Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The pest control guy is confusing me since I thought he was a cop at first. Is he animal control or something? He doesn't seem to carry a gun but his badge looks pretty NYPD to me, a guy who is from nowhere near NY. I would rather see Kevin Durand playing some badass cop in this show because he is a loving gigantic person, even though I'm not sure how him being a cop would even fit into the story. Whatever I guess. The dudes at the restaurant in the kitchen in the first episode were sort of treating him as a cop, if you count trying to blow him off as treating him like a cop.

At any rate, it's definitely a little campy, but the show knows it's campy, which I like. I keep waiting for Snipes to show up and start karate chopping motherfuckers but sadly no dice yet. But GdT is a big plus for me and I like the dark, sort of Gothic feel of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sucrose posted:

The fact that he's a pest exterminator in a show about a spreading vampire contagion gives us a pretty unsubtle hint as to what the character is going to be like.

Kevin Durand is

BLADE in BLADE IV -- THE PEST CONTROLLER

Mu Zeta posted:

He's a pest control guy. The restaurant people were treating him like a cop because he can shut down a restaurant. I'm sure his physicality was a factor in hiring him for the role.

I mean, I guess if pest control is going to be a city government job that answers to the mayor, it would be NYC.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I pretty much have no goddamn idea who they let write the line about airplanes being like missiles, and why it made it into the final cut of the show.

Okay really I have no idea why that woman's character exists except to make us marvel at how stupid and pointless a single character can be. Pointless burying of the dog, pointless eulogy to said pointlessly-buried dog killed by undead husband of living character who is curiously less horrified by her loving ALL-OF-A-SUDDEN-VAMPIRE HUSBAND than she should be. What kind of nut is this woman?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Edwardian posted:

I was more distracted by the fact that Ancel could talk. (Never mind that he managed to hold on to his humanity enough to send the kids away and tell her to go away.)

I thought once they grew the stinger, they could not speak, because all those organs were re-purposed.

Well, Zee German Vampire, whatever his name is, can speak. Now I done gots muhsef confoosed

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Edwardian posted:

I have to go back and look at the books. I thought they communicated telepathically past a certain point of development.

When you do, can you also tell me what the poo poo is up with the throat teeth?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

Mom finds clever secret trick to get rid of annoying neighbors.

New thread title?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Vampire hunters HATE her!

e. Local mom introduces her neighbor to her sick husband, you won't believe what happens next.

Sounds like upworthy

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

the posted:

Came for the vampires.

Stayed for the guy's dick falling into the toilet while he peed.

If it was just gonna fall off while he peed and he wasn't even going to feel it, then I have trouble believing that he even felt the urge to pee overcome the OH MY loving GOD WHAT THE poo poo gently caress OH GOD GOD GOD GOD WHY FUCKHITLER poo poo kind of pain he should have felt.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Considering the cloaca revelation last ep he should have been peeing out of his butt :colbert:

Maybe he hadn't developed a cloaca yet because maybe it only happens after your wang plops into the toilet like a turd.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I thought they specifically said there is no butthole, that they expel waste through their mouths?

Did he say the mouth acts as a cloaca? Because that's basically the way it works with humans too :smuggo:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

You'll be in love when a crazy white woman tricks her annoying nosy neighbor into checking out the shed.

That is actually the least crazy thing she has done or said

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

The book I mentioned a while back was called The Unblemished, by Conrad Williams.

Untraditional mindcontrol vampires and whatnot. It was pretty good from what I remember. They didn't try to fit in to society or use the tools of civilization to control it, more than to just destroy and dominate or whatever.

There was a similar book called Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons about people with powerful psychic powers who could control anyone in the world, from anywhere in the world, and they could kill people and claim their energy to basically stay immortal. Dan Simmons is a pretty good horror writer. Wondering why there isn't some show or movie on either of these books yet.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

As the show progresses I imagine we'll get more of the good stuff and less boring court scenes.

In Eph's defense his wife seems like an insufferable oval office who condescends him at every turn and wasted little time in getting a new boyfriend after dumping Eph. I mean, in part she's got reason to condescend him, but mostly she just seems to like spiting him.

I mean, he's a loving CDC doctor for Christ's sake. He's still pretty annoying, but can't they cut him a little slack since oh, I don't know, he's one of the only people in Canada New York with the knowledge and experience to figure out a goddamn vampire epidemic?

e: I mean besides Struckian Setrankin Sedrunkian that Armenian guy?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 9, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

To be fair, he's been cheating on her, so at least she waited until after the breakup before she got a boyfriend.

