Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Uncle Wemus posted:

Well, the issue with that line of thought is that if we assume at first that he (or anyone accused of rape) is innocent, it has to mean that we assume that she is a liar.

And statistically speaking, a rape that is brought up is way way way way WAY more likely to have occurred than to have been made up in the mind of the accuser.*

Knowingly accusing somebody of rape when they did not commit it is as rare as falsely accusing of murder or falsely accusing of theft. It is crazy how when one guy accuses another guy if stealing, literally no one is going to automatically assume that he's a lying whore and anyways he wears make up and was drunk when it happened soooo let's just drop the case.

And yet, that's exactly what a woman goes through. And god help her if that man is better known or is liked than she is.

* This is used because this is a hypothetical here.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Uncle Wemus posted:

Well, the issue with that line of thought is that if we assume at first that he (or anyone accused of rape) is innocent, it has to mean that we assume that she is a liar.

And statistically speaking, a rape that is brought up is way way way way WAY more likely to have occurred than to have been made up in the mind of the accuser.*

Knowingly accusing somebody of rape when they did not commit it is as rare as falsely accusing of murder or falsely accusing of theft. It is crazy how when one guy accuses another guy if stealing, literally no one is going to automatically assume that he's a lying whore and anyways he wears make up and was drunk when it happened soooo let's just drop the case.

And yet, that's exactly what a woman goes through. And god help her if that man is better known or is liked than she is.

I'm making fun of the response to his response, not what an actual rape victim should say regarding her rapist years and years later. I have probably a billionth of the emotional maturity to know even what to do in that case. (Probably the only way to 'prove' a rape accusation is false is if the victim has history of false accusations, like what I thought happened with that Connor Oberst guy. Still worth a look into anyway.)

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Uncle Wemus posted:

this line of thinking contradicts the entire western idea of justice

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fandyien posted:

i loving hate cards against humanity. i've never played it and i fuckin hate it

i've played it, and i hate it a whole lot, even more than loving munchkin

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I really hope Anita Sarkeesian never gets sexually assaulted, that would be a horrible thing.

But if it did happen, I think /v/ might explode.

What I'm saying is that games and rape culture go hand-in-hand so this is not a surprise regarding whoever made XXX apples-to-apples

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

cah is an amazing game because it lets you simultaneously spot people with terrible taste in games and terrible senses of humor

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Alberto Basalm posted:

NOT WESTERN JUSTICE!

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
you can tell how terrible a person is by how creepy their custom cards are

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

David Copperfield posted:

Conclusion: no matter how heartfelt or sincere your denial of a rape accusation without proof is, it is obviously a trick taught by the Rapist Society.

It actually highlights a serious problem that occurs when people refuse to believe that miscommunication happens. No Such Thing as an Accidental Rapist is an easier line to hold than Sometimes People Don't Communicate Well, but I don't think it's universally true.

Uncle Wemus posted:

No, the issue is that it is possible for a victim to feel violated without the perpetrator understanding in the moment that is what is happening. I find it remarkably easy to believe that this woman felt sexually assaulted and that this man was utterly clueless about it and therefore feels innocent. His cluelessness doesn't make her a liar. Particularly since these two did not have intercourse. I don't think she's shared any details but it could be something as simple as him sticking his hands down her pants, her saying stop, and him stopping. It's possible for her to feel violated by that without him feeling like he'd done something wrong. A different woman dealing with the same circumstances might not feel violated at all because he stopped when she asked him to. People have different boundaries.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the kind of dumb immature faglord that would play cards against humanity has no place in civilized society. its not funny, you're not funny, nothing is funny *blows up planet*

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Alberto Basalm posted:

You mean the RAPE CULTURE made by white male patriarchs????

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

you can tell how terrible a person is by how creepy their custom cards are

I got the christmas pack for a friend for christmas. Because I ordered it, my name was printed on a card my friend owns. Apparently it's big laugh times when they put cum guzzler down with my name or whatever the gently caress.

solovyov posted:

It actually highlights a serious problem that occurs when people refuse to believe that miscommunication happens. No Such Thing as an Accidental Rapist is an easier line to hold than Sometimes People Don't Communicate Well, but I don't think it's universally true.

No, the issue is that it is possible for a victim to feel violated without the perpetrator understanding in the moment that is what is happening. I find it remarkably easy to believe that this woman felt sexually assaulted and that this man was utterly clueless about it and therefore feels innocent. His cluelessness doesn't make her a liar. Particularly since these two did not have intercourse. I don't think she's shared any details but it could be something as simple as him sticking his hands down her pants, her saying stop, and him stopping. It's possible for her to feel violated by that without him feeling like he'd done something wrong. A different woman dealing with the same circumstances might not feel violated at all because he stopped when she asked him to. People have different boundaries.

