Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
I played SNES Punch-out before any other Punch-Out, so they stick in my mind more than the NES or Arcade originals do. Gabby Jay is more immediately the loser, Masked Muscle is a cheating bastard, Heike Kagero still trips me up and Hoi Karlo is insanity. All of the older boxers weren't especially memorable to me other than Super Macho Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Word on the Wind posted:

I played SNES Punch-out before any other Punch-Out, so they stick in my mind more than the NES or Arcade originals do. Gabby Jay is more immediately the loser, Masked Muscle is a cheating bastard, Heike Kagero still trips me up and Hoi Karlo is insanity. All of the older boxers weren't especially memorable to me other than Super Macho Man.

I want Gabby Jay to be in the next Punch-Out.

let's beat up the elderly again

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I think it's a really fun way to present things. Like a new game plus.

I sure hope they make another punch-out soon, though I do wonder how it would be structured. I mean, at the end of this, Mac is the world champion. They can't just make a sequel where he starts all over again, or one where he's just defending the title. Would he migrate to a different league? Would he pass the torch to some new Little Mac? Also, does the world video boxing league (or whatever it's called) have a women's division? They could go all Karate Kid 4 on this franchise!

You can always go the "back from retirement" angle as well.

Or go full Space Jam and box aliens :getin:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Bellmaker posted:

You can always go the "back from retirement" angle as well.

Or go full Space Jam and box aliens :getin:
Didn't someone try to make a really dumb romhack of NES Punch-Out, and it was literally just "Mike Tyson punches out aliens that are really badly rendered by NES graphics" or something?

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

FinalGamer posted:

Didn't someone try to make a really dumb romhack of NES Punch-Out, and it was literally just "Mike Tyson punches out aliens that are really badly rendered by NES graphics" or something?

It wasn't a romhack, it was a real game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Punch_II

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Spikey posted:

It wasn't a romhack, it was a real game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Punch_II

God that game was beyond terrible.

I love punch-out but don't have a Wii anymore, so I only get to enjoy it via video. Thanks for making this.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Really like this game and this Let's Play, and I'm honestly surprised how the boxers' certain quirks can be easily exploited. Especially with Mr. Sandman. I do have to wonder what Title Defense will do to make them more challenging.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Really like this game and this Let's Play, and I'm honestly surprised how the boxers' certain quirks can be easily exploited. Especially with Mr. Sandman. I do have to wonder what Title Defense will do to make them more challenging.
Some of the fighters aren't really that much more difficult, while others are hard as hell. I'd elaborate on all of them and say which one is the one I hate fighting the most, but I'd rather let ThornBrain get to it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
<looks around, doesn't see any boxing and leaves>

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So is this LP concluded?

cause your are really loving good at this and I heard you can punch donkey kong

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 4, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Herr Tog posted:

So is this LP concluded?

cause your are really loving good at this and I heard you can punch donkey kong

We're working on it. And spoilers, for gently caress's sake.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I prefer the slow update schedule if it means we get quality updates of a man absolutely annihilating every fighter that comes his way.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

I prefer the slow update schedule if it means we get quality updates of a man absolutely annihilating every fighter that comes his way.
So basically, the Mr. Sandman way of doing things recreated in full 3D glory :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There's another, even harder to get to bonus fight. Will you guys be able to do that one?

oldskool posted:

Of all the first-time characters to debut, they go with Disco Kid? I guess they can get away with more as a throwback as opposed to debuting something as heavily stereotypical as necessary to blend in with the Punch-Out universe.
They had a very good reason to use Disco Kid instead of the original Kid Quick: . His appearance is really suggestive of racial stereotype. Disco Kid's vaguely camp persona is an improvement.

slycooper20 posted:

I've heard some people say that Glass Joe's only win was against Bald Bull, which was something.
In SNES punch-out, it's said that Gabby Jay's only win was against Glass Joe. According to the wiki, his one win in this game was a freak win against Nick Bruiser(!)

J.theYellow posted:

He originated in the SNES Super Punch-Out!!, which meant all his personality had to come from the Wii version. He's Irish. That's all we know about him at this point.
Aran Ryan was meant to be really unlikeable, even in his SNES incarnation. He's the first character to "cheat" by clinching, then getting an uppercut on you out of it- which is also a health-draining move. Ryan was meant to be the first character to cause losses by time-out.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 5, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

Aran Ryan was meant to be really unlikeable, even in his SNES incarnation. He's the first character to "cheat" by clinching, then getting an uppercut on you out of it- which is also a health-draining move. Ryan was meant to be the first character to cause losses by time-out.

