Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Where the gently caress is that? 36th street north of McKnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
BMW, BMW, dropout Porsche.. Yeah that looks like any ditch in the middle of October. Bodyshop Christmas came early.

The base model commuter civic and luxury SUVs must have already gotten pulled out by the time you got there.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 11, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

Not this weekend, but i hope you weren't planning on leaving your house between november september and let's say....may.

edit:

I work from home, so I'm good. The wife may have a worse time though :P
Ah well, AWD and snow tires on the Venza, its really loving good on bad roads. Just need to get snows for my truck for when its really lovely out, then she could take it instead.
4 goddamn degrees, raining, and blowing like a mother-fucker out. gently caress this summer hard. Man.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Seat Safety Switch posted:

BMW, BMW, dropout Porsche.. Yeah that looks like any ditch in the middle of October. Bodyshop Christmas came early.

The base model commuter civic and luxury SUVs must have already gotten pulled out by the time you got there.

In Ontario its always the loving GMC Jimmy/Envoy. Ditches full of those pieces of poo poo.

This is on top of the usual pickup trucks of various sizes that appear to have hit the ditch at mach 2 sideways.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Sorry to derail lovely Calgary weather/driver chat, but I have a question for all my fellow Alberta dwellers.

I'm looking to find a subaru wrx (preferably STI because 6 speed) as a side project/winter beater because apparently I have to have vehicles in 2 different sides of the province. Is there a special place where I can look for a decently priced one of these without having to pay 25,000 for a used one? Auctions? I'm finding that Autotrader and Kijiji have some really high prices for like 8-9 year old cars. I'm not really picky as far as year, I've just had a nerd boner for an STI for as long as I can remember and have finally decided I'm going to try to get one and work on it (ruin it) myself.

I "commute" from Calgary to 30 minutes east of Dawson Creek a couple times a month with my newer car, so basically I'd be able to pick it up from anywhere in AB between there, I'm just having trouble on where to find something that the PO doesn't think has magically kept 80% of its value over 10 years of Alberta winters.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're looking at the wrong time of the year, but 04-05 STI prices are just now starting to collapse.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Let's be mad at Shoota_McG for not buying this from his co-worker who was selling it

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Any of you guys going out to Banff tomorrow for the Gullwing convention and car show?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

You're looking at the wrong time of the year, but 04-05 STI prices are just now starting to collapse.

Thanks for the info, I'm really lost when it comes to the used Subaru market. Any advice on the best places to look once the prices start collapsing?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Holy crap, an Alberta thread! I'm in Edmonton, and drive an '07 Mini... which I have to replace because now I have a kid. I've been looking at a few German (and Swedish) smallish sedans, but this leads me to a couple of questions:

1) The Mini wouldn't start below -25°C, until I got an aftermarket oil pan heater put on it. Bastards told me the unheated oil was good until -50 but I'm betting it doesn't exactly get that cold in Bavaria. I'm a little apprehensive about buying another vehicle without some kind of heater, like most of the Germans - does anyone have stories of functional 3-series, A4s, or S60s in -40 weather?

2) Any recommendations on service/repair shops that work with German (or Swedish) cars? Because man, gently caress dealing with the dealership any more than is necessary.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

Holy crap, an Alberta thread! I'm in Edmonton, and drive an '07 Mini... which I have to replace because now I have a kid. I've been looking at a few German (and Swedish) smallish sedans, but this leads me to a couple of questions:

1) The Mini wouldn't start below -25°C, until I got an aftermarket oil pan heater put on it. Bastards told me the unheated oil was good until -50 but I'm betting it doesn't exactly get that cold in Bavaria. I'm a little apprehensive about buying another vehicle without some kind of heater, like most of the Germans - does anyone have stories of functional 3-series, A4s, or S60s in -40 weather?

2) Any recommendations on service/repair shops that work with German (or Swedish) cars? Because man, gently caress dealing with the dealership any more than is necessary.

1) My E46 started and ran just fine at -36 last year, parked outside and not plugged in or anything. If your car didn't start, my guess is a weak battery.

2) I'll talk to my indie BMW/Euro car shop here in Calgary to see if they have any recommendations up in Edmonton.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Albino Squirrel posted:

I never had a problem starting my BMW 1996 328is, plugged in or not. 35 degrees below zero (standing air temperature, none of this "windchill" BS) was the coldest I ever drove that car in, it started no problem though it helps to move the gear shift through the full range of gears with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor just after you start it - gear oil gets gooey at those temperatures. Presumably newer 3-series are even better, as long as the battery is in good shape. Any car that has trouble starting in the cold I'd say replace the battery, it makes a huge difference.

