Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
These Final Hours is an upcoming Australian apocalyptic drama movie set in (of all places) Perth, Western Australia, because it is the most remote major city in the world, I guess.

quote:

The movie is set hours away from the end of life as we know it, a comet has crashed into Earth after failed attempts to blow it up and months of political down playing.
The resulting fireball makes it's way across the surface of the globe and the last place it incinerates is Perth, not before steadily heating up the general atmosphere as it comes.

Perth is in chaos, naturally, is everyone is understandably freaking the gently caress out, we follow James, a self serving young man who's mission it is to make it to the 'party to end all parties' across town, and steals cars and does what he can to make it.

The party itself is an orgy of drugs and sex and absolute indulgence with no consequences, with tonnes of illicit substances and alcohol at disposal, patrons can dance away the time or play Russian roulette with loaded guns or anything in between. One last send off.

Problem is, along the way, James saves a young girl, Rose, from a terrible fate.
Her only wish is to find her father so she can be with him at life's end and could never make it there on her own, James is met with a moral dilemma.
James has only ever thought of himself before anyone else, but he can't leave Rose alone in a world rapidly falling apart and he must decide what matters most when everything is about to mean nothing.

I am really looking forward to this movie, it combines two of my favorite things about films: Australian & Apocalyptic.
It seems to be in the same vein as apocalyptic movies like Miracle Mile and On The Beach where hope is completely gone, something that I am into because it is the only type of movie the genuinely hits any emotional buttons with me.

This one looks particularly intense, and having grown up somewhat around Perth itself, it hits home a little bit more.
Has anyone seen this yet? It has been floating about doing the festival circuit for a bit and is now getting a commercial release, personally I am excited but apprehensive to see it because it's one of those movies that has the potential to ruin someone's day.

Watch the trailer and see what you think.
http://thesefinalhours.com.au/

BONUS: Above the trailer is an 'Interactive Prequel'. Click to have a look for yourself!
TL;DR for link: It's a fake desktop with derivative social media links and news links based on the impending event, you can 'talk' to characters from the movie and watch a Twitter like feed to see how people deal with the whole thing (from general skeptisism to outright panic) set in an abbreviated timespan between 5 months and 24 hours. It is surprisingly fun and enthralling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

BONUS: Above the trailer is an 'Interactive Prequel'. Click to have a look for yourself!
TL;DR for link: It's a fake desktop with derivative social media links and news links based on the impending event, you can 'talk' to characters from the movie and watch a Twitter like feed to see how people deal with the whole thing (from general skeptisism to outright panic) set in an abbreviated timespan between 5 months and 24 hours. It is surprisingly fun and enthralling!

I was wondering why all my Emails started with 'Hi oval office' when I realised that's the name I put in. I thought it was just trying to give an authentic Australian experience.

A lot of effort has gone into the site but the only advertising I've seen is one billboard here in Sydney. I don't watch TV though so I hope they're getting the word out there, looks like its got potential to not be poo poo.

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 16, 2014

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
The "interactive prequel" is pretty cool. Flappy Rockets is amazing.

This looks like it could be pretty interesting. The "prequel" does a great job of conveying the disbelief that slowly turns into panic. I'll be checking the movie out based on that alone.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Yeah that prequel thingie is really cool, I just spent an hour reading all the tweets and watching all the videos. Can't wait for the movie.

Are there any other good last day on earth movies?
I kinda liked Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World and I really loved Last Night.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Popelmon posted:

I would like to know too. I mentioned Miracle Mile and On The Beach above, but it is heard to find things of that ilk.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Popelmon posted:

Last Night (1998) is a great "final day of Earth" movie. It's a very understated watch; Roger Ebert used it as an example of the quintessential Canadian film.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

Last Night (1998) is a great "final day of Earth" movie. It's a very understated watch; Roger Ebert used it as an example of the quintessential Canadian film.

Yeah, he said he loved it!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Popelmon posted:

I don't know about other good ones, but seeking a friend for the end of the world might be the absolute worst, I mean jaw-droppingly inept and bad, no-hope-everyone-dies movie ever made.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
Just spent an hour or so on the interactive prequel - very well done, and surprisingly moving in places. Well worth doing, anyway.

The film? The trailer left me a bit cold but you can't fault the concept.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Everblight posted:

I don't know about other good ones, but seeking a friend for the end of the world might be the absolute worst, I mean jaw-droppingly inept and bad, no-hope-everyone-dies movie ever made.

