Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mugrim posted:

This is kind of a gross over simplification. FICA is it's own tax so Social Security and Medicare are their own expenditures, and many self employed people (The vast majority of those who I have to deal with on a professional basis) who pay federal taxes do NOT pay FICA.

If you're talking about controlling where your FEDERAL INCOME TAX goes, Military is the largest expenditure.

Also, how would this system work for disaster relief? "I want all disaster relief funds to go to my state. gently caress you Oklahoma"

You're absolutely correct on this since there is a pretty huge difference between "mandatory" spending and "discretionary" spending, with the discretionary spending being paid for by only federal income tax, and of that 57% of the budget is military spending. Personally, it should be law that military spending can never exceed 50% of the discretionary budget so if they want more money they have to raise taxes, especially in times of war.

That being said most people don't even realize that there are technically two different budgets (mandatory & discretionary), let alone what needs to be paid for and why it's important to pay for those things, and the fact that corporate media holds a massive influence over what people feel are important, which is why there was a 42 point increase among republicans between 2007 & 2012 when it came to listing the national debt as the most important issue.

So no, people shouldn't have a say over where their taxes go outside of maybe putting limits on items in the discretionary budget because only 8.4-20.9% of Americans actually know how the government spends it's money anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
No, we've got enough issues with the elected reps of people fighting over where money goes. The majority of the population shouldn't have any say for where their money goes. They're either too dumb, or just down right malevolent.

To be honest, we'd probably be better off if the majority of the population didn't have any say for anything.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

A Winner is Jew posted:

You're absolutely correct on this since there is a pretty huge difference between "mandatory" spending and "discretionary" spending, with the discretionary spending being paid for by only federal income tax, and of that 57% of the budget is military spending. Personally, it should be law that military spending can never exceed 50% of the discretionary budget so if they want more money they have to raise taxes, especially in times of war.

That being said most people don't even realize that there are technically two different budgets (mandatory & discretionary), let alone what needs to be paid for and why it's important to pay for those things, and the fact that corporate media holds a massive influence over what people feel are important, which is why there was a 42 point increase among republicans between 2007 & 2012 when it came to listing the national debt as the most important issue.

So no, people shouldn't have a say over where their taxes go outside of maybe putting limits on items in the discretionary budget because only 8.4-20.9% of Americans actually know how the government spends it's money anyway.

It also gets weird because of how hard we work to hide our military budget. Often depending on where you're looking "Veterans Affairs" will be considered a completely different expenditure than general military spending which is pretty clearly obfuscation by most people's accounts. The same way DOE pays for the nukes also hides their cost a bit.

What's sad is that our massive military/PMC industry often hides what our unemployment would be if we scaled down to what the rest of the world feels comfortable with.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mugrim posted:

It also gets weird because of how hard we work to hide our military budget. Often depending on where you're looking "Veterans Affairs" will be considered a completely different expenditure than general military spending which is pretty clearly obfuscation by most people's accounts. The same way DOE pays for the nukes also hides their cost a bit.

What's sad is that our massive military/PMC industry often hides what our unemployment would be if we scaled down to what the rest of the world feels comfortable with.

Eh, I don't know about that since if we shifted DOD funds into literally anything else (besides tax cuts obviously) it would put less of a burden on the poor and middle class via expanding through government programs from their current dismal state which would be a net improvement across the board. And really now, it's not like all those aerospace engineers couldn't be reassigned to things like projects for NASA or something since that's basically a huge purpose of that agency.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

No, we've got enough issues with the elected reps of people fighting over where money goes. The majority of the population shouldn't have any say for where their money goes. They're either too dumb, or just down right malevolent.

To be honest, we'd probably be better off if the majority of the population didn't have any say for anything.

