Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tragedy Looper is a small press indie board game. It's a horror/mystery deduction game, drawing from Japanese horror video games like Higurashi ni Naku Koro Ni. A tiny garage project, the game was self-printed and released at the 2011 Tokyo Game Market under the pesudonym BakaFire Party. It had little hope of a larger release...until the international explosion of Love Letter and Japon Brand at Essen 2013, and the subsequent opening of the Japanese board game scene. Z-Man will release the english version at Gen Con Indy 2014. In the meantime, I have a Japanese copy of the game, and an itch to play.

(Introduction comic, translated and released by the publisher here.)

Through various means, three high schoolers are given the astounding power to travel backwards in time. But their inexplicable gift comes with a grave price: the attention and interest of a sadistic entity that calls itself "The Mastermind" or "The Scriptwriter." Amused and delighted by these new toys, the Mastermind concocts brutal and horrifying tragedies to play out with the protagonists' friends, classmates, and loved ones. As the protagonists, you must unravel and thwart the Mastermind's hideous script. But you can only watch these bloody and violent scenarios play out so many times before your resolve and your sanity crack.

As the Mastermind, I'm operating under a pre-generated set of rules and victory conditions, called a Script. The game comes with a set of pre-written scripts, as well as the rules to concoct your own from a set of given parts. However, you Protagonists don't know the details of my script, and must deduce the truth as quickly and efficiently as possible from your many delicious failures.

The game plays out over a predetermined number of Loops, each consisting of a predetermined number of Days. Each day, I will take a number of hidden actions, followed by the protagonists. At the end of each loop, if I've met one or more of my victory conditions, you must reset the loop and try again, and again, and again, until you run out of loops and reach the Bad Ending. (And some events can cause the loop to end prematurely, like the death of a crucial victim, or of the protagonists themselves.) However, if just one Loop ends without my plans coming to fruition, you win escape the spiral of tragedy...for the time being.

---

Here's the tricky bit: I have translations of the rules for both the Protagonists and the Mastermind. However, as Z-Man has not yet released the English rules, handing out the whole document would likely violate SA's :filez: rules, and I don't want to get banned. As such, I'll be teaching the game here in my own words, and only providing content directly relevant to the scenario we're using.

:frogsiren: PLEASE NOTE: This thread will contain spoilers for one of the prewritten Tragedy Looper scenarios (specifically, one of the first teaching scenarios). If you want to play the game completely unspoiled, STOP READING NOW.

Protagonists
Poison Mushroom (Yellow)
Some Numbers (Blue)
Fat Samurai (Green)

Mastermind
Gutter Owl

Backup Players
ActingPower
Stelas
GMarshal
Fat Turkey
Morpheus

---

:siren:THREAD RULES:siren:
1) NO SPOILERS. I know this isn't likely to happen, but if you just so happen to come across a copy of the game, DO NOT SPOIL THE SCENARIO. I mean, duh.
2) This will be an OPEN DISCUSSION GAME for the players: Players are free to discuss strategy with one another at any time, but must do so in the thread. PMs are not allowed.
3) Non-participants may throw out suggestions BETWEEN LOOPS, but may not kibitz DURING an active loop.
4) Player decision for turns are due by midnight Pacific Time the day after the decision is opened. Decisions should be posted in the thread and should be bolded as such: ##Play PARANOIA -1 on SHRINE MAIDEN
5) If a Protagonist is unable to give a decision by the deadline (without prior notice), their seat will be given to the first Backup Player who calls it in the thread, and the former Protagonist will be moved to the Backup Player list.
6) If you would like to be added to the Backup Player list, PM Gutter Owl to be added.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Rules Basics posted:

• The object of the game is to uncover, then stop, the Mastermind's nefarious plots.
  • The Mastermind selects a script before the start of the game, describing several Plots, Hidden Roles, and Incidents. These provide her win conditions. (In addition, "Kill the Protagonists" is always a valid win condition.)
  • All of the elements of the script are drawn from a specific set of options, called a Tragedy Set, which is provided in full to the players.
  • The game is played over a set number of Loops, each consisting of a set number of Days (turns).
  • The Mastermind wins if she accomplishes a win condition in each and every Loop.
  • The Protagonists win if they can survive a single Loop unscathed.
  • Neither the Protagonists nor the Mastermind have pieces on the board. Rather, they play various cards on the Characters and Locations on the board each day.

