Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Cercadelmar posted:

I never mentioned price hikes, I think you've misinterpreted why I think this is a dumb idea.

My problem is that the government doesn't have a shortage of skilled people willing to do work on infrastructure, or whatever you're proposing. The reason infrastructure isn't maintained is because of a lack of funding, not labor.

Gotcha. Yeah it isn't currently feasible to fund infastructure projects, but it would be if we cut military spending to a reasonable first world level, and raised capital gains taxes.

So you know, fantasy land. Depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Talmonis posted:

But why would we remove all restrictions? That could easily collapse the social programs we have, and drive wages into the dirt with a massive influx of cheap labor. Hell, you could have China or India up and send a few million people over to gently caress with the political system in their favor. Nations would start sending their most destitute, their criminals and their disabled, simply to be rid of them. Restrictions do have a purpose, even if the current purpose is a lovely one.

For some reason some ignore that the countries with excellent welfare and social programs universally have extremely strict immigration policies. Almost as if the two go hand in hand.

mdemone posted:

Give me your skilled, your suburban,
Your huddled masses yearning to take classes,
The nerdy refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the clueless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my stamp beside the classroom door!

It's like we no longer need millions of unskilled laborers to exploit in factories that don't exist anymore. Is it really people's argument that we need to forever keep the immigration policy of the early 1900s, because that seems kinda dumb.

Oh no millions of people are no longer coming here to be worked to death, crushed in a random machine, or turned into chili, the horror!

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Talmonis posted:

Gotcha. Yeah it isn't currently feasible to fund infastructure projects, but it would be if we cut military spending to a reasonable first world level, and raised capital gains taxes.

Actually, it's entirely feasible to fund infrastructure with or without cuts to military spending, there just isn't the will.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

on the left posted:

People with exceptional skills and people from countries with roughly reciprocal immigration policies towards the US. If your country denies visas to US citizens, prepare to see your petitions denied.

Also, in general, we should put people with college degrees at the front of the line. It should be basically impossible to immigrate to the US without a high school education, and we should be proactively stealing graduates from countries who invested a lot of money in making them.

This does create a potential moral problem of actively brain draining poor nations.

Cercadelmar posted:

What makes your spouse so special that they deserve citizenship more than the people already living and working here?

The only moral immigration is my immigration

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Talmonis posted:

Other first world military spending is subsidized by our own (specifically the Navy but also any other conflicts in which the US and Europe are involved).

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Cercadelmar posted:

What makes your spouse so special that they deserve citizenship more than the people already living and working here?

While I may not agree with on the left's stance on immigration, attacking his wife is uncalled for. It is absolutely understandable that he and his loved one would be upset that she is lawfully trying to enter the country and is stuck behind bureaucracy while immigrants who have illegally crossed the border are apparently being bussed to different towns in different states without the town's knowledge ahead of time and immigrants are not even required to attend their deportation trial.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

tsa posted:

For some reason some ignore that the countries with excellent welfare and social programs universally have extremely strict immigration policies. Almost as if the two go hand in hand.

It's like we no longer need millions of unskilled laborers to exploit in factories that don't exist anymore. Is it really people's argument that we need to forever keep the immigration policy of the early 1900s, because that seems kinda dumb.

Oh no millions of people are no longer coming here to be worked to death, crushed in a random machine, or turned into chili, the horror!

What do you suggest should be done about how we handle immigrants today?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

While I may not agree with on the left's stance on immigration, attacking his wife is uncalled for. It is absolutely understandable that he and his loved one would be upset that she is lawfully trying to enter the country and is stuck behind bureaucracy while immigrants who have illegally crossed the border are apparently being bussed to different towns in different states without the town's knowledge ahead of time and immigrants are not even required to attend their deportation trial.

What bothers me is how much he disregards the struggle of being undocumented in America today. It isn't "Costanzaing" around like he described, and the fact that he'd say that just makes him seem ignorant of the realities of immigrant life today.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

There was a story on MSNBC last night about a girl who went through Mexico to get to the US and was violently raped repeatedly on her travels here. Somehow I think his wife would prefer bureaucracy.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

They're not informed ahead of time because of the potential violence and political consequences that the right will shower them with.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

on the left posted:

The better we get at stopping the parents, the less and less we will have the problem in the first place. Also, presumably there is education in the country we are sending them back to.

It's a slap in the face that I have to pay thousands of dollars to bring my spouse over while USCIS refuses to enforce the immigration laws we have.