I agree, lets start by making me dictator.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
OP are you familiar with voluntaryanism?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
I dunno, you guys think people would gut social programs and stuff, but given that people's polled estimation of program budgets, and of what those budgets should ideally be "cut" to, BOTH drastically overshoot the actual current number, you could get a bunch of people thinking they're slashing programs while actually raising their budgets by factors of 10.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Slaan posted:

A lot of military spending already boosts the economy. A huge chunk of that money every year is spent on acquisitions, logistics, base infrastructure, housing, research, etc. So its money going straight back into the economy.

This would be true if the money was spent digging a ditch and filling it back in again. So it's very bad analysis in the context of macroeconomic value.

Only in certain short term contexts can we actually just look at dollars spent. In the long term, economic value depends on the value of things actually produced by the spending. A tank that gets built but never used and then scrapped literally has an economic value of 0. This is why military spending doesn't stack up well economically against a whole bunch of other things that actually produce useful things for the economy (education, infrastructure etc)

[Though in reality judging military spending is a bit more complicated. The military has preventative value, acts as a sort of insurance policy where it's understood that spending may have 0 value unless there is actually a conflict, and military technology has beneficial side effects]

A Winner is Jew posted:

Serously, read this and reconsider this idea completely

For as much as we spend on defense, only 18% of the federal budget goes to military spending. For as much as one political party obsesses over the debt (at least when they don't control the whitehouse) we only spend 7% of the federal budget on paying interest on the debt. The majority of the budget (58% to be exact) goes towards only two things, the first being social security and the second being medicare. Only 17% of the federal budget actually runs the entire US government.

The fact that people are clueless about the federal budget is the one reason I think this idea is almost an interesting thought exercise. If we let people play with maybe 2% (not 25%) of the federal budget themselves, they might come away with a better understanding of what money is actually spend on, and perhaps a greater feeling of participation.

Though probably not.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

asdf32 posted:

This would be true if the money was spent digging a ditch and filling it back in again. So it's very bad analysis in the context of macroeconomic value.

Only in certain short term contexts can we actually just look at dollars spent. In the long term, economic value depends on the value of things actually produced by the spending. A tank that gets built but never used and then scrapped literally has an economic value of 0. This is why military spending doesn't stack up well economically against a whole bunch of other things that actually produce useful things for the economy (education, infrastructure etc)

p. much what I was going to say. With the kind of money the military gets, we could do some SERIOUS world class improvements in poo poo like education and for infrastructure it would be a good long term investment.

asdf32 posted:

[Though in reality judging military spending is a bit more complicated. The military has preventative value, acts as a sort of insurance policy where it's understood that spending may have 0 value unless there is actually a conflict, and military technology has beneficial side effects]

Nukes are by far our greatest preventative value, and they're not in the military budget, they're under DOE.

We're way too far away from any drop that would seriously endanger our country for that argument to matter. Part of the issue with a reduction would be that it would invariably mean retiring equipment and also pissing off congressmen who have said equipment being produced in their district. It would also mean slowing down recruitment a lot, though it could make worse our over reliance on PMC's.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
This is fairly relevant

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

mugrim posted:

Nukes are by far our greatest preventative value, and they're not in the military budget, they're under DOE.

We're way too far away from any drop that would seriously endanger our country for that argument to matter. Part of the issue with a reduction would be that it would invariably mean retiring equipment and also pissing off congressmen who have said equipment being produced in their district. It would also mean slowing down recruitment a lot, though it could make worse our over reliance on PMC's.

I agree with you when it comes to things like the marines, army, & air force, but by being the only remaining super power we inherited role of world police of the oceans from Britain and there is an ungodly amount of commerce that is only possible because of how much policing of the sea the US navy does. Realistically, the only two major sea lanes that are even an issue when it comes to safety and security for commerce anymore are the Gulf of Adan and the Strait of Malacca, and there has been a huge crackdown in recent years in the Gulf of Adan.

10 loving super carriers though is way too god drat many. At most I would say 6 is good which means 3 for each coast, 1 on patrol, 1 in port ready to deploy, and 1 undergoing repairs/upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You mean the current system?

• Locked thread