Turn Structure posted:

Each day consists of the following phases:
  • Day Start
  • Mastermind Cards
  • Protagonists Cards
  • Reveal and resolve cards
  • Mastermind Abilities
  • Goodwill Abilities
  • Check and Resolve Incidents
  • Day End

Day Start: The turn begins. (Some effects may trigger here.)

Mastermind Cards: The Mastermind select and plays 3 cards from her hand, face-down, on the characters and locations on the board. (See the cardlist below.) She may not play more than one card on a given character or location. She MAY make a nonsensical play (e.g. a Movement card on a location) as a bluff.

Protagonist Cards:Each of the 3 Protagonists plays one card on a character or location of their choice. (See the cardlist below.) A Protagonist MAY play a card on the same character/location as the Mastermind. However, a Protagonist MAY NOT play a card on the same character or location as another Protagonist. Protagonists must make legal moves (e.g. no Movement cards on locations).

Resolve Cards: The Mastermind flips her cards face-up, and cards are resolved. "Forbid" cards trigger first, then "Movement" cards, then other cards.

Mastermind Abilities: The Mastermind may trigger certain abilities granted to her by Characters, Hidden Roles, Plots, etc. She may use as many of these abilities as she can, unless otherwise stated. IMPORTANTLY, the Mastermind does not need to specify the exact abilitiy she is using--only the outcome and the timing. (E.g. The Mastermind does not say "I use the Misleader to place one Paranoia token on the Shrine Maiden." Instead, she says, "For some reason, the Shrine Maiden gains a Paranoia during the Mastermind phase. I wonder why?")

Goodwill Abilities: The Protagonists may use ONE Goodwill ability on a character on the board, provided that character has the required number of Goodwill tokens. Using an ability does not spend the tokens; the cost is merely a threshold. Unless the ability says "once per loop," you may use the same ability multiple times on different days. In case of a disagreement between Protagonists, the LEADER of the protagonists makes the final call.

Check and Resolve Incidents: Certain days have an assigned incident, with a matching Culprit. If the culprit has Paranoia tokens equal to or greater than their threshold, the Incident will occur. See below for more rules. IMPORTANTLY, the mastermind does not need to specify who the Culprit is when an incident occurs. She only needs to confirm whether or not the Incident occurs. HOWEVER, she MUST announce if the Incident could occur due to the Culprit's paranoia, even if the incident does not meet other requirements or lacks a valid target.)[/b]

Day End: The LEADER status passes to the next Protagonist. Some effects may trigger here. If this is the last day of the Loop, resolve Loop End effects and check for victory.[/b]

Plots posted:

Each script consists of a Main Plot and 1-2 Subplots (depending on the Tragedy Set). Plots are selected from those available within the chosen Tragedy Set. The Plots describe which Hidden Roles the Mastermind will use, and may define victory conditions and special abilities. At the start of the game, the Plots are unknown to the Protagonists.

Hidden Roles posted:

Each character on the board is assigned a Hidden Role at the start of the game.
  • These roles are unknown to the protagonists, and give the characters special abilities for the Mastermind to use.
  • Hidden Roles are specified by the Plots selected for the script. The Mastermind must use these roles and no others.
  • Each character gets one and only one Hidden Role.
  • A character with no specific Hidden Role has the role of "Person," which has no special abilities.
  • Some Goodwill Effects can reveal a character's Hidden Role. Some Hidden Roles let the Mastermind refuse to reveal their role (but she must declare that she is refusing to reveal--the character does not pretend to be a "Person"). Some refusals are optional. Others are mandatory.

Incidents posted:

Certain days will have preprogrammed "Incidents." These Incidents are each assigned a Culprit, and will occur if that Culprit has Paranoia tokens equal to or above their printed Paranoia Threshold. (Whether the Mastermind wants the Incident to occur or not!)
  • Like Plots, Incidents are selected from the Tragedy Set before the start of the game.
  • Each incident has one and only one culprit.
  • Each character may only be the Culprit of one incident.
  • Culprits are different from Hidden Roles. A character may have a Hidden Role and be the Culprit behind an Incident.
  • Unlike Plots and Hidden Roles, the Protagonists know about each Incident at the start of the game. They know which Incident will occur, and on what day.
  • However, the Protagonists do NOT know the Culprit behind each Incident.