They deport tens of thousands of illegal immigrants per year, more than Bush ever did. If you have a problem with the unfairness of the law that makes it arbitrarily difficult, get mad at the law.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

No it's pretty called for when he's basically Lou Dobbs.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Cercadelmar posted:

Because a spouse of a US Citizen has the highest preference category of any immigrant according to USCIS. Essentially they go first in line for green card processing and in some cases can have the residency requirement for US citizenship reduced from 5 years to 3.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Big K of Justice posted:

Because a spouse of a US Citizen has the highest preference category of any immigrant according to USCIS. Essentially they go first in line for green card processing and in some cases can have the residency requirement for US citizenship reduced from 5 years to 3.

Not even this is a sure thing. My friend married his Canadian wife, and the agent involved in their case screwed them and she's not allowed in the country, and she already has a degree, and it wasn't like they had any kind of contingency plan, they assumed it would be a normal process considering this magical 'preference'.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nonsense posted:

Not even this is a sure thing. My friend married his Canadian wife, and the agent involved in their case screwed them and she's not allowed in the country, and she already has a degree, and it wasn't like they had any kind of contingency plan, they assumed it would be a normal process considering this magical 'preference'.

It's actually easier if you don't marry them until they come into the US, at least in terms of providing evidence to give them a visa.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Cercadelmar posted:

What bothers me is how much he disregards the struggle of being undocumented in America today. It isn't "Costanzaing" around like he described, and the fact that he'd say that just makes him seem ignorant of the realities of immigrant life today.

I quite intimately know a number of illegal immigrants, and my experience with this has really soured me to the way its handled in the US. In my cousin's case, the very least they could do is deport him when he got picked up for DUI, or at least do some work to discover he's committed some major crimes back in Guatemala, but both of those have been made impossible to do by well-meaning but ignorant activists and politicians.

Tezzor posted:

They deport tens of thousands of illegal immigrants per year, more than Bush ever did. If you have a problem with the unfairness of the law that makes it arbitrarily difficult, get mad at the law.

Wow, literally thousands of illegal immigrants, out of the millions in the US. Good job Obama.

With minor work, we could make it extremely difficult to be an illegal immigrant here. Simply following up on mismatched social security cards filed at businesses would allow us to catch tons of illegal immigrants.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Nonsense posted:

Every time I deal with the USCIS I fly everything across a trusted immigration law firm or two, even for "simple" matters. One wrong answer or something done out of procedure can get everything undone or worse get you subject to a multi-year ban from the US... I've seen a simple mistake spiral way out of control.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

tsa posted:

For some reason some ignore that the countries with excellent welfare and social programs universally have extremely strict immigration policies. Almost as if the two go hand in hand

This is why it's significantly easier to get into Canada legally than it is the US?

I think the effects of allowing essentially unlimited legal immigration are overstated. There would be political problems with maintaining good public services, but I don't think there would be significant practical problems. Wages might stagnate, but if there are good public services I don't think that's that big of a problem.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

This is why it's significantly easier to get into Canada legally than it is the US?

It's easier to buy a permanent residency to Canada but that doesn't help poor people that much.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

on the left posted:

Wow, literally thousands of illegal immigrants, out of the millions in the US. Good job Obama.

With minor work, we could make it extremely difficult to be an illegal immigrant here. Simply following up on mismatched social security cards filed at businesses would allow us to catch tons of illegal immigrants.

So you want to deport 10-12 million people or at least make their lives hell? There'd be a whole neighborhood in my city that was suddenly mostly depopulated(not like it'd happen here anyways, you leave out the part a lot of undocumented people live in sanctuary cities where the good deal of legal citizens also don't want them deported or their lives made harder)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

So you want to deport 10-12 million people or at least make their lives hell? There'd be a whole neighborhood in my city that was suddenly mostly depopulated(not like it'd happen here anyways, you leave out the part a lot of undocumented people live in sanctuary cities where the good deal of legal citizens also don't want them deported or their lives made harder)

Just start enforcing the laws as written (i.e. you can't employ someone without working rights), and let the problem take care of itself.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

on the left posted:

Just start enforcing the laws as written (i.e. you can't employ someone without working rights), and let the problem take care of itself.

But does this come with legal residency for everyone already here?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

But does this come with legal residency for everyone already here?

