Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Just keep walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Haha nope.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I say untie her. We already know she wants to kill us, and she did it in such a way that nearly guarantees her dying to the guards outside. But why?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

We know she wants to kill us. This iteration of the Conqueror of the Dungeon of Fang--- which, by the way, we haven't named any of these guys, have we?--- doesn't though, so if we untie her she'll probably tear our face off.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Walk on by. Trick and horribly murder me once, shame on you, etc.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JT Jag posted:

We know she wants to kill us. This iteration of the Conqueror of the Dungeon of Fang--- which, by the way, we haven't named any of these guys, have we?--- doesn't though, so if we untie her she'll probably tear our face off.

The preceding guttural screaming would have let them know.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Section 306 posted:

If you wish to untie her, turn to Section 243.

If you would rather leave this strange Elf, retrieve your backpack and rejoin your men outside, turn to Section 320.

Section 320 posted:

As you close the door behind you, you hear the Elf cursing you loudly for abandoning her. Deduct 2 points from your Luck. Nevertheless, you convince yourself that your mission must succeed at all costs and nothing must distract you from it.

Turn to Section 211.

Section 211 posted:

You continue to march round the edge of the marsh and in less than an hour it is behind you.

Turn to Section 115.

Section 115 posted:

Two hours later, you see a small wood one hundred yards to the north. The Elven Archers suddenly halt and tilt their heads towards the wood, their keen senses alerting them to something happening.

One of the Elves approaches you and says, "We can hear the cries of several men calling for help from inside the wood."

If you wish to see who is calling out, turn to Section 28.

If you would rather continue marching east, turn to Section 295.

Adventure Sheet posted:

Personal Attributes

Name = Bob the Bold
Skill = 10/10
Stamina = 19/19
Luck = 8/11 :siren:

Wealth

Gold Pieces = 710

Inventory

Soldiers

Warriors - 100
Dwarves - 50
Elven Archers - 50
Knights - 20

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Someone's calling for help? What could possibly go wrong? Let's go help them!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Help them! I'm sure that the good people of this land are not all hags in disguise!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Surely the evil witch's neighbors couldn't also be laying a trap! We're helping!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Section 115 posted:

If you wish to see who is calling out, turn to Section 28.

If you would rather continue marching east, turn to Section 295.

Section 28 posted:

Ten of the Elves accompany you as you walk stealthily in the wood, sword in hand. You can hear the cries for help quite clearly yourself now, as you slip quickly from behind one tree to the next.

Suddenly, in front of you you see a wooden cage suspended by a rope from the branch of a tree. You see another close by with two arms sticking out between the wooden boards. You count eleven cages in total, each one probably holding a person.

If you wish to make yourself known to the men in the cages, turn to Section 182.

If you would rather retreat quietly out of the wood and rejoin the main body of your troops, turn to Section 143.

Adventure Sheet posted:

Personal Attributes

Name = Bob the Bold
Skill = 10/10
Stamina = 19/19
Luck = 8/11

Wealth

Gold Pieces = 710

Inventory

Soldiers

Warriors - 100
Dwarves - 50
Elven Archers - 50
Knights - 20

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hags! Every single one of them!

Let them know we're here to help!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Someone has helpfully laid out a fine meal for us. Go forth and feast.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Help them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Added Space posted:

Someone has helpfully laid out a fine meal for us. Go forth and feast.

I think you mean help stop the feast. Who do you think we are? (Let them know we're here.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
No choice other than blundering in blindly or giving up and going home? Ah, Fighting Fantasy, how I've missed you. Let them and their captors know we're here, with only ten soldiers, and that we're carrying large amounts of money!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Section 28 posted:

If you wish to make yourself known to the men in the cages, turn to Section 182.

If you would rather retreat quietly out of the wood and rejoin the main body of your troops, turn to Section 143.

Section 182 posted:

You step out from behind a tree so that the men in the cages can see you.

