Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I have a friend who likes to brag about the 100-200 dollar bottles of scotch that he buys. As in, he doesn't brag about the brand, just how much he paid for it. Is there a good way to imply that he's a douchenozzle without actually just saying it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Pull out an awesome $50 bottle?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Big McHuge posted:

I have a friend who likes to brag about the 100-200 dollar bottles of scotch that he buys. As in, he doesn't brag about the brand, just how much he paid for it. Is there a good way to imply that he's a douchenozzle without actually just saying it?

put fancy liquer in a 5 dollar bottle, challenge him publically to a taste off.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It seems that Zack sits down to pee

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
i don't know much about scotch, still working on that

anyway as far as bourbon goes, knob creek is pretty good but i'm not partisan

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

my favorites are highland park

I was in Edinburgh on business a few weeks ago and drank a lot of scotch including Highland Park. It was quite enjoyable.

But I only brought Demerara rum back because it's the best and you can get scotch anywhere.

naem
May 29, 2011

I actually toured a distillery in Scotland and DIY even remember the name now lol

Some guy on my bus tour bought a bottle of 18 year old whatever and we all got hammered in the ruins of a castle

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Count Freebasie posted:

I was in Edinburgh on business a few weeks ago and drank a lot of scotch including Highland Park. It was quite enjoyable.

But I only brought Demerara rum back because it's the best and you can get scotch anywhere.

Where do you live that keeps you from buying Demerara Rum?

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
I'm really enjoying Glenmorangie 10 year. 40 bux after tax as well!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Big McHuge posted:

I prefer Balvenie 12 year to the 21 year old I got for my birthday so yes he's a loving garbage moron, the older scotches don't necessarily taste better, just different.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i love scotch but gently caress these threads

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Wall Balls posted:

i love scotch but gently caress these threads

agreed

for bourbon I like pappy van winkle

for scotch I like the oban 14

but my one true love is spanish brandy either the Torres 5 or 10 year. pour it neat into a wine glass and load me up.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Lufiron posted:

agreed

for bourbon I like pappy van winkle

for scotch I like the oban 14

but my one true love is spanish brandy either the Torres 5 or 10 year. pour it neat into a wine glass and load me up.

$100 bourbon
$80 scotch
$20 spanish brandy

Poser

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I got this a couple of weeks ago and its really really nice.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TOILETLORD posted:

Good whiskey should feel and taste the same as drinking gasoline. Good whiskey shouldn't cost more than 6 dollars a bottle.

Good whiskey sounds a lot like mezcal.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Clitch posted:

$100 bourbon
$80 scotch
$20 spanish brandy

Poser

that's where you're wrong buddy. you see I actually drink the stuff on the reg so take your trophy bottles of louis the thirteenth and macallan 50 year, sit on em and spin

after you wipe the dust off of them

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Lufiron posted:

that's where you're wrong buddy. you see I actually drink the stuff on the reg so take your trophy bottles of louis the thirteenth and macallan 50 year, sit on em and spin

after you wipe the dust off of them

You drink an allocated bourbon with a 400% markup on the secondary market 'on the reg'?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I like it a lot. Let's talk about scotch.

Yeah, me too, OP. Youse alright.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Clan Cragganmore.

Glen Livet Nadurra.

even an occasional Speyburn.

these are my go to scotches.

my current fave is Silver Seal Muirhead. Quinta Ruban is delicious, FYI

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Some people are getting way to serious about their whisky posting.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
argument: 10 year scotch isnt worth drinking for free, 12 year scotch is the sweet spot, 16 year scotch is more money than usually worth. this is a broad argument and i do not care what particular scotch your dads convinced you is the best

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010
i really like scotch too, i like it a lot, its good on ice and from the bottle or in a glass

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010

extra stout posted:

argument: 10 year scotch isnt worth drinking for free, 12 year scotch is the sweet spot, 16 year scotch is more money than usually worth. this is a broad argument and i do not care what particular scotch your dads convinced you is the best

agreed. 11-15 year aged liquor is quality+price point winning.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010

get the gently caress out

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

that's just an empty hand? i don't see anything

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
both Laphroaig 10 year and Lagavulin 16 year are absolutely worth the money and you don't deserve a mouth if you think other wise

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Don't know if it's still available, but if you're ever travelling to or from Scotland, check the duty free:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

irish whiskey is better imo

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
hey everybody am i too late to desperately grasp at some pretense of sophistication or maturity by pretending to know or care about the details of one type of lovely alcohol

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010

TangentEnigma posted:

hey everybody am i too late to desperately grasp at some pretense of sophistication or maturity by pretending to know or care about the details of one type of lovely alcohol

yes. go back to bed, little one, and come back when you have hair on on your chest.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

both Laphroaig 10 year and Lagavulin 16 year are absolutely worth the money and you don't deserve a mouth if you think other wise

:agreed:

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I've never had the pleasure. I like scotch in general, and it's therefore generally good. I just think the best bang for your buck is within that sort of decade to decade and a half range.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Clitch posted:

You drink an allocated bourbon with a 400% markup on the secondary market 'on the reg'?

no my 20 dollar brandy more often than not

i drink it everyday after dinner

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

extra stout posted:

Take your bad opinions on age statements, and get out.

enzeen posted:

agreed. 11-15 year aged liquor is quality+price point winning.

Take him with you.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I just finished off a bottle of green label and even though I'm not a scotch fan, it still squelches the existential dread just as good as my Irish and Canadian whiskey favorites. Now let's go stomp the poo poo out of those vodka fags.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Just bought my first bottle of scotch tonight

Any tips on how best to enjoy scotch?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Drink it.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Check

Adbot