Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
I was eating at the (boston) restaurant my friend works at the other day and she picked up like $130 over 5 hours and she said thats on the low end of average. Is this normal and if so how do you get one of these jobs when they all require experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

be sexy or be the token old server.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

gagelion posted:

I was eating at the (boston) restaurant my friend works at the other day and she picked up like $130 over 5 hours and she said thats on the low end of average. Is this normal and if so how do you get one of these jobs when they all require experience

you start at denny's or ihop. They always have one young new person working the 6 am shift.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

gagelion posted:

Job Requirements: Large Boobs

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
Should I send some face shots with my resume

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
They can't only hire good looking girls. I always see dude waiters too and they are usually reasonably attractive but didn't make me want to go gay or anything.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

gagelion posted:

They can't only hire good looking girls. I always see dude waiters too and they are usually reasonably attractive but didn't make me want to go gay or anything.

Hung like horses.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

dontcareaboutname posted:

Hung like horses.

Someone order the "footlong"?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
if you like people and food and find a good place that isn't run by an rear end in a top hat/megalomaniac/douchebag, then yeah, serving kicks rear end. you make friends, make a shitload of money, and sometimes get free booze if the restaurant owner is cool. unfortunately, like 75% of restaurants have some major flaw that renders them miserable.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I personally know several millionaires who have retired from being servers after making just too much money. Good luck, OP.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
it's not as good a gig as being a bartender in a popular spot

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Also, $25-$30 an hour in Boston isn't very good.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I had a waitress take the orders from 6 of us, including substitutions without writing any of it down.

I asked her if she was a Wizard
She said maybe.

Makes you think

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
makes you tihnk that everyone ordering a hanburger and fries and one guy asking for no pickles is a hard order

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I've heard that being forced to serve other people food and watch them eat it is a bit like cucking

food cucking.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Turns out the rumors are true. Taylor Hanson’s rear end in a top hat is one big sloppy mess… at least it SOUNDS that way!

A matter of two days ago the rumored sex audio of Taylor being hosed/fisted in a bathroom (which has been floating about the internet for the past few weeks) finally found it’s way onto a public file share/host site and is taking the internet by storm. According to the rumor in recent weeks Taylor was recorded by one of his sex partners on a small mp3 recorder during sex in a bathroom.

First linked through The DataLounge the audio clip lasts a whopping five plus minutes long. Through out the audio you can clearly hear grotesque squishing, slopping and plowing sounds. The funny thing is, Taylor’s voice is crystal clear groaning and moaning in his signature style mixed with “Oh GOD” and “OH gently caress” over and over. Shocking some is the grunting from his MALE partner who talks about how nice his rear end is. The audio wraps with a variety of noises from farting, bubbling and splattering sounds, complete with Taylor panting, grunting, straining and sighing in the process of what insiders say is him prolapsing his worn out rear end in a top hat.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

Turns out the rumors are true. Taylor Hanson’s rear end in a top hat is one big sloppy mess… at least it SOUNDS that way!

A matter of two days ago the rumored sex audio of Taylor being hosed/fisted in a bathroom (which has been floating about the internet for the past few weeks) finally found it’s way onto a public file share/host site and is taking the internet by storm. According to the rumor in recent weeks Taylor was recorded by one of his sex partners on a small mp3 recorder during sex in a bathroom.

First linked through The DataLounge the audio clip lasts a whopping five plus minutes long. Through out the audio you can clearly hear grotesque squishing, slopping and plowing sounds. The funny thing is, Taylor’s voice is crystal clear groaning and moaning in his signature style mixed with “Oh GOD” and “OH gently caress” over and over. Shocking some is the grunting from his MALE partner who talks about how nice his rear end is. The audio wraps with a variety of noises from farting, bubbling and splattering sounds, complete with Taylor panting, grunting, straining and sighing in the process of what insiders say is him prolapsing his worn out rear end in a top hat.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Waltzing Along posted:

drat waiting tables seems hosed up

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Minimum wage for tip workers has been stuck at $2.13 an hour for over 20 years now. Hope you're good at serving, OP

E: Average earnings for waitstaff as of May 2012 are $11.82

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, $25-$30 an hour in Boston isn't very good.

