Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

“There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
"The mood will pass, sir.”

Don't believe whatever Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns tell you, the mythologies and morals don't mean poo poo in superhero comics, it is all about tights, capes and domino masks. The first line of character's visual appeal in the visual medium, brand-tagged attires of heroes and villains, endlessly changing, predictably enraging. Designed by the people in cargo shorts, intended to separate one muscled man or busty beauty from another, more dividing than the gun control and toilet paper derails.

They are still clothes of made-up characters, so don't be That Guy/Gal and don't go into the heart of darkness while arguing for the plausibility/offensiveness/general lack of taste in some current costume you don't like. The next artist on a title (and boy do they rotate fast) will most likely change it to their fashion sensibilities! And you are going to look stupid, the brave veteran of the Second Codpiece War! Enjoy the good designs, mock the bad ones, share and :justpost:

Here is the new Batgirl costume that has recently gone viral and motivated a lot of people to draw fan-art of it:

A simple costume, easily-cosplayable, designed by a cool artist (one and only Cameron Stewart) has managed to create one hell of an initial PR boost for the team of not-star creators taking over a book. Costumes matter!

Here are the costumes, that, in my opinion, are completely untouchable in terms of their perfect design:

The Silver Age masterpiece designed by Carmine Infantino, the bright red costume of the Fastest Man Alive. That one has suffered through color corrections (for Wally West) and minor modifications (belt, boots, glossiness) over the years to be resistant to any radical reworks. Break the fingers of anyone trying to add armor on it.

Another set of red tights, the classic Daredevil costume by Wally Wood. The original yellow-and-red costume is frequently ridiculed as the clothes sewn by a blind man, but you can't put anything agaist the red one. Surprisingly flexible in the terms of adapting to art styles: it is as effective in the minimalistic/cartoony art of Chris Samnee and David Mazzuchelli, as it is under the hands of Alex Maleev and Bill Sienkievitcz. The contrast of a red figure over the urban landscape is always a sure bet.

Blackhawks! Designed by Will Eisner in 1941, blue or black, still carrying the WWII pilot swagger with them in every guest appearance. Every radical change to the concept (into superheroes, or the Nu52 change into the GI Joe) has failed, in my opinion, because of the wardrobe shift. Lady Blackhawk and her hat was the best part of Birds of Prey!

Here are some artists that love designing new attires for established characters:

Alex Ross, despite being one of the main advocates of returning classic characters to their Silver Age roots, has the unhealthy obsession of messing up their designs. His major works had the excuse of being about the potential futures of Marvel and DC (Old Cap rules), Justice - not so much. Armor for everyone! Also, the infamous Captain Puerto-Rico.

Jim Lee, aka the one Image founder that most people still like unironically in TYOOL 2014 (it's okay!). Trenchcoats, belts, jackets over spandex and headbands of undetermined purpose. The mastermind behind Nu52 fashion collection.

Jamie McKelvie, the proponent of casual clothes in superhero fashion and the non-revealing, stylish outfits for female heroes. His young people actually look like 21st century young people.

I think that general character design discussion would be fair game for this thread. Like, TMNT don't go through major costume changes, but their appearances signify different eras in the history of the franchise, from the frowning b&w bastards to Ross Campbell's creepy babyfaces. Likewise, characters from the non-superhero comics that have a defined visual look - discussion about them won't harm anyone. Not as flame-inducing, I know.

Project: Rooftop is a popular website about superhero fashion. Some time ago it focused on the redesign contests (tw: steampunk), now it is a regular blog showcasing fan-art and cool outfits that sometimes sneak into the mainstream comics.

I can't enforce anything on you, but please, avoid beating the dead horses, namely Rob Liefeld and Aaron Diaz. There is nothing new to say about them at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey you made this thread. I'll repost these videos that somebody already linked in the chat thread. I'd never seen them before but they're neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fQwU7uUPcU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FxMcEZA-9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7yMDnXmcPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXo0ae_mf-g

I like that Gunn was able to figure out that Guy Gardner is an rear end in a top hat at first glance.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Honest, I've never been a big fan of Moon Knight, but he's had some pretty slick, costumes lately. I really dig that one. His other new costume is pretty awesome too, it looks more tactical, with a bit of armor.

The suit thing, always kind of reminds me of The Question, but he wears it a lot more authoritatively.

I kind of dig Hulk's Mr. Fixit, too. For the same reason Tim Gunn said. It kind of streamlines his bulk. Here he is from Marvel Heroes, sadly no pinstripes on this suit.

Maybe I just like suits?

I'm also really glad Psylocke had pants now. She looks more ninja, and way less sex-kitten.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
This Tumblr is worth a look.

I actually really like this Ivy design...

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I dunno, that looks more like something Harley would wear if she decided to go with a plant theme the next time she teamed up with Ivy when Mistah J was in the hoosegow.

e: Oh, I hadn't looked at the tumblr before commenting on the design, I didn't realize it was just an artist drawing a costume a little kid had worn. Now don't I feel like an rear end in a top hat.

Angry Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 14, 2014

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be fair that tumblr also involves a topless-Ballerina-Hulk.

