Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/14/5898195/archie-dies-saving-gay-best-friend-kevin-keller

quote:

Archie Andrews, a staple of American comics since 1941, will die in Wednesday's issue of Life with Archie. And he'll say goodbye to the series with one last act of heroism: Archie will take a bullet meant for best friend Kevin Keller, the first openly gay character in his comic universe. In doing so, he'll foil an assassination attempt against Keller and, according to the story's creators, give rise to greater understanding and tolerance in his fictional town of Riverdale. The final issue arrives as many Americans continue to work tirelessly on behalf of gay rights and to extend marriage equality across the US.

"He dies selflessly," said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics publisher and co-CEO, speaking to the Associated Press. "He dies in the manner that epitomizes not only the best of Riverdale but the best of all of us." Archie Comics first revealed that Andrews' death would mark the conclusion of Life with Archie back in April. The comic is a flash-forward series that catches up with Archie and his friends long after their high school and college days.

"A character celebrated by fans and gay rights activists"

Kevin Keller was introduced to Riverdale in Veronica issue 202 almost four years ago. That issue proved so popular that Archie Comics needed to order a reprint — the first in its 70-year history. Created by artist Dan Parent, military brat Keller was featured in a four-issue miniseries and went on to headline his own comic. Kevin Keller earned the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Comic Book in 2013, according to Rolling Stone.

But he's also been a regular in Life with Archie; an issue celebrating Keller's marriage was released in 2012. In the storyline, Keller meets his husband at a military hospital while both are active servicemen. "The world of Riverdale has to reflect contemporary culture and to show it is an accepting, diverse place," Parent said at the time. One Million Moms, an anti-gay group, went on to boycott the gay wedding issue. That real-life protest inspired Parent to take things further in the comic and give Kevin Keller his first on-panel kiss last year in a story arc that mocked the right-wing group.

Wednesday's finale finds Keller as a newly elected senator fighting for tighter gun-control laws. The gun epidemic comes to Keller's attention after his husband is shot trying to thwart an in-progress robbery. Archie Comics isn't identifying who the assassin is before readers see it in print, however. The following issue will jump ahead one year and show fans how Archie's friends and Riverdale honor the red-haired comic icon after his heroic death. "Archie is not a superhero like all the rest of the comic book characters," Goldwater told the Associated Press. "If anything, I think his death is more impactful because of that. We hope by showing how something so violent can happen to Archie, that we can — in some way — learn from him."

He will cuck Betty and Veronica for all time in gay heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Don't post news here.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
don't care

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
lol that they basically spoil the whole comic

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Who gives a gently caress about Archie?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Iron Crowned posted:

The Punisher tried to!

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Iron Crowned posted:

eeeeeeeeeeh, stifle yourself edith

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
How many more comic book heroes will fall to mass shootings until we say enough is enough?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Specifically how many more Archies because there's like forty versions of that comic all running since the dawn of mankind.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Specifically how many more Archies because there's like forty versions of that comic all running since the dawn of mankind.
I just wanna see Jughead shack up with Tails.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
just you wait, Archie will come back. just like Superman did.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

who the gently caress even reads archie

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
wtf. how is the Archie market share big enough to support multiple monthly digests including future timelines and a gay spin-off? even people who were children when it still made sense for Archie to be relevant have to be pushing 80. is Archie Comics a money laundering scheme or something?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Gay statists don't want to be blocked from playing pretend house and getting "married" but they want to disarm law-abiding citizens from the right to bear arms. Why am I not surprised? America is going the way of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
who the gently caress reads or ever read archie

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Fishy Joe posted:

who the gently caress reads or ever read archie
the chronically elderly, my ex-wife

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
haha i like to believe peopel are rolling in their graves over this

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
If they were smart, they'd reprint the old Archie comics and aim them at the hipster crowd.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Gay statists don't want to be blocked from playing pretend house and getting "married" but they want to disarm law-abiding citizens from the right to bear arms. Why am I not surprised? America is going the way of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Sad world

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Of due note I always liked Betty compared to Veronica, Veronica is mean.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had one archie comic book when i was little but i liked real books better so i didnt read a lot of comics but who knows maybe if i liked comics growing up id give a gently caress

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

burritolingus posted:

If they were smart, they'd reprint the old Archie comics and aim them at the hipster crowd.

Also this i could see a bunch of bearded 20 somethings wearing sweater vests and reading archie

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

gun murder = social progress

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
There are new Archies? I thought they were from the 50's or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So is the gay guy like the Archie universe equivalent of Harvey Milk or what

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
What if Archie ducks aside at the last minute?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

what does nix mean in this context.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
hell what does nix mean period!!!!

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Frostwerks posted:

what does nix mean in this context.

Don't. Use contextual clues man.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

is nix latin it sounds like its latin

disclaimer: i don't know latin

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
ontday elltay emtay utway otay oday, aggotfay

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Frostwerks posted:

ontday elltay emtay utway otay oday, aggotfay

This is police latin.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Frostwerks posted:

hell what does nix mean period!!!!

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

All are punished

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
is the only purpose of heteros now to sacrifice themselves for perverts, stop the hetero genocide agenda

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
writer attempts to tell story about how violence and hatred harm even those not specifically targeted, shocked to learn half of readerbase (approx. 16 people) blames their favorite fictional character's death on "human being cowards"

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Kevin Keller always looks like he doesn't understand why he's in comic book.
Why can we let him live his dumb gay life in peace.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ive never understood why archie continued publishing after 1960, are there enclaves of pre-Kennedy america out there that i don't know about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.
I bet in the very last panel in the comic is Archie waking up. It was all a dream.

• Locked thread