Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I've said it before, but I think the show is taking to long to get into the meat of the story and it might turn some viewers off. I can already see it in a few of the reactions in this thread. Trust me though, when it takes off it will take off. It should be next episode, but can't possibly be later than the one after that. If you are on the fence stick with it a little longer. How they handle the takeoff and consequences will determine if this show is worth it or not. I am a book fan obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Codependent Poster posted:

The thread title makes me wish Blade would show up and makes me sad each time.
I thought the TV series had a good stab at the Blade universe.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

How come the pest control dude wears a badge around his neck like a street cop? I was seriously confused the first episode he was in. I thought he was a cop that moonlighted as an exterminator...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How come the pest control dude wears a badge around his neck like a street cop? I was seriously confused the first episode he was in. I thought he was a cop that moonlighted as an exterminator...

Cops aren't the only ones who are issued badges. Many city government employees are issued badges, especially when they have to be able to prove who they work for to enter buldings for certain jobs. Government lawyers even have badges.

Think of it like a taxi medallion, which is also issued by the city or state.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 29, 2014

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I've said it before, but I think the show is taking to long to get into the meat of the story and it might turn some viewers off. I can already see it in a few of the reactions in this thread. Trust me though, when it takes off it will take off. It should be next episode, but can't possibly be later than the one after that. If you are on the fence stick with it a little longer. How they handle the takeoff and consequences will determine if this show is worth it or not. I am a book fan obviously.

Ratings are good, no worries.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm still not sure how annoying I find the family drama. Stoll's character is not remotely sympathetic, but I'm not sure they realize that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Slamhound posted:

I'm still not sure how annoying I find the family drama. Stoll's character is not remotely sympathetic, but I'm not sure they realize that.

He's painted as an unsympathetic character. Or maybe as one of the millions who find worth through their job rather than in their personal lives.

I don't think they're petting the dog here, I think they're just establishing the backstory for the main character.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
All of the characters are awful, except for the health inspector and pawn shop old guy.

Watching for Russian exterminator who saves world.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

All of the characters are awful, except for the health inspector and pawn shop old guy.

Watching for Russian exterminator who saves world.

Hold on a second....an irate no-nonsense Russian and a victimized Polish Jew team up to stop a Nazi-vampire?

That is too crazy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LeJackal posted:

Hold on a second....an irate no-nonsense Russian and a victimized Polish Jew team up to stop a Nazi-vampire?

That is too crazy.

He's not a victim, he's holding a grudge.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

LeJackal posted:

That is too crazy.

The old guy is Armenian :spergin:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Basticle posted:

The old guy is Armenian :spergin:

Ya got me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Setrakian is an ultra Armenian name.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

The thread title makes me wish Blade would show up and makes me sad each time.

You already saw that silver swords exist in this universe. Keep watching.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
Would it be such a big hit to ad revenue to have done another double episode Sunday? I can see the pacing thus far working well for box set and netflix viewers but the weekly pacing is really not doing the show any favours. How long is the first season anyway?

Gonz posted:

Setrakian is an ultra Armenian name.

Also about as un-Polish a name that isn't Korean.

Great Enoch fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 30, 2014

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Great Enoch posted:

How long is the first season anyway?

Thirteen episodes.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Dunno if they will talk about it in the show but the one survivors wife is clinically OCD and pretty batshit off the wall. The actress nailed the religious paranoia. I was laughing at that.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

The entire trilogy should be called Ephraim gets cucked. Loses his son to Matt and then a vampire.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The pest control guy is confusing me since I thought he was a cop at first. Is he animal control or something? He doesn't seem to carry a gun but his badge looks pretty NYPD to me, a guy who is from nowhere near NY. I would rather see Kevin Durand playing some badass cop in this show because he is a loving gigantic person, even though I'm not sure how him being a cop would even fit into the story. Whatever I guess. The dudes at the restaurant in the kitchen in the first episode were sort of treating him as a cop, if you count trying to blow him off as treating him like a cop.