I like the whip even if that's cribbing from Catwoman a bit, but honestly I've never dug green skinned Ivy or her just being naked with carefully placed leaves.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

fatherboxx posted:

I can't enforce anything on you, but please, avoid beating the dead horses, namely Rob Liefeld and Aaron Diaz. There is nothing new to say about them at this point.

In defense of Rob, though, I do remember back in the early 90s right before or after he started his New Mutants run, he did an interview where he brought up some interesting thoughts at the time on his costume designs. It's been years since I read it, but I seem to remember him talking about how he went through some fashion magazines to get an idea of styles and try to make them work for superheroes and while it was never really shown too much in the comics I think he talked about how all his costumes were supposed to be sort of multifunction: The sleeves were to be able to come off the jackets for hot weather, there'd be hoods that came out of the collars for cold/wet weather.

All that being said, I liked his Cannonball redesign. Sam's goggles sort of invoking the idea of an old WWI/WWII pilot sort of fits a bit with a notion of a old-fashioned, good-natured, all-American boy with dreams/powers of flying.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

udon taskmaster

Udon Taskmaster

UDON TASKMASTER

I have no idea why, but I love this costume. It's somewhat generic and ultimately significantly less "iconic" looking than the Skeletor 'underwear-on-the-outside' costume but I freakin' love it.
It doesn't really evoke anything special in it's design besides a bit of a "high tech mercenary" deal but for some reason it's just insanely appealing! I don't get it!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The stylized skull face looks cool and dynamic in a semi-anime way, instead of looking like a goofy Skeletor face with bulging eyes. I think that's the main reason it works. Well, that and the colors are just really good.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
The Udon/Tatical Task Master is the one they're currently using for the Ultimate Spider Man cartoon, much to my surprise. I dig it, but I kind of dig all of Task Master's costume.

That, and Tasky seems to be the main villain for this season.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54067

So we have a Fem-Thor. Outfit's not too shabby, but I would really like if they got rid of the boob-plate...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think Colleen Coover's design for her and Paul Tobin's Bandette is fantastic, clean lines and colors and instantly iconic in the same way Wally Wood's Daredevil is. Also, much like the recent Ms. Marvel and Batgirl redesigns (as acknowledged in that initial Cameron Stewart interview), it lends itself really well to cosplayers, which, while not my scene, is a great way to connect with a large and too-often neglected part of the fanbase. I'd never thought about that aspect of costume design before, but once it was in my mind, it seems like a fantastic way of making the comics community more inclusive and encouraging creative engagement.

On the total other end of the spectrum, I was rereading some mid-90s Marvel titles last week and found a little feature they briefly ran in the back of issues called "Timeslip," where they had artists redesign certain characters as if they were being introduced, fresh off the assembly line, circa 199x. I sort of love John Paul Leon's bulky, baroque Doctor Doom:

Here's a modified take on it I found, by an artist named T. Branch:

I like how it combines Doctor Doom's sort of hermetic, hands-on rust & blood aesthetic with a bit more of a flashy ceremonial uniform aspect. Unlike Magneto's House of M design, which, while nice looking, didn't really communicate much about Mags' character, this ensemble still conveys a lot of information I think. The costumes themselves, as well as their respective postures, suggest that these suits come with a lot of gravitas and power, but aren't much fun to move around in . They feel and look powerful and large but also suggest kind of a stiffness or rigidity-- very Doom, especially as a contrast to Mr. Fantastic's embodied flexibility/fluidity.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I really liked Ultimate Spider-Woman's costume. It was simple, but really nice.

(Haha, I never noticed Miles' knee and elbow pads.)

Her new one is awful.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
That looks like it came straight out of the nineties.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Laughing Zealot posted:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54067

So we have a Fem-Thor. Outfit's not too shabby, but I would really like if they got rid of the boob-plate...

Yeah, I think what they're trying to do with the boob-plate is incorporate some of man-Thor's look and it doesn't really carry over well. Like, I think they're trying to take his chest... plates?

(What the hell are those anyway?)

...And just transfer that to a woman, but someone decided "Well if we're gonna be slapping metal bits over her boobs anyway, why not go full plate?"

Or you could just take the cynical route and say they just wanted to show off a female character's boobs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Angry Walrus posted:

That looks like it came straight out of the nineties.

She lost the jacket in a fight in a recent issue, which improves it a bit (but then it's just a worse Anya Corazon Spider-Girl) but she keeps complaining about it so I'm sure she'll get another terrible one soon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Both of those are basically just variations on Black Suit Spider-man, one of the most successful and iconic costume changes in comic book history. Spidey went from having arguably the best costume in comics to having the other best costume in comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Other than the green Wonder Man costume, obviously.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Both of those are basically just variations on Black Suit Spider-man, one of the most successful and iconic costume changes in comic book history. Spidey went from having arguably the best costume in comics to having the other best costume in comics.

