Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Brute
Aug 23, 2004
I'm a horrible extreme leftist moron who developed my political opinions through a long and trying process of smelling my own farts until my brain died. Please ignore all my stupid posts---------->
The floating sorcerer seems to appear when you stick around for too long on the same level, like the ghost in Spelunky.

Also, the starting locations are real places here in Santiago de Chile. Santa Lucia looks pretty close to the real thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Man, I just can't get good at the combat. I only really win by doing jump attacks followed by the sweep attacks and it's really unsatisfying.

I think you might just be appproaching the combat wrong. I almost never use jump or sweep attacks and cruised through to the Warlock on my third run. You want to be focusing on combos and cancels, which are kinda central to the combat engine.

The game becomes SO much more responsive when you have a full three cancels and three specials which you can chain nicely. Use dodges and blocks until you have an opportunity, then blitz. Jump attacks are incredibly dangerous and not very powerful.

A basic combo with Ghost Monk, for instance, is Light + Light + Charge-upswing special (I set to Forward/Neutral + Special) + Jump-throw special (Up + Special). Five hits, heavy damage, knockdown and gets you out of the line of fire of any counterattacks, and leave you with one cancel for a quick evade or one more attack.

The controls are non-standard, but they're not bad by any means.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Is there a Spanish audio option?

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Bulky Brute posted:

The floating sorcerer seems to appear when you stick around for too long on the same level, like the ghost in Spelunky.

I think I've had this guy show up on the first screen of the first area (of the hard path) before, so I don't think that's the trigger. At least he's not actually dangerous at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Is there a Spanish audio option?

Not that I can see, but there's definitely a Spanish version since someone on Youtube is playing it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Not that I can see, but there's definitely a Spanish version since someone on Youtube is playing it.

Someone needs to mail the developers and ask them if they could add the Spanish voice-track as an option on the PC version in a later update. That'd really help flesh out the atmosphere.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I think you might just be appproaching the combat wrong. I almost never use jump or sweep attacks and cruised through to the Warlock on my third run. You want to be focusing on combos and cancels, which are kinda central to the combat engine.

The game becomes SO much more responsive when you have a full three cancels and three specials which you can chain nicely. Use dodges and blocks until you have an opportunity, then blitz. Jump attacks are incredibly dangerous and not very powerful.

A basic combo with Ghost Monk, for instance, is Light + Light + Charge-upswing special (I set to Forward/Neutral + Special) + Jump-throw special (Up + Special). Five hits, heavy damage, knockdown and gets you out of the line of fire of any counterattacks, and leave you with one cancel for a quick evade or one more attack.

The controls are non-standard, but they're not bad by any means.

Edit: This came off as harsh.

I think it's poor design to put something so integral to combat as a resource you consume - especially since you say it's so essential to winning and I believe you. I probably wouldn't have much of a problem with the controls had I been able to customize them. Using the analogue stick for these kind of side-scrolls has always been incredibly awkward to me. It lacks the precision I'm used to with a D-pad, so not being able to edit them is a real detriment. Plus block on the triggers is just crummy and weird.

I'll give it some more time and maybe it'll grow on me.

What's a good combo for Katrien? I don't have Ghost Monk yet.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 17, 2014

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Is charm supposed to be really broken or is it just me? I died with Kitrien then got the choice to play ghost monk and bought that charm sword+bracelet. I was unstoppable and made it all the way to the warlock on the second try.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

What's a good combo for Katrien? I don't have Ghost Monk yet.

Her pirouette spin attack chains with just about anything, both in and out. Once you get her rising slash special, it can even chain from that to make it very safe and very powerful. Normally you're at risk when you're in the air, but chaining from that airtime into a falling wide-range melee attack renders it almost impossible to punish. It also protects your back if the enemy blocked and got behind you.

You could theoretically do Rising + Pirouette + Rising + Pirouette for a really high pressure combo, but that'd leave you without anything to rely on if you need to back off.

Your first run or two will be with a low-level character. You won't have all your moves and you'll probably have only one or two cancel points. Generally speaking, your first two skill points need to go into cancels. Once you're happy with that, customize as you please.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 17, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So how do you unlock the third chick? I saw some people say you have to give 25k to the shrine, which I did and nothing happened. I even beat the warlock that run. I hope it's not all at once since I donated like 15k that run and 12k before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how do you unlock the third chick? I saw some people say you have to give 25k to the shrine, which I did and nothing happened. I even beat the warlock that run. I hope it's not all at once since I donated like 15k that run and 12k before.

