Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

From that stream it looked like the Moon is now a playable location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's always been playable. Old Russia, Moon, and Mars have been heavily advertised as locations in the campaign.

Playable in the Beta, obviously.

edit: had a glance at the map again for Earth and the African Rift Valley is confirmed.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

If you are in the eu and you did that preorder and cancel trick; it didn't work. CN something something error.

Did the sensible thing and pre loaded the beta and now you have to join the back of the queue to input your code to PSN (which is down) and download 15gb again

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

So those who did the PSN preorder and cancelled have theirs working? Mine doesn't launch at all

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

So I got through the loopholes PSN made me jump through and got the password started. It downloaded the launcher but now I get error CE-34632-8.

Anyone else experiencing this? This is the error I got having done the EU preorder workaround to 'pre-load' which meant I actually thought I'd have to input my code.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

:siren: So go into Settings, PSN and Restore Licenses if you get the CE-34632-8 error and cant start the application. :siren:

I could have done this from the start, having had the download done yesterday, and been able to play as soon as I got home from work. Now, having deleted it not knowing you could do the above fix, and having went through the stress of redeeming the code, I have to wait for the 10gb to download again.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Just reached level 8 and got the 'thank you for testing' message. I thought they were raising the cap above 8 and releasing more content this week?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Pretty sure that's just a rumour at this point. Either way the message wouldn't really make a difference to that.

I can't give you the exact wording but it says something like "you have reached the Beta level cap" so I think we're probably not seeing anything beyond 8.

The game is definitely more polished but I was hoping for Moon missions to add to what we had in Alpha.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Just a note, the level cap isn't 20. There have been images released of levels higher than this but it could be that after level 20 it's all ilevels?

edit: its a 'light' rating that takes it above 20.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Does anyone know where bug reports are for this "beta"? The grimoire shows 'new cards' at first but as soon as you click on one of them the rest disappear, so you have to kind of remember what is a new card and what isn't. This happens on the browser and in the companion app on iOS.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Crucible feels a lot more fun on the Venus map than on the Rusted Lands, I'm not sure if they have tweaked anything else. I always loved Halo mp and this is basically that.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The Reef probably refers to the Asteroid Belt or the rings of Saturn. The Awoken are from there and are the remnants of humanity that fled into space during the Collapse.

By the way there are massive parallels between the story of Destiny and the Quantum Thief saga of books, has anyone else spotted this?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

General Battuta posted:

While Halo definitely owed a lot to Banks and Starhammer, I don't think Destiny is pulling from The Quantum Thief in the same way, or, uh, at all.

I find that pretty incredible considering that both have a Collapse and take place across a post-Collapse, post-singularity Solar System, both use similar styles of referring to mysterious locations and concepts with vague terms ("The Reef", the "Oubliette", etc). Both feature a protagonist that is brought back from the dead.

The Guardians are pretty much identical to the Tzaddikim (protectors of the last city on Mars, gifted with powers) down to the very description of how some of them look (helmeted, able to wield what is basically space magic). Hell, on Earth spinmetal even states that it's made from wild nanites.

There's more things that are pretty similar that I can't reel off of the top of my head, and nothing is exactly new in sci-fi with most of this stuff being derivative of someplace (like a common ancestor) but the parallels are hard to ignore at times.

The more I read the Quantum Thief again recently the more I got excited for Destiny, which might just mean there are thematic and conceptual crossovers that are unintentional but it resonates pretty strongly for me.

edit: also plot wise I don't actually think the Destiny story itself as seen so far is riffing off of the Quantum Thief at all, considering the plot of that book is more of a detective/hacker thing.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 22, 2014

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

General Battuta posted:

I think it's a decent book, but I can't say it's ever been on my mind or that I've ever heard it come up in conversation or seen it cited as prior art. The spin metal thing is a good example of something that seems similar but which was just a case of parallel evolution - I needed to explain why silver metal plants were growing out of broken barrels in an ancient spaceport, so...

