Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/15/justice/texas-jose-vargas-detained/

quote:

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and undocumented immigrant Jose Antonio Vargas suspected he wouldn't get out.

His fear came to fruition Tuesday morning when he was detained at a Texas airport while trying to pass through security en route to Los Angeles, said Ryan Eller, campaign director for Define American, a group Vargas founded in 2011.

Vargas was being questioned at a U.S Customs and Border Protection facility at the airport in McAllen, Eller said at a news conference.

Calling on President Barack Obama and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson to release the journalist-cum-immigration activist, Eller explained that Vargas, Define American and other groups traveled to McAllen to "stand in solidarity with and humanize the stories of the children and families fleeing the most dangerous regions of Central America."
Around noon ET, Eller tweeted that he wasn't leaving McAllen without Vargas.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection didn't immediately return a phone call and e-mail seeking information on Vargas' detention. Tania Chavez, an undocumented youth leader who met with Vargas recently and has accompanied him around the McAllen area, told CNN that he was detained because he did not have proper documentation.

Vargas wrote and directed "Documented," a film about the U.S. immigration debate and his life story. CNN aired it on June 29.

He told CNN on Sunday that he traveled to McAllen to document the plight of refugees.

"Because I don't have any ID besides my Filipino passport, it's going to be hard for me to actually get out of here at some point when I decide to get out of here in the next couple of days," he said.

Early Tuesday, Vargas tweeted that he was about to go through security at McAllen-Miller International Airport. Since outing himself as an undocumented immigrant three years ago, he says he has traveled extensively, visiting 40 states.

"I don't know what's going to happen," he tweeted, directing his followers to the Twitter handles for Define American and the University of Texas-Pan American's Minority Affairs Council.
Within minutes, the latter retweeted a photo of Vargas in handcuffs with the caption: "Here's a photo of (Vargas) in handcuffs, because the Border Patrol has nothing more pressing to do apparently."

In Politico last week, Vargas wrote a piece headlined "Trapped on the Border." The story documents how he went to McAllen to visit a shelter where undocumented immigrant children were being held. He also wanted to share his "story of coming to the United States as an unaccompanied minor from the Philippines," he wrote for Politico.

Once in McAllen, he spoke to Chavez, who expressed concern that he might not make it through the U.S. Customs and Border Protection checkpoints about 45 minutes outside McAllen.
"Even if you tell them you're a U.S. citizen, they will ask you follow-up questions if they don't believe you," Chavez told him, according to the Politico piece.

"In the last 24 hours I realize that, for an undocumented immigrant like me, getting out of a border town in Texas -- by plane or by land -- won't be easy. It might, in fact, be impossible," he wrote Friday.

Before he went to bed Monday, Vargas told Eller, "Our America is better than this. We're more humane. We're more compassionate. And we're fighting for a better America, a country we love but has yet to recognize us," the Define American campaign director recalled Tuesday.

At age 12, Vargas came to the United States from the Philippines in 1993 with a man he'd never met but whom his aunt and a family friend introduced as his uncle, Vargas wrote in a 2011 column for The New York Times Magazine.

Once in the States, he lived with his grandfather, a security guard, and grandmother, a food server. Both were naturalized American citizens who had been supporting Vargas and his mother since Vargas was 3. He'd later learn that his grandfather had paid $4,500 for this purported uncle -- who was a coyote, or people smuggler -- to bring Vargas to the United States under a fake passport and name.

"After I arrived in Mountain View, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area, I entered sixth grade and quickly grew to love my new home, family and culture. I discovered a passion for language, though it was hard to learn the difference between formal English and American slang," Vargas wrote for the magazine.

One of his earliest memories, he wrote, was a schoolmate asking him, "What's up?" He replied, "The sky."

Vargas says he didn't know he was in the country illegally until he was 16, when he applied for a driver's license and was told his green card was bogus. He went home and asked his grandfather if that was true, according to the magazine story.

"Lolo was a proud man, and I saw the shame on his face as he told me he purchased the card, along with other fake documents, for me. 'Don't show it to other people,' he warned," Vargas wrote.

Vargas has written for numerous publications as a journalist, including The New Yorker. He interned for The Seattle Times and worked for The Huffington Post, the San Francisco Chronicle and the Philadelphia Daily News.