It is billed as a comedy/romance - are you saying this movie is inept and bad or it really is a good example of this is the last day and there is no joke to change that? If so that sounds kinda cool!

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
This seems really similar to that one short Creepypasta.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kikka posted:

This seems really similar to that one short Creepypasta.

Which? I don't know what you're talking about.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
That mini-site looked interesting, but is there a way to shortcut to the three week mark? I'm at the 5 Month chapter... I think, even though I clicked on the 3 Month button and nothing changed. I left it on in the background and it's been counting down to a missile strike for like fifteen minutes now. Come on, just let me click on the 3 Week button!

Edit: Nevermind, you have to click the timeline button and then click to watch the video, then it lets you skip ahead.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 21, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Meowbot posted:

It is billed as a comedy/romance - are you saying this movie is inept and bad or it really is a good example of this is the last day and there is no joke to change that? If so that sounds kinda cool!

seeking a friend for the end of the world is never funny, Steve Carell is a mopey patsy and Keira Knightly reaches what may be the actual final form of Manic Pixie Dream Girl. It's clumsy and bad in all the wrong ways, and while it has a strong first act, it comes off the rails quickly and gets several things deeply wrong on a fundamental level, both in interpersonal relationships ("oh, by the way, I accidentally ruined your attempts to reconcile with the people in your life and am completely unrepentant but I listen to The Smiths on vinyl so you will just helplessly fall in love with me") and in basic physics ("surely this Cessna can make multiple transatlantic flights without the assistance of working airports or even fuel stations in a single night!")

The over-the-top maudlin ending is the film version of a Guy Fieri menu. Just putting saccharine-sweet things together because people like them until the mess is some sort of mongrel mutant begging for death.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I believe this premiered today in Australia, any ausgoons planning to see it? The premise sounds fantastic and I really enjoyed the interactive prequel website, I'd love to hear that the actual film lives up to all the hype.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Your tagline is better than theirs

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Popelmon posted:

Yeah that prequel thingie is really cool, I just spent an hour reading all the tweets and watching all the videos. Can't wait for the movie.

I kinda liked Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World and I really loved Last Night.

I'd throw Melancholia into this pool, although it spends most of the movie being a "maybe it's the end of the world" film.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Everblight posted:

seeking a friend for the end of the world is never funny, Steve Carell is a mopey patsy and Keira Knightly reaches what may be the actual final form of Manic Pixie Dream Girl. It's clumsy and bad in all the wrong ways, and while it has a strong first act, it comes off the rails quickly and gets several things deeply wrong on a fundamental level, both in interpersonal relationships ("oh, by the way, I accidentally ruined your attempts to reconcile with the people in your life and am completely unrepentant but I listen to The Smiths on vinyl so you will just helplessly fall in love with me") and in basic physics ("surely this Cessna can make multiple transatlantic flights without the assistance of working airports or even fuel stations in a single night!")

The over-the-top maudlin ending is the film version of a Guy Fieri menu. Just putting saccharine-sweet things together because people like them until the mess is some sort of mongrel mutant begging for death.

iawtp

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World sucked both as a quirky indie romance movie and an apocalyptic comedy.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

McSpanky posted:

I believe this premiered today in Australia, any ausgoons planning to see it? The premise sounds fantastic and I really enjoyed the interactive prequel website, I'd love to hear that the actual film lives up to all the hype.

It does. I saw it a year ago for the Melbourne Film Festival, probably one of my favourite films from last year.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
That interactive desktop thing is brilliant. Didn't realise this was out but it's showing on the weekend, will have to try to get along to see it. It did terribly at the Australian box office last week sadly.

I really like that they've provided a lot of the background through the desktop.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

I'd throw Melancholia into this pool, although it spends most of the movie being a "maybe it's the end of the world" film.

There's also One Night Stand from 1984, which is about four teenagers in locked in the Sydney Opera House when they find out that a nuclear war has broken out in eastern Europe and may soon engulf Sydney.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die
The Quiet Earth is not awful either, check it out.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

(of all places) Perth, Western Australia, because it is the most remote major city in the world, I guess.

My street is in the film (the nice area). :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

iawtp

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World sucked both as a quirky indie romance movie and an apocalyptic comedy.

I kinda liked it, for the one time I saw it. I could appreciate the fact that they made everyone die at the end, at least, but it'll take more than that to supplant KNOW1NG as far as hopeless annihilation movies go for me.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 9, 2014

• Locked thread