Mine had a block heater from the factory as far as I can tell, where did you buy your Mini that it didn't have one? When I lived in Victoria I got the occassional weird look when I talked about plugging in a car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hell, even my 540 started up no problem in -40.

Although the drivers door would freeze open until you locked it, at which point the lock would freeze shut. Not sure if that's germanys fault or albertas.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ExecuDork posted:

I never had a problem starting my BMW 1996 328is, plugged in or not. 35 degrees below zero (standing air temperature, none of this "windchill" BS) was the coldest I ever drove that car in, it started no problem though it helps to move the gear shift through the full range of gears with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor just after you start it - gear oil gets gooey at those temperatures. Presumably newer 3-series are even better, as long as the battery is in good shape. Any car that has trouble starting in the cold I'd say replace the battery, it makes a huge difference.

Mine had a block heater from the factory as far as I can tell, where did you buy your Mini that it didn't have one? When I lived in Victoria I got the occassional weird look when I talked about plugging in a car.
I bought mine at Edmonton BMW - as near as I can tell, ze Germans stopped putting block heaters in anything around 2005-ish. And they say you *can't* put a block heater in, because of a dual-point thermostat something something argle bargle. My battery's already been replaced, but it still seems to have difficulty with charging in the winter sometimes. Nothing like a combination of German cost and English electrical systems!

Speaking of the joys of BMW dealerships... I dropped into Bavaria BMW a couple of weeks ago and asked to take a look at the 328d. I was dressed casually and I look younger than I am, but I'm not exactly a hobo walking in off the street. The sales guy takes me out in a 328 for about 5 minutes, and then we head back to the dealership because 'it's the Saturday of a long weekend and we don't have that many testers.' Fair enough, my fault for not making an appointment.

I e-mail the guy the next week and ask to book an appointment for a longer test drive on a Saturday morning. He gets back to me saying he could only take me for a longer drive if I was prepared to make a deal that day. I'm not done testing the competition so that's obviously no; he responds saying 'respectfully, we don't have the time, but we could do this at 11 on Monday!'

Oddly enough, zero other dealerships in that category have had a problem with me taking their cars out on a Saturday, for some fairly extended test drives. I can only conclude that the BMW dealership doesn't like money. Pity, it's a beautiful car... but I might have to get the Volvo, which has a) a block heater, and b) a dealership that isn't staffed by morons.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Albino Squirrel posted:

I bought mine at Edmonton BMW - as near as I can tell, ze Germans stopped putting block heaters in anything around 2005-ish. And they say you *can't* put a block heater in, because of a dual-point thermostat something something argle bargle. My battery's already been replaced, but it still seems to have difficulty with charging in the winter sometimes. Nothing like a combination of German cost and English electrical systems!

Ze Bavarians...

Mein 2013 Golf came with a block heater, there's a little outlet for the cord down by the foglight

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a much better idea than having a cord bouncing around in your engine bay all year round. Why doesn't everyone do that??

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

That's a much better idea than having a cord bouncing around in your engine bay all year round. Why doesn't everyone do that??

Lose the cover flap, get gunk in there, done. Cord comes out too easily, etc. I mean, its kind of cool, but with how much salt is used around Ontario that thing would be eaten in a year, tops.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Trucks have had plugs like that since Christ was a cowboy, except with a regular male 110 plug behind the flap instead of some proprietary BS. It's usually set onto the panel under the driver's door too, so you're less likely to forget to unplug it and drag your extension cord down the road looking like a moron.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Tommychu posted:

Trucks have had plugs like that since Christ was a cowboy, except with a regular male 110 plug behind the flap instead of some proprietary BS. It's usually set onto the panel under the driver's door too, so you're less likely to forget to unplug it and drag your extension cord down the road looking like a moron.

But without the proprietary connector, how else are Ze Germans going to sell you their $350 extension cord?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Heated underground parking. :smugdog:

No personal garage. :smith:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tommychu posted:

We've got those on the fire trucks, except they have an auto-eject solenoid. You hook up keyed 12v to the thing and it blows the plug out as soon as you turn on the batteries.