Why isnt everyone a loving waiter then

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Restaurant owners are, by and large, a piece of the pie that makes up the absolutely abhorrent bottom 1% of the scum of the earth

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

Minimum wage for tip workers has been stuck at $2.13 an hour for over 20 years now. Hope you're good at serving, OP

E: Average earnings for waitstaff as of May 2012 are $11.82

So are wait staff just really loving dumb to not be able to cashier and make regular minimum wage for 10x less effort

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

I personally know several millionaires who have retired from being servers after making just too much money. Good luck, OP.

lol

Sexual Velcro
Jun 28, 2008

gagelion posted:

those are called busboys

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

completely accurate description of every single customer service job

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sexual Velcro posted:

those are called busboys

The only male waiters I've ever gotten at nice restaurants totally made me want to go gay. Well gay-er. Maybe you need to go to better restaurants.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

EugeneJ posted:

So are wait staff just really loving dumb to not be able to cashier and make regular minimum wage for 10x less effort

Sometimes you have to take what you can get

If servers make under minimum wage with their regular salary + tips the restaurant is supposed to make up the difference, but most restaurants are like "FYGM"

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Be enthusiastic, fun, and serve people the way they want to be served, and people will just want to give you money.

Hell, I get offered tips bagging groceries!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

Restaurant owners are, by and large, a piece of the pie that makes up the absolutely abhorrent bottom 1% of the scum of the earth

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
yeah it's a pretty sweet gig unless you have crippling social anxiety, in which case it's a waking nightmare....where you get paid

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Hell, I get offered tips bagging groceries!

Are you posting from 1958?

Where on earth is Grocery Bagger still a job?

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Every server I know is an alcoholic, with an added bonus of taking up smoking in order to make an excuse for breaks. And possibly cocaine. They're mostly nocturnal and most of their relationships are with fellow staff, causing constant drama.

Hence how they burn out so fast and the only people doing it past their twenties are down-on-their-luck, gravelly voiced women named Maud who work truck stops and Denny's.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

Are you posting from 1958?

Where on earth is Grocery Bagger still a job?

some stores still have them as a sort of outreach program for the mentally disabled

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Benedick Cuckold posted:

some stores still have them as a sort of outreach program for the mentally disabled
I was gonna link to E/N's Benny the Snake thread but it appears to have vanished.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

forgot to quote this to signal to the thread that i, a fellow poster, read it and laughed at it

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Benedick Cuckold posted:

this is my job

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20121016120655AAUsqpP

quote:

Was I rude to ask the manager for a non retarded grocery bagger?

Now I know you politically correct liberals are gonna flip out because I "offended him," but I was in a giant rush and he bagged incredibly slow, he was trying to talk to me, and I did not want him to open up my stuff or crush it! So I requested a normal human to bag my groceries. Some liberal behind me got mad at me and started shouting. Talk about political correctness. She gave me a real bagger thankfully and I got out in time.

ahahahahahahaha

Design Spots
Jan 24, 2009

by XyloJW
http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

All tips are split at the end of till.

oh you got 130 in tips, is really like oh you got 30 bucks, because the other people who serve are dicks and don't care.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

BUSH 2112 posted:

if you like people and food and find a good place that isn't run by an rear end in a top hat/megalomaniac/douchebag, then yeah, serving kicks rear end. you make friends, make a shitload of money, and sometimes get free booze if the restaurant owner is cool. unfortunately, like 75% of restaurants have some major flaw that renders them miserable.

I used to be the General Manager of a restaurant I can assure you that they're all run by megalomaniacal rear end in a top hat douchebags. However the service industry will get you more access to both sex and drugs than just about anything else in the world you're qualified to do so I say go for it. Oh and lie on your resume. Restaurant managers are typically too hung over all day to check references.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Average earnings for waitstaff as of May 2012 are $11.82

Average reported earnings. Another perk of the industry.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Design Spots posted:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

All tips are split at the end of till.

oh you got 130 in tips, is really like oh you got 30 bucks, because the other people who serve are dicks and don't care.

How exactly does this work/break down

• Locked thread