Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Welcome friends, to another year of football hell. The World Cup is over, Belgium didn't win, belgend's body isn't cold in his grave yet and I'm already here to post the Belgian league thread and shamelessly steal his OP. Waiting until he's back isn't an option because we need to talk about Belgian football RIGHT NOW!!! So, now, the copy-paste I talked about :

~
~
~

Royal Sporting Club Anderlecht aka Sporting aka mauves et blancs/paarswit (purple and white) aka total scum i hate them
~~DEFENDING LEAGUE CHAMPION~~

What did these scrubs accomplish?

Nationwide: This team is basically the juggernaut of Belgian football, they've been League champion for a whopping 33 times. Their longest streak is five wins from 63-64 to 67-68. They haven't been relegated since 1935. They've won the Belgian Cup 9 times, their longest streak being four wins from 71-72 to 75-76. Anderlecht have won the Supercup 11 times, always as League champion.

Anderlecht are one of the three clubs who won the Belgian League Cup. They won the last edition in 2001. They've won two editions of the Bruges Matins, beating Club Brugge twice.

International: Anderlecht are the most succesful Belgian team in Europe, winning:

-The European Cup Winners' Cup twice by beating West Ham United in 1976 and Austria Wien in 1978.
-The UEFA Cup by beating Benfica in 1983.
-The UEFA Supercup twice by beating Bayern Munchen in 1976 and Liverpool in 1978.

2013-14: Saw the other clubs gently caress up and fumbled their way into the championship, they missed all their penalties and that's about the only worthwhile thing about their season last year. Somehow I didn't have to change this from last year.

Trainer: Besnik Hasi
Main JPL rivals: Club Brugge, Standard Liège
You've probably heard of: Anthony Vanden Borre, Sacha Kljestan
Founded: 1908
Goaltune: Blur - Song 2

Sportvereniging Zulte Waregem aka Essevee

Nationwide: They were Second Division champion in 2005, haven't left the Pro League since and won the Belgian Cup in 2006.

International: Waregem's biggest accomplishment in Europe was losing to Newcastle in the 3rd round of the UEFA cup.

2013-14: Nobody really expected them to replicate their great previous season, but they somehow managed to cling on and avoid falling into mid-table mediocrity. The season was characterised by a whole bunch of drama around Thorgan Hazard, some really promising moments like the first three games of the play-offs and the search for a decent striker.

Trainer: Francky Dury
Main JPL rivals: Kortrijk
You've probably heard of: Official World Cup Keeper Sammy Bossut, mini-Benteke and mini-mini-Hazard
Founded: 2001 (Fusion of KSV Waregem and Zultse VV)
Goaltune: Otto Knows - Million Voices

Club Brugge Koninklijke Voetbalvereniging aka blauw-zwart (blue and black) aka Club

Nationwide: Club Brugge have become League champion 13 times, their longest streak being three wins from 75-76 to 77-78. They've won the Belgian Cup 10 times, their longest streak being 2 wins from 1994-95 to 95-96. Club have won the Supercup 13 times, 7 times as league champion and 6 times as cup winner, longest streak being four wins from 2002 to 2005. Club Brugge won the very first Supercup against SK Beveren in 1980. They've won the Bruges Matins 19 times (which isn't really an accomplishment when you're always in the finals since 1991) with a current seven win streak. A comeback against a feisty Wolfsburg kept the streak going.

International: Club Brugge have had mixed success outside of Belgium.

-Lost the 1976 UEFA Cup final and 1978 European Champion Clubs' Cup final, both against Liverpool.
-Won the 1981 Kirin Cup.

2013-14: Did well but not really all that great, fired their manager, continued to do well but not all that great.

Trainer: Michel Preud'homme
Main JPL Rivals: AA Gent, Anderlecht, Cercle Brugge
You've probably heard of: Timmy Simons, Oscar Duarte, Mathew Ryan, Davy De fauw (noooo)
Founded: 1891
Goaltune: Jordan & Baker - Explode

Royal Standard Club de Liège aka Les Rouches (The Reds)

Nationwide: They've been Belgian League champion ten times now, their longest winning streak is three wins, from 68-69 to 70-71. Their last win was the 2008-2009 season. Standard has won the Supercup four times, once as cup winner and three times as league champion. Standard has won the Belgian Cup 6 times, the last time in 2011. They haven't been relegated since 1921.

International: Liège's biggest accomplishment in Europe was losing 2-1 to Barcelona in the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup finals in 1982.

2013-14: Spent the entire season thrashing everyone, seemingly streaming straight towards a cosy league victory before bottling it hard and giving Anderlecht the title.