Was that in the books? Maybe I should read the books.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

spookygonk posted:

...she "announced" she had a boyfriend

Maybe she's not a totally insufferable oval office, but the show does go to great lengths (or greater lengths than it needs to) in order to sell you Eph's "poor fella, no one understands the weight on his shoulders" feeling and also his ex's apparent doucheness. It's almost like they WANT people to come to a conclusion as to why he cheated on her.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Really? Cause I've only watched the show, and I wasn't under the impression that she's a douche at all. I mean, even the kid is skeptical about Eph's claims of change.

Can you give some examples of the show framing her as a douche?

Well, it's mostly just the fact that all the vamp disease virus parasite poo poo is going on, and she's making it all about her and the kid. Granted, yes, Eph is being a bigger douche in that regard by fighting to get his kid more often when he knows he won't have time for it, but at the same time it gives off the impression that it's not understood that he researches and fights deadly (or undeadly?) epidemics for a goddamn living, it's what he does.

You know what? I take it back. He is the bigger douche. I can't even support my own argument because there's nothing there.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Just the show?

TV in general might not be for him

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

Please don't get so defensive. I like the show and I don't care too much about realism. I am confused about the direction of the storytelling because until ep 4 it seemed to go for a slow build-up based on the four main survivors and Setrakian and Eph tracking them down, trying to contain the spread. But now there is already a spread and those other vampires seem to be the exact same variety than those who did not die in the plane.

The other point is not about society but about those survivor's families. It was just too weird how in these circumstances there are three occasions in which the symptoms are so blatantly ignored. Again, it's about what the show does: I would like a (better) explanation for why the people don't call a doctor, or the symptoms could be more subtle.

edit: Now that I think about it, I liked how Joan's maid tries to just run off with the children in the latest episode.

They probably don't call a doctor because the loving CDC doctors who kept them quarantined had no idea what the gently caress, what the poo poo can Doctor McFamilyPractice do to help them?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

I'd trust my family practitioner more than I'd trust a stranger. I mean, gently caress, if somebody kept me in a quarantine not telling me anything I'd be super inclined to not trust them.

That said, a lot of people would work through a few days of pain simply because in all their past experience it'll go away. And maybe those worms are loving poo poo up in your head quick, making you drunk and hallucinate or whatever. I mean, they're literally killing and replacing your organs, it'd be easy to think they're also filling your brain with chemicals while that's happening...before they kill your brain, too.

Well if the show is to be believed, since it hasn't killed Zee German's brain, would it kill anyone else's? Or was he affected differently?

And my point with the docs was, a CDC doc is TRAINED in that kind of poo poo specifically, and they didn't know what was up. Based on my expert knowledge from a plethora of TV movies and miniseries depicting mass disease outbreak and the end of the world, if the CDC doc doesn't know what's up at the outset, it will usually take until like there are less than a few thousand people left alive on the planet before the superdoc makes a vaccine or engineers a cure. You may trust your family doctor and his stethoscope, but brother, you know that homie is in over his head. First sign of disease outbreak, that motherfucker is like, "gently caress this poo poo," and gets far away.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

it's about the show presenting me with people being stupid and naive over and over again.

Welp, TV and stuff. You know.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

That's a bad excuse when you have well-written shows on a lot these days.

Well sure. This show isn't trying to take itself too seriously, that's why it's campy. It seems like they want it to be, and if it floats the viewer's boat, awesome. If it doesn't, they can move on. If you know something is going to be campy, I think it's a little silly to nitpick it for small things that don't make sense. I mean, gently caress, vampires don't make goddamn sense.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I wondered who the gently caress those guys were at the end, which sort of piqued my interest again when I saw that they were vampires.

So I guess maybe I wish sort of that the show would just focus on the badass vampire anti-vampires because that would totally stand on its own without Ephraim and the gangster dude, who so far has only furthered the plot in the first episode and currently just sort of wastes screen time which they apparently need him to do because they have been building up to the vampires who kill vampires.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

The Blade 2 rejects' boss looked so cute with his pointy little rabbit teefies.

:3:

Speaking of Blade II, I would REALLY love it if Ron Perlman made a cameo even though this show is unrelated to Blade II in anything but vampires and GdT.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

SpaceAceJase posted:

Those dudes at the end would have come across as bit more more interesting if they didn't speak. "Oh hey little one. Let me have a look at you."

Actually, I thought it worked well for creep factor. I kept wondering (not having read the books) if they were going to just kill the kids and the Haitian woman and her daughter.

Also, LOL at all of them basically trusting these dudes who look exactly like the ones who tried to tongue suck their blood. I don't care, I still would have been like, FUUUUUCK THIS.

