Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i would gently caress hodgson too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010
I enjoy Salem's Lot and Pet Cemetary by Stephen King, why don't you give those two a go you shitheel

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
H P Lovecraft had pretty cool ideas but is just about the shittiest, most boring writer imaginable, even by the rather piss poor standards of his time.

If he was a better writer he would be more fondly remembered rather than being an idol for man children

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ddraig posted:

H P Lovecraft had pretty cool ideas but is just about the shittiest, most boring writer imaginable, even by the rather piss poor standards of his time.

If he was a better writer he would be more fondly remembered rather than being an idol for man children

his prose was about on par with most penny dreadfuls but people still remember dracula so w/e

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

buy a hotdog! posted:

I enjoy Salem's Lot and Pet Cemetary by Stephen King, why don't you give those two a go you shitheel

Salem's lot was good, but pet semetary was a complete bore, one of the few stephen king books that was worse than the movie.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

dontcareaboutname posted:

Salem's lot was good, but pet semetary was a complete bore, one of the few stephen king books that was worse than the movie.

did the film of it have the gangbang in it i haven't seen it

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
the movie ended faster than i could read pet semetary. i like to read but pet semetary felt like a punishment. It was like 90% build up then what you know is going to happen, happens and you're just like yep it happened the end.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

the horror of Pet Sematary comes from dealing with the inevitable mortality of your loved ones rather than scary zombies and forest monsters

goondolences

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
I get that, still doesn't mean it wasn't written in a boring way. It just felt like it could have been 40%-70% shorter, and lose nothing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I get that, still doesn't mean it wasn't written in a boring way. It just felt like it could have been 40%-70% shorter, and lose nothing.

ditto dan simmon's drood and the terror

the prose on those is good overall but they're just so loving bloated with irrelevant historical poo poo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i found a radio drama by bbc that was pretty good, but i cant find it now. Wonder if it was different from the book.

Neurosis posted:

i would gently caress hodgson too

i don't htink he would be a very good lover this might be a bad idea. He's way into :siren: !!!THE PATRIARCHY!!! :siren:
when was night land written? it reminds me of like early geolgy theories and the whole science mindset that lead to wack dinosaur fossils that're totally wrong and crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i found a radio drama by bbc that was pretty good, but i cant find it now. Wonder if it was different from the book.

i don't htink he would be a very good lover this might be a bad idea. He's way into :siren: !!!THE PATRIARCHY!!! :siren:
when was night land written? it reminds me of like early geolgy theories and the whole science mindset that lead to wack dinosaur fossils that're totally wrong and crazy

iirc 1912 it had some old theories about how long the universe would survive and such that were authoritative at the time but didn't last

still some real good books though and (at least the revision + sequel I read) aren't too patriarchal

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

William Hope Hardbody

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nah it's a pretty sweet idea. I think someone said that it was the first post apocalyptic book. I just laughed my rear end off when he saves his ~tru luv~ and then has to beat her for being naughty. Like not even in a sexual way. And they're in the middle of the goddamn nightland, they could die at any second. And she's so goddamn weak and useless. Also he totally abandons all the other surviors like a dickhead.

one of my favorite parts was the slug tunnel
and that gulch with the burning natural gas

nightland would be a pretty sweet setting for some game

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Phil Niekro posted:

William Hope Hardbody

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

nah it's a pretty sweet idea. I think someone said that it was the first post apocalyptic book. I just laughed my rear end off when he saves his ~tru luv~ and then has to beat her for being naughty. Like not even in a sexual way. And they're in the middle of the goddamn nightland, they could die at any second. And she's so goddamn weak and useless. Also he totally abandons all the other surviors like a dickhead.

one of my favorite parts was the slug tunnel
and that gulch with the burning natural gas

nightland would be a pretty sweet setting for some game

dead serious the john c wright stories are real great

the rewrite also reduces nani's stupidity and it seems more like she has a breakdown due to everyone she's ever known dying

the introduction about mirdath or whatever being a complete bitch still didn't make a lot of sense

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fun fact: Stephen King's The Mist directly influenced/ inspired Half-Life.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fun fact: Stephen King's The Mist directly influenced/ inspired Half-Life.

i'm not sure who's more stupid

the dude that killed his gay son or the autist who can't talk and has scientists lead him around with a carrot

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Neurosis posted:

i'm not sure who's more stupid

the dude that killed his gay son or the autist who can't talk and has scientists lead him around with a carrot

that's from the movie, the book had a different ending

SK says he likes the movie ending more than his but he also loves the dogshit Under the Dome TV show so IDK

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
John Wyndham from the 50's. Guy who wrote Day of the Triffids and Midwhich Cuckoos

His short story collections like Trouble with Lichen, Seeds of Time are good.