I guess it might be 30k? Either way I'm positive it's not all in one run since I only gave 25k when I unlocked her, so I must've given 5k on my first visit.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The first time I found the treasure room I put in 25k and unlocked her, so unless there's some random variance involved I'm pretty sure it's 25k and may or may not have to be all at once.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I got to my first question mark on the map and was transported to some black and white world with a new, masked man as my player. I had to kill a few new enemies but after it was done I was put on the next floor, but the guy I had just been playing as was now my monster soul. He was pretty cool to play as, but since I had no practice playing with him he died pretty quickly.

Slowly but surely I am getting better with the game; I've started to play a bit more methodically and to realize that the game seems to work better when focusing on special attacks over normal attacks. Stringing those together while sometimes doing a normal attack seems to work better for me, and it seems that maybe doing special attacks will cause you to gain mana? At least that's what the upgrade tool tip for a special ability and mana seem to be saying.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Niggurath posted:

So I got to my first question mark on the map and was transported to some black and white world with a new, masked man as my player. I had to kill a few new enemies but after it was done I was put on the next floor, but the guy I had just been playing as was now my monster soul. He was pretty cool to play as, but since I had no practice playing with him he died pretty quickly.

Those are bonus rounds, pretty much. If you can beat all four enemies without dying, then you'll be rewarded with that creature's soul.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think I can confirm you can unlock the third character by donating in multiple runs. The first time I got there, I was able to donate just below 23,000 or so. The next time I got there, I donated 5,000 and unlocked her.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Those are bonus rounds, pretty much. If you can beat all four enemies without dying, then you'll be rewarded with that creature's soul.

You also get a full heal for your primary character if you clear the round. They're really nice and don't have any real penalty for failure.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Metal Meltdown posted:

You also get a full heal for your primary character if you clear the round. They're really nice and don't have any real penalty for failure.

Unless you're playing co-op in which case sometimes the second player will randomly lose the ability to move their character and the game will behave as though they are dead, complete with being able to be raised at the next available altar.

Otherwise the game is super fun though co-op is frustrating until they turn off friendly fire.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Casnorf posted:

Unless you're playing co-op in which case sometimes the second player will randomly lose the ability to move their character and the game will behave as though they are dead, complete with being able to be raised at the next available altar.

Otherwise the game is super fun though co-op is frustrating until they turn off friendly fire.

They just patched the ability to turn off friendly fire a few hours ago.

This Charming Man
Apr 18, 2010
Really digging the game as well and the new patch that hit today has some changes that I think everyone in the thread will appreciate.

Patch v1.01 is out!
Community Announcements - [ACE] abordeu
Fixes / changes include:

- Togglable friendly fire option. Note: Deactivating friendly fire does not allow posting to leaderboards.
- Created ‘Nightmare mode’ difficulty setting: In this mode enemies attack more aggressively and single-player boss battles feature support minions.
- Created an achievement for beating the game in nightmare mode.
- Updated all interfaces to properly display corresponding keyboard or controller inputs.
- Updated controls menu: Gamepad controls are now configurable.
- Added missing resolutions to graphic options menu.
- Fixed one case of players being unable to move when resurrecting a partner (shopkeeper cannot be interacted with during resurrect animation) .
- Slightly increased turn speed for some characters that had slower turns.
- Nerfed Pincoya’s ground regular attacks a bit. Nerfed firefighter’s shotgun blast.
- Tweaked ultra button combination so it’s slightly easier to perform.
- Tweaked controller sensitivity for navigating menus with analogue sticks.
- Fixed potential non-progression in Warlock battle.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

This Charming Man posted:

- Nerfed Pincoya’s ground regular attacks a bit. Nerfed firefighter’s shotgun blast.

I'm not surprised, but that didn't take long at all. :v:

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Emalde posted:

I'm not surprised, but that didn't take long at all. :v:

I killed the warlock in my very first Pincoya run. poo poo was bananas. The big change seems to be that her down+normal no longer knocks down enemies but there are probably more subtle changes.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Add me on steam if you wanna play some coop im still early level...Soggygravy

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Metal Meltdown posted:

I killed the warlock in my very first Pincoya run. poo poo was bananas. The big change seems to be that her down+normal no longer knocks down enemies but there are probably more subtle changes.

Yeah, it seems to be a nerf to the damage/knockback values with no real change to the animations, which is nice because the real value of her attacks are the range and how much area they cover.

