Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i'm looking for some horror books to read suggest me some

cosmic horror is best but i'm not picky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
ty for recommendations

i have read ligotti, i actually didn't like teatro grottesco that much. his other stuff isn't available on kindle in australia so i can't read any of the others

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I read the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy and liked it (Annihilation). Kinda like a modern scifi take on Lovecraft. The first and second books are out now and the last one should be out later this year.

It was a fun short read.

Yeah the second was p mediocre though

Third comes out in like october

I've already read a lot of the classics like machen and king in yellow and william hope hodgson

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Borneo Jimmy posted:

I read a few of Laird Barron's short stories and they were pretty good, but avoid his book The Croning.

I liked the croning and thought it was creepy the only problem I had was it was obvious it was a short story writer's first novel and was paced oddly because of it

Oh and the protagonist did not act like a man in his eighties

What didn't you like

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Pro tip the Awake in the Nightland anthology by John C Wright is a really good continuation of Hodgson's Nightland book (it ties into this book as well). The final story that ends the Nightland continuity is something else

The rewrite of Nightland by Stoddard is pretty good too

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i would gently caress hodgson too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ddraig posted:

H P Lovecraft had pretty cool ideas but is just about the shittiest, most boring writer imaginable, even by the rather piss poor standards of his time.

If he was a better writer he would be more fondly remembered rather than being an idol for man children

his prose was about on par with most penny dreadfuls but people still remember dracula so w/e

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

dontcareaboutname posted:

Salem's lot was good, but pet semetary was a complete bore, one of the few stephen king books that was worse than the movie.

did the film of it have the gangbang in it i haven't seen it

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

dontcareaboutname posted:

I get that, still doesn't mean it wasn't written in a boring way. It just felt like it could have been 40%-70% shorter, and lose nothing.

ditto dan simmon's drood and the terror

the prose on those is good overall but they're just so loving bloated with irrelevant historical poo poo

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i found a radio drama by bbc that was pretty good, but i cant find it now. Wonder if it was different from the book.

i don't htink he would be a very good lover this might be a bad idea. He's way into :siren: !!!THE PATRIARCHY!!! :siren:
when was night land written? it reminds me of like early geolgy theories and the whole science mindset that lead to wack dinosaur fossils that're totally wrong and crazy

iirc 1912 it had some old theories about how long the universe would survive and such that were authoritative at the time but didn't last

still some real good books though and (at least the revision + sequel I read) aren't too patriarchal

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

nah it's a pretty sweet idea. I think someone said that it was the first post apocalyptic book. I just laughed my rear end off when he saves his ~tru luv~ and then has to beat her for being naughty. Like not even in a sexual way. And they're in the middle of the goddamn nightland, they could die at any second. And she's so goddamn weak and useless. Also he totally abandons all the other surviors like a dickhead.

one of my favorite parts was the slug tunnel
and that gulch with the burning natural gas

nightland would be a pretty sweet setting for some game

dead serious the john c wright stories are real great

the rewrite also reduces nani's stupidity and it seems more like she has a breakdown due to everyone she's ever known dying

the introduction about mirdath or whatever being a complete bitch still didn't make a lot of sense

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fun fact: Stephen King's The Mist directly influenced/ inspired Half-Life.

i'm not sure who's more stupid

the dude that killed his gay son or the autist who can't talk and has scientists lead him around with a carrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Borneo Jimmy posted:

Basically the pacing, it could've easily been at most a short novella. The Light is the Darkness is a quicker and much more engaging read and covers some of the same territory, but with gladiator battles.

he's doing a sequel to the croning with more sci fi elements hopefully it comes off a bit better

• Locked thread