"Free us! Free us quickly before the Orcs return!" one of them shouts desperately. "Two days ago their archers cut us down, killing twelve of us and injuring another. We were travelling east to join the army we have heard about that is marching to meet the Shadow Demon's forces."

You sense that the man is telling the truth and instruct the Elves to let the cages down. Ten tired-looking Warriors are freed from their cages, but the eleventh has died of his wounds. The ten are keen to join you when they learn, much to their surprise, that you command the army they are looking for. After giving them food and water, you lead them out of the wood.

Turn to Section 143.

Section 143 posted:

You are almost out of the wood when you hear savage war-cries. While you are still too far from the main body of your army to rally them to you, fifteen heavily armoured orcs run through the trees towards you, brandishing swords, axes and warhammers. You must fight a Skirmish Battle.

code:
Round 1
10 Warriors + 10 Elves vs 15 Orcs
Situation:  Superior
Roll = 5 ([url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4573288[/url])
Killed 10 Orcs

Round 2
10 Warriors + 10 Elves vs 5 Orcs
Situation:  Superior
Roll = 3 ([url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4573291[/url])
Killed 5 Orcs

VICTORY
If you win, turn to Section 242.

Section 242 posted:

A search of the Orcs' possessions yields 10 Gold Pieces and some extra weapons for your men. After the weapons have been distributed, you walk out of the wood to rejoin the rest of your troops.

Turn to Section 295.

Section 295 posted:

The rest of the day passes without incident. As the light starts to face, you look for a place to make camp for the night. You soon find a suitable spot by the river and before long a fire is built and the designated cooks get to work spit-roasting wild pigs. Everybody eats well, satisfying their large appetites after the long day's march. After posting six guards for the night watch, you settle down to sleep.

You set off on your march again in the early morning, hoping to reach Zengis by nightfall. After an hour or so, you meet an old man walking in the opposite direction.

"You're the one who's going to fight Agglax, aren't you?" he asks boldly. You nod in agreement.

"Good!" he continues. "Then I suggest that when you come to the fork in the river, you follow the north branch until you reach the village of Claw. There are plenty of Hill Men up there who would be ready to join your army."

You thank the old man for the information and press on eastwards. After an hour, you come to the fork in the river that the old man was talking about.

If you wish to follow the north branch as suggested by the old man, turn to Section 350.

If you would rather cross over the new branch and follow the main river eastwards, turn to Section 49.

Adventure Sheet posted:

Personal Attributes

Name = Bob the Bold
Skill = 10/10
Stamina = 19/19
Luck = 8/11

Wealth

Gold Pieces = 720 :siren:

Inventory

Soldiers

Warriors - 110 :siren:
Dwarves - 50
Elven Archers - 50
Knights - 20

Predecessors and Epitaphs posted:

Major Minor - Damsels in Distress are Deviously Deadly

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 17, 2014

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
All old men are wizards. All wizards are evil. Ergo, this old man is evil. Follow the main river eastwards

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I say we continue with our "What could possibly go wrong?" pattern and head North, as instructed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

If we die, let us die from good intentions.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Section 295 posted:

If you wish to follow the north branch as suggested by the old man, turn to Section 350.

If you would rather cross over the new branch and follow the main river eastwards, turn to Section 49.

Section 350 posted:

Walking upriver along the bank, you pass six old oak trees. One of the trees has long since died, but has a door set in its trunk.

If you would like to open the door and see what's inside, turn to Section 167.

If you would rather keep going towards Claw, turn to Section 399.

Adventure Sheet posted:

Personal Attributes

Name = Bob the Bold
Skill = 10/10
Stamina = 19/19
Luck = 8/11

Wealth

Gold Pieces = 720

Inventory

Soldiers

Warriors - 110
Dwarves - 50
Elven Archers - 50
Knights - 20

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
If it's dead, it's probably not helpful to us. Walk on by

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Let's pretend like stopping for everything isn't a terrible idea.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Open it!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Let's pretend like stopping for everything isn't a terrible idea.

