Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

A misanthrope posted:

what in THE FUKC is e eryone talkin about

We're talking about where to put flowers when they're dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
Finally figured out the show's subtle subtext:

Hyacinth was cucking Richard big-time.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
this person sounds like she might be like peggy hill. i loving hate peggy hill and had to stop watching king of the hill because of her (boooo unpopular opinion boooooooo i know shut up)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I cant believe there is actually a thread about keeping up appearances in gibbus lol

Show is loving terrible btw

Do not watch

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Fun cool fact I live near where it was filmed.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Mind the shitpost, Richard

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
Oh, nice.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A poo poo programme about people not knowing their place.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Entorwellian posted:

Upper class version of Married with Children
The whole point of the show is that she's not upper class.

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Your shipment has arrived.
Hyacinth was cucking Richard with Onzo

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
if it's british and doesn't have stephen fry in it, i really don't give a poo poo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Stex T posted:

if it's british and doesn't have stephen fry in it, i really don't give a poo poo.
he's the gay son.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i liked that ep when she threw a bucket of poo poo lol

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The whole point of the show is that she's not upper class.

quite true. she's obviously lower-middle class and richard, in my estimation, was born into a working class family who climbed up to lower-middle class but he doesn't have the innate breeding hyacinth does. his reluctance to accept his elevated social standing offers an intriguing contrasting visage when compared to hyacinth's obvious denialism towards the financial falling-from-grace of the bucket family name. let me get my notes

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

I was on holiday in thailand once and they had this poo poo on tv over there with subtitles. 'You can have doctor who, but you have to show keeping up appearances as well'.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I'm p sure there's a poster with the name Hyacinth Bucket.

Thought this was gonna be a callout thread.

Just gonna say that Keeping Up Appearances was the crap that PBS always showed when i wanted to be watching Red Dwarf ( or Are You Being Served as middle tier). Getting to stay up til one am was a big deal in the early-mid nineties.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
This show was like the shittiest lowbrow comedy for poors and grandparents btw, I don't know why Americans even know this exists, we're only supposed to export the good stuff

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Beige posted:

quite true. she's obviously lower-middle class and richard, in my estimation, was born into a working class family who climbed up to lower-middle class but he doesn't have the innate breeding hyacinth does. his reluctance to accept his elevated social standing offers an intriguing contrasting visage when compared to hyacinth's obvious denialism towards the financial falling-from-grace of the bucket family name. let me get my notes
it's a commentary on the decline of the british empire and the rise of the colonies

Cum Galleon
Oct 16, 2004

Bolian Blues posted:

This show was like the shittiest lowbrow comedy for poors and grandparents btw, I don't know why Americans even know this exists, we're only supposed to export the good stuff

Do you remember 'Hardware'? that poo poo thing with Martin Freeman and Reg from corrie? I've met more people that like that (2) than like keeping up appearances (0).

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

it's a commentary on the decline of the british empire and the rise of the colonies

this guy gets it

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i gotta tell you guys this show sounds worse and worse the more i read your posts

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

I cant believe there is actually a thread about keeping up appearances in gibbus lol

Show is loving terrible btw

Do not watch

I fukken hate British TV. Dr Who is garbage trash for idiots, Sherlock is dumb show about a gay sperg where the boring episodes are literally 1.5 boring hours long.

But Keeping Up Appearances and Father Ted were great.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Iron lady was a legit good movie.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
I like that one where she's having some dignitary over for dinner and then her low rent sisters show up and she does all that slapstick stuff just to prevent the dignitary who is actually quite down to earth from seeing them and ends up making herself look dumb.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Taint Reaper posted:

Iron lady was a legit good movie.

Figures that Meryl Streep would be in a movie that portrays Margaret Thatcher in a positive light, given that they're both a couple of right wingers.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Good Neighbors was a much better show.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Doc Block posted:

Figures that Meryl Streep would be in a movie that portrays Margaret Thatcher in a positive light, given that they're both a couple of right wingers.

margaret thatcher was literally evil

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Are You Being Served is pretty good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bolian Blues posted:

my grandmother loved this and mr bean

she was from england and told me that way too many of the expatriates she knew were at least as shrill and nitpicky and stuck-up as hyacinth

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

oh andy richter's in it. nice.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Cum Galleon posted:

Do you remember 'Hardware'? that poo poo thing with Martin Freeman and Reg from corrie? I've met more people that like that (2) than like keeping up appearances (0).

Holy poo poo, in my memory I'd conflated Ricky Gervais' fake sitcom from Extras with this and totally forgot it was an actual real thing. Martin Freeman should not have been able to recover from that as well as he has.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
When 'Baroness' Thatcher died, there was a campaign to get "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" to no.1 in the charts in her memory. Missed ... drat!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ts-8572547.html

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

ok let me ask yall a question: in a world where you can watch pretty much any show ever created by pressing a few keys, why should people watch this?

because, i gotta tell you, show sounds boring and obnoxious (almost as boring and obnoxious as me and etc.)

bullet point it for me

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

- People always say her name like "bucket" and it pisses the lady off
- People fall into hedges a lot
- Onslow is easy to identify with for many of us
- Slutty sister
- hilarious senile dad

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

beejay posted:

- People always say her name like "bucket" and it pisses the lady off
- People fall into hedges a lot
- Onslow is easy to identify with for many of us
- Slutty sister

hmmm i admit the hedge falling gag intrigues me

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Chef was good

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

You can watch this clip and it pretty much is the "best of"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu2s1E16RgM

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

beejay posted:

You can watch this clip and it pretty much is the "best of"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu2s1E16RgM

lol bitch gets owned

dog owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

A misanthrope posted:

bullet point it for me

The description I gave above is literally the plot of every single episode, literally, there is not one exception. I mean it might be lunch instead of dinner and it might be at church instead of at her house but every single episode follows that exact format.

• Locked thread