Available Cards posted:

The Mastermind's Hand
  • Movement (Vertical)
  • Movement (Horizontal)
  • Movement (Diagonal)*
  • Paranoia +1
  • Paranoia +1 (duplicate)
  • Paranoia -1
  • Intrigue +1
  • Intrigue +2*
  • Forbid Goodwill
  • Forbid Paranoia

Each Protagonist's Hand
  • Movement (Vertical)
  • Movement (Horizontal)
  • Goodwill +1
  • Goodwill +2*
  • Paranoia +1
  • Paranoia -1*
  • Forbid Movement*
  • Forbid Intrigue (Special)

Cards with asterisks may only be used once per loop. Cards without asterisks may be selected every day.

Movement (Vertical, Horizontal, Diagonal): This character moves to the corresponding location on the board. Two movement cards of the same type will condense into a single movement (e.g. Move Vertical + Move Vertical = Move Vertical). Two movement cards of different types will combine together (e.g. Move Vertical + Move Horizontal = Move Diagonal). Note that only the Mastermind has a Move Diagonal card, and may use it only once per loop. Some characters may not move to some locations. This is shown in a diagram in the upper left of the card. For example, the Office Worker can never go to the school.

Goodwill/Intrigue/Paranoia +X: Add or remove the appropriate number of tokens to the target. Intrigue may go on characters or locations; Goodwill and Paranoia only affect characters.

Forbid X: Negate any card of the matching type on this character/location. Only affects cards--Goodwill, Mastermind Abilities, and Incidents are not affected. SPECIAL NOTE: Only one Forbid Intrigue may be played each turn between the protagonists. If two Forbid Intrigues are on the board at the same time, they negate each other!

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 16, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

The Script is written! GAME START!

We will be using the First Steps Tragedy Set. This set is specifically designed for use with the tutorial scenarios.

This set will use 1 Main Plot and One Sub-Plot!

Plots in this set posted:

[MAIN] Murder Plan
Characters: Key Person (1), Killer (1), Brain (1)
Special Rules: None (see Key Person).

[MAIN] Light of the Avenger
Characters: Brain (1)
Special Rules: [LOOP END] If 2 Intrigue on Brain's starting location, Protagonists lose!

[MAIN] A Place to Protect
Characters: Key Person (1), Cultist (1)
Special Rules [LOOP END] If 2 Intrigue on the School location, Protagonists lose!

---

[SUB] Shadow of the Ripper
Characters: Misleader (1), Serial Killer (1)
Special Rules: None.

[SUB]An Unsettling Rumor
Characters: Misleader (1)
Special Rules: [Mastermind Ability] Once per loop, place 1 Intrigue on any character or location.

[SUB]A Hideous Script
Characters: Misleader (1), Friend (1), Red Herring (0-2)
Special Rules: May use 0-2 Red Herrings

Possible Hidden Roles posted:

Key Person: If this character dies, the loop ends immediately and the Protagonists lose!
Killer: May refuse to reveal. [Day End] If the Key Person is in this location and has 2+ Intrigue, you may kill the Key Person. [Day End] If this character has 4+ Intrigue, you may kill the Protagonists!
Brain: May refuse to reveal. [Mastermind Ability] You may place 1 Intrigue on this location or a character in this location.
Cultist: MUST refuse to reveal. You may ignore Forbid Intrigue cards on this location or on characters in this location.
Misleader: [Mastermind Ability] Place 1 Paranoia on a character in this location.
Serial Killer: [Day End] If alone in a location with one other character, MUST kill that character.
Friend: [Loop End] If this character is dead, you MUST reveal this role. The Protagonists lose! [Loop Start] Starts with 1 Goodwill if previously revealed by any effect.
Red Herring: May refuse to reveal. (No other ability.)

Incidents posted:

DAY 2: MURDER
--If Culprit is panicked (at or above paranoia), kill one other character in the same location.
DAY 3: SUICIDE
--If Culprit is panicked, the Culprit dies.

---

LOOP 1/3, DAY 1/4
LEADER: POISON MUSHROOM

(Please enjoy this high quality image of the game board that I totally didn't take with an iPhone because I suck at Photoshop.)