Trainer: Guy Luzon
Main JPL rivals: Anderlecht, Charleroi
You've probably heard of: Igor De Camargo, Jelle Van Damme
Founded: 1898
Goaltune: The Champions - We Are The Best, now to be played sarcastically.

Koninklijke Racing Club Genk

They won the Belgian League three times and the Belgian Cup four times. They have won the Supercup once in 2011 as league champion. They've also won the Second Division once, the Final Round twice and haven't been relegated since 1996.

2013-14: The fact that Genk still managed to come in sixth really is all the proof we need that the JPL is utter gash.

Trainer: Emilio Ferrera
Main JPL rivals: Genk
You've probably heard of: Jelle Vossen, Julien Gorius
Founded: 1988 (As fusion between THOR Waterschei and KFC Winterslag)
Goaltune: D'Europe & Dreuver - Racing Song

Koninklijke Sporting Club Lokeren Oost-Vlaanderen aka Tricolores

They won the Belgian Cup, their very first trophy, in 2011 and repeated this feat in 2014. They were also the Second Division champion in 1996 and haven't been relegated since.

2013-14: Played about half as well as the previous season, still came in fifth and won the cup.

Trainer: Peter Maes
Main JPL rivals: AA Gent, Waasland-Beveren
You've probably heard of: Boubacar Barry, Ivan Leko
Founded: 1923
Goaltune: TC Matic - Oh La La La

Yellow Red Koninklijke Voetbalclub Mechelen aka The Yellow Reds aka Malinois aka Malinwa aka De Kakkers (The Shitters)

Nationwide: Four time First Division winner, five time Second Division winner, two time Final Round winner, one time Third Division winner (after bankruptcy), one time Belgian Cup winner. They haven't been relegated since 2007.

International:
1988 European Cup Winners' Cup winner, beating Ajax with 1-0.
1988 European Supercup winner, beating PSV Eindhoven
1989 Joan Gamper Trophy winner, beating Sochaux

2013-14: Changed managers a lot. Didn't get relegated.

Trainer: Aleksandar Janković
Main JPL rivals: Lierse
You've probably heard of: Benjamin Mokulu, Mads Junker
Founded: 1904
Goaltune: None

Koninklijke Voetbalclub Kortrijk aka De Kerels (The Dudes)

Won the Final Round three times and the Second Division twice, haven't been relegated since 2007.

2013-14: Looked to challenge a play-off one spot but ultimately it was an unremarkable midtable club season

Trainer: Yves Vanderhaeghe
Main JPL rivals: Zulte Waregem
You've probably heard of: Teddy Chevalier, Gertjan De Mets
Founded: 1901
Goaltune: Tenpole Tudor - Wunderbar (who the gently caress knows)

Royale Sporting du Pays de Charleroi aka the Zebras

They've been second division champions twice, the last time was in 2012

2013-14: Had a really nice season. They were probably one of my favourite clubs to watch.

Trainer: Felice Mazzu
Main JPL rivals: Standard Liège
You've probably heard of: Giuseppe Rossini, Olivier Renard
Founded: 1904
Goaltune: Cidinho & Doca - Rap Das Armas

Koninklijke Atletiek Associatie Gent aka The Buffalos

Nationwide: AA Gent have been relegated a few times and are a four time Second Division champion, as well as Second Division Final Round Champion in 1989. After 1989, Gent haven't been relegated. Gent have won the Belgian cup three times and won the Supercup as cup winner in 1984.

International: AA Gent's biggest accomplishment in Europe is being a runner-up twice in the Intertoto Cup.

1)2006: Lost from Grasshopper-Club Zurich in the Central-East region
2)2007: Lost from Aalborg BK in the Northern Region

2013-14: A comedy of errors, oh my god, being a Gent fan was pretty bad last season, again.

Trainer: Hein Vanhaezebrouck
Main JPL rivals: Club Brugge
You've probably heard of: Bernd Thijs, César Arzo
Founded: 1900
Goaltune: Kernkraft 400 - Zombie Nation

Koninklijke Lierse Sportkring aka De Pallieters

Four time Belgian League winner, last time in 1997. Two time runner-up
Two time Belgian Cup winner, last time in 1999. One time runner-up
Two time Belgian Supercup winner, 1997 as champion and 1999 as cup winner.

2013-14: poo poo and boring, someone get them relegated already.

Trainer: Stanley Menzo
Main JPL rivals: Mechelen
You've probably heard of: Daylon Claasen, Matz Sels
Founded: 1906
Goaltune: Mannenkoor Karrespoor - Mooi Man (were polling for a new goaltune last year)

Koninklijke Voetbalclub Red Star Waasland-Sportkring Beveren aka de Wase Wolven (the Wolves of the Waasland)

SK Beveren had a few titles and a supercup or two I'm pretty sure. Sadly this club has Waasland's honours and not Beveren's so apart from winning the Second Division final round in 2013 they've done gently caress all!!

