Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Drifter posted:

Why did the vampire crush the gently caress out of the dude's head? Was it to hide the sucky marks? In the plane he didn't actually feed on anyone, then, did he? Just infected them all with worms, right?

And I kinda like the idea that one worm in your body grows large enough to become the 'master worm' and come out to feed. At least I'm assuming it's a worm, and not a sudden new appendage you somehow grow in your mouth. It's very similar to the giant hyper intelligent/evil immortal squid in your body Vamphyri in the Necroscope books. Kind of. Sorta, in a way.

In the book, there are six other Ancient vampires. They do not want to overload the world with vampires because of the geometric progression of infection, and the fear that vampires would quickly overwhelm their own food source. They crush the head after feeding so the newly infected don't rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

I think they do -- but if the brain/spine are destroyed, there's no way to reanimate. No CNS = no transformation.

If enough of the body is traumatically injured, the worms go looking for another host.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

I think (and honestly, I started reading the books after the premiere, because I was intrigued) the backstory is that

there are 7 Ancients (3 on the Old World and 3 in the New world), and 6 of them are happy being behind-the-scenes players. They control a lot of people and governments, they stay hidden and are perfectly happy to run things from obscurity.

The Master causing all the chaos is the 7th, and he's making a major power grab. He's broken the "truce" the other 6 have maintained for millennia. There's a brief mention of one of the Old World Ancients being killed in Bulgaria, and that is supposedly the work of the rogue one -- he wants to basically come out of the shadows and rule openly.

Then again, I am only about halfway through the second book, so...

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

If that guys eats the dog I am going to be really upset.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

The first book was a slow starter, as well.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Pron on VHS posted:

I was very excited for that last scene because I can't loving stand Sean Astin but it seems he may stick around a little longer in the show than he did in the book

Gonna cheer when that little weasel vamps out and starves.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Bert Roberge posted:

The entire trilogy should be called Ephraim gets cucked. Loses his son to Matt and then a vampire.

And loses Nora to Fet! :parrot:

Edwardian fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 31, 2014

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Jesus Christ.

The wet, glorpy sound of that stinger being pulled free during the autopsy of the pilot, along with the visual, made me gag.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Aw, gently caress. He ate the dog. :smith:

When does Fet show up and start kicking rear end?

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Acquilae posted:

An excellent start :unsmigghh:

Never has a smilie been so appropriate.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Oh, poo poo. Time for Jim to unburden himself and confess.

Smarmy little cocksucker.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Eph discovering his inner badass.

Temporarily, at least.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

GOD drat THESE AIRPLANES :byodame:

That's pretty much how I felt on my last flight from Vancouver to PHL.

Also, goodbye, dickhead neighbor! :unsmigghh:

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Gonna cheer when that lawyer lady dies.

Oh, God. Creepy little kid incoming. :ohdear:

Edwardian fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 4, 2014

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Most metal Pop-pop ever.

"Get the gasoline."

That had me gripped from the opening scenes.

drat.

I just looked at the clock and was shocked and pissed that it was over.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

I was more distracted by the fact that Ancel could talk. (Never mind that he managed to hold on to his humanity enough to send the kids away and tell her to go away.)

I thought once they grew the stinger, they could not speak, because all those organs were re-purposed.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

I have to go back and look at the books. I thought they communicated telepathically past a certain point of development.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I think at this point Eph doesn't trust that this problem can be fixed through normal channels. He's worried that if he reports what happened they will think he's crazy and lock him up for evaluation or something.

Jim's confession tipped him off to the fact that someone was engineering this.

He's suspicious of a greater conspiracy.

As far as he can tell, this is on purpose, and he can't trust anyone but Nora...and possibly Setrakian, since he seems to have more info.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Did they slow down the internet to 28.8 so that videos of the outbreak, when it occurs, aren't all over youtube or something? Is it just a matter of killing communication lines? What about, like, satellite internet? Or taking a video and walking it over the bridge?

People are easier to control when they are off-balance. Plus, they pay less attention to what's going on in the wide world when they have issues to deal with at home.

And a majority of people get all their news from the internet.

So, you're keeping them in the dark, restricting the flow of info and making sure they are too distracted to care about anything beyond their own personal sphere...

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

matrocious posted:

Daniel Day Lewis couldn't overshadow that hairpiece. It's all I stare at when that guy is on the screen unless something gross is happening. It's the most captivating inanimate object I've ever seen.

It's quite possibly sentient.

I did miss Fet being on-screen n the last ep. Hopefully they will correct that on this upcoming Sunday.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Dodecalypse posted:

Are we about to watch kids die

In the book, that lawyer bitch practically devours an entire loving neighborhood.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Nanny has had enough of this bullshit and is getting the gently caress OUT.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Drifter posted:

I thought somebody said there was a cabal of masters and this one ran away to the States to go rogue.

The other masters realized that it probably wasn't for the best to try to gently caress with their food population.

In the books, this is exactly right. The other six masters have run things from the shadows for millennia, but have never directly interfered. what the seventh -- youngest -- does with is naked power grab is a complete coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

The star remains Eichhorst, to me. That fucker manages creepy awesomely.

As far as I am concerned, he is the real Master, not the puppet-armed, Joker-smiled tall creeper.

• Locked thread