In 2008, he was part of the Washington Post team that won the Pulitzer Prize for its breaking news coverage of the previous year's shooting rampage at Virginia Tech. Vargas got bylines on two of the nine stories the Pulitzer board cited.

"Over the past 14 years, I've graduated from high school and college and built a career as a journalist, interviewing some of the most famous people in the country," he wrote in his 2011 magazine piece. "On the surface, I've created a good life. I've lived the American dream. But I am still an undocumented immigrant."

Don't really have much to add, except that CBP domestic checkpoints are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Did he apply for DACA or not?

If he's applied, he'll likely get released once someone high up enough refuses to prosecute. If not, he's in genuine trouble and extremely dumb.

e: never mind, already released as per CNN. Well, that was quick.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Adar posted:

Did he apply for DACA or not?

I think he's too old, although he's 33 so he can't have missed the cutoff by much.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Okay, read up on him a bit and yeah as the most visible undocumented guy in the country he's protected enough to get away with that. If anyone reading this is in the same situation or remotely close, do not do what he just did. I say this as an ex-nonprofit immigration lawyer: there are ways to practice civil disobedience that don't have permanent consequences, but this is not one of them and he was incredibly lucky.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Adar posted:

Okay, read up on him a bit and yeah as the most visible undocumented guy in the country he's protected enough to get away with that. If anyone reading this is in the same situation or remotely close, do not do what he just did. I say this as an ex-nonprofit immigration lawyer: there are ways to practice civil disobedience that don't have permanent consequences, but this is not one of them and he was incredibly lucky.

I don't think he had much of a choice. They've been setting up border patrol checkpoints north of the RGV lately, which limits the options on how to leave here. Like Vargas said, undocumented people are pretty much trapped.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Cercadelmar posted:

I don't think he had much of a choice. They've been setting up border patrol checkpoints north of the RGV lately, which limits the options on how to leave here. Like Vargas said, undocumented people are pretty much trapped.

That's the point, we are trying to detect them and deport them. Of course, it is stupid that we set up checkpoints when we could just make it impossible to get a job or enroll in school as an illegal immigrant, which would wipe out the problem neatly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

on the left posted:

That's the point, we are trying to detect them and deport them. Of course, it is stupid that we set up checkpoints when we could just make it impossible to get a job or enroll in school as an illegal immigrant, which would wipe out the problem neatly.

It's sort of a bullshit opinion that we should deny kids an education because their parents crossed a line on a map without permission.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
You know the illegal immigration problem is getting serious media attention when The Atlantic starts publishing anti-immigration articles:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/07/an-immigration-crisis-we-brought-on-ourselves/374491/#comments

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

It's sort of a bullshit opinion that we should deny kids an education because their parents crossed a line on a map without permission.

The better we get at stopping the parents, the less and less we will have the problem in the first place. Also, presumably there is education in the country we are sending them back to.

It's a slap in the face that I have to pay thousands of dollars to bring my spouse over while USCIS refuses to enforce the immigration laws we have.

on the left fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 16, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

sincx posted:

You know the illegal immigration problem is getting serious media attention when The Atlantic starts publishing anti-immigration articles:

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/07/an-immigration-crisis-we-brought-on-ourselves/374491/#comments

Let's check out that who's in that byline there...

Oh.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

on the left posted:

It's a slap in the face that I have to pay thousands of dollars to bring my spouse over while USCIS refuses to enforce the immigration laws we have.

The real slap in the face is that you have to pay thousands of dollars to bring your spouse over.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

The real slap in the face is that you have to pay thousands of dollars to bring your spouse over.

Yeah instead of complaining try cheating the system like everybody else until you have the following train of thought:

"oh living life as an undocumented immigrant is actually worse than a one time fee for residency?" "oh how bad and uncool i have been for thinking migrant workers and unaccompanied minors get a free ride"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

on the left posted:

The better we get at stopping the parents, the less and less we will have the problem in the first place. Also, presumably there is education in the country we are sending them back to.