And Black Suit Spidey is just a male version of the second Spider-Woman's costume.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Some of my all-time favorite costumes include The Rocketeer, Hunter Rose Grendel, Reuben Flagg and the other Plexus Rangers from American Flagg!, Nightwing's long-lasting black and blue costume, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), Booster Gold, Catwoman's Darwyn Cooke-designed black costume with the goggles, and Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe (both his initial mask with the goggles and his second, arguably more iconic mask with the knight-like visor).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Horrible Taste posted:

And Black Suit Spidey is just a male version of the second Spider-Woman's costume.
I like that this is actually canon.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Even the misfire costumes can occasionally get a new lease on life.

I mean, look at this:

It really doesn't seem to work for Spider-Man, but then they turned around and gave that costume to Spider-Girl:

Somehow it just works for her.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Crosspost from the Marvel thread, here's a bunch of new costumes showing the designs for the new female Thor, Falcon as Cap, and a new Iron Man armor. I overall like the Thor, the Iron Man is kind of bland and the Cap design is way to busy in the chest and has a lot of extraneous elements like the massive belt buckle and side ridges that it would look better without.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

All of these are really bad, except maybe Falcon-Cap - goggles are alright and I like the round emblem.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wait, are they really trying to make Deathlok A Thing after Agents of SHIELD?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Dacap posted:

Crosspost from the Marvel thread, here's a bunch of new costumes showing the designs for the new female Thor, Falcon as Cap, and a new Iron Man armor. I overall like the Thor, the Iron Man is kind of bland and the Cap design is way to busy in the chest and has a lot of extraneous elements like the massive belt buckle and side ridges that it would look better without.

Who's the guy on fire?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

PicklePants posted:

Who's the guy on fire?

"Inferno" from Inhuman, apparently.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Even the misfire costumes can occasionally get a new lease on life.

I mean, look at this:

It really doesn't seem to work for Spider-Man, but then they turned around and gave that costume to Spider-Girl:

Somehow it just works for her.

It's mostly because the center shape of red is slimming and effeminate. Doesn't look so good on a dude, looks fine on a dudette.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

fatherboxx posted:

All of these are really bad, except maybe Falcon-Cap - goggles are alright and I like the round emblem.

it took me a minute to even find iron man

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The new Iron Man suit was designed after Tony beat Metroid Prime 2 for the first time.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

it took me a minute to even find iron man

Wait he's in there? I don't-

Oh they took his super iconic coloring out and he's just grey now :geno:

In some other thread, somebody found a bunch of classic-anime versions of superheroes that had pretty cool costumes:

BlueDestiny fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 17, 2014

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

The Star Lord design from the Abnett and Lanning era of Cosmic Marvel is one of my favorite costumes of all times. Apart from the militaristic elements of it, it harkens back to the old adventure serials of the 30's and 40's which I'm just a sucker for. The Rocketeer is another one of my favorite costume designs and this particular Star Lord design is cut from the same cloth.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What do people prefer for Thor? Armored sleeves or none? They're a good idea, but Thor doesn't really need them at all. I think the bare arms really drive home his strength and physique. It's like how long-sleeved jerseys rarely look good on basketball players.

Also, I really liked the Ben Reilly Spider-Man costume. It was 90s with the enlarged spider symbol, but it wasn't as tacky as the Scarlet Spider torn shirt.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

The Star Lord design from the Abnett and Lanning era of Cosmic Marvel is one of my favorite costumes of all times. Apart from the militaristic elements of it, it harkens back to the old adventure serials of the 30's and 40's which I'm just a sucker for. The Rocketeer is another one of my favorite costume designs and this particular Star Lord design is cut from the same cloth.

Another one of my favorites. It was really disappointing that they went with a more generic, Malcolm Reynolds-inspired look for him in the current Bendis series and the movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dacap posted:

I really don't like Thor lady's boob plate and world of warcraft gauntlets. It's a bad costume, which is a shame, since a lot of artists have been able to do amazing variants of Thor's basic costume for the past decade or so.

Plus, whoever drew that forgot to give her any muscle mass.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Dacap posted:

I just realized Medusa's new costume looks like Maxima from DC's Extreme Justice, with touches of Deja Thoris.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I just realized Medusa's new costume looks like Maxima from DC's Extreme Justice, with touches of Deja Thoris.

Boobsocks 2.0, now with the accentuating belts!

Fire guy looks like Brand from League of Legends; given that Madureira has been working in the game industry for a while, might be even intentional. Although "fire guy in torn pants" is not exactly an original concept, of course. Charred black is better that just another human torch present here.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

What do people prefer for Thor? Armored sleeves or none? They're a good idea, but Thor doesn't really need them at all. I think the bare arms really drive home his strength and physique. It's like how long-sleeved jerseys rarely look good on basketball players.

Also, I really liked the Ben Reilly Spider-Man costume. It was 90s with the enlarged spider symbol, but it wasn't as tacky as the Scarlet Spider torn shirt.

I prefer armored simply because they fit more in line with my idea of what a viking god should look like. Plus, half the time artists just draw them as like, plate spandex so you still get to see that he has huge muscles.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tetsuya Nomura Batman :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
That's not even properly showing off the "best" part: WING ARMS!

Because sometimes we need a reminder that yes, things can be even worse than the AmeComi statues.

• Locked thread