Also Stephen King's short story books of you haven't. They are awesome, Skeleton Crew & Night Shift specifically.
The Running man

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

the horror of Pet Sematary comes from dealing with the inevitable mortality of your loved ones rather than scary zombies and forest monsters

goondolences

I read Pet Semetary when i was 14, and what you describe is what really freaked me the gently caress out from it.
I don't think it was excessively long, about average for one of his books.

pblol
Jun 27, 2008
If you're into Clive Barker, Weaveworld is pretty neat.

http://www.amazon.com/Weaveworld-Clive-Barker/dp/0743417356/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405286296&sr=1-1&keywords=weaveworld

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

read house of leaves if your idea of horror is the references section of a wikipedia article about spooky geometry written by a schizo pinning for his bosses girlfriend i guess

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Necros posted:

read house of leaves if your idea of horror is the references section of a wikipedia article about spooky geometry written by a schizo pinning for his bosses girlfriend i guess

That sounds loving horrific but not in the desired way

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the Carnacki The Ghost Finder short stories. Carnacki is basically Sherlock Holmes except he investigates paranormal events and haunted locations for rich people using a combination of ancient sorcery and modern technology. The author had to go and get himself killed in WW1 so there's only nine stories but most of them are pretty good and the worst ones are still decent. Read the Whistling Room, that's some freaky poo poo.

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
write a book.

it may or may not sell, but that's irrelevant.

if you do become successful, put me on the filler pages, and tell people.

force beats brute.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Neurosis posted:

The rewrite of Nightland by Stoddard is pretty good too

the cover art for the actual book is prob one of the worst covers ever made. sits proudly in my bookshelf

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I read Pet Semetary when i was 14, and what you describe is what really freaked me the gently caress out from it.
I don't think it was excessively long, about average for one of his books.

Pet Sematary is one of those books that is a totally different experience depending on what stage of your life you're in when you read it.

I can't imagine what it must be like to read it as a parent.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Pet Sematary is one of those books that is a totally different experience depending on what stage of your life you're in when you read it.

I can't imagine what it must be like to read it as a parent.

It came out when I was a toddler and reading it put my mom off Stephen King forever

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
look within.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
i assume people have already mentioned "John Dies at the End" and "This Book is Full of Spiders"?

cause those are good

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Barker's The Damnation Game is a pretty decent "don't gently caress around with necromancers" tale.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A misanthrope posted:

i assume people have already mentioned "John Dies at the End" and "This Book is Full of Spiders"?

cause those are good

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:neckbeard: i love that part!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A misanthrope posted:

:neckbeard: i love that part!

It's so great

David Wong's old site, Pointless Waste of Time, used to be linked on SA's front page so in a roundabout way John Dies At The End is the original Goon novel

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's so great

David Wong's old site, Pointless Waste of Time, used to be linked on SA's front page so in a roundabout way John Dies At The End is the original Goon novel

please no one hold that against it because it's pretty good

lol

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
House of Leaves would have worked better as a short story. I read it a while ago so I just looked it up and I was surprised it's over 700 pages long. Gimmicks aside, there just didn't seem to be enough actual content to justify the length. Maybe some people would say having it just as a short story would have defeated the purpose but I disagree.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like the Carnacki The Ghost Finder short stories. Carnacki is basically Sherlock Holmes except he investigates paranormal events and haunted locations for rich people using a combination of ancient sorcery and modern technology. The author had to go and get himself killed in WW1 so there's only nine stories but most of them are pretty good and the worst ones are still decent. Read the Whistling Room, that's some freaky poo poo.

plus look at this cover

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
Does anyone remember those "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" books with the absolutely creepy drawings by Stephen Gammell? Those drawings were the stuff of nightmares.

http://tinyurl.com/nrg6pnz

Apparently they reissued those books but without Alvin Shwartz' stunning drawings. Makes sense -- they're pretty UN-PC today as kid's material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Neurosis posted:

I liked the croning and thought it was creepy the only problem I had was it was obvious it was a short story writer's first novel and was paced oddly because of it

Oh and the protagonist did not act like a man in his eighties

What didn't you like

Basically the pacing, it could've easily been at most a short novella. The Light is the Darkness is a quicker and much more engaging read and covers some of the same territory, but with gladiator battles.

Anyways Hugh B Cave's early short stories are excellent. Check out Murgunstrumm and Others and the stories he wrote for the horror pulp magazines in the 30's, which had some of the best cover art and story titles ever.

• Locked thread