On the flip side of that coin, if you got good at countering the clinch then he was the architect of his own destruction :v:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Discendo Vox posted:

They had a very good reason to use Disco Kid instead of the original Kid Quick: . His appearance is really suggestive of racial stereotype.
And yet big-scary-black-man Mr. Sandman was A-OK. I don't get it. Unless Kid Quick's between-rounds lines were all about chicken and watermelon, I'm not seeing the issue with his looks.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ThornBrain posted:

We're working on it. And spoilers, for gently caress's sake.

no policy stated in the OP B. poo poo is bananas

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

MR. J posted:

And yet big-scary-black-man Mr. Sandman was A-OK. I don't get it. Unless Kid Quick's between-rounds lines were all about chicken and watermelon, I'm not seeing the issue with his looks.

He's not just a scary-black-man, he's the champion. It makes good sense that he's this hulking, intimidating monster. Him being black is really a non-issue. He could be any race, and he would still go with the intimidation factor. It's not even portrayed negatively, as Super Macho Man and Aran Ryan is portrayed: Sandman is just this zealous champion who still abides by the rule.

To be honest, I think he's one of the few boxers that abide the rules besides Little Mac.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't know if there's anything that outright says it, but it's commonly thought that Mr. Sandman is at based on or inspired by Philadelphian heavyweight world champion Joe Frazier. Of course, Mr. Sandman is even bigger and meaner, but every character in this game is a cartoonish caricature anyway.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ArcadePark posted:

He's not just a scary-black-man, he's the champion. It makes good sense that he's this hulking, intimidating monster. Him being black is really a non-issue. He could be any race, and he would still go with the intimidation factor. It's not even portrayed negatively, as Super Macho Man and Aran Ryan is portrayed: Sandman is just this zealous champion who still abides by the rule.

To be honest, I think he's one of the few boxers that abide the rules besides Little Mac.
Pretty much, the only other boxers I can think of that play like straight-up boxers are Glass Joe and Von Kaiser...though I don't think it's in the rules to do overhead smashes so that counts in King Hippo too. Sandman is frightening but he's a worthy opponent, even though he does try to flinch you out with a little "boo" which does get me often.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

FinalGamer posted:

Pretty much, the only other boxers I can think of that play like straight-up boxers are Glass Joe and Von Kaiser...though I don't think it's in the rules to do overhead smashes so that counts in King Hippo too. Sandman is frightening but he's a worthy opponent, even though he does try to flinch you out with a little "boo" which does get me often.

Which says a lot that the other two are in the lowest league.

Sandman got to be the best boxer in the world, while literally everyone else was cheating in some way, playing totally fair, something only Mac also managed.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Stallion Cabana posted:

Sandman got to be the best boxer in the world, while literally everyone else was cheating in some way, playing totally fair, something only Mac also managed.

Most of the boxers in this game don't cheat though? They may not fight like actual boxers fight, but they don't do anything flagrantly against the rules like you'd see in Super Punch-Out. Nobody kicks you or hits you with a foreign object or anything. Aran Ryan headbutts, and Great Tiger is a wizard, but everyone else just punches you.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

Most of the boxers in this game don't cheat though? They may not fight like actual boxers fight, but they don't do anything flagrantly against the rules like you'd see in Super Punch-Out. Nobody kicks you or hits you with a foreign object or anything. Aran Ryan headbutts, and Great Tiger is a wizard, but everyone else just punches you.

Aran Ryan put horseshoes in his gloves, remember? Also, just you wait.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Walrus Pete posted:

Soda Popinski drinks a literal healing soda during the match which I'm pretty sure denotes him as being a drug abuser of some sort, at least in the official sense of using chemical performance enhancers. But yeah other than that none of them really do anything aually illegal towards you other than those that you mentioned.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Walrus Pete posted:

King Hippo and Bear Hugger does a Bear Hug( or a Hippo Hug, as it is called for King Hippo), which is illegal in boxing. Great Tiger's Magic is still not in the realm of techniques allowed in Boxing. Don Flamenco does a backhand punch, which is not allowed in boxing. Aran Ryan just flat-out cheats. Soda Popinski brings drinks on the ring, and I presume there is some shady substances in that drink. Even if that wasn't the case, you are not allowed to bring foreign objects in the ring, consumable or not. Bald Bull does a charging Headbutt, which again, against the rules. Super Macho Man does the spinning clothesline, which is not allowed due to the fact that you are not supposed to attack your opponent with your arm.

