Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So what sort of scale are we looking at here? It seems like it's already far, far to late to keep this contained.

I enjoyed it. A few questionable things but this probably isn't a show that you try to think about too much or the whole thing unravels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I just really love how poorly everyone is handling this situation.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DarklyDreaming posted:

I think the implication is that by the time that happens all you care about is blood, blood and more blood

Yeah, I really like that he had no reaction at all. These people got out of a quarantine that killed everyone else plus they look half dead and no one seems phased by it. At least the transformation explains why the 4 survivors aren't freaking out.

I'm hoping things escalate and it's not just the old man and CDC doctors fighting this thing while everyone else is somehow oblivious to it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I think at this point Eph doesn't trust that this problem can be fixed through normal channels. He's worried that if he reports what happened they will think he's crazy and lock him up for evaluation or something.

Who the hell would not believe him? He had the body of the Pilot which was all kinds of hosed up and a quick glance at one of those other survivors should be enough for most people to realize something is not quite right.

This show is heading towards Helix territory. At least it's more fun than Helix though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SpaceAceJase posted:

When she caught Ansel drinking the blood from the defrosting steak, did she also see his worm tongue? It was clearly there for the viewer to see, but I'm curious if she could see it from her perspective.

Nah, she's only a little bit suspicious that something is wrong.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

savinhill posted:

Yup, Eph hosed up bad by burning the pilot's body, being able to show his boss that instead of a cell phone vid would have carried a lot more weight against the boss's denial.

Well to be fair there's about a million different things that could've be done to get this situation attention. At this point it's best just to assume that no, people will not do the right thing.

I think overall it's getting better though, the breakfast scene was interesting.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Avasculous posted:

This.

It's hard to even know where to begin with the insane logic gaps the show is using to force the incompetent authorities trope in the first couple of episodes alone.

Has everyone on the show just forgotten about the huge, creepy, non-diegetic evil box disappearing mid-investigation? Or the airport official being brutally murdered 50 yards away from the investigation? Or the fact that the CDC discovered a novel pathogen on board a plane with 200 dead people?

I was enjoying the show despite this stuff for pulp entertainment, but the glacial pace is really starting to wear thin. It just seems like they're determined to waste as much screentime as possible- how many different arcs do we need for family member turns into mindless zombie and eats disbelieving father/neighbor/urologist + pudgy bounty hunter? How many nobody-believes-Ephraim/Abraham scenes do we need? How many reminders do we need that Palmer is dying and waiting for Ichorst to save him?

Especially in the last episode, there were so many scenes that did absolutely nothing to advance the plot.

Haha, I forgot about all that stuff.

The writing is pretty drat terrible but the show overall is entertaining so eh.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Questionable choice to defend the shows character decisions. It's basically the laziest version of this the writers could come up with:

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

There's also the fact that competent enough police or CDC work shutting down the threat wouldn't leave much of a show.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

savinhill posted:

I like this show. Sure, its not highbrow or a serious drama, but its not trying to be. It's a fun, gory monster show. I find it entertaining enough that I'm not bothered by most of the stuff people are complaining about. The only real thing I don't like is the Puerto Rican gangster character, I wish they could have given all his screentime to Russian exterminator.

I'm not really bothered by a lot of the stuff either. I do find it really weird that people are defending the writing though.

Avasculous posted:

Are you being serious with this? A head official at the airport gets violently killed 90 minutes into the investigation he's assisting, surrounded by forensic evidence connecting his corpse to the deaths on the plane (the ammonia), and you don't think people would count that as evidence that something fishy is going on?

Nah people would just assume that's business as usual obviously.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 17, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That FBI agent not wanting to stop a guy covered in blood from attacking someone in a car was hilarious. Then they both get killed by a snake from the guys mouth and still no one really gives a poo poo.

Then a bunch of cops run over and beat up the protagonist after he successfully defended himself from the blood covered monster which is still somehow running around attacking people.

At least those bits were funny though. Really hoping things will escalate next episode but at this point I'm wondering if it ever will.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

This show is worth watching because it is making spergs lose their poo poo because it is taking its time explaining the "rules" of the show and explaining why certain things are happening the way they are.

I doubt anyone is losing their poo poo so much as laughing at how silly some of this stuff is.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Scissorfighter posted:

Everyone in New York is being attacked by vampires. If that doesn't count as escalation I'm not sure what would.

Well maybe next episode when more than 4 people catch on that something bad is happening then yeah.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pentyne posted:

the inevitable "vampires overrun cops" scenario

I can't wait to see what they have in store for that.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ohhh so that explains how the coverup is so effective. There are Ninja Vampires running around killing people.

Good move adding them though, this show needs to just go crazy.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Drifter posted:

No, but...It's not viral, it's ... an infestation.

Seeing as how the worms absolutely destroy the internal organs of the person they've infested, a baby would either die, or turn and eat its way out of a womb.

There can't be some weird half measure. Not to mention the fact that the child's body wouldn't grow even if it lived through that transformation process.

...goddammit.

That makes no biological sense!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That girl running out of the store and surviving was the funniest thing. I wish we got more moments like that.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Noirex posted:

I feel like this show is turning out to be a vampire version of The Following.

Which means people are mostly hate watching the poo poo out of it just to see how much more stupid the protagonists can be every week.

Oh man I hope so. The Following was hilarious to watch while reading the thread.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I like how the kid and the hacker are fully onboard the 'they are vampires' train right away. Makes a nice break from the police who are just painfully hilarious to watch.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This show is seriously getting worse.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The incubation period moves at the speed of plot. But I think the show has tried to get across that you will become a vampire more quickly if you are drained dry, as opposed to suffering an incidental worm.

We're two episodes out from "army of vampires attack a gas station" and well into the total breakdown of society--it's literally too dangerous to walk on the street and has been for days--and characters are still sitting around having chats and ruminating about their personal lives. Or they're going off alone to go on quests of personal reflection. And we have to withstand Eph the Incredible Shithead who drives characters away by pulling rank as a CDC official, an organization that does not really exist at this point and he was made persona non grata from days ago. After an episode that was more of Eph's boring stupid personal life than ever.

This is not even touching on the multiple moron characters, like security guy who wants it to be on the record that he "disagrees" with destroying civilization but has nothing further to contribute.

The pacing of this show is miserable, it looked like they were all set to actually ramp things up with the encounter with Eichorst followed by the gas station episode, but somehow the show is now moving more slowly than ever. It feels like it's running up on significant budget constraints combined with just lousy writing all-around. It's not even fun to watch as a trainwreck, it's just kind of boring at this point. I think I'm done.

It's like everyone wakes up in the morning and has just forgotten about all the horrors that happened during the night. Whoever said that this is the most boring apocalypse ever was completely right.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That guy turning to shoot the other guy after he gave him the gun was really funny and even more funny that he missed.

It was a cool idea but it's been absolutely butchered by this point.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Why are there no new posts?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Have you ever seen The Walking Dead?

They're giving them a good run for their money though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Generic American posted:

Helix is, I think, technically worse, but as far as entertainment goes, I definitely enjoyed it more than The Strain. I mean, at least I could laugh at Helix and have a good time with how bad it was. The Strain, on the other hand, is just a painful slog with the occasional bright-spot that just gets buried beneath the poo poo before it can even breathe. :shrug:

Yeah agreed. Helix was way more entertaining than this.

• Locked thread