Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's your favorite kind of hug?
Friendship Hug
Business Relationship Hug
Bro Hug
Goodbye Hug
Bear Hug
Affectionate Hug
View Results

• Locked thread
Scob
Jul 17, 2005

billy beane going for it man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Boston is also getting a competitive balance pick. Oakland is getting cash.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I posted this in the other thread too, but I like the deal. Cespedes has crazy talent and is really fun to watch, but he wasn't hitting in Oakland. He can't lay off bad pitches. Maybe the Monster will help him, but he's still never learned how to take a walk. Lester gives them another legit top of the rotation guy (maybe their only one since Kazmir could turn back into a pumpkin any day and Gray has never pitched this many innings), and Gomes fits in well with their team philosophy. I would guess he doesn't see more than a tiny handful of at bats against righties the rest of the year, and he can still crush lefties.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 31, 2014

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This is a pretty cool deal. It obviously helps both teams. Cespedes will hit a bunch of bombs in Fenway, and a Cespedes/Bradley/Betts OF could be pretty dangerous if they all live up to their potential. The As are now clearly WS favorites.

Deadline rules, y'all.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Billy never fucks around trying to get 10 cents on the dollar in his trades. If there's something he wants he just goes for it.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm surprised he didn't try to get a low minors player back in the deal. There's got to be somebody in Boston's system the A's had their eyes on when he was drafted.

E: BBREF has Cespedes at 3 WAR already this season and 114 OPS+ in spite of the .303 OBP. Are we going through that bad of a power shortage in baseball right now?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

tadashi posted:

I'm surprised he didn't try to get a low minors player back in the deal. There's got to be somebody in Boston's system the A's had their eyes on when he was drafted.

He pretty clearly does not give a gently caress about prospects this year

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

tadashi posted:

E: BBREF has Cespedes at 3 WAR already this season and 114 OPS+ in spite of the .303 OBP. Are we going through that bad of a power shortage in baseball right now?

Yes

But also they got Lester not Lackey

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Jesus Christ, Gomes has a sub-.500 OPS against righties this year and an .831 OPS against lefties.

Why does anyone deploy this man against righties.

Also, Cespedes rules and I love him. I hope the As win the World Series because that's a huge price to pay for such a cool dude.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

tadashi posted:

Cespedes is going to love hitting in Fenway; I could easily see him putting up a 130 OPS+ there, despite his awful plate discipline. That said, a lot of his value is clearly rooted in his potential (core strength! athleticism! etc.). They're not necessarily paying for the player Cespedes is now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tadashi posted:

A decent chunk of the WAR is defensive I think.

Groucho Marxist posted:

He pretty clearly does not give a gently caress about prospects this year

Yuuup. Proving that his poo poo can work in the playoffs and that he can win it all in Oakland is pretty much the only thing he hasn't done. He's going all in this year (correctly I think, since I can't imagine them having a chance like this again anytime soon)

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Cespedes is clearly a hope he hits some babby flyball doubles off the wall and flip him next year/in the offseason move for the Red Sox.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Professor Funk posted:

Cespedes is going to love hitting in Fenway; I could easily see him putting up a 130 OPS+ there, despite his awful plate discipline. That said, a lot of his value is clearly rooted in his potential (core strength! athleticism! etc.). They're not necessarily paying for the player Cespedes is now.
He's 28 though so barring a massive jump due to home ballpark dimensions, he'll be pretty much exactly who he is now.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

That Cespedes contract is still a good deal. It's under-market for an average player under 30 in free agency.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Let's go A's

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I dare someone to make a crazier trade than what the A's have done so far. It just seems like it's all downhill from here (a thing we said a few weeks ago, I guess).

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

tadashi posted:

I dare someone to make a crazier trade than what the A's have done so far. It just seems like it's all downhill from here (a thing we said a few weeks ago, I guess).

How are any of these trades crazy? Both have seemed fair for everyone.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

How are any of these trades crazy? Both have seemed fair for everyone.

Not bad just different from the standard prospects for major league player or small adjustment trades.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Rosenthal reporting Milone to the Twins

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I could see (and hope) they get Willingham and maybe something else in return. That Cespedes hole immediately plugged.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Dunno if Boston can handle all that Core Strength

I will be shocked if Cespedes stays with the Sox longer than next year's trade deadline.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Poonerman posted:

Rosenthal reporting Milone to the Twins

Its gonna ve for willingham isnt it

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

MassaShowtime posted:

Its gonna ve for willingham isnt it

Sam Fuld :geno:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:lol: I just heard this on the radio. We got Fuld off of waivers from Oakland like three months ago.

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
MONEYBALL

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

I was wondering why the Twins didn't try to get Milone after Oakland got Sjimardjia Samarjidja Shark. Glad to see it finally got done.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

:lol: I just heard this on the radio. We got Fuld off of waivers from Oakland like three months ago.

Yeah, I think they wanted him back. Milone wanted out so it seems like a good fit. The A's have Gentry and Blanks coming back soon, too. It's going to be a crowded outfield again. The A's have Griffin coming back next season, assuming he doesn't hit any major setbacks, so they still have a good amount of pitching depth.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What the gently caress? That's a terrible deal for Oakland.

Sam Fuld, while fun and intelligent, is a bad baseball player.

Tommy Milone is thoroughly mediocre, but he is a cost-controlled thoroughly mediocre player.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FairGame posted:

What the gently caress? That's a terrible deal for Oakland.

Sam Fuld, while fun and intelligent, is a bad baseball player.

Tommy Milone is thoroughly mediocre, but he is a cost-controlled thoroughly mediocre player.

Milone was pretty much demanding a trade from what has been reported lately. This seems like a personnel move more than a baseball move.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
That's seriously a video game trade.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Milone is a defense/park-dependent pitcher whose career ERA is like 1.7 points higher away from Oakland. He's like all the other Twins pitchers.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Milone is not good, this is a video game trade if you are bad at video games. He just got assigned to Rochester.

regfairfield
May 22, 2005

leokitty posted:

Milone is not good, this is a video game trade if you are bad at video games. He just got assigned to Rochester.

To be fair that's because he pitched two days ago and will almost certainly get called up for his next start.

Not that Milone isn't a very bad pitcher outside of Oakland.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

lil kenny says price and zobrist to tigers

edit or not real lil kenny says its fake

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ

Scob posted:

that was a fake twitter account

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Scob posted:

Looks like a fake Rosenthal twitter account.

But at least it fooled MLB Network. :lol:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Tavarin posted:

Looks like a fake Rosenthal twitter account.

But at least it fooled MLB Network. :lol:

yeah thats where i seen it, and loving lil kenny is sitting right there lol

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Trust no one

Except Assman22

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Scob posted:

yeah thats where i seen it, and loving lil kenny is sitting right there lol

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

apparently Rosenthal never bothered to make twitter give him @KenRosenthal and uses @Ken_Rosenthal which is kind of funny

• Locked thread