2013-14: Were poo poo but then luckily for them some shittier sides showed up

Trainer: Ronny Van Geneugden
Main JPL rivals: Lokeren
You've probably heard of: Jurgen Cavens, Colin Coosemans
Founded: 2010 (Fusion of Red Star Waasland and SK Beveren)
Goaltune: Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive

Cercle Brugge Koninklijke Sportvereniging aka Groen en Zwart (Green and Black)

Won the league title three times, last time in 1930. Four time Second Division champion, haven't been relegated since 2003.

2013-14: Improved a lot over last season - or those other teams got much worse. Either way, they're still here.

Trainer: Lorenzo Staelens
Main JPL rivals: Club Brugge
You've probably heard of: Bart Buysse, Gregory Mertens
Founded: 1899
Goaltune: The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger

Koninklijke Voetbalclub Oostende aka de Kustboys (the Boys from the Coast)

KV Oostende are the closest team to you if you're from across the pond or across the bigger pond. If you want to look the least plastic this club is for you. They had a real good season in the second division, but are best known in this thread for maybe, maybe not, actually not, no, not being bought by Waregem chairman Decuyper.

2013-14: Went from winning the 2013 second division championship to a more than comfortable midtable finish, despite a difficult early season.

Trainer: Frederik Vanderbiest
Main JPL rivals: -
You've probably heard of: Tom Van Imschoot, Xavier Luissint
Founded: 1981 (fusion of VG and AS Oostende)
Goaltune: TC Matic - Oh La La La

THE FRESH BLOOD:

Royal Mouscron-Péruwelz aka whatever

Not much! At one point during the 90s, they found themselves in the fourth provincial division. However, in the last few seasons Mouscron has shot up the ranks, going from fourth to third division in 2011, from third to second in 2012 and now finally to first division in 2014 after winning the second division final round.

Trainer: Rachid Chihab
Founded: 1921 as Racing Club Péruwelz, fusion with Mouscron in 2010

KVC Westerlo aka Westel

Played in the Pro League between 1997 and 2012, after which they spent two years in the second division. Never really achieved anything, aside from getting kicked out of Europe early twice, and will hopefully continue to do so.

Trainer: Dennis van Wijk
Founded: 1933

loving playoffs, how do they work?

- 1 to 6 play against eachother in one group with their points halved, top spot becomes champion, fourth (or fifth) spot plays against the winner of:

- 7 to 14 play against eachother in two groups starting from zero, top spots play against eachother, winner goes against aforementioned fourth (or fifth)

- 15 and 16 go against eachother to decide for immediate relegation, 16 starting from zero, 15 getting three points and the home advantage in three of the five matches. Winner goes to the Final Round, loser relegates.

WHO'S IN EUROPE HUH???

Champions League:
Anderlecht
Standard

Europa League:
Club Brugge
Lokeren
Zulte Waregem

Fans:

First Division:

AA Gent: beedeebee
Anderlecht: the sex ghost
Cercle Brugge: oystertoadfish
Club Brugge: Bacon of the Sea, belgend, Green-Eyed Loco Man, uXs
Lokeren: inktvis
Oud-Heverlee Leuven: Punc
Standard Liege: biglad, Newbori
Zulte Waregem: R.Mute

Lower Divisions:

Eendracht Aalst (Second Division): DjCoax, malder
White Star Woluwé (Second Division): byolante

Why do we need the thread RIGHT NOW? Because, friends, football is upon us. Zulte Waregem will be playing ZAWISZA BYDGOSZCZ (yes that's copy pasted) in the Europa League qualifier on Thursday and again the next week. Meanwhile, the league starts on the 25th with Standard - Charleroi being our opening match.

LET'S POST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dedicating this thread to belgend, who did not post the balls.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'm also pretty pumped about the transfers this window - it's a lot more interesting than last year, at least. I'm part worried, part curious. I'm slightly grumpy about losing both De fauw and Kums. I can get that De fauw wants to go to Brugge, after all the drama last year. But Kums only just got here and he's going to Ghent. Ghent. No offence bedeebee, but Ghent.

Luckily, we also got a bunch of new players and they're not all from the French second division. In fact, it's like players are starting to take that youth development thing seriously. I'm doing all the moves right now, for sure.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Dury wants to buy another three players. I've got the horn.

