Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think this adaptation is great. The first episode or two was a bit slow, I think, but it's picked up a lot and I'm enjoying a lot of these scenes more than I did while reading the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

Are you sure you've got the right thread for this?

This is the Tanuki Gekkan Tanuki-kun thread, right?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

DoubleDonut posted:

Yeah, I think this adaptation is great. The first episode or two was a bit slow, I think, but it's picked up a lot and I'm enjoying a lot of these scenes more than I did while reading the manga.

It helps that the translation is understandable this time. :v: One thing I like about this adaption is all the extra touches it adds that aren't in the manga: ex. the last part in episode 6 where Nozaki is asking for Lorelai's recordings.

In my opinion, it kinda gives off a feeling that the producers read and loved the original series.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Potsticker posted:

This is the Tanuki Gekkan Tanuki-kun thread, right?

It is, which is why I don't get why you're talking about platypuses.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

It is, which is why I don't get why you're talking about platypuses.

The point of the story is that the mascot character in Sabagebu is exactly the type of thing that Nozaki is talking about with its story about tanuki. Was it that unclear?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Potsticker posted:

The point of the story is that the mascot character in Sabagebu is exactly the type of thing that Nozaki is talking about with its story about tanuki. Was it that unclear?

Part of one episode of Sabagebu is actually devoted to Momoka not realizing that Platty has been at her house since episode 1 and then trying to figure out if he's really a platypus so she can get him deported back to Australia.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Nondevor posted:

It helps that the translation is understandable this time. :v: One thing I like about this adaption is all the extra touches it adds that aren't in the manga: ex. the last part in episode 6 where Nozaki is asking for Lorelai's recordings.

In my opinion, it kinda gives off a feeling that the producers read and loved the original series.

It's actually in the manga as an Omake. There was someone translating those on /a/ and they were pretty great.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Gekkan Shoujo has a more standard japanese style of weird-man/straight-man humour, it's just done well and they constantly switch up who is who and play around with gender stereotypes.

Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxy0c0o7lsE

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Should have sent a poet.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Phobophilia posted:

Gekkan Shoujo has a more standard japanese style of weird-man/straight-man humour, it's just done well and they constantly switch up who is who and play around with gender stereotypes.

Like so:

Oh my god.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phobophilia posted:

Like so:

What… I don't… is this… :psyduck:

:lol:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Like so:

This is really fun and that bike at the end was amazing. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That bike at the end. :allears:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Phobophilia posted:

Like so:

I have no words, but just... :allears:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So how has Maeno not been fired yet? Bribery? Blackmail? Personal popularity with the magazine's target demographic?

Also, it was a crime that Nozaki was trying to think like Mamiko and yet not once did he ask Mikorin for help.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
A new chapter of Nozaki-kun is out! It's not translated yet, but you can read the recent chapter for free on Ganga Online until the next chapter is out.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.
I'm on episode 5 of Nozaki-kun and I'm enjoying a lot more than Sabagebu. Maybe it's because the characters aren't complete jerks.

The Sandman posted:

So how has Maeno not been fired yet? Bribery? Blackmail? Personal popularity with the magazine's target demographic?
The person in charge of the magazine is actually a Tanuki and would like to see more Tanuki in romance manga, of course :colbert:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Compendium posted:

A new chapter of Nozaki-kun is out! It's not translated yet, but you can read the recent chapter for free on Ganga Online until the next chapter is out.

New chapter here.

With new character Seo's??? brother. Who's just as oblivious as she is. So gotta be Seo's brother.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Dante Logos posted:

New chapter here.

With new character Seo's??? brother. Who's just as oblivious as she is. So gotta be Seo's brother.

The tanuki keep evolving...

I think both Ken and Maeno would approve of the cat one - it has both salmon and tanuki! As for the new guy, yes he's Seo's brother. Look at his nametag and how he mentions Seo using Sakura as a gofer.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh God the cat-eared tanuki had me howling. Glad I'm the only one home right now.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh man, I wasn't expecting the return of the Yo, Ribbons! chick.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Is it possible? We've been introduced to a bigger dope than Waka??

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011

serebralassazin posted:

Episode was comedy gold. Rooftop scene was amazing.
I think the best part was that Waka was all fired up to challenge Seo by throwing a glove at her, but ended up politely handing her a pair of mittens.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Episode 7 is up. I'm really glad we got to the modeling scene - it's one of my favorite bits in the manga.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I really like the little reminders that Sakura is also an artist, albeit a completely different style.

This show is so drat good. I've held off on reading the manga so far, but I just know I'm going to end up binge reading it when the season is over.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Episode 7 is up. I'm really glad we got to the modeling scene - it's one of my favorite bits in the manga.
It's not hard to see why. Mikorin wrapped it up beautifully at the end with his great way with words.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yeah, I like that we get to see some of everybody's talents (Sakura as an artist, Kashima acting, etc.). Even Nozaki scrapes by because of all the proofreading he gets.

Except Mikoshiba "I only have bishoujo figures :negative:" Mikoto. The art club segment was hilarious.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Mikorin is a big loving loser baby, oh my god. "Don't leave me here! It's lonely!" :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god. The NTR enthusiast pose killed me.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only musician here, but am I the only one who feels like busting out a jam on your instrument of choice every time that opening starts playing? :dance:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Wark Say posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only musician here, but am I the only one who feels like busting out a jam on your instrument of choice every time that opening starts playing? :dance:

I'm not a musician, but I still take out my air bass.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

unpronounceable posted:

I'm not a musician, but I still take out my air bass.

And then immediately pull a Mikorin afterwards out of shame, yes?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And then immediately pull a Mikorin afterwards out of shame, yes?

No, that's after committing imaginary acts of violence against an imaginary tanuki.

On a side note, I have to say that despite my initial misgivings about the anime putting a bit more of a romance spin on the series, I think it's handled it really well. Seo and Waka's rooftop scene was magical, and I end up wanting to cheer on Chiyo despite knowing how comically hopeless her situation is. Next episode looks like it will have more Hori and Kashima, so I'm excited for it as well.

Poor Mikorin still has nobody, though. There is no happy ending for the biggest shoujo protagonist in the show.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Oh god, everything after Mikoshiba is spotted in his natural environment was gold. Poor Chiyo. You're stuck in a gag manga.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

I'm really surprised how amazing watching this continues to be, even though I already know how horribly every situation is going to go.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Poor Mikorin still has nobody, though. There is no happy ending for the biggest shoujo protagonist in the show.

He's fine, he has his bishoujo figurines.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So, the chinese scan group put up a new chapter and I think you guys really need to see this: http://www.1kkk.com/sp4-172707-p2/#ipg1

:toot: They look like they'd make great avatars for here as well! :toot:

EDIT: scan, not sub

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 21, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Those are pretty fabulous. I know the author made individual icons of the characters, but it's kinda hilarious that the tanuki icons outnumber them.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Potsticker posted:

So, the chinese sub group put up a new chapter and I think you guys really need to see this: http://www.1kkk.com/sp4-172707-p2/#ipg1

:toot: They look like they'd make great avatars for here as well! :toot:

Oh my god I can't believe there's even an avatar for Ponsuke, the murdered tanuki.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Compendium posted:

Oh my god I can't believe there's even an avatar for Ponsuke, the murdered tanuki.

Hell yeah new avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Candy Dawn posted:

Hell yeah new avatar.

Very nice!