Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I'll give it a few more episodes, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I though it was weird they didn't mention that the doctor was an alcoholic until now.

This show is pretty dumb but I'll keep watching.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Drifter posted:

TO me, the funniest part is how apparently the master vampire shits over all the people he kills.

He's essentially a giant tick. All that blood has to go somewhere.

This show seems like silly horror fun even if it's not a masterpiece, so I'll keep watching.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

If you like the kind of vampires on this show and have already read the books I would suggest the David Wellington "Laura Caxton" series of novels. He does a similar thing where vampires are out and out monsters. His series is set in a world where people know about vampires, they just think they're extinct.

Yeah, needless to say, any vampire book/movie where the vampires aren't monsters that desperately need to suck human blood isn't worth reading. They work best as a sort of supernatural serial-killer analogue. True Blood gets a pass because the whole plot revolves around vampires suddenly not needing to be the human-killing monsters they previously were.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

D-Pad posted:

I've said it before, but I think the show is taking to long to get into the meat of the story and it might turn some viewers off. I can already see it in a few of the reactions in this thread. Trust me though, when it takes off it will take off. It should be next episode, but can't possibly be later than the one after that. If you are on the fence stick with it a little longer. How they handle the takeoff and consequences will determine if this show is worth it or not. I am a book fan obviously.

Ratings are good, no worries.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The fact that he's a pest exterminator in a show about a spreading vampire contagion gives us a pretty unsubtle hint as to what the character is going to be like. (Haven't read the books)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, I got the feeling Eph wasn't going to be reporting that to the hospital staff, they were just gonna burn the body and get the gently caress out of there.

As for his partner, well, we know this is a show about vampires, but it probably is quite a leap for a medical professional to go from "we must treat this mysterious epidemic" to "Holy gently caress we're going to become vampire slayers, kill and burn all the infected." Even if it is blatantly obvious the infected have turned into monsters.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
FYI ratings for The Strain have been very solid, and have even gone up slightly from prior weeks, so at least that shouldn't be a concern with this show.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Shouldn't about half of New York be infected by next episode, since vampires are now running amok through the streets and they apparently infect everyone they drain unless they deliberately smash the brain/spinal cord?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Also, book/TV writers seem slow to cotton on to the fact that they can't write characters as having been around during WWII anymore, unless they were children at the time. They have an excuse with Vampire Nazi guy, but Setrackian or whatever isn't believably in his 90s.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Rurea posted:

I'm not sure but I think there are a LOT of people in New York.

Well, ok, I was exaggerating, but if the disease spreads as exponentially as we're led to believe, our heroes would seem to be irreversibly hosed in a very short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

B.H. Facials posted:

I was under the impression that the longer you're a vampire you'll regain more of your former cognitive abilities as well as the ability to latch on to subway trains. I haven't read the books though so I really don't know.

From watching various vampire movies this what what I assumed as well, that the vampires are only crazy hunger-monsters when first turned and then later become more cool and collected, though having not read the books I could be wrong.

• Locked thread