I agree, anyone who shows up to the border should be allowed in legally without having to pay thousands of dollars. America is a nation of immigrants and should remain open to all comers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: nm

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Chantilly Say posted:

I agree, anyone who shows up to the border should be allowed in legally without having to pay thousands of dollars. America is a nation of immigrants and should remain open to all comers.

It's nice to see republicans have run with the idea of accelerationism to bring down the welfare system.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah instead of complaining try cheating the system like everybody else until you have the following train of thought:

"oh living life as an undocumented immigrant is actually worse than a one time fee for residency?" "oh how bad and uncool i have been for thinking migrant workers and unaccompanied minors get a free ride"

It's bullshit that we treat illegal immigrants with kid gloves, but come down ruthlessly on people who try their best to follow the laws. H1Bs are kicked out of the country with 7 days notice while illegal immigrants can just Costanza their way into staying permanently.

on the left fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 16, 2014

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Civil disobedience sort of loses its punch when all you prove is that when you're famous laws don't apply to you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

Right, paying thousands of dollars makes sense, until you realize that the vast majority of that money goes to support an insane and xenophobic bureaucracy that is under a lot of pressure to turn as many people away as possible, even if they are qualified.

If they appointed me to redesign the system from scratch, I'd make the whole thing project-based. Want to become part of American society? Then make some real contributions to it such as a few thousand hours of community service or helping rebuild the country's crumbling infrastructure. Immigrants of past generations built the country from the ground up, today's prospective immigrants can help expand and maintain it to earn their place in it. The government can pay them a fair wage during their employment and in the end reward them with residency and citizenship.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Right, paying thousands of dollars makes sense, until you realize that the vast majority of that money goes to support an insane and xenophobic bureaucracy that is under a lot of pressure to turn as many people away as possible, even if they are qualified.

If they appointed me to redesign the system from scratch, I'd make the whole thing project-based. Want to become part of American society? Then make some real contributions to it such as a few thousand hours of community service or helping rebuild the country's crumbling infrastructure. Immigrants of past generations built the country from the ground up, today's prospective immigrants can help expand and maintain it to earn their place in it. The government can pay them a fair wage during their employment and in the end reward them with residency and citizenship.

Even if you have relatively open borders for workers, you want to restrict who can come in and you want to be able to enforce those laws. Otherwise you end up with situations like my cousin from Guatemala, who is a literal rapist (with one confirmed rape of a family member) residing illegally in the US. He got picked up for a DUI and through gross negligence of the US government at multiple levels, he was put right back on the street.

No government wants people like him, and all immigration systems should be designed to catch and deport people like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

Actually the whole thing with USCIS is that they're self funded by those fees - they didn't stop work during the shutdown but they're chronically understaffed.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

on the left posted:

It's bullshit that we treat illegal immigrants with kid gloves, but come down ruthlessly on people who try their best to follow the laws. H1Bs are kicked out of the country with 7 days notice while illegal immigrants can just Costanza their way into staying permanently.

The alien visa situations combined with the massive massive [up to 20 years] backlog in green card processing for legal aliens and relatives of us citizens is crazy.

I've had friends who were here for almost 10 years waiting for their green card until they got laid off or just gave up and moved back to their home country. People who paid 100,000's worth of taxes over the years while here in the US, they get a gap in employment or can't find a job to fill the gap asap, and boom, sorry your green card application is toast, sorry for the multi-year wait but if you do come back you'll have to start all over again.

No one is even mentioning this with "immigration reform" currently. The current system is overloaded with legal aliens as it is, now you want to add a few million illegals in addition to the current caseload? I mean.. holy crap. They'll need to expand USCIS by an order of magnitude.

A quick fix would be to have work visas have a maximum of 3 years, after that you get an automatic green card. Thanks for paying into the system for 3 years and being a decent person contributing to the country, welcome to the US. That would kill a lot of visa abuses you see rampant in the system. Many of the top H1B users are Indian Tech firms hiring Indian nationals to work in their US offices knowing they can get away with absolute murder since their workforce is under constant threat of being sent home if they don't do what they are told... although that's honestly the case with most visas, even though most of them are portable and allow you to change jobs.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 16, 2014

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

on the left posted:

I don't agree with the idea that these people are a problem to be solved. We can chat anecdotes all day, but fact is that most undocumented citizens come looking to find work and stay out of trouble.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

on the left posted:

Maybe no one should get kicked out of the country, particularly since H1B visas are a scam to give employers more power anyway...?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Cercadelmar posted:

I don't agree with the idea that these people are a problem to be solved. We can chat anecdotes all day, but fact is that most undocumented citizens come looking to find work and stay out of trouble.

