Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Guys, did you ever stop and think that maybe we're the ones who are weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I never stop and think about anything :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

InterFaced posted:

Guys, did you ever stop and think that maybe we're the ones who are weird?
But my name isn't Al... :confused:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Al is a nice guy, giving Margaret Cho a little charity gig in the Tacky vid.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Is this where I express my love for this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Eegah! posted:

Is this where I express my love for this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Ow1nlafOg

I wish I was Weird Al Yankovic

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jai Guru Dave posted:

Weird Al is a national treasure.

He belongs to humanity

Bacicot
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My first concert, saw Al on the Stupid Tour '84. Man, I wish I still had that t-shirt. I have at least 4 of his early albums on vinyl. I am posting this on the internet because Al is an outstanding human being. I am sorry I acted like I didn't really like him when I was a teenager.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Best part of the Word Crimes video is when they show Windows 95.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I want to like this album but I can't stand the the originals he's parodying and it ruins it for me. :(

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I like how Weird Al pops up every 5 years or so, unleashes himself on a new generation of kids who think "Wow, who is this weird al guy he is awesome!" not realizing they aren't the first and wont be the last before disappearing again.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Weird Al is incredible and awesome, and if he decides to just go the "EP/digital release every 9-12 months" route the world will be a better place for hearing from him more often.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

ethanol posted:

I'm going to go with al on this one and agree with the whole 'gently caress off pharrel williams' thing in the air right now
If you think his music is intended to be mean spirited, I'm afraid you don't "get" Weird Al.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
"Word Crimes" is brilliant because just from looking at the title you think it's gonna be all SJW-ey, but it turns out to be fun and silly.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnTocdD7sk

I never really got into Weird Al all that much, but I still love this one.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
discovering and sharing weird al is the only way I became popular in 6th grade

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Irradiation posted:

I want to like this album but I can't stand the the originals he's parodying and it ruins it for me. :(

Part of being an Al fan is singing along to songs when you wouldn't be caught dead listening to the originals. Give in, you know you want to :)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There are sooo many older songs that I know the Weird Al version way better.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
ITT people who can't enjoy pop music until some nerd sings it with new lyrics. Like dudes who only listen to rap via the medium of acoustic covers.

How many of you mocked McCauley Culkin's great pizza-themed Velvet Underground covers band?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 16, 2014

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hey man sometimes the packaging makes all the difference when it comes to appreciating something.

Tacos? Awesome.
Tacos served on a plate constructed from and smeared with human waste? Considerably less awesome.

Thus ends my "Why Weird Al Makes Pop Music Palatable" metaphor.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
In other words made by somebody who isn't a nasally nerd makes you unconfortable.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Well that went in an unexpected direction

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Brickwall limited, overly sanitised, overengineered to appeal to as many people as possible songs performed by talentless husks marketed as uber humans makes me uncomfortable. Weird Al can actually play instruments without a team of producers pulling the strings. Nasally nerd or not I'd hang with Al any day over whatever flavour of the month pop star/let currently dominates the commercial music scene.

Weird Al parodies are like making artistic mosaics out of landfill.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

Brickwall limited, overly sanitised, overengineered to appeal to as many people as possible songs performed by talentless husks marketed as uber humans makes me uncomfortable. Weird Al can actually play instruments without a team of producers pulling the strings. Nasally nerd or not I'd hang with Al any day over whatever flavour of the month pop star/let currently dominates the commercial music scene.

Weird Al parodies are like making artistic mosaics out of landfill.

I am going to knock your lunch tray out of your hands.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Cesar Cedeno posted:

lol serious post in gibbis in a weird al thread:

All commonly used/spoken languages don't deteriorate, they change over time, everything changes, the grammar, spelling, syntax, and even meanings of the words themselves shift slowly over generations until eventually they look little like what they were years ago. The idea of fundamentally fixed and eternal rules of grammar is loving stupid, pointless, and also has never really existed in the long term. This seems to only bother budding autists though, thankfully.

You can go back and find this thousands of years ago, Romans living during the late Empire could barely understand Latin from the early Republic period. And doubtless some rear end in a top hat like Cicero, in the middle there, picked up on some shifts in the sand and "decried the degeneration of the language." to which anyone cool would respond by telling him to gently caress off and possibly nailing his hands to a door.

tl;dr: ANARCHY! pretty much only works in language Weird Al is still funny, song is still good.
One of the classes I teach is linguistics (debatable singular there) and agree with the descriptive approach, but I still found the song/video funny, if for no other than I'm beginning to suspect my students are writing their papers on their phones for all the textspeak they turn in. Plus Weird Al pretty much always gets a pass from me.
I am a woman and I for real want that outfit. Get a girly belt on that thing to give it a waistline and boom - next night out ensemble.

For Weird Al originals, I'm really fond of Stop Forwarding that Crap to Me. It ventures into Jim Steinman territory.

Taliaquin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 16, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I sometimes have to look up what the song is parodying. But I got Word Crimes, I knew that one. I did not know whatever Tacky was referencing though. I also still don't know. I also think I won't like the original, whatever it is.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Doppelganger posted:

"Word Crimes" is brilliant because just from looking at the title you think it's gonna be all SJW-ey, but it turns out to be fun and silly.

Yeah I can see how that title might be initially confusing if you're an idiot.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Doppelganger posted:

Yes that's exactly what I would have expected from a Weird Al song.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

N. Senada posted:

I sometimes have to look up what the song is parodying. But I got Word Crimes, I knew that one. I did not know whatever Tacky was referencing though. I also still don't know. I also think I won't like the original, whatever it is.

Pharrell's "Happy." Pharrell's hat may as well have been in the video; it would suit the song quite well.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

N. Senada posted:

im guessing you don't live in the U.S. or have never visited a retail store then lol

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Do not mistake what I said for as a claim of accomplishment.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

N. Senada posted:

Do not mistake what I said for as a claim of accomplishment.
If it helps, the song is so repetitive and snippets of it are played so often that, since I've never sat down to deliberately listen to it, I'm not actually sure if I've heard the whole thing in one go before. (Not saying I hate it. I think it's a cute song and I'm normally pretty up to date on pop culture but I've somehow managed to miss longterm exposure to this one.)

vv Going to be me with "Fancy." I haven't actually heard that before either. Oh god, am I getting old?

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
?

Ben Murphy fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 20, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

N. Senada posted:

"Tacky" is another one, much like "Eat It" and "Fat", where Al's version is significantly better than the original.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Just picked up the new album because of the hype-machine that is this thread. The song Sports Song is really fun, as is almost all of the songs on this thing.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I want to get the vinyl version because that seems funny as poo poo to own.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

amish paradise was voted class song my senior year of high school. i'm not even sure how that happened, but it did

god, that happened at my school too

guess that's what you get when you have a school full of engineering nerds and tell them to pick a song

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

New video for "Foil" is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

Starts a little weak but finishes strong

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

Mons Hubris posted:

I was wondering where the second verse could go since the first one seemed to cover everything. That was unexpected.

.... :neckbeard:

O/T I wish my curls were as tight as his. He needs to do a hair tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mons Hubris posted:

Haha, what a great twist there in the middle.

Also, is that Patton Oswalt as the director?

• Locked thread