Why should it?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I agree with on the left. Immigrants are subhuman scum and we should be setting shrapnel landminds along with poisoned water bottles along the border. Perhaps, some sort of, how can I put it... final solution may be in order as well? Any path to citizenship is obviously one to many, they're all taking our jobs anyways right?! See, I too get my opinions from freerepublic dot com.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mercury_Storm posted:

I agree with on the left. Immigrants are subhuman scum and we should be setting shrapnel landminds along with poisoned water bottles along the border. Perhaps, some sort of, how can I put it... final solution may be in order as well? Any path to citizenship is obviously one to many, they're all taking our jobs anyways right?! See, I too get my opinions from freerepublic dot com.

2/10, didn't mention the tire fire wall.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

computer parts posted:

2/10, didn't mention the tire fire wall.

Well that's just sort of assumed, isn't it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

Why dont we start by ensuring no underage college students drink first. After all, its the law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Expel everyone who has ever smoked weed or gone over the speed limit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Execute anyone who has ever received or given oral sex in a state that has never had its sodomy laws officially voided or repealed.

THE LAW.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

President trying to follow the law, people say he's breaking it, the kids will be sent back to their nation's, but the anger persists because of the EGO of the government to attempt to house these children somewhere for a short period, when I BET the government is putting these monsters into ARE SCHOOLS INFECTING ARE KIDS

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

evilweasel posted:

Why dont we start by ensuring no underage college students drink first. After all, its the law.

It's probably a bad idea to reinforce the idea that employers can casually break labor laws through the regular course of business and get away with it. Nobody here would argue that companies using unpaid interns was a practice that should be tolerated on a similar scale as underage drinking, where everybody does it and only a few people get light punishments that can be chalked up to the cost of doing business.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

It's probably a bad idea to reinforce the idea that employers can casually break labor laws through the regular course of business and get away with it. Nobody here would argue that companies using unpaid interns was a practice that should be tolerated on a similar scale as underage drinking, where everybody does it and only a few people get light punishments that can be chalked up to the cost of doing business.

Maybe if we arrested them when they had a beer at 20 they would respect the law even more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

We have to protect undocumented workers, by barring them from the labor market until they starve or leave their home.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

evilweasel posted:

We have to protect undocumented workers, by barring them from the labor market until they starve or leave their home.

What's the point of even having immigration laws if we not only allow illegal immigrants to stay, but aggressively protect the right of employers to hire them? The US government doesn't even try that hard to protect the jobs of recent college graduates, as I am sure quite a few posters here will bitterly understand.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

What's the point of even having immigration laws if we not only allow illegal immigrants to stay, but aggressively protect the right of employers to hire them? The US government doesn't even try that hard to protect the jobs of recent college graduates, as I am sure quite a few posters here will bitterly understand.

To answer seriously for once: I don't believe we should have them. So I'd agree there's no point, my conclusion is just very different. Even if we 'should' have them, I view violating them like speeding: you've got to have A speed limit but most of the violations are something nobody does or should seriously care about.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

evilweasel posted:

To answer seriously for once: I don't believe we should have them.

We should absolutely have immigration laws, even if immigration was more or less unrestricted. There are people you don't want in the country at any costs, especially when there's a very real phenomenon of countries exporting their crime and other social problems to the US.

If you seriously want to see something resembling open borders, the realistic way to get it done is to negotiate reciprocal labor freedom agreements with other countries.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Having lovely laws that aren't properly enforced isn't a solution.
Isn't that the status quo?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

on the left posted:

Why should it?

Because it's the pragmatic thing do? Like these people live here, work here and are part of their community. Basically you want to encourage 10-15,000 people of my 135-140,000 person city to self-deport?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I think on the left is right. After all, if a sudden flood of stories about Central American immigrants managed to springboard illegal immigration to the most important issue for 1 in 6 Americans, then it must be important.

(No prize if you can guess what those people probably feel on the issue)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
How about instead of deporting people and then fixing the immigration system you fix the immigration system and then work with people to actually be legally in the country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

We should absolutely have immigration laws, even if immigration was more or less unrestricted. There are people you don't want in the country at any costs, especially when there's a very real phenomenon of countries exporting their crime and other social problems to the US.

If you seriously want to see something resembling open borders, the realistic way to get it done is to negotiate reciprocal labor freedom agreements with other countries.

I consider "you have a criminal record a mile long" more an exception for a new law to handle than a justification for our whole dumb system.

We got where we are by stealing everyone willing to make the journey and I would like to continue robbing the rest of the world of everyone with a shred of motivation.

• Locked thread