Day Start: Nothing Happens.

Mastermind Cards: Mastermind plays cards on the Girl Student, the Office Worker, and the School location!

Protagonist Cards:

Resolve Cards
  • Poison Mushroom plays Forbid Intrigue on the School
  • Some Numbers plays Goodwill +1 on the Boy Student
  • Fat Samurai plays Goodwill +2 on the Police Officer
  • Mastermind reveals Paranoia +1 on the Office Worker
  • Mastermind reveals Move Vertical on the Girl Student
  • Mastermind reveals +1 Intrigue on the School FORBIDDEN!

Mastermind Abilities: Nothing happens...

Goodwill Abilities: Not enough Goodwill.

Incidents: No incident scheduled for Day 1!

End of Day: ...

...?!

The Girl Student dies!

The loop ends prematurely! The protagonists lose!

Travelling backwards in time...Please wait...

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 17, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How many days and loops do we have to figure stuff out?

You are using one specific main and subplot, right?

On Light of the Avenger and A Place to Protect, does "Protagonists Lose" mean that we lose the game or we start a new loop?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Some Numbers posted:

On Light of the Avenger and A Place to Protect, does "Protagonists Lose" mean that we lose the game or we start a new loop?
Wording implies per loop. In fact, I think it's pretty much impossible to succeed on the first loop or two, from what I'm seeing.

Do we need to know the text on the character cards?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In fact, this is reminding me very much of a combination of Letters from Whitechapel and Mafia. Should be fun.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

How many days and loops do we have to figure stuff out?

Sorry. 3 loops, four days. Loops count down on the board, but I didn't give you an indication of days. This is fixed now.

quote:

You are using one specific main and subplot, right?

Yes. One main and one sub have already been chosen. I'm using one of the pregen scripts from the book. If I ever do a homebrew script, I'll need to hire a neutral observer or something who I can provide with the script ahead of time, to keep me honest.

quote:

Lose the loop. There are no "lose the game" effects, other than failing all loops. (Even the death of the protagonists just causes the loop to end prematurely in a loss.)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Do we need to know the text on the character cards?

You can read the character cards by expanding the board image to full size. I've put english text on them.

If they're too difficult to read, I can add another box with their text.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Mastermind Cards: Mastermind plays cards on the Girl Student, the Office Worker, and the School location!

Protagonist Cards: :siren: Time to act! :siren: What will the protagonists do? Please submit your choices by July 16, 11:59PM Pacific time!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Movement cards and Paranoia cards only have an effect on an NPC, but Intrigue and Forbid cards can have an effect on a location, correct?

I know that you're allowed to make illegal plays; I'm trying to make sure I know what's going on.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Movement cards and Paranoia cards only have an effect on an NPC, but Intrigue and Forbid cards can have an effect on a location, correct?

I know that you're allowed to make illegal plays; I'm trying to make sure I know what's going on.

Forbid Intrigue can affect a location. Forbid Goodwill/Paranoia have no effect, because locations cannot receive Goodwill or Paranoia anyway.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I feel like this first round is going to end very suddenly and unexpectedly, so trying to plan around what MIGHT happen is a lost cause. If either of you guys know Mafia terminology (or even just the movie Princess Bride), the operative phrase here is "Wine in front of me".

We should try to accomplish whatever we can while we can. Right now, I'm thinking we try to get some Good Will on the office worker? Knowing even one role would be great. One of us Forbid Intrigues the City, another plays a Goodwill +1 on the office dude. Then next turn, we see what happens, maybe play the +2 on him.

But a case could also be made for the Shrine Maiden, if we want to, say, be sure of who the Doctor is.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

One of us Forbid Intrigues the City...

Er, that would be a strange play, seeing as I've played no cards on the City location. Did you mean the School location? Or maybe the office worker in the City?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Er, that would be a strange play, seeing as I've played no cards on the City location. Did you mean the School location? Or maybe the office worker in the City?
Oh, I thought Intrigue could be played on locations to protect characters.

Yeah, I guess someone should play it on the school, then.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Oh, I thought Intrigue could be played on locations to protect characters.

Yeah, I guess someone should play it on the school, then.

Intrigue can be played on characters or locations, yes.