These. They're like $200 but totally worth it. I squirreled one away off of an old truck that we sold off and will use it if I ever put in a block heater.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is cool as hell. :monocle:

I've got a new 2015 Tacoma coming in the next couple months (company truck) that has these 120V plugs next to the foglight. As a northerner, I find that cool in general but since I have a garage it'll be put inside any night colder than -15C because I'm a suck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

That is cool as hell. :monocle:

I've got a new 2015 Tacoma coming in the next couple months (company truck) that has these 120V plugs next to the foglight. As a northerner, I find that cool in general but since I have a garage it'll be put inside any night colder than -15C because I'm a suck.

Company truck = not your truck = it's basically a rental, HTH. Use the available garage space for something better, like (rolls d20) ...a Baja'd Karmann Ghia.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

gently caress that noise. I like a warm truck in the morning and don't want to scrape the windshield.

Besides, it will be my truck, at least for a short while. Tacoma = stupid resale. Buy it out at the end of the company lease and flip it for easy :10bux:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scraping windows? what are you talking about? it was 27 degrees today.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

I filled two sets of nitriles with sweat this evening.

It was loving gross.

Still, nice to have a couple more nice evenings before the ICE BOUND HELLSCAPE sets in.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Any of you have experience with a hose heater instead of a regular block heater? Or one of those immersion tank circulating deals? I want to up my heating capacity this winter so my car warms up faster. Considered an oil pan heater, but I've heard they carry a fire risk, and I park in a garage at home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Circulating heaters are the cats rear end. Not only do they heat the engine better, your heater will put out warm air immediately and will warm up super fast. Get a good one though.

Powershift posted:

Not today, in winter.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Well played, Alberta. Well played. Skip SK and MB and most of Ontario, then nail us.

http://www.northernnews.ca/2014/09/17/say-it-aint-snow-ontario-communities-get-blast-of-winter-in-final-days-of-summer

Its snowing outside right now - melting when it hits, but, gently caress. The place above is only a few hours away.

I'm not done with summer. I still want to get out in the boat :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Siochain posted:

Well played, Alberta. Well played. Skip SK and MB and most of Ontario, then nail us.

http://www.northernnews.ca/2014/09/17/say-it-aint-snow-ontario-communities-get-blast-of-winter-in-final-days-of-summer

Its snowing outside right now - melting when it hits, but, gently caress. The place above is only a few hours away.

We got it last week. Oh hey look at that, Ontario not giving a single poo poo about what happens in the west until it affects them. :colbert:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

We got it last week. Oh hey look at that, Ontario not giving a single poo poo about what happens in the west until it affects them. :colbert:

Hah, I cared then. And laughed at my in-laws, and now we're getting it :) Also, I'm originally from Manitoba, so I give more shits about the west than this dreary hellhole I live in (but the wifes got a great job here, so, yeah, stuck in Ontario).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

holy shitballs it's hot.

SAVE ME, WINTER.

edit:

Siochain posted:

oh, hey, there, buddy. Didn't see you there.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy poo poo this wind. I love wind but this much is making me worry about the roof of my house !

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

whitecourt got that huge windstorm a few years ago, stripped a lot of land bare, took out a lot of houses. A lot of people were over-insured, and ended up building mansions to replace their trailers.

Like this guy

Maybe you should unbolt your roof, maybe attach a parachute to it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Southern Alberta laughs at northern Alberta's wind problem.

Winds over 90 km/h? That's a day that ends in -y in Lethbridge.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

whitecourt got that huge windstorm a few years ago, stripped a lot of land bare, took out a lot of houses. A lot of people were over-insured, and ended up building mansions to replace their trailers.

Like this guy

Maybe you should unbolt your roof, maybe attach a parachute to it.

A house that is 75% garage space. I like the cut of this guy's jib.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Terrible Robot posted:

That looks a bit small to hold a loft that isn't really itchy. :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alright, which one of you is roaming around Calgary in the wood-paneled Grand Wagoneer? :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Terrible Robot posted:

My inlaws are getting well into senior-hood and moving back to Canada. The just bought a beautiful lot in town and doing a custom build home so they're asking for input since, well, we'll probably be inheriting it in the coming decade(s) if we still live here.

My input: Cat6+ in each room of the house and an oversize heated triple garage with a mezzanine.

They're doing both :dance:

I'll be able to park my stuff there in the winter now since they have 1 car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

My inlaws are getting well into senior-hood and moving back to Canada. The just bought a beautiful lot in town and doing a custom build home so they're asking for input since, well, we'll probably be inheriting it in the coming decade(s) if we still live here.

"Hey, we're moving back to your area, and since we're old and probably we'll die soon, might as well get your opinions on some things for this house that we'll never use but you might!"

That must have been a slightly odd conversation with your inlaws.