Also lol at:

quote:

Anderlecht heeft matig geoefend tegen vierdeklasser FC Luik. De landskampioen speelde met voornamelijk jonge spelers, versterkt met spits Aleksandar Mitrovic. De Serviër miste wel een strafschop in de eerste helft, maar na de pauze zette hij Anderlecht toch op voorsprong. Samuel Armenteros, terug van een uitleenbeurt aan Feyenoord, zette twee minuten na zijn invalbeurt de 0-2 op het bord.

ALSO I totally forgot that sunday is the day of the most worthless of all trophies - The Belgian Supercup! I hope it goes to penalties, I do.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

We actually didn't really see a drop in quality after losing Delaplace last year and Malanda, Habibou and Leye during the january transfer window (Leye being dead counts). Okay, so Kums was a direct replacement of Delaplace, but surely we'll find someone to take on that role. We already bought midfielders who couldn't cut it in England - but we're not in England. Add to that Kylian Hazard and Conté/N'Diaye and I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe Hinostroza will actually come back? Where the hell is that guy?

Our options up front aren't too bad either. Sylla, Naessens, Benteke, Bogonda, Trajkovski, Plet and I guess Cacérès is still there too. I dunno, I can see it working.

Obviously losing Thorgan will hurt, but considering the fact that both Lokeren and Genk managed to get into Play Off 1, I think it should be possible to stay in. Another title run is out of the question, though. Can't see that happening. People weren't optimistic last year either.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

You're both in luck. Both Club and Oostende are moderately entertaining to watch. This is high praise for the JPL. I hear Brugge just tied with Bordeaux in De Brugse Metten. Timmy Simons missed a penalty.

In other news, Zulte Waregem beat their opponent, the Polish cup winner with the funny name, with 2-1. I didn't see it happen, because nobody streams this sort of thing, but here's what I got out of the write-ups and the live-reports. I don't think much could've been done about their goal, watching the replay. Very lovely goal. Ours were pluckier, but it seems like there were some lovely plays by several of our lads. Aneke seems to own, Bogonda continues to improve and Conte/N'Diaye still own. Can't wait to see the other additions in action. Or y'know, actually see the ones that played in this game.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

You should be.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I totally forgot that the Supercup was happening, but all predictions for this season instantly came true as the other team bottled it hard enough for Anderlecht to sneak their way to the trophy. Lokeren lost 2-1 after an own goal in the 91st minute, after both teams refused to actually score more than one goal in the 90 minutes before.

so congatulations, I guess

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I hope you Standard fans are pumped about the best transfer news so far

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Well, Zulte Waregem won another match I didn't get to watch, defeating the Poles again and qualifying for the third round of the EL. Plet, Aneke, some pole and Skulason scored - Skulason doing so after a Pole got sent off for literally punching N'Diaye.

Tomorrow the real football begins. Get pumped.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

:siren: magic foam :siren:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

r-r-round-up ~

Standard 3-0 Charleroi
Waasland-Beveren 0-2 Club Brugge
Westerlo 1-0 Lokeren
Cercle Brugge 0-0 AA Gent
Lierse SK 2-0 Oostende
KV Mechelen 3-1 Racing Genk
Anderlecht 3-1 Moeskroen-Péruwelz
Zulte Waregem 2-0 Kortrijk

Notable results (all of them): Standard beats rivals Charleroi without too many problems, despite losing many important players. Charleroi, despite losing practically nobody, looked nothing like the side that hounded Standard last year.
Westerlo, newcomers to the first division, drat well beat last years cup winners Lokeren, despite there being some controversy surrounding an uncalled foul before the goal.
AA Gent's strategy of buying a bunch of decent players from the JPL hasn't really impressed, with them drawing against Cercle - a draw which could've very well been a defeat. Ghent will have to hope that as time goes on, they'll start working as a team - but hope really isn't a thing that comes naturally for Ghent.
Lierse beat Oostende which I personally found unexpected. Ruiz was subbed in at 67'.
KV Mechelen beat Genk... yeah.
We beat those fuckers Kortrijk.

DUARTE WATCH:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Punc posted:

What happened with Genk?
Weren't they supposed to improve over last year?
they're a terrible team and have been found out as a collection of frauds.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Habibou did say it wasn't about not being selected, but... yeah. It's still a shame, Habibou was okay. He wasn't really a good player, but he did know how to score a goal.

