Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I enjoy playing the cards against humanity with friends, sorry I have failed you gbs :(

I don't think I've ever played it without having at least a few drinks though, if that helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

ArbitraryC posted:

Was kinda curious and the OP was too lazy to even provide any links with his rss newsfeed post but here's the post Temkin made in response to allegations on tumblr and facebook.

http://blog.maxistentialism.com/post/91476212698/this-is-a-blog-post-thats-incredibly-confusing

The accuser originally was on social media sites and you'll see snippets of her posts in various news articles and Max's blog that seem largely to focus on trying to boycott the game and using Max as an example of a good alumni, but she also put up a blog post that contains absolutely no details about the attack but does have a lot of motivational sounding fire and fury over the topic of rape.

http://humanityagainstassault.tumblr.com/post/91625206355/truth

Good enough for me and my non-western, aka African, rule of law.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my friend got really mad about this thing spreading on facebook w/a random dudes information and a bunch of big showy text things about how he was a RAPIST and it was totally unsubstantiated. a bunch of dumb hippies got mad at him for hating women and i had to explain to him that all feminists aren't retards like that while we got stoned.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
"The fun of Apples to Apples making innocuous words and phrases into dirty and offensive jokes... Say, what if we just make those jokes for the player, so all they have to do is happen to have the most OUTRAGEOUS card in their hand to win a round?"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

TerminalSaint posted:

"The fun of Apples to Apples making innocuous words and phrases into dirty and offensive jokes... Say, what if we just make those jokes for the player, so all they have to do is happen to have the most OUTRAGEOUS card in their hand to win a round?"
The people who post stuff like this about CaH are the kind of people who sit at the table making pairs they think are funny but get mad when no one else thinks they're funny enough to win the round. It's like you don't get that the point is to make a joke that the dealer would like, not just one you would like. That's why if you've played it a couple times with the same group of friends you'll notice some will win a lot more often.

It's a fun game to play while not sober with friends a couple of times, it gets stale once you learn all the cards or play with the same people too much. Both CaH and Apples to Apples are also good games for getting to know people.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 16, 2014

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

TerminalSaint posted:

Well.. what if we did?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

cards against humanity is one of those things young kids will mock old people for playing some day, using your hands, it's a baby's toy

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT
I read her statement yesterday but had only seen a snippet of his. I didn't realize she'd originally called him out as her rapist. Her statement refers to it as "sexual assault," which is a far broader range of possible behavior than "rape," so my comments were based on her saying she'd been sexually assaulted and him saying they hooked up but did not have sex (ergo, not rape).

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

ArbitraryC posted:

The people who post stuff like this about CaH are the kind of people who sit at the table making pairs they think are funny but get mad when no one else thinks they're funny enough to win the round. It's like you don't get that the point is to make a joke that the dealer would like, not just one you would like. That's why if you've played it a couple times with the same group of friends you'll notice some will win a lot more often.

Or they've gotten that that's point since playing Apples to Apples and realize that CaH lol so randum cards stop being funny after the second time you see them.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alucard posted:

But also for bicyclists who want to share the road but ignore stop signs.

There's no rational reason for a mandatory stop at stop-signs for bicycles. Bicyclists don't operate a multi-ton vehicle imposing huge blind spots.

No mandatory stops for bicycles (stop sign turns into a yield sign for bicyclists) reduce accidents. Get educated.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 16, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alucard posted:

But also for bicyclists who want to share the road but ignore stop signs.

This is the type of thing automobidiots complain about.

Aug 4, 2010

can the guy press charges for slander?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

solovyov posted:

I read her statement yesterday but had only seen a snippet of his. I didn't realize she'd originally called him out as her rapist. Her statement refers to it as "sexual assault," which is a far broader range of possible behavior than "rape," so my comments were based on her saying she'd been sexually assaulted and him saying they hooked up but did not have sex (ergo, not rape).
She also didn't take it to him or authorities in the first place, all her original posts were on social media stuff when CaH or Max came up and she was just like "That man raped me, don't buy his cards and don't speak well of him as an alumni" then she turns around and posts "I am not interested in pressing charges. I don’t think my attacker is a serial predator. I see my assault as an almost textbook example of a “crime of opportunity”. I have no interest in personal compensation, monetary or otherwise. I have no interest in his company or in stifling his intellectual or personal life."

Yeah she has no interest in harming his assets or his personal life or legacy and yet she kicked off this whole shitstorm by trying to smear his name and get people to boycott him. She went through no official or legal channels, he only heard about it through someone he knew forwarding a tweet.

You'll also notice that jezebel and a couple of the other articles keep quoting a "threat" from Max where they take the line where he said "I spoke with my lawyer, and she thinks I have a clear case to sue this woman for libel and get a restraining order, but I have no desire to bully or harm her." and ignore that it was part of a paragraph where he directly states that a big part of why he doesn't want to sue for libel is because he worries that might discourage victims from reporting, but naturally that part of the quote is never included.

"I spoke with my lawyer, and she thinks I have a clear case to sue this woman for libel and get a restraining order, but I have no desire to bully or harm her. Additionally, I’m not wild about the precedent that sets for other women to come forward in cases of actual sexual assault."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Fame Douglas posted:

There's no rational reason for a mandatory stop at stop-signs for bicycles. They don't operate a multi-ton vehicle imposing huge blind spots.

No mandatory stops for bicycles reduce reduce accidents. Get educated.

they should probably stop at red traffic signals though since there will be cars going through in the other direction. I mention this because I have seen cyclists completely no sell a red signal and literally laugh at the motorists who honked at them because they, you know, expected to be able to go through their green signal with zero risk of running over an rear end in a top hat cyclist.