Yeah the concept of wild nanites isn't exactly unique to any one book or fictional universe but is a nice touch. I think it's interesting how you can pull out these parallels across fictions/books because of the community of SF writers being influenced, consciously or not.

The author of TQT wrote about Banks in his latest acknowledgement at the end of The Causal Angel, so it's nice to hear Banks has influenced Destiny as well only a day after finishing that. Starting to think he's been one of SF's biggest influences in the last few decades.

I would recommend people who enjoy Destiny's setting read the Quantum Thief as it does visit a lot of Solar System locales in quite a weird journey, and like I said got me even more pumped for September.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

What's currently the best way to farm for green primary weapons and chest pieces and stuff? Just kill poo poo in Explore or do Devils Lair?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Gamestop still hasn't sent me a code. Does anyone have an extra?

Tweet/DM me at @BastardySkull

edit: in fact I have 2 Euro/PS4 codes if anyone wants them.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 22, 2014

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

It'd be real waste if you can't get Fallen/Hive/Vex/Cabal weaponry and would really go against the grain of previous Bungie titles of being able to nick your enemies weapons.

It's obviously not as simple as picking them up off the floor this time but I'd be surprised if we're limited to Exo/Human/Awoken/Traveller weaponry.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Dunderhead posted:

If you still want to get into the beta to score the unique emblem Bungie will be giving out to players on the 26th, follow me on https://www.twitch.tv/dunderhead_ as I will be giving out 3 PS4 Beta Keys for Destiny.

I'll probably be broadcasting later tonight (around 10pm CDT) and giving away all three keys through a random drawing on my channel. Again, feel free to follow me and enable email notifications to know exactly when I'm on. I'll post here as well because I want goons to get them first if possible.

Or you know, you could use these:

PFD9-LRNN-KAJP

5G34-TLNN-375J

PS4, Europe

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I was playing yesterday and noticed the Moon had disappeared from the map. I'm wondering if it was because I was playing a low level Warlock before the warp drive mission, I didn't check on any other characters.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Open up the moon mission you fuckers.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Sioux posted:

So the moon will not be available for 24 hours? Have they specified how long? Cause most of the hours after the start will be night here in Euroland. I was hoping I could just do it Sunday morning.

It's on between 10pm and midnight BST.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The fictional justification is that it lets Guardians train live-fire against really deadly opponents, so they can figure out tactics and learn their own powers without the risk of actually loving up an important mission or dying permanently.

It's like Red Flag for fighter pilots except the verisimilitude is cranked up even higher!

Isn't the in game lore clear at some point that the Guardians actually do get injured and die in the Crucible but the Ghost brings them back? Pretty horrible.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Was a bit underwhelmed with the size of the Moon. Then I went underground.

Even with a ton of locked doors the Moon took 2 hours to explore. I'm really loving impressed, especially if we get the same for Venus, Mercury, Mars, and at least one or two Jovian/Saturnian moons.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

What is that huge thing? It's awesome. I can't wait to see what kind of monsters and aliens we get to fight in the full game. You know they've got a ton of secrets for us.

It's a Hive ogre, there were loads on the Moon

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

No idea how new/relevent this is, but the terrible Bungie forums are abuzz with the news that someone at Bungie confirmed only one explore zone per planet.

Rather hoping that's not true. It'd mean we've already seen and explored like 40% of the environmental content (if you count the time we spent on the Moon). Were the other Earth cities just scrapped?

I only ever expected one zone per planet. Where are you getting the 40% figure from?

There are grimoire cards for Mercury, Venus, Earth, Moon, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Then there's also the 'Reef' which may be another hub area.

If each of those main planets has one explorable zone that's a poo poo-ton of content.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 27, 2014

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Jx5__c1lY&t=113s

Really old trailer but 1:53 for Saturn. 2:14 for Mercury.

These could just be cinematics, or they could be DLC, or just smaller areas that aren't fully explorable, but they look like you go there?

There's concept art for Europa but that could have been cut early on.

