Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is Izzy

He's a 3 year old Siamese that we've had for two years. I love this cat, he's sweet, loving, and gets along great with our other cats. He's also a playful jerk, will crawl up into my lap, purr like a chainsaw and then attack my face before running off only to come back and do it again. I don't think I've ever had such a great cat in all my life but he's stressing me out tremendously.
He pees on the carpet constantly. The same space, twice a week at least no matter what we do. He's also hitting our entertainment center and I found dry pee all over my a/v receiver.
We've taken him to the vet, he got a clean bill of health, no bladder issues at all. Nevertheless we put him on a prescription diet. This didn't change things. So we changed out his food again and again with no change. He and the other two cats have 4 enormous litter boxes, each with a different brand of litter. He still pees on the rug. I don't know what else to do, he keeps peeing. We finally moved our furniture around to block his spot and he peed on the front of the couch we moved over there.

I don't know what to do. In January we are moving to a brand new complex, we will be the first tenant in the unit with brand new carpet. My girlfriend will also be the property manager of this complex. We can not have a rug-destroying cat. I need help. I need suggestions. I can't get rid of this guy and locking him in a cage or bathroom 3/4 of the day is cruel.

Help me, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Have you tried putting a box on the spot he keeps revisiting to pee on?

Have you tried soaking the peed on areas with enzymatic cleaners like Nature's Miracle?

Is he fixed?

Are there cats outside in the neighborhood?

Have you gone back to your vet/gotten a second medical opinion?

Have you considered anti-inflammatory supplements/ or anti-stress supplements?

For some cats, cat stress = inflamed urethra = inappropriate peeing. It's difficult to get a clear sign of a medical issue if there's no blood in the urine.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE
Have you tried Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter? This did wonders v for my cat with issues. Do you clean the places he pees with an enzymatic cleanser? I also like this to read through to maybe give you some ideas. http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_resources/brochure_housesoiling.cfm

hhgtrillian fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 16, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pandaid posted:

Have you tried putting a box on the spot he keeps revisiting to pee on?

Have you tried soaking the peed on areas with enzymatic cleaners like Nature's Miracle?

Is he fixed?

Are there cats outside in the neighborhood?

Have you gone back to your vet/gotten a second medical opinion?

Have you considered anti-inflammatory supplements/ or anti-stress supplements?

For some cats, cat stress = inflamed urethra = inappropriate peeing. It's difficult to get a clear sign of a medical issue if there's no blood in the urine.

I've poured two whole bottles on that spot over the last 6 months.
He is fixed. We live on the second floor, there are few strays. There are dogs on the other side of the building but he never sees them. We have been to two vets, all his tests come back fine. I can't see how he's stressed, if I have to vacuum I gather the cats up, close them in the bedroom so they don't get traumatized by the noise. He just loafs around all loving day.

DLAO
Dec 20, 2004
OP, did you steal my cats???

On a serious note, has there been any changes? Has he always grown up with these other two cats? Is this a NEW thing (the peeing) or something that he's always done?

Is he peeing or spraying to mark territory?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DLAO posted:

OP, did you steal my cats???

On a serious note, has there been any changes? Has he always grown up with these other two cats? Is this a NEW thing (the peeing) or something that he's always done?

Is he peeing or spraying to mark territory?

I got a black one too!

We've been in this apartment for 14 months, these three cats have lived together for two years now. The cats almost never fight, when they do it's pretty obvious play fighting. And it's just this one spot over and over, we haven't found any pee anywhere else.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How many litter boxes do you have? There may have been a litter box dispute, and Izzy's just going, "gently caress, i'll just piss here".

Put a small litter box in the location he's pissing, put Cat Attract in the box. Get a new bigger box, put it in a quite accessible corner away from the old litter box.

My sister's 'Middle Child' cat, Atticus, had a similar phase. He was being swatted at by the bigger brother cat when he went to use the box, so he started pissing on the ottoman. She put a small box under the ottoman temporarily, found space for another box box, phantom pissing stopped.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I have a Siamese with the saaaaame problem. One word. Prozac. It's 15 bucks for a million pills that you cut into fourths. After one week he stopped completely. Do it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maximusi posted:

I have a Siamese with the saaaaame problem. One word. Prozac. It's 15 bucks for a million pills that you cut into fourths. After one week he stopped completely. Do it!

From my vet? I'll look into it!

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Yep. You can also get it online, but you need a prescription. Do not stop giving him pills, or he'll go right back to peeing. You might not understand why, but your cat might be stressed out. When I moved to a new place, my cat started peeing along this one wall (I think because there are cats outside). I tried the feliway crap, didn't work. I tried moving the litter boxes. The only thing I didn't try was blocking the window. But anyway shortly after giving him the prozac, he calmed down and stopped completely. I've tried taking him off the prozac, but he always returns to his psycho, cat-peeing state. I use those pill pockets to give them to him, which makes things a lot easier. Make sure you get a pill cutter, unless the vet cuts the pills for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Maximusi posted:

Yep. You can also get it online, but you need a prescription. Do not stop giving him pills, or he'll go right back to peeing. You might not understand why, but your cat might be stressed out. When I moved to a new place, my cat started peeing along this one wall (I think because there are cats outside). I tried the feliway crap, didn't work. I tried moving the litter boxes. The only thing I didn't try was blocking the window. But anyway shortly after giving him the prozac, he calmed down and stopped completely. I've tried taking him off the prozac, but he always returns to his psycho, cat-peeing state. I use those pill pockets to give them to him, which makes things a lot easier. Make sure you get a pill cutter, unless the vet cuts the pills for you.

I will ask the vet when we go in for his check up. Last night I bought a whole new bottle of Nature's Miracle and doused like 10 square feet with it. So far so good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Three days with no pee!

He's being such a good boy

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

One of our cats just out of the blue started peeing in spots when we was 4ish. Was puzzling as to us nothing had changed that would trigger it.

What we finally settled on that worked was we noticed he repeatedly peed in the same places and we just put food bowls in all those random places, he never pees near his food.

Eventually (read three pretty painful years later) he stopped the habit as randomly and seemingly without reason as he started it.

So far so good.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Has anyone suggested you pee on the cat yet?

Rhyno posted:

Three days with no pee!

He's being such a good boy

Oh good! I'm glad he's behaving.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
gluing up the cat's penis is not an acceptable solution

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He had another peeing binge, peed on some DVDs and a book. We bought yet another new type of food and some stuff to put in his litter that will tell us if he's has crystals in his bladder. We just got confirmation that we do indeed get the new apartment, possibly as soon as November 1st so we need to get him sorted out or else he's gonna have to live in a bathroom.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Poor kitty, poor you. He's adorable. Did you try the Prozac?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Salty posted:

Poor kitty, poor you. He's adorable. Did you try the Prozac?

The vet doesn't think it's a good idea, We're gonna take him in one last time and have them run a bunch of tests on his pee and bladder. If nothing has changed we'll do the prozac.

And thanks, he knows he's pretty and will mug for the camera/phone if he sees you holding it.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I'll throw in a vote for prozac if nothing comes up on tests. My cat takes it daily after having a lot of pee incidents and hasn't peed anywhere weird since he's been taking it for the past 2ish years. I originally planned to wean him off, but his vet told me that some kitties (including mine) just do better on it if they take it indefinitely. Not only has it stopped his pee problem, but he's become much more relaxed, too. It's also dirt cheap-- I pay $9 for a 2-month supply at Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013
Have you considered a collar camera? to get a cat view. On my cat is from hell they discovered that another cat was looking in the window and stressing out their cat . season 5 from memory

• Locked thread