Cyclists might not have blind spots and be able to stop on a dime but that doesn't mean that all cyclists are decent, competent human beings who will use them and will stop, respectively.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JerryLee posted:

they should probably stop at red traffic signals though since there will be cars going through in the other direction. I mention this because I have seen cyclists completely no sell a red signal and literally laugh at the motorists who honked at them because they, you know, expected to be able to go through their green signal with zero risk of running over an rear end in a top hat cyclist.

Cyclists might not have blind spots and be able to stop on a dime but that doesn't mean that all cyclists are decent, competent human beings who will use them and will stop, respectively.

I agree with you, bicyclists shouldn't run red lights. I just think (and evidence backs this up) that reducing speed and watching the road (and yielding appropriately) is sufficient for bicyclists encountering a "Stop" sign.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't understand why anyone would play these lovely card games when you could just play Go or Chess like an adult.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

The great thing about being a cyclist is that you can pretend to be a pedestrian, a motor vehicle, or neither depending on what's most convenient at the time. You can also get angry/indignant at pedestrians and motor vehicles for not bending to your every whim.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TerminalSaint posted:

The great thing about being a cyclist is that you can pretend to be a pedestrian, a motor vehicle, or neither depending on what's most convenient at the time. You can also get angry/indignant at pedestrians and motor vehicles for not bending to your every whim.

Stop being so angry. Guess what, a bicycle is neither: In my opinion, cyclists shouldn't cycle on pedestrian walkways and sidewalks (I have no problem with laws forbidding this), but not all road rules that apply to cars need to apply equally to bicycles (see: stop signs).

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

i've played it, and i hate it a whole lot, even more than loving munchkin

It's a bad game. Apples to Apples is ok, but not all that great. CAH is monkey cheese dumbshit.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

solovyov posted:

There's a lot of room between "let's hash this out on tumblr!" and "let's meet face to face in a place where there is no one else around."

What I mean is, if she feels that he raped her, him offering to "discuss what happened" is going to come across as ":heysexy: hey baby tell me about the night I raped you, what color were ur panties :heysexy:"

He needs a lawyer.

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL
arguments about rape culture, western justice AND bicycling in one thread? I regret that i have but one five to give this magnificent thread

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also the creator was just falsely accused of rape, something that I'm told never happens. Weird.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Clochette posted:

What I mean is, if she feels that he raped her, him offering to "discuss what happened" is going to come across as ":heysexy: hey baby tell me about the night I raped you, what color were ur panties :heysexy:"

He needs a lawyer.

I know what you meant, I just disagree that that is the only or even most reasonable interpretation in context. He doesn't need a lawyer because she isn't pressing charges and he doesn't want to sue her.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Business Octopus posted:

arguments about rape culture, western justice AND bicycling in one thread? I regret that i have but one five to give this magnificent thread

Lol Internet males never change, even in turbo GBS

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Also the creator was just falsely accused of rape, something that I'm told never happens. Weird.

Since "false accusations never happen" is axiomatic, we can conclude that he is lying. :pseudo:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JerryLee posted:

Since "false accusations never happen" is axiomatic, we can conclude that he is lying. :pseudo:

schrodinger's rape

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

i dont know id have to see some evidence for there to be any kind of meaningful conviction

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

i dont know id have to see some evidence for there to be any kind of meaningful conviction

Um it's been blogged about on Tumblr, what's left to do in the march of justice really?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Um it's been blogged about on Tumblr, what's left to do in the march of justice really?

why the gently caress would he deny them on tumblr, wouldn't a rational, intelligent man ignore tumblr?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Powercrazy posted:

It's a bad game. Apples to Apples is ok, but not all that great. CAH is monkey cheese dumbshit.

apples to apples is not ok, apples to apples is a lovely game where you learn everyone you know is a dumbass who has no idea what these cards are referring to

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FogHelmut posted:

Didn't you see her blog full of evidence I linked? It contains hard hitting testimonies about topics such as them being neighbors and her feeling empowered for coming forth about this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also cah isn't monkey cheese unless if your have really unfunny friends who don't understand basic joke structure

in that case get funny friends who know how to make a good joke

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Can we all agree that Jezebel Dot Com is a festering pool of stupid righteousness, click-bait and defamation that should be held to the highest levels of contempt?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Someone's lyin', and I'm fixin' to figure out who *logs into tumblr*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Can we all agree that Jezebel Dot Com is a festering pool of stupid righteousness, click-bait and defamation that should be held to the highest levels of contempt?

that is all of gawker

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Nonsense posted:

why the gently caress would he deny them on tumblr, wouldn't a rational, intelligent man ignore tumblr?

the guy who made CAH is a Social Justice Warrior afaik

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think the problem with CAH is that every time I play it the actual funny card combinations get swept aside for the ones that are "ecks dee so randum," which kills the entire longevity of it. Every time I play with people who play it for the first time, like clockwork, stuff like "David Bowie riding a tiger made of lightning" will win out over cards that actually make sense and tell a darkly comedic joke. But then we'll play again, and they see the David Bowie card again, but this time it's not funny. I feel like the game would be ten times better if they got those ridiculously verbose cards out of the deck.

Oh, the Temkin thing? I don't know, I don't think he did it, but I have seen crazier poo poo from people who call themselves feminists.

Alberto Basalm posted:

the guy who made CAH is a Social Justice Warrior afaik

You're way oversimplifying it.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 16, 2014

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
*slams plastic squeky hammer* Guilty by tumblr jury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

suprised gbs doesn't like CAH
would have though cut and paste jokes about auschwitz and dead babies were right up its alley if you know what i mean

• Locked thread