Also the Reef could easily be in the rings of Saturn, though I think it's meant to be the Asteroid Belt as it appears near Mars on the world map.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

There was talk of Chicago and there are lore references to Europe but the Russian cosmodrome seems pretty important a location on Earth considering the Hive and Fallen are all over it.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Soulex posted:

I spent about 2 hours last night on that explore mission trying to complete it. Only to find out there is no end and the missions respawn.

Also, I don't know the difference between a gold chest and a regular chest :shrug: i found like 4 on the moon last night. One was on an awning that was overhanging a fart hole and another one was on the side of a building where you get that helium gas at (which is always in the same spot).

You can check the gold chest count you have for an area by looking at the map of the area when in orbit.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

It took me an hour to explore to the bottom of the Hellmouth. I've been exploring nooks and crannies in Old Russia all week and that is blocked off.

On top of that we have Mars, Venus, Mercury, the rest of the Moon, the rest of Old Russia, and pretty confident there is Saturn/Jupiter content as well.

Even if it's only Earth, Moon, Mars, Venus that have explore zones that is a breathtaking amount of content considering a lot of it is directed story missions as well as open world exploration.

If you're disappointed by that then I don't know what to say. Early indicators suggest we're looking at a world on par with vanilla WoW.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

Theres a bounty to kill 10 fallen majors or ultras. Where/what are they?

I found that count ticking up over time. I think they are high level elite Hive Knights/ Fallen Captains but I could be wrong.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Looking at the map image that comes with the Limited Edition, Saturn and Jupiter are tiny so I'm thinking their approximation of Earth/Moon/Reef/Mars/Venus is probably right, though that doesn't explain why the Speaker mentions Mercury (rather than Venus) being a 'garden world'

Oh well, always time for the outer planets in other games.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

And 100 people played it on Xbox One

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

They could at least add a Dark Souls like 'summon sign' or beacon or something that you can hit outside of a raid entrance to summon some appropriately leveled people?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I don't have a single friend that has a PS4, never mind intends to play Destiny. Not allowing matchmaking on raids would be a really dumb mistake, though hopefully playing with goons rectifies that.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Wow that is some patronising bullshit from Luke Smith there. Like actual bullshit that could have been solved by allowing voice chat with strangers and similarly, allowing you to matchmake.

The raid would still be hard and require teamwork, the difficulty entirely hinges on the design of the raid and the difficulty of the enemies/encounters and has nothing to do with the quality of life decision they could have made to make it accessible to people who don't have all day, friends who play games, or ready access to a community like SA.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Once again if you're not some sort of raging autist it's not hard to find 5 other people to play with.

On the contrary, not being a raging autist makes it far more likely that your friends don't play games.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

DrNutt posted:

If you're the type of person who pays ten dollars to post on an internet forum about video games, then you can find five other people for raids.

Other than goons? No, none of my friends own consoles irl. This is why people are annoyed, playing with goons isn't that far removed from playing with random pubbies.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah I'm personally not going to find it difficult to match up with goons after using the batch app but it's not like any of you are my friends or anything above the level of random arseholes you meet on the internet using matchmaking. The only saving grace is that voice chat should be enabled.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

I just can't fathom why in the year 2014 you would purposely create content that is gated on being able to communicate with a group and work as a team but then not allow you to easily find a group of people to form a team other than going essentially off-site and then, even if you could find said random group via matchmaking, not allow them to communicate via chat. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Why would you want to use random pubbies for something that actually requires precise timing, communication, teamwork, intelligence and knowledge of how things work :psyduck:
If you want to shoot with random dudes, there are Strikes. You'll still wipe with random pubbies who miraculously have enough brain in them to be able to start up the game and press to queue up for the strike of choice.

Seriously, how hard are these raids really going to be? At the end of the day this is a fps we're talking about. In the video we saw some kind of jumping puzzle with disappearing platforms, I'm wondering what else absolutely makes teamwork and communication absolutely essential in the raid other than really difficult mobs?

• Locked thread