Immigration reform shouldn't be done by choosing to ignore immigration law, and when you have illegal immigration, you give up the ability to control who lives in your country.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

on the left posted:

Immigration reform shouldn't be done by choosing to ignore immigration law, and when you have illegal immigration, you give up the ability to control who lives in your country.

The problem is that legal immigration is practically impossible. The departments are laughably underfunded and the queues are decades long. This is even if you're the "right" kind of immigrant. Our immigration laws are fundamentally broken and our immigration system is thoroughly ridiculous.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

on the left posted:

Who do you think should live in our country?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The problem is that legal immigration is practically impossible. The departments are laughably underfunded and the queues are decades long. This is even if you're the "right" kind of immigrant. Our immigration laws are fundamentally broken and our immigration system is thoroughly ridiculous.

The places where the queues are decades long are places where we've already taken in a disproportionate amount of immigrants, so even if we vastly expanded immigration, there's no real reason to cut lines in those countries. Immigration to the US shouldn't be just comprised of China, India, and Mexico.

Cercadelmar posted:

Who do you think should live in our country?

People with exceptional skills and people from countries with roughly reciprocal immigration policies towards the US. If your country denies visas to US citizens, prepare to see your petitions denied.

Also, in general, we should put people with college degrees at the front of the line. It should be basically impossible to immigrate to the US without a high school education, and we should be proactively stealing graduates from countries who invested a lot of money in making them.

on the left fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 16, 2014

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The problem with open immigration is that it would be used to drive wages even further down. I don't think that the average American can compete on wages with someone from another country with the cost of our education being as high as it is. But we should vastly increase the amount of people allowed in. I like the idea of having to invest in the country in some way, whether financially or with your time. This would allow so called "non-skilled" labor into the country in a fair manner, instead of denying them outright. While also helping to fix our infastructure. America is nowhere near full, the midwest has plenty of space.

Oh, and eliminate any kind of visa that doesn't lead to citizenship (and for that express purpose). Unless there's a way to stop funds being sent out of the country.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
I think that's indentured servitude you're proposing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

on the left posted:

People with exceptional skills and people from countries with roughly reciprocal immigration policies towards the US. If your country denies visas to US citizens, prepare to see your petitions denied.

Also, in general, we should put people with college degrees at the front of the line. It should be basically impossible to immigrate to the US without a high school education, and we should be proactively stealing graduates from countries who invested a lot of money in making them.

Give me your skilled, your suburban,
Your huddled masses yearning to take classes,
The nerdy refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the clueless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my stamp beside the classroom door!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Cercadelmar posted:

I think that's indentured servitude you're proposing.

Working a productive job for the US Government is indentured servitude? If Sweden offered road work for citizenship, I'd jump at the chance. (Do I really have to specify that they'd be paid? If so, yes. Of course they would.)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Talmonis posted:

The problem with open immigration is that it would be used to drive wages even further down. I don't think that the average American can compete on wages with someone from another country with the cost of our education being as high as it is. But we should vastly increase the amount of people allowed in. I like the idea of having to invest in the country in some way, whether financially or with your time. This would allow so called "non-skilled" labor into the country in a fair manner, instead of denying them outright. While also helping to fix our infastructure. America is nowhere near full, the midwest has plenty of space.

Oh, and eliminate any kind of visa that doesn't lead to citizenship (and for that express purpose). Unless there's a way to stop funds being sent out of the country.

Realtalk, a good immigration proposal that would be feasible is to allow cities/states to petition for their own allotment of visas. Anyone taking them would be required to maintain tax residence in the area for 3-5 years (covert to green card after). To make it more interesting, the people petitioning for these visas would be allowed to set their own requirements and national quotas.

Something like this would produce some impressive statistics on the economics of immigration if a reasonable number of localities took up the offer.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Talmonis posted:

Working a productive job for the US Government is indentured servitude? If Sweden offered road work for citizenship, I'd jump at the chance. (Do I really have to specify that they'd be paid? If so, yes. Of course they would.)