I think I see the misunderstanding. A Forbid Intrigue in the city will negate all Intrigue cards played on the City location itself, but will not affect the characters in the City. If you think I'm placing Intrigue on a character, you'll want to place Forbid Intrigue on that specific character.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 16, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gutter Owl posted:

Intrigue can be played on characters or locations, yes.

I think I see the misunderstanding. A Forbid Intrigue in the city will negate all Intrigue cards played on the City location itself, but will not affect the characters in the City. If you think I'm placing Intrigue on a character, you'll want to place Forbid Intrigue on that specific character.
Yeah, that's where the mix-up was. Okay.

Playing a Forbid doesn't make any sense at all when it's on a location we've seen nothing of. And while it's possible it's a feint, I don't know that making one this early would be at all productive. I'll rescind this if you two yell at me or think :siren: our only Forbid Intrigue this turn :siren: would go better somewhere else, but for now...

Play Forbid Intrigue on the School.

Still think we should Goodwill +1 either the Maiden or the Office Worker.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I completely missed the announcement, sorry.

I agree with Poison that our best bet is to dump goodwill on someone. My doubt is whether to go for the Office Worker or the Cop. Getting 4 Goodwill on the cop would give us the Killer when she strikes. Of course, then Gutter Owl could just play Forbid Goodwill, but that's 1 less card to worry about for the day, and that's a huge deal. Speaking of which, that card on the office worker could be a Forbid Goodwill, which would make the detective a more interesting target.

It would be nice to keep everyone at less than 2 paranoia in day 2, but that seems basically impossible. Same with containing intrigue in a place, although losing by accumulating intrigue in either the School or somewhere else would give us the Plot. For what's worth, I think that Poison's call is the right one. It stops the advancement of 1'25 possible plots.

Numbers, what do you think? +2 to the Cop? The Shrine Maiden? I'd rather not put goodwill on the Office Worker this turn, and the students have to be together to use their Goodwill thingy.

FakeEDIT: Also, dibs on the pretty anime lady in pink with the magical diary. I want to reach peak Anime. :allears:

FakeEDITEDIT: Rules question, each of us has one of each card in our hands. Does it mean we get to play 3 +2 goodwills as long as there are at least three days in this loop?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Just to be clear, on day 2 if the Culprit is panicked, someone else dies, but we don't necessarily know who the Culprit is?

If that's the case, getting the cop's Goodwill up would be nice, so we have a bit more information about the next loop. On the other hand, if only one person is panicked, then I guess we know who the Culprit is? I guess?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

+2ing the Cop would be nice, but if we can only use one +2 total per loop, then we wouldn't know anything at all until day 3. If we can play our own +2s separately, we can +2 rush the cop, hopefully, see what happens.

If not, I'm good with either Cop, or again, Shrine Maiden. Knowing what the Doctor is will be important, I think, but I can't see a way to easily learn it this loop without the Maiden.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

+2ing the Cop would be nice, but if we can only use one +2 total per loop, then we wouldn't know anything at all until day 3. If we can play our own +2s separately, we can +2 rush the cop, hopefully, see what happens.

This is the reason I asked for a clarification. It seems we can play each marked card 3 times, but if not we'd be better ignoring the Cop's Goodwill because it'll probably be pretty obvious who's committed suicide.

I'll check back later, but for now:

If we can play marked cards once per loop per Protagonist, ##play +2 Goodwill on the Cop
Otherwise, ##play +1 Goodwill on the Shrine Maiden

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

If not, I'm good with either Cop, or again, Shrine Maiden. Knowing what the Doctor is will be important, I think, but I can't see a way to easily learn it this loop without the Maiden.

Yes, you have 3 "+2 Goodwills" at your disposal, one per player.

Fat Samurai posted:

FakeEDITEDIT: Rules question, each of us has one of each card in our hands. Does it mean we get to play 3 +2 goodwills as long as there are at least three days in this loop?

This is slightly incorrect...in that all three of you could drop +2 Goodwill on the same day! The only card that cannot be doubled up on is Forbid Intrigue.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jul 16, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cool. So, what do we do with the last action? Should we maybe move the Cop to where the Doctor is? Or use a Goodwill +1 on the Boy Student?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Seems like we should just play another Goodwill +2 on the cop, right? I don't see the reasoning behind not doing that.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

However, a Protagonist MAY NOT play a card on the same character or location as another Protagonist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Seems like we should just play another Goodwill +2 on the cop, right? I don't see the reasoning behind not doing that.
One card per character per day.

e:f;b

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Cool. So, what do we do with the last action? Should we maybe move the Cop to where the Doctor is? Or use a Goodwill +1 on the Boy Student?

