jWYZky0

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm 33 years old and I'm still a hardcore Al fan. I am not ashamed.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I really love this interview for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TetlDTcqx6Q

It's just really clever, especially when he gets off a really good ice burn like he did. Really, I appreciate the fake interviews. Just think of all the work it takes, going through an interview and piecing it together so that way it sounds like Avril Lavigne can't choose between Britney Spears and Hitler.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I would put this album above Alpocalypse and Poodle Hat, but below Running with Scissors and Straight Outta Lynwood (I won't try to compare to any previous albums because I never heard them at release). The parodies don't feel dated yet, and they're all recognizable to me so that's a plus. The polka medley has decent song choices. Even if some of them are pretty old at this point, at least they are all memorable songs.

I'm happy to see the return to 9+ minute tracks with Jackson Park Express, though it's not as good as Trapped in the Drive Thru or Albuquerque. It's better than Genius in France or Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
I first heard Weird Al on the Doctor Demento radio show ~1980ish. I wanted to do what he did. Now im 42 and still want to do what he does.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I was a huge Weird Al fan from like fifth grade until I was just out of high school. I think the last album I listened to was Running With Scissors, and since then I've found that I can't really get into any of his parodies because I'm not really current on pop music anymore. Even the really famous songs he covers, I've usually heard OF them, but never actually listened to them. I feel like I should go see him perform again someday, as the show I saw probably in like 1998 or so was amazing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

wa27 posted:

I'm happy to see the return to 9+ minute tracks with Jackson Park Express, though it's not as good as Trapped in the Drive Thru or Albuquerque. It's better than Genius in France or Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me.

Genius in France is rad as hell you're huffing paint.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

comes along bort posted:

Seriously.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The video for Tacky is out and it's really great:

http://www.nerdist.com/vepisode/weird-al-yankovic-gets-tacky-with-pharrells-happy/

I think he's got something that will go viral with all those celebrities.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

I'm 33 years old and I'm still a hardcore Al fan. I am not ashamed.

Ditto.

Just got my signed copy from Newbury Comics. Great album so far. (Even if I don't recognize any parody songs anymore).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Weird Al is loving awesome and I just spent actual money on an album for the first time in about 3 years (I don't steal, just Spotify/SXM/Pandora).

Also Jack Black in the Tacky video was god drat hysterical.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I love everything Weird Al has done and god that was a great music video.

Though I have to say my favorite thing that he has done is UHF, god I love that movie :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That video was amazing hahahaha. Loved all the guest appearances. My god, now I can't wait for the other 7 videos for this album! That seems like such a treat that we're getting.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
great video

Kristen Schaal <3

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
That video is amazing. Cannot wait for the rest.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

comes along bort posted:

I didn't get Genius in France at all when I first heard it at age 11. Having delved into Frank Zappa's catalog in college, it is now amazing. But nothing will ever top Albuquerque for me, especially after the Breaking Bad video.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It's crazy how in that video nobody is wearing or doing anything close to what he lyrics state.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Harminoff posted:

It's crazy how in that video nobody is wearing or doing anything close to what he lyrics state.

I can't tell if it's sarcastic or not but I really like how he parodied the video concept. Happy as a video is kind of bullshit. It's just celebrities dancing and everyone is all "OMG." Al is pointing out that it's just "celebrities" and all they're doing is some bullshit dance. It works. Well done Yankovic!

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

In the last couple years, I've learned from posting here that I'm in the minority for this, but I'm of the opinion that Weird Al has always been and continues to be entertaining as hell.

Are you really? Huh.

Because even strictly from a pure musical standpoint, Al is near the top of working musicians in the entire business. His arranging chops are stellar, and his band might be the best there's ever been, or at least in the discussion (their ability to seamlessly shift through such radically different styles and nail them is a constant wonder). Even forgetting the actual straight-up parodies, his originals that instead take the "style" of a certain artist or band are often so good that he out-does them (Mark Mothersbaugh once commented that Al's "Dare To Be Stupid" is the perfect DEVO song and he wished he had written it).

Being dismissive of Al because of what he does is a huge, HUGE mistake. He's absolutely a massively talented and highly skilled musician, and is well thought of inside the industry itself.

He's probably also the best live act in the business. Jesus that man has endless energy.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 15, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ComposerGuy posted:

Are you really? Huh.
Well I seem to recall posting a few times in other threads over the years about liking Weird Al and getting poo poo for it because continuing to like Weird Al into your 20s is a mistake or something? I don't know, and I didn't give a poo poo about that either, because I still like everything he does and nobody's opinion on him is gonna change that for me.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Well I seem to recall posting a few times in other threads over the years about liking Weird Al and getting poo poo for it because continuing to like Weird Al into your 20s is a mistake or something? I don't know, and I didn't give a poo poo about that either, because I still like everything he does and nobody's opinion on him is gonna change that for me.

Just understand that you're objectively correct and smile.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Boywhiz88 posted:

I can't tell if it's sarcastic or not but I really like how he parodied the video concept. Happy as a video is kind of bullshit. It's just celebrities dancing and everyone is all "OMG." Al is pointing out that it's just "celebrities" and all they're doing is some bullshit dance. It works. Well done Yankovic!

I hadn't seen the Happy video before so I didn't really get it, but after watching it I think Al's video is hilarious. Jack Black is especially entertaining :)

This is a good album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Decided to skip through this album on spotify and had a lot more fun than I was expecting. Already knew Tacky was great cause of the video, but the second half of the Royals parody and Word Crimes were awesome, and the Foo Fighters style parody was completely perfect (although that one probably appealed to me the most because I used to be in a band with a lead singer/songwriter who ripped them off constantly).

• Locked thread