Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Feranon posted:

the fifty year sword by house of leaves guy

also john dies at the end by cracked guy

John Dies is a great read, much better than the movie. I haven't read the fifty year sword, but House of Leaves is the only book that caused me to actually yelp a little bit during a certain part, like how you'd get startled during a film. It was a weird experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beige posted:

I've read that House of Leaves is written unusually with margin notes and upside down pages or something. Wouldn't this make it too disjointed to read digitally? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Most people say, when they read a unique book, "I don't know how they'd ever make a movie out of this", but with House of Leaves, I don't know how you could read it digitally, nor could I ever see this book even being put to audio. There's not a lot of 'upside-down' reading, if any at all, but there ARE quite a few footnotes, one which is its own, full story at the end of the book. It's screwy and I would call it a gimmick if the whole thing didn't come together so well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I don't belive this. Is this one of those goon histrornics like gently caress the ocean?

No no, it's legitimately good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I didn't know about the house of leaves website, but the guy who told me to read the book said I'd never be the same afterwards that I would think about everything differently. Not so, that's bullshit. Just read the book and enjoy it (or don't). I really liked it as a book and nothing else.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fun fact: Stephen King's The Mist directly influenced/ inspired Half-Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just genuinely do not know how you're supposed to follow all of the footnotes on a digital version. Do you click on links? Do they even do that?

• Locked thread