Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Yeah, but the cost of living there restricts you to owning a Geo Metro. :saddowns:

That's not true, there are ton of audis and GTRs out there. All you have to do is get a job at your rich chinese parents business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's the big :siren: Annual show and Reunion at Pioneer Acres :siren: just outside Irricana this weekend!

I will be there all weekend working sweating my rear end off in the blacksmith shop, and defending my "Slowest Tractor" title from last year.

Tuned up the beast with grease in all the fittings and fresh water for the battery cells. Never filled them in 5+ years, they were only down a tiny little bit. Best batteries ever.

Come on out and visit if you like: http://www.pioneeracres.ab.ca/

I'd suggest coming for the Parade of Power in the afternoon. When they start those big old century+ old tractors up, it sounds like the world is coming to an end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jamal posted:

I thought xmen was pretty decent, especially compared to the last few. Plus it was at the cheap theatre so it was like $10 with snacks. I would go see guardians.

The movie mill is pretty good for a cheap theater. I will probably see guardians there too when it makes it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sometimes I miss living in Alberta. Not often, but sometimes. This thread makes me want to visit more often and go drinking in random shithole AB towns (anybody ever gotten wasted in Drumheller? Pincher Creek? Black Diamond? I got a good buzz on drinking Paralyzers mixed by a 16-year-old in WestLock last year).

Another Saskatchaweiner checking in. We can see the fires set by drunken Newfies in Fort McNowhere on a clear day, thanks to the endless flat empty flat boring flat cold flat windy wasteland in all directions.

And I have a pic from Mr. Gulinao, too.

EDIT: I tried to attach the pic, did it work?

I don't think it worked. Imgur to the rescue:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 9, 2014

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
We take pride in our obnoxious big drunken fires. Funny thing is, I'm probably going to end up working in Alberta within the next year or so. :bandwagon:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SlimManFat posted:

We take pride in our obnoxious big drunken fires. Funny thing is, I'm probably going to end up working in Alberta within the next year or so. :bandwagon:

I might end up there in the next couple of years. My profession makes 30% more there.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So apparently there was a minor earthquake out by Rocky Mountain House today - might come as a surprise to people that there are areas of the province that have more than a minimal earthquake risk.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Any of you guys into off roading or quadding? I live north of Edmonton and it's all there really is to do here.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Samu posted:

Any of you guys into off roading or quadding? I live north of Edmonton and it's all there really is to do here.

I've got a JK wrangler on Grabber AT2s that I have zero issues with getting covered in mud. I'm in St Albert. Found a really fun trail South of Stony a few weeks ago.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Some pics from Wetaskiwin this summer.

Back when truck names in this province were a bit less PC:

New favourite hood ornament:

Let's put an LS in that:

Marvels of Canadian design:

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
My Mazdaspeed3 and I would love to drive 10 minutes to Namao for winter-x!

I love/hate this god forsaken arctic wasteland.

In regards to the Super Duty with the Union Jack, my friend moved her from England with dreams of oil money, buying a pickup truck and marrying an Alberta girl so he can stay - he did all three before his work Visa expired. Living the dream.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
This is how we get down in Alberta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ai0euhoKfM

Shoota_McG fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 10, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Reynolds Museum is really something else. I haven't been in a really long time; maybe I should go this year.

Also check out the new car museum section at Heritage Park; it's surprisingly lovely. They have stuff like front-wheel drive Cords from the 20s.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Samu posted:

it's all there really is to do here.

I totally missed this the first time. I've got a post in the works for this thread that proves this 100% false.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Did anyone check out Rock'n August in St Albert this weekend? I skipped on Friday because of the weather, went to the show & shine on Saturday, but I had to work til 4, so the majority of vehicles had already left.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about this beast:

Chevrolet Chevy II SS by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

It sounded as mean and as loud as it looks

Didn't get too many pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/tylerhuestis/sets/72157645908258138

An error occurred during validation.
This video does not exist.
Sorry about that.

You're as terrible as your car is ugly.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
In Alberta we post broken links!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Got to fulfill a couple custom orders while in the blacksmith shop this year. We always try to do odd jobs for folks around the park, help keeps things in theme I guess. Weirdly enough they almost always end up talking to me first, but I don't mind.

First up was a couple of bale hooks, lady saw the example one (kinda rusty with the nicely forge-welded handle) and wanted one like it, and a longer one. So I hammered those up for her, using a less technical handle joint, should be just as strong though. Also, I must have made about 12 of those fire pokers, unfortunately I didn't sell any this year though.

Second was this pit saw handle, it had broken in the middle and the owner wanted us to forge weld it back together. I can't forge weld for poo poo, but I helped out a guy who can. This thing's been welded 4-5 times over its life, and it has to be over 100 years old, made by some professional blacksmith back in the day. Fun project, our weld was in the middle-ish, you can kind of make out a joint there.

The slow races were a blast as last year, Saturday morning we had to harrow the road in front of the stage, you can see the mud here after we finished.

They were desperate for a tractor that could be started quickly, because the road was in bad shape. They asked me to help because it takes approximately half a second to "start" an electric tractor. I pulled this harrow with the event organizer on the back.

Another guy was driving with this one, and the bigger harrow pictured above. Best part? Half way through he ran out of gas and I had to finish the job. Still got "HOW LONG CAN THAT THING RUN" questions all weekend :coal:

Sunday morning, I 'won' the slow race for the second year in a row.

:siren: New truck for SSSwitch found. :siren:

An Eddie Bauer version half-ton? Huh, who knew.

Lovin this one.