This is a good argument for not executing autists who don't know they've done something bad.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

im the reddit post facetiously using terms like rape culture and privilege because i'm so dumb i eat poo poo and live in a gutter.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Is Russia part of the Western Justice world, or is it the Orient? tia

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Uncle Wemus posted:

is this real lol

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
RUssia is clearly part of no justice world

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

N. Senada posted:

NOT WESTERN JUSTICE!

imo if a woman is raped she should just buy a Six Gun and go after the rapist herself, that's how the law should be

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Alberto Basalm posted:

imo if a woman is raped she should just buy a Six Gun and go after the rapist herself, that's how the law should be

agreed, but also for people who park in the bike lane

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Yes

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Uncle Wemus, nooooooo

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

hemale in pain posted:

agreed, but also for people who park in the bike lane

But also for bicyclists who want to share the road but ignore stop signs.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Alucard posted:

hahaha, science says bicycles shouldn't have to stop at signs, stop imposing your patriarchy on my fix-it

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Alucard posted:

what about cars?? is it okay for them to ignore stop signs??

hosed up!

KierkegaardsHo
Mar 21, 2004

I've had to bug girls about it for like 20 minutes before they had sex with me, is that rape guys?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Lots of rapey people coming to this guy's defense. Probably all men. White too!!!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

KierkegaardsHo posted:

I've had to bug girls about it for like 20 minutes before they had sex with me, is that rape guys?

everything is rape, and nothing is.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Here's how cards against humanity works for anyone who is curious:

Person A: "My car won't start. What's the reason?"

Person B: "Monkey cheese!"

Person C: "Richard Nixon!"

Person D: "Blanche from the Golden Girls!"

Person A: "Ha ha, Monkey Cheese is the best answer, Person B you get a point."

Repeat ad infinitum.

All of the questions and "punchlines" are pre-printed on cards so it's basically "you're too loving dull to be witty when you're high so we provided these for you you loving retard" the game.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Person A: "My car won't start. What's the reason?"

Person B: "Monkey cheese!"

Person C: "Richard Nixon!"

Person D: "Blanche from the Golden Girls!"

Person A: "Ha ha, Monkey Cheese is the best answer, Person B you get a point."

Repeat ad infinitum.

All of the questions and "punchlines" are pre-printed on cards so it's basically "you're too loving dull to be witty when you're high so we provided these for you you loving retard" the game.

Show me on the bigger blacker dick where cards against humanity raped you.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
cah is hilarious and great to play at family reunions where everyone is drunk, stoned, and tripping. if you disagree i hope you get turned into soap and lampshades.

it's totally poo poo to play sober though, like all games.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

I had no curiosity about the game but enjoyed this description.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I like CaH because it gives me a feeling of revenge against everyone I've ever played Apples to Apples against who insisted on playing 'seriously.'

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Conclusion: no matter how heartfelt or sincere your denial of a rape accusation without proof is, it is obviously a trick taught by the Rapist Society.
That's pretty much what I read that as. What a dumb response to his comment.

Uncle Wemus posted:

The issue with that line of thought is it goes completely against our justice system. The thing is she's not even pressing charges so now it's basically making GBS threads on his character with no trial or proof and he's pretty much always going be known as that guy who made cards against humanity and is a rapist.

Statistics with respect to false rape allegations range from ~2% on the low side to closer to 10% on the high side but it's a pretty tricky subject to get stats for. It's obviously a pretty uncommon thing but it's not impossible and it's kind of lovely that there's no middle ground between "she must be a lying whore" or "he must be a rapist".

Apples to Apples and CAH get boring pretty fast because of the preprinted nature of the cards but the actual game is more about knowing what kind of humor your friends like. You're not witty for making a dead baby joke but maybe you are clever if you knew that would be the thing bob would like the most.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Iggy Koopa posted:

everyone who has ever played cards against humanity is now a rapist by proxy

I'm a legit rapist so that's ok

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
what's the venn diagram of people who don't like CAH vs. those who don't like xkcd

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Was kinda curious and the OP was too lazy to even provide any links with his rss newsfeed post but here's the post Temkin made in response to allegations on tumblr and facebook.

http://blog.maxistentialism.com/post/91476212698/this-is-a-blog-post-thats-incredibly-confusing

The accuser originally was on social media sites and you'll see snippets of her posts in various news articles and Max's blog that seem largely to focus on trying to boycott the game and using Max as an example of a good alumni, but she also put up a blog post that contains absolutely no details about the attack but does have a lot of motivational sounding fire and fury over the topic of rape.

http://humanityagainstassault.tumblr.com/post/91625206355/truth

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
piss

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
*circles the / in y/n*

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

CaH is fun until you learn the cards. Well peace

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

solovyov posted:

There's a lot of room between "let's hash this out on tumblr!" and "let's meet face to face in a place where there is no one else around."

private messages on tumblr are basically meeting face to face in a place where there is no one else around to most of these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

posting to say i hate this game and i dont know how anyone considers "monkeycheese with rape jokes" a funny game

• Locked thread