Getting the cop killed with only one other person in the same room gives us as much information as getting him alive through the loop,so I say leave him where he is.

(Watch as Gutter Owl manages to pile up every single character in the hospital and kills the Cop then)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fair enough. Why do we care about the Doctor?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That why I said move to the hospital, actually. The Boy Student would need to move diagonally next turn to be in the same room as the cop next turn, and that can only happen once per loop (plus also being incredibly obvious as an indicator for something.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Fair enough. Why do we care about the Doctor?
To know if we can safely use that first ability or not. If he's a bad dude, then letting him out of the hospital is a terrible, terrible idea.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

To know if we can safely use that first ability or not. If he's a bad dude, then letting him out of the hospital is a terrible, terrible idea.

I'm still confused.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I'm still confused.

So am I. I agree that giving Goodwill to the doctor without scanning him first is a bad idea, but pairing him with the Cop gives us no information.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What I'm saying is that...

Actually, never mind, it's a bad idea. I guess my vote's for Goodwill +1 on Boy Student?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Just a heads up, I've added the current leader to the post above. Of course, in an "Open" game (which we're playing) the leader doesn't do much other than cast the deciding vote for goodwill abilities. Turn order is Poison Mushroom --> Some Numbers --> Fat Samurai.

(It's used more in a "Closed" scenario, where Protagonist play their cards facedown and cannot discuss moves or suspicions outside of the "Time Spiral" between loops. In a Closed scenario, protagonists play their cards in turn order, starting with the leader. Likewise, the leader chooses goodwill abilities to use without input from his or her teammates.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

What I'm saying is that...

Actually, never mind, it's a bad idea. I guess my vote's for Goodwill +1 on Boy Student?

Yeah, I'm okay with that.

##Play Goodwill +1 on Male Student.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Playing this game Closed seems like a recipe for disaster for the Protagonists. Are non-tutorial scripts harder on the good guys or just more complex in general?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Playing this game Closed seems like a recipe for disaster for the Protagonists. Are non-tutorial scripts harder on the good guys or just more complex in general?

Yes and no? Scripts from the Basic Tragedy set (or the expansion sets) tend to be longer (3-5 loops over 6-7 days) and have more characters (around 9) and more possible plots/roles. However, these scripts have a backup win condition for the protagonists called the Final Guess. If the protagonists would fail the Final Loop and reach the Bad Ending, they have one last shot. If they can guess the secret role of every character in the game, they snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

The Final Guess is not used in the First Steps set because these tragedies have fewer characters and fewer possible roles, and would be solved too easily.

As for the Open/Closed thing, every script outside of First Steps can be Open or Closed. It's always purely a difficulty option for the protagonists.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This game is great, and I hope it comes over soon, because it seems like exactly the kind of thing I'd buy and then never get a chance to play.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Loop 1, Day 1 complete. Please read above!

Importantly...

Gutter Owl posted:

End of Day: ...

...?!

The Girl Student dies!

The loop ends prematurely! The protagonists lose!

Travelling backwards in time...Please wait...

YOU DIED. TRY AGAIN.

Collect your data. Loop 2, Day 1 begins shortly.

(Don't get discouraged. This isn't terribly unusual for the first loop of a game. If the Mastermind can get away with an early blindside kill, they will.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

INTERESTING.

Looks like the Girl Student is the Key Person and the Shrine Maiden is the Serial Killer? I don't see anything else that would let this happen.

If you guys see something I missed, please point it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Girl Student is definitely the Key Person, that's proven.

Let's lay this out, then, rather than assuming we each get what we mean. You're saying that you think that card on the Girl Student was Move Vertical, that it moved her to the Serial Killer, who then killed her because she was alone, and that it can't be horizontal, because she wouldn't have been alone in the city?

If so, you're neglecting the possibility that the card on the Office Worker was also a move, which would have left her alone with the Police Officer.

• Locked thread