As to Gent as a whole - the best description I've read so far was the entry about the player presentation on the guide to the Gentse Feesten, something along the lines of: let's go meet the players who'll disappoint us this year.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

beedeebee posted:

:siren:FIRST TRAINER DEATH OF THE SEASON:siren:

Emilio Ferrera (Genk's coach) is fired after one (1) matchday in the new season. Congratulations on that record Emilio!
yesssss i lust for trainer death

it's also really great for kv mechelen: your team is so bad we fired our coach because of the shame of losing against you

uXs posted:

Only one matchday and there's also been a storm (no, not that one) in Brugge: https://www.flickr.com/photos/clubbrugge/sets/72157645989271724/
*builds new stadium in area that floods constantly*

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Good news if you like jokes: Genk will be training behind closed doors for the rest of the week.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kums? Maybe?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

y'know, this is another match i can't stream anywhere and usually that's fairly okay. i can see just what's happening on the sporza feed. but this match... two early goals for the belarusians, two substitutes for zulte, one goal for zulte, one straight up red card for zulte and another sub for schachtor... what the gently caress is going on there?

e: 1-3 ughghgh

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 31, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also Duarte just scored for Brugge

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

2-5. just wow.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

well, going from one of the best defences in the league to one of the worst will take some getting used to

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

guess i was being hasty. i have to admit, lovely, lovely goal by dutra. e: https://vine.co/v/M9bh1e32xla

i'm also in love with verboom he's class

R. Mute fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 3, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The results.

Champions league:
Standard 0-0 Panathinaikos

Euro League:
Zulte Waregem 2-5 Shachtor Soligorsk
Club Brugge 3-0 Brøndby IF

Oostende 0-2 Anderlecht
Kortrijk 2-3 Standard
Racing Genk 1-1 Cercle Brugge
Charleroi 2-3 Westerlo
Moeskroen-Péruwelz 1-0 Waasland-Beveren
Lokeren 2-1 Zulte Waregem
Club Brugge 1-0 Lierse SK
AA Gent 3-1 KV Mechelen

Not the best week for Zulte, but at least we can write down the loss to Lokeren to habit. In more general news, the first two days have already been peak JPL. Incompetence from the bigger teams gets cancelled out by the incompetence of the rest of the league, the midtable clubs disappoint, there's a plucky underdog doing well with Westerlo being last year's Oostende - and in the end, Anderlecht win it.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

In other news from the total joke of a club Racing Genk, they're now getting rid of defender Jeroen Simaeys because he made some remarks in the papers - remarks like 'poo poo is hosed up' 'we should play the players we bought.' So I guess other players will be playing.

Meanwhile, Jelle Vossen continues to frantically search for a foreign club who's willing to pay Way Too Much Money for his garbageman self.

It's all so sad. I really liked Genk two seasons ago. They were fun to watch. Now I hope they get relegated.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

poo poo, I forgot they actually show the Champions League qualification rounds.

Here's a link if anyone else missed it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlm0Q1NyyYs

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i watched lokeren tie genk and ugghnngnnn *groan* sighhhhh

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

If the Costa Ricans want to see JJ Ruiz Do A Thing, he didn't quite end a beautiful move with a goal, but Franck Berrier tapped in the rebound so it's all good in the end. Starts at 0:40 - http://www.nieuwsblad.be/SportWereld/cnt/DMF20140809_01211105

Some pretty bad defending, though.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Well gently caress me, Gent just beat Standard.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Racing Genk 0-0 Lokeren
KV Mechelen 1-2 Kortrijk
Lierse SK 2-2 Moeskroen-Péruwelz
Cercle Brugge 0-1 Oostende
Waasland-Beveren 1-1 Westerlo
Standard 0-1 AA Gent
Anderlecht 1-0 Charleroi
Zulte Waregem 1-1 Club Brugge

Match-day three: ties and also Gent beat Standard.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

beedeebee posted:

Defour and Big Dan...
i loving hate anderlecht so much

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

It's just kind of insane. They paid 6,5 million euros for Defour and he's getting 1,5 million in wages. Just compare that to the budgets of the smaller teams. There are entire squads out there that don't cost that much. It's complete overkill.

Luckily, they aren't getting Van Buyten - he's retiring.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

to give some contrast, we just signed Mohamed 'straight up punched a guy during a friendly' Messoudi after he got kicked out of loving OHL. i mean

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

He actually just got off on a procedural error, so he's free to play. I still don't know why we'd want him (other than: even if we sell him for peanuts in January, those are still peanuts we're getting) - it's like we learned nothing about keeping the happy from last year's shenanigans. Is he actually good? I've never heard of him before he punched that guy.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I guess he might be entertaining to watch if we put him up there with Skulason in some sort of Bash Brothers kind of deal.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Standard getting wrecked. Moeskroen not giving them an inch - it's real pretty. I wonder how long they can keep this pressure up, though.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pwhoar

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

w-e-l-p.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I wouldn't have it any other way.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

two bad teams