I think the owner used this to tow his RV to the park. Way to go old timer.

I see fields of green.

Red roses too.

Olivers and Whites, for me and you.

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

God drat I love August.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Are you faster than the electric go-karts?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

:siren: New truck for SSSwitch found. :siren:

Is that a unicorn hood ornament?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

neckbeard posted:

Did anyone check out Rock'n August in St Albert this weekend? I skipped on Friday because of the weather, went to the show & shine on Saturday, but I had to work til 4, so the majority of vehicles had already left.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about this beast:

Chevrolet Chevy II SS by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Now if only we could get the modern SS in Canada. :smith:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

Is that a unicorn hood ornament?

poo poo, maybe it is. Hadn't even noticed there was a hood ornament. I looked at my higher res image and it looks sorta like a dude with one of those horse heads masks on :stonk:

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Has rolling coal gone out of style this year? There's still lots of lifted pickups around here in Medicine Hat but I haven't seen a black cloud in months.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I see it almost daily in Lethbridge, shocked you don't in the Hat since it's even more inbred there.

Other Alberta news, some rich Calgary gently caress made Yahoo news for leaving his Carerra GT unloved for a very long time in a high rise garage.

https://ca.autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/-440-000-porsche-carrera-gt-sits-neglected-in-a-canadian-parking-garage-184903039.html

You can tell it is Calgary by the Lincoln Mark LT parked next to it. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
During the floods, a buddy of mine who lives in an arguably middle-class condo complex downtown told me that there were two 991 turbos that the owners hadn't bothered to get around to removing from the underground parking garage before the bottom three levels flooded.

One of them started out on P5 and ended up scraping on the ceiling of P3.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 13, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

aehiilrs posted:

Has rolling coal gone out of style this year? There's still lots of lifted pickups around here in Medicine Hat but I haven't seen a black cloud in months.

Sorta. Between the EPA cracking down on poo poo and someone, somehow, starting a rumor in the retard bro truck community that only THE GAYS roll coal and keep their tow mirrors flipped out to indicate they'd like to meet in a public restroom, it's gone down quite a bit.

I'm not sure I like the reasons they're cutting back on it, but I am OK with the results.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

someone, somehow, starting a rumor in the retard bro truck community that only THE GAYS roll coal and keep their tow mirrors flipped out to indicate they'd like to meet in a public restroom, it's gone down quite a bit.
This is the funniest and most depressing thing I have ever heard.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is the funniest and most depressing thing I have ever heard.

Whoever spread that rumour is a hero

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
That's actually awesome.

I'm going to a mud bog near Lac La Biche this weekend, and reaching peak Albertan. Mud bogs and tractor pulls are awesome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coal roaling trucks don't last long. It doesn't take many blown $2000 turbos or $10,000 engines for guys to realize it's dumb.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Just a block south of me in North Edmonton I actually did see a truck with a 780 coal rollers decal on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kastein posted:

someone, somehow, starting a rumor in the retard bro truck community that only THE GAYS roll coal and keep their tow mirrors flipped out to indicate they'd like to meet in a public restroom, it's gone down quite a bit.

I'm not sure I like the reasons they're cutting back on it, but I am OK with the results.

haha holy poo poo. It's so crazy and the big diesels are so obviously substitutes for insecure manhood I could believe it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Storms coming in from the east again, who's ready for more floods!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Storms coming in from the east again, who's ready for more floods!

I was out golfing with my sister and cousin at buffalo run last night during a lightning storm. I was not afraid :pcgaming:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I found my helmet when I was cleaning the Festiva out, and since then I've developed the uncontrollable urge to go slay some cones in my clumsy station wagon. There's still a bunch of CSCC AutoX events up, would anyone be up for that?

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

Tommychu posted:

So I found my helmet when I was cleaning the Festiva out, and since then I've developed the uncontrollable urge to go slay some cones in my clumsy station wagon. There's still a bunch of CSCC AutoX events up, would anyone be up for that?

ASA Autox on Tues the 26th?

-----

4 days without anyone saying anything??

Anywho...

Obligatory Ian Guliano pics. ;)

-----

After my earlier "engine related tribulations" I was somewhat annoyed when at the latest autox winding up the RPM's and dropping the clutch resulted in no forward movement (as opposed to the usual smokey launch) and just some bad noises.

It got a ride home on the hook, all the while thinking the worst that I'd blown up my diff...

So it got parked in my garage, next to a friends spun bearing'd Miata

_After_ I drained the diff, and it didn't come out chunky enough I turned the rear wheel trying to make it "make a noise"... At which point I watched the outer CV on the drivers side fold itself up.

Just an axle, I can live with that.

I guess the driving/wrenching ratio had gotten too good for my own karmic sake.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Dedicated Alberta AI fans might notice that 91 Miata with the blown up engine made a cameo appearance in my garage last year.

We're hoping to get Slung Blade's hot rod to at least the last CSCC event at some point this year if we can finish it in time.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I think we can get it there under its own power with the 318 poly and the automatic transmission.

There's no way that I can get the 440 rebuilt, mounted to a manual and get that swap done in time.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Thread needs change to Burger King livery - soon to be the most powerful monarch in Canada

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
GrantC - I've got plans to be in Leduc tomorrow during the day, so I'll most likely come out and photograph autocross, what time is at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

neckbeard posted:

GrantC - I've got plans to be in Leduc tomorrow during the day, so I'll most likely come out and photograph autocross, what time is at?

Registration opens @ ~1645

Closes @ 1745, sharp.

Drivers meeting 1800-ish, and first runs thereafter.