One thing I'm not too sure about is Sandman's smashes. There aren't many instances of boxers actually smashing, as height differences aren't this drastic, so it's hard to know.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

ArcadePark posted:

Bald Bull does a charging Headbutt, which again, against the rules.

Bald Bull doesn't headbutt you, the Bull-Charge ends with an uppercut.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Zebia posted:

Bald Bull doesn't headbutt you, the Bull-Charge ends with an uppercut.

There is a headbutt in the Super Nintendo version, but then there's also a guy hitting you with a cane.

I guess what I'm saying is there's a lot a broken rules in Super Punch-Out.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

The cane is obviously against the rules but what does the boxing rulebook have to say about jumping 20 feet in the air?

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008

Death Zebra posted:

The cane is obviously against the rules but what does the boxing rulebook have to say about jumping 20 feet in the air?

"Both feet must stay on the mat when landing a punch." :eng101:

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
Thanks for fooling me into thinking there was an update

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Now that Mac's at the top, obviously everyone we asskicked gets to fight us again.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I like how King Hippo takes damage from the manhole cover hitting his foot. Its the little things that show they care.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

YES IT'S BACK :syoon: Aw man I'm really glad to see this back I've been waiting for this.
So if von Kaiser only got one bop off on you, would that be called "Das Bop"? :v:

MelvinBison posted:

I like how King Hippo takes damage from the manhole cover hitting his foot. Its the little things that show they care.
Wait, seriously oh my god I never noticed that. This is why this game is awesome, so much little attention to detail right there. :allears:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 21, 2014

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
It's worth noting that it's in continuity that losing to Little Mac gave Glass Joe a record of 1-100, and that's what enables him to wear head gear into a fight, under WVBA rules.

If you lose 100 times in Punch-Out!!, Little Mac can wear head gear, and every battle in the ring is like playing against a holo-opponent, where he doesn't take damage from head shots. You have to work really hard to lose that much, though.

If you lose to TD Glass Joe, he climbs up on the corner ropes and yells, "C'est gagné!" (I am the winner!)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Seeing as feet will only be a part of this thread for one video, I'm tempted to have the title changed to "Bop Goes the World".

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Who is the one guy that Glass Joe beat? I think in one of the other games it was something silly like a freak victory against Nick Bruiser, but he's not in this game, so...

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Who is the one guy that Glass Joe beat? I think in one of the other games it was something silly like a freak victory against Nick Bruiser, but he's not in this game, so...

I can't think of anyone in the game that he's supposedly beat in the past. Glass Joe on the NES was somewhat attributed to Mike Tyson, since in an interview Mike Tyson said Glass Joe beat him. Gabby Jay in the SNES was rumored to have beaten Nick Bruiser. The only thing I can figure is maybe he got one of those fluke victories against Mr. Sandman, but I'm pretty sure Mr. Sandman is undefeated in this game. Same for Super Macho Man, he only got beat by Mr. Sandman.

Bald Bull maybe?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

dscruffy1 posted:

I can't think of anyone in the game that he's supposedly beat in the past. Glass Joe on the NES was somewhat attributed to Mike Tyson, since in an interview Mike Tyson said Glass Joe beat him. Gabby Jay in the SNES was rumored to have beaten Nick Bruiser. The only thing I can figure is maybe he got one of those fluke victories against Mr. Sandman, but I'm pretty sure Mr. Sandman is undefeated in this game. Same for Super Macho Man, he only got beat by Mr. Sandman.

Bald Bull maybe?
I have to guess Bald Bull yeah, it's like Glass Joe to get off a fluky counterpunch during a Bull Charge and that's his single win

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Seeing as feet will only be a part of this thread for one video, I'm tempted to have the title changed to "Bop Goes the World".
"The Bop Heard Round The World"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Good to see this back. Keeping bopping

• Locked thread