Ah, but then, that whole exposition scene wouldn't have worked.

e: Do the books ever explain why some of the vampires keep their human minds and why the rest of them are basically vampire zombies or have I missed something important in the show?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

I'm as serious as this show is good.

So joking then?

For serious though, it's not awesome but it's fun to watch for sure.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Tell us more about how you would totally outsmart and outrun a goddamned SWAT team armed with automatic weapons that had you cornered :allears:

Okay okay, I'll rephrase. I would have been too scared to move.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Like, he's being awfully friendly to a couple of snacks.

I don't usually tell my cheetos they are pieces of poo poo before I ravage them like a rabid dog attacks a rancid steak.

Er, uh, I mean, of course he's being nice to them, they will bring him pleasure later. He wants to keep them alive and around so he can eat them later.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Friction.123 posted:

The tongue is just a tongue, not some weird alpha worm poo poo. The worms live in the "blood" of the host and feed on whenever the host does. God, haven't you people read the books!

[size=small]they're really not worth reading[/size]

Goddammit this post just came up after I downloaded the first book

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have to know what magical force made the gas pump accept a credit card but the machines and phone lines inside the store were down. Did you guys miss this?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Gas pumps run on generators apart from the main power grid just in case of emergencies and giant hurricanes. And have a different internet for validating credit cards. The secret internet for banks.

...just run with this

You're doing better than the writers with this so let us continue

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The entertainment has improved but the writing has gotten more sloppy. It's definitely fun to watch and I sometimes just turn it on for background while I'm doing this or that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

I think the same way about people complaining that Eph was horrified when Fet shot Samwise. Yes, it was objectively dumb to think he could be saved, but they were friends. I would be upset if someone shoots my friend in the head no matter the circumstances.

That was the least of that episode's logical problems, but the whole episode was really fun and the show is worth watching finally because the boring is going away.

It was strange to me to expect Samwise to go, "NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME" and try to hide it knowing he was nicked with a frogvampire tongue, but then find out that apparently he really didn't know and actually did what I didn't expect, which was to say that they needed to kill him. It's just a common trope (especially in zombie movies) for one dude to get bitten or whatever and hide it from the rest of the group for no real reason. I was glad to see that this episode didn't take that trope and run with it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I probably don't hate this show that much because I watched True Blood so I know how incredibly loving godawful a vampire show can be and this doesn't approach that.

Yes this is far better than a vampire romantic comedy soap opera, I agree.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Type-O Negativedick is just a normal sewer dweller.

RIP Peter Steele

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

I hear the next season of Agents of Shield might be alright.

I enjoyed the show from the get-go, but probably for reasons other than "it was good." I'm just sort of a Marvel nerd and I looked for inside jokes between Captain America and Thor movies and the show.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I know I'm late to the show, but can someone please make a gif where Vasiliy picks the Premium gas. That was absolutely hilarious. Hands down the best character.

Look on this page or the page before. Someone posted it once or twice.

edit:

Senjuro posted:

Requesting a gif of the bit where Vasiliy looks at the gas options and chooses premium. Never mind, found it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Just realized Eph is bald irl. I wonder why they bothered to stick a wig on him for the show.

Can't be having him look too much like a white supremacist CDC doc, can we? That just wouldn't fly.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Del Toro said he won't have it for the whole show.

I've noticed that the VampZombies tend to start losing their hair...maybe we can be rid of Eph soon if you catch my drift

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

:goonsay:

(just kidding, that's a sweet catch)
Book people, do they have to switch bodies after X years or is it something they just *can* do if they want to? I guess that's worthy of a spoiler. Maybe maybe not.

Looks like The Masters can, but probably not an ability granted to Eichhorst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Okay so, ex-wife's bitch friend gets sucked dry by a vamp-tongue and dies on the spot, yet before she turns she is able to make it to the basement with bad child actor #2 so that Eph can conveniently find them, kill them, and find his ex's necklace so we get to watch him awkwardly cry. I mean, in any other show, I'd probably have screamed, "OH GOD YOU FOUND HER NECKLACE THAT MEANS SHE IS ALMOST CERTAINLY DEAD! YOU loving RETARD!" Instead, I forced myself to watch Eph cry and then shrugged my shoulders as I remembered stupid scenes like this are par for the course.

Also, Eph and Nora holding each other when Eph comes back in and throws his anti-vamp gun on the table like a big loving baby, took too long. They just stand there holding each other awkwardly, almost as if Durand and whoever plays cliche hacker chick were a second or two late on their cues.

• Locked thread