Of course it's not.

Probably.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Section 350 posted:

If you would like to open the door and see what's inside, turn to Section 167.

If you would rather keep going towards Claw, turn to Section 399.

Section 167 posted:

The door is locked and you have to prise it open with your sword. Finally, with a loud noise of splintering wood, the door flies open to reveal a large, rusty iron box.

Crudely printed words on the lid give the warning: "DO NOT OPEN! PROPERTY OF UNMOU!"

If you nevertheless wish to open the box, turn to Section 229.

If you would rather respect the owner's wishes, leave the box and march on, turn to Section 399.

Adventure Sheet posted:

Personal Attributes

Name = Bob the Bold
Skill = 10/10
Stamina = 19/19
Luck = 8/11

Wealth

Gold Pieces = 720

Inventory

Soldiers

Warriors - 110
Dwarves - 50
Elven Archers - 50
Knights - 20

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I know that it's probably some ogre and that the guy's going to come back just as we're about to leave, but hey Unmou! gently caress you!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

They're asking nicely for us not to open it. Let's not open it.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Thieving is bad. Leave the box.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Teddles posted:

Thieving is bad. Leave the box.

Thats what they want you to think! Open the box

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I know that it's probably some ogre and that the guy's going to come back just as we're about to leave, but hey Unmou! gently caress you!

Yeah. gently caress Unmou. Open it!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Section 167 posted:

If you nevertheless wish to open the box, turn to Section 229.

If you would rather respect the owner's wishes, leave the box and march on, turn to Section 399.

Section 229 posted:

You lift the lid and find that the box is crammed full with the possessions of a Goblin named Unmou. A diary written in Goblin language tells of Unmou's adventures and battles in the past five years, interspersed with reminiscences of his childhood and early adulthood in a Goblin farming village and the day a party of human, dwarven and elvish adventurers razed his home and killed his wife and daughter. This is read out to you by one of your Dwarfs, who learnt the Goblin language during the two years he spent in a slave mine.

The Dwarf reads out the last entry with concern in his voice: "I'm off to join the army! Agglax is yearning for us to do some burning. We're all willing, itching for killing, thirsting for vengeance."

However, you find no map or clue as to where Unmou has gone to find Agglax. His other possessions amount to a blanket, a leather pouch full of teeth, two clay pots, a pair of leather sandals, a brass nose-ring, a pewter mug, a bag of shells, a carved wooden frog inscribed with the Goblin words for "A Presant for the Wurld's Bestestest Daddy", and a copper amulet in the shape of a beetle on a copper chain.

The amulet is the only thing which interests you. Decide whether or not to place it round your neck before leading your troops north again.

Turn to Section 399.

Section 399 posted:

About an hour later, a voice behind you suddenly shouts, "Look! Look up to the skies in the east! A flying creature with a rider!"

You look up to see a lizard-like creature with great green leathery wings swooping down towards you - it's a Wyvern, and its Goblin rider is aiming its bow straight at you. The Wyvern's mouth roars open to send a bursting ball of flame down at you.

Roll one die.

code:
Roll = 2 ([url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4573560[/url])
If you roll a 1, turn to Section 97.

If you roll between 2 and 5, turn to Section 207.

If you roll a 6, turn to Section 360.

Section 207 posted:

With quick reflexes, you dive to one side and only your left leg is burnt by the fireball. Deduct 2 points from your Stamina. You roll over and try to stand, just as the Goblin rider looses its arrow at you.

Roll one die.

code:
Roll = 3 ([url]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4573561[/url])
If you roll a 1, turn to Section 304.

If you roll between 2 and 4, turn to Section 344.

If you roll a 5, turn to Section 147.

If you roll a 6, turn to Section 283.

Section 344 posted:

You try to jump backwards but are struck in the shoulder by the arrow. Deduct 2 points from your Stamina.