For the most part, Nightmare mode doesn't seem too much harder than the regular difficulty, except for the boss fights. I haven't fought Verbum Dei or the Warlock on Nightmare yet, but the shadow midbosses come for you two at a time and Paganini brings an extra Jackal, which makes the former really difficult and the latter really only slightly tougher but noticeably so.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat the game with all three characters now, so do we get new stuff everytime the mask is entirely broken? I assumed it was at the 25% marks but nothing seemed different between now and when it was 75% intact.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Just beat it on Nightmare mode, much more tense and the AI are real dicks now, feels like a much better game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What does the move where Katrien moves the sword behind her back do? Is it like a parry or something? I use it but it doesn't seem to do much damage and she still takes damage when hit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbot posted:

What does the move where Katrien moves the sword behind her back do? Is it like a parry or something? I use it but it doesn't seem to do much damage and she still takes damage when hit.

I think it might be a projectile deflect? I seem to remember that happening.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What does Pincoya's first special attack do? It sends out a jellyfish, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What does Pincoya's first special attack do? It sends out a jellyfish, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

It can distract enemies, but it's mean to be used in tandem with the other Jellyfish specials. She has one that makes it drop a small shock field, and one that makes it spin around in a circle and damage anything it touches.

It's pretty useless in my experience, since it's too slow and fairly unresponsive much of the time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Some of her other specials are also dependant on the jellyfish, so if you launch it out with that one you can trigger the others from afar. I've found it to be pretty useless, though.

e:f,b

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I see. It does sound a little useless. I think it's offset by the fact that she has the best soldier guy by far, or at least I think so.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Jimbot posted:

It's a counter-attack, if you get hit from the front during, like, the first half of the animation you'll block and attack back. I don't remember if I've taken damage when using it right, though...

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I actually find the jellyfish really useful combined with the shock special. The reason why is because enemies will not dodge or block it for some reason.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I just tried out Pincoya for a change. Boy howdy did they not think her through well at all. The default special attack misses just about every single time unless it's part of a combo. Starting combos is a frustrating proposition because, despite giving her the longest ranged weapon in the game they felt it necessary to give her default attack the shortest range in the game. Seriously, they couldn't give her a couple of jabs with the polearm instead of these useless short-range kicks? I got the flipkick special and that seems to be ok but again, it's pretty short range considering her weapon.

I don't know. It feels like they said, at the 11th hour "Two characters isn't a whole lot, lets add a third" then threw something together that didn't quite make sense but eh, the character design looks neat. Lets just roll with it.

She needs some major reworking, unless some of her later specials are something great. Are they?

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Pincoya's forward attacks on the ground and in the air are long-range thrusts. She crouches a bit during the ground thrust, so it can be used to dodge fireballs and attack at the same time. Her anti-air and crouching attacks both hit multiple times, and the ground one has great range. All of her non-jellyfish specials are pretty good and easy to combo together. Honestly, I never use her neutral attacks or the jellyfish at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Me neither. I haven't tried her since the nerf, but before that she was absurdly powerful. You could just poke dudes all day without ever getting hit.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, that's how I usually win fights but it feels like I'm not playing the game how it was designed. With other characters I'm chaining together attacks and specials and getting big combos but with her I'm just pecking at enemies until they keel over and it's pretty boring. I was kind of hoping she was like the other characters but with super long range and really elaborate, flashy attacks that leave you exposed if you do them halfheartedly.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, that's how I usually win fights but it feels like I'm not playing the game how it was designed. With other characters I'm chaining together attacks and specials and getting big combos but with her I'm just pecking at enemies until they keel over and it's pretty boring. I was kind of hoping she was like the other characters but with super long range and really elaborate, flashy attacks that leave you exposed if you do them halfheartedly.

Her specials are pretty much that, she has an enormous ranged jumping kick and a great infinite spinning staff move, I actually find the opposite that she's actually way easier to chain stuff together, especially with her launching standard attack.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Nightmare mode is actually challenging it seems. Good addition because i was cleaning the games clock left and right.

Pincoya isn't too bad but is pretty awkward to use and she's the character who benefits least from cancel points because of it. Basically i just try to force the opponents into the corner and do her staff spin. Works fine unless i fight enemies that can bulldog out with superior range or super armor.

I hope they add a 4th character. Aren't we getting more content as more of us beat the game over and over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I get more use out of Pincoya's special cancels than either other character I think. Anyone else think those stupid thwomp things are the hardest monster in the game? At least the others can be killed!

• Locked thread