Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

Immigration reform shouldn't be done by choosing to ignore immigration law, and when you have illegal immigration, you give up the ability to control who lives in your country.

I think the people with the drive and ability to get into the country illegally and stay here illegally are way better potential citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

Just start enforcing the laws as written (i.e. you can't employ someone without working rights), and let the problem take care of itself.

Why dont we start by ensuring no underage college students drink first. After all, its the law.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Expel everyone who has ever smoked weed or gone over the speed limit.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Execute anyone who has ever received or given oral sex in a state that has never had its sodomy laws officially voided or repealed.

THE LAW.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

It's probably a bad idea to reinforce the idea that employers can casually break labor laws through the regular course of business and get away with it. Nobody here would argue that companies using unpaid interns was a practice that should be tolerated on a similar scale as underage drinking, where everybody does it and only a few people get light punishments that can be chalked up to the cost of doing business.

Maybe if we arrested them when they had a beer at 20 they would respect the law even more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

We have to protect undocumented workers, by barring them from the labor market until they starve or leave their home.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

What's the point of even having immigration laws if we not only allow illegal immigrants to stay, but aggressively protect the right of employers to hire them? The US government doesn't even try that hard to protect the jobs of recent college graduates, as I am sure quite a few posters here will bitterly understand.

To answer seriously for once: I don't believe we should have them. So I'd agree there's no point, my conclusion is just very different. Even if we 'should' have them, I view violating them like speeding: you've got to have A speed limit but most of the violations are something nobody does or should seriously care about.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

We should absolutely have immigration laws, even if immigration was more or less unrestricted. There are people you don't want in the country at any costs, especially when there's a very real phenomenon of countries exporting their crime and other social problems to the US.

If you seriously want to see something resembling open borders, the realistic way to get it done is to negotiate reciprocal labor freedom agreements with other countries.

I consider "you have a criminal record a mile long" more an exception for a new law to handle than a justification for our whole dumb system.

We got where we are by stealing everyone willing to make the journey and I would like to continue robbing the rest of the world of everyone with a shred of motivation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

You shouldn't do it for the same reason we shouldn't tell companies "Every 5 years we will have a tax evasion amnesty where you can settle with the government for 10% of what you owe".

That they owe us billions of dollars? They even have billions of dollars?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Agreed, each illegal immigrant who owes the united states $100k or more will be deported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

If there were even a snowball's chance that we would actually start enforcing the immigration laws, this would be a popular plan. Unfortunately people have caught on that amnesty is a never-ending thing once you start. The people pushing for amnesty have no plans to prevent the need for future amnesties.

How much tax revenue would we lose? I think if you're here for five years illegally you stay is a perfectly fine approach to future amnesties.

• Locked thread