There's no way to guarantee this wouldn't just be another method of exploiting people desperate to emigrate. One of the biggest problems with how immigrant labor is used in America is the fact that without citizenship, people feel unable to defend themselves from abusive working environments. A common story around here is workers being threatened with deportation if they speak to the authorities about the conditions they work under.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Cercadelmar posted:

There's no way to guarantee this wouldn't just be another method of exploiting people desperate to emigrate. One of the biggest problems with how immigrant labor is used in America is the fact that without citizenship, people feel unable to defend themselves from abusive working environments. A common story around here is workers being threatened with deportation if they speak to the authorities about the conditions they work under.

Under the private sector, I absolutely agree with you. But if it's a Federal (not state, as they can't be trusted) government program, it could be strictly regulated and handled properly.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Talmonis posted:

Under the private sector, I absolutely agree with you. But if it's a Federal (not state, as they can't be trusted) government program, it could be strictly regulated and handled properly.

Not a very feasible idea. It would only take workers out of places dependent on immigrants, like agriculture and retail, and put them into infrastructure projects that are already done by the private sector.

Also I don't see where women and children belong in the utopian transcontinental railroad that's been described.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

The places where the queues are decades long are places where we've already taken in a disproportionate amount of immigrants, so even if we vastly expanded immigration, there's no real reason to cut lines in those countries. Immigration to the US shouldn't be just comprised of China, India, and Mexico.

Well actually there's a pretty good reason why China and India should ideally be where a large part of your immigrants come from.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Cercadelmar posted:

Not a very feasible idea. It would only take workers out of places dependent on immigrants, like agriculture and retail, and put them into infrastructure projects that are already done by the private sector.

Also I don't see where women and children belong in the utopian transcontinental railroad that's been described.

Perhaps those places should pay a proper wage, instead of relying on the desperate and afraid. Yes prices would go up, but they should go up. Subsidies should be shifted from corn and tobacco to more nutritious crops (never going to happen of course, like the rest of this).

Women tend to work in America unless you're rich enough to live on a single income and have kids, or destitute enough to warrant welfare. Ideally, we aren't immigrating people who can't contribute to society. Workers, no matter how "unskilled" contribute to society just fine, before someone thinks I'm being some kind of monster.

Children go to school in whatever local district they're in. Breaking up families is inhuman.

It may not be feasible, but nothing is in the current climate of jingoist hatred and nativism.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

I think the people with the drive and ability to get into the country illegally and stay here illegally are way better potential citizens.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

Perhaps those places should pay a proper wage, instead of relying on the desperate and afraid. Yes prices would go up, but they should go up. Subsidies should be shifted from corn and tobacco to more nutritious crops (never going to happen of course, like the rest of this).

Women tend to work in America unless you're rich enough to live on a single income and have kids, or destitute enough to warrant welfare. Ideally, we aren't immigrating people who can't contribute to society. Workers, no matter how "unskilled" contribute to society just fine, before someone thinks I'm being some kind of monster.

Children go to school in whatever local district they're in. Breaking up families is inhuman.

It may not be feasible, but nothing is in the current climate of jingoist hatred and nativism.

If we had the political capital to accomplish any of this, we could just remove all restrictions on immigration.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

SedanChair posted:

If we had the political capital to accomplish any of this, we could just remove all restrictions on immigration.

But why would we remove all restrictions? That could easily collapse the social programs we have, and drive wages into the dirt with a massive influx of cheap labor. Hell, you could have China or India up and send a few million people over to gently caress with the political system in their favor. Nations would start sending their most destitute, their criminals and their disabled, simply to be rid of them. Restrictions do have a purpose, even if the current purpose is a lovely one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Talmonis posted:

I never mentioned price hikes, I think you've misinterpreted why I think this is a dumb idea.

My problem is that the government doesn't have a shortage of skilled people willing to do work on infrastructure, or whatever you're proposing. The reason infrastructure isn't maintained is because of a lack of funding, not labor.

on the left posted:

What makes your spouse so special that they deserve citizenship more than the people already living and working here?

• Locked thread