At any rate, it's definitely a little campy, but the show knows it's campy, which I like. I keep waiting for Snipes to show up and start karate chopping motherfuckers but sadly no dice yet. But GdT is a big plus for me and I like the dark, sort of Gothic feel of it all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's a pest control guy. The restaurant people were treating him like a cop because he can shut down a restaurant. I'm sure his physicality was a factor in hiring him for the role.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The fact that he's a pest exterminator in a show about a spreading vampire contagion gives us a pretty unsubtle hint as to what the character is going to be like. (Haven't read the books)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sucrose posted:

The fact that he's a pest exterminator in a show about a spreading vampire contagion gives us a pretty unsubtle hint as to what the character is going to be like.

Kevin Durand is

BLADE in BLADE IV -- THE PEST CONTROLLER

Mu Zeta posted:

He's a pest control guy. The restaurant people were treating him like a cop because he can shut down a restaurant. I'm sure his physicality was a factor in hiring him for the role.

I mean, I guess if pest control is going to be a city government job that answers to the mayor, it would be NYC.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Bert Roberge posted:

The entire trilogy should be called Ephraim gets cucked. Loses his son to Matt and then a vampire.

And loses Nora to Fet! :parrot:

Edwardian fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 31, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Spoilered since I don't know if I watched the latest episode or not. DVR is acting weird about not saying what the newest episodes are.

So vampires lose their dick and balls in this universe (per baptist minister's son/satan worshipping metal band whatever).

At least it wasn't painful. Dude just looked at it floating in the toilet and basically said "gently caress it" and flushed.

EDIT: I wish someone would pay me for an easy Google search job with a PS4.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
even if you watched the latest episode (you did) you don't have to spoiler what happens, once it airs it is fair game in the show's thread

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drifter posted:

He's not a victim, he's holding a grudge.

best human scene so far was when the Nazi vampire was trolling the pawn shop owner.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

best human scene so far was when the Nazi vampire was trolling the pawn shop owner.

"Man, these vampires are DICKS."

punpunpunpunnypunabout not having dicks yes haha very funny

ufarn
May 30, 2009
George RR Martin's vampire book, Fevre Dream, is on sale for $1.99 in the US store until midnight, by the way.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Drifter posted:

"Man, these vampires are DICKS."

punpunpunpunnypunabout not having dicks yes haha very funny

if wonder if the nazi vampire puts on a fake penis as part of the disguise.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

etalian posted:

if wonder if the nazi vampire puts on a fake penis as part of the disguise.

There is no shortage of supply in a variety of medical and recreational artificial dicks. They even have fun fantasy colors and shapes these days!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LeJackal posted:

There is no shortage of supply in a variety of medical and recreational artificial dicks. They even have fun fantasy colors and shapes these days!

"Hmmm. DO I feel like Engorged Dragon today, or Tsexy Tsigani? Nah, I'll just go with the ol' standby, Black - 11 inch. Tomorrow I'll do Soviet Powerhouse."

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

"Hmmm. DO I feel like Engorged Dragon today, or Tsexy Tsigani? Nah, I'll just go with the ol' standby, Black - 11 inch. Tomorrow I'll do Soviet Powerhouse."

"You've got a weird looking face, talk funny, and something about your stare is off.......are you some kinda vampire?"

*unzips slacks*

"Oh I see, you're some breed of otherkin. My mistake."

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

Slamhound posted:

It doesn't even seem realistic to me. What court brings in a 9-year-old and literally makes him choose between parents? It's retarded.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Kneecaps posted:

It doesn't even seem realistic to me. What court brings in a 9-year-old and literally makes him choose between parents? It's retarded.

The same court that exists in a fantasy world about vampires. And people blind as gently caress to someone who has red eyes and looks like complete dog poo poo and think they just need to sleep it off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kneecaps posted:

It happens in tv/movies all the time. They want the opinion of the kid, it's not the only factor in deciding the custody.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Haha I forgot how much of a terrible do-nothing beta Ephraim is for most of the series.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
At least his tubes are looking nice and healthy.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
This episode is off to a pretty disgusting start

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
Jesus Christ.

The wet, glorpy sound of that stinger being pulled free during the autopsy of the pilot, along with the visual, made me gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

It's like that autopsy scene from Blade 2, but more... throat-y.

• Locked thread