The Wyvern is steered skywards again by the Goblin as your troops rush to your aid. As soon as your wound is dressed and bandaged, you give the order to march on. Privately, you wonder if the attack from the air had been an assassination attempt on behalf of Agglax.

Turn to Section 220.

Section 220 posted:

It is mid-afternoon when you see wisps of smoke rising into the air against the distant stark backdrop of Icefinger Mountains, stretching as far east and west as you can see. The Elves' keen eyesight reveals that the smoke is rising from the chimneys of huts in a small village which, you presume, must be Claw.

You decide to enter the village with only ten soldiers to show the Hill Men that you mean them no harm. Twenty minutes later, you enter the village, but it appears completely deserted: not a soul is in sight. Only the smoke which continues to rise from the chimneys convinces you that somebody must be near by.

The village consists of thirty wooden huts forming a circle round one large hut, which you assume is either a meeting place or a hall of worship. You call out but get no reply, and a shiver runs down your back as you wonder if this is a trap.

Decision A

Do you place the beetle amulet around your neck?

Decision B

What is the composition of the ten soldiers you brought into the village with you? Is it ten Warriors, ten Dwarves, ten Elven Archers, ten Knights, or a mix of five of one type and five of another type?

Decision C

If you wish to call out again, turn to Section 261.

If you would rather order your soldiers to draw their weapons, turn to Section 86.

Adventure Sheet posted:

Personal Attributes

Name = Bob the Bold
Skill = 10/10
Stamina = 15/19 :siren:
Luck = 8/11

Wealth

Gold Pieces = 720

Inventory

Beetle Amulet :siren:

Soldiers

Warriors - 110
Dwarves - 50
Elven Archers - 50
Knights - 20

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 17, 2014

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It just wouldn't be a Fighting Fantasy without pointless dickish punishment for no reason at all!

Anyway amulet because gently caress it yolo

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
A: This is likely to be a huge screwover, but let's wear the thing anyway.

B: Chances are that Hill Men will either love or hate Dwarves... so let's have ten dwarves.

C: We come in peace!

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
A: Wear it - it's probably a trap, so let's spring it now and find out what it does.

B: Five elves and five dwarves, we're a multicutural hero-guy.

C: Draw weapons. No harm in being prepared (ha, it's Fighting Fantasy, who am I kidding).

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Need a tie-breaker vote on whether to call out again or to draw weapons.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Call out. I mean it's not like they could possibly ambush us in such a way that the difference between drawing our swords now or later would be a substantial difference, right? That would just be silly. :shepicide:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Section 167 posted:

If you wish to call out again, turn to Section 261.

If you would rather order your soldiers to draw their weapons, turn to Section 86.

Section 261 posted:

Once again you call out, saying that you have come in peace and wish to hire men for your army to fight Agglax. Suddenly, a sinewy-looking man with long hair and dressed in animal skins jumps down from the roof of one of the huts, landing about ten yards in front of you.

"I am Vine, leader of Hill Men. We wish to join your army, but we no want gold. You, prove to us that you true leader. We wrestle. You win, I and fourteen strong Hill Men serve you. You lose, you leave with zero Hill Men, and your ten soldiers stay behind, serve us for one month."

If you wish to wrestle Vine, turn to Section 307.

If you would rather give the order for weapons to be drawn in order to show Vine that you have no time for his suggestion, turn to Section 86.

Adventure Sheet posted:

Personal Attributes

Name = Bob the Bold
Skill = 10/10
Stamina = 15/19
Luck = 8/11

Wealth

Gold Pieces = 720

Inventory

Beetle Amulet (Equipped) :siren:

Soldiers

Warriors - 110
Dwarves - 50
Elven Archers - 50
Knights - 20

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Wrestle him, this way we could gain more soldiers for our army, whereas the other way would most likely result in losing soldiers for no gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Wrestle him. What could possibly go wrong?

• Locked thread