Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but I like that the mp has a little bit of an anti-camper mechanic. When you ADS, the mini-map disappears. So anyone hiding in a corner ADS at a doorway is opening themselves up to a surprise flank attack. Can't wait to see what mp modes the final game has. The icons from Alpha looked like a CTF mode, a DM/TDM mode, and the rest I couldn't really interpret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Nothing is more frustrating than almost capping a point, only to see the entirety of your team run up to the point right as you're about to take it. Of course, leaving every other point unguarded. Sometimes you just wish you could reach through the tv and slap some sense into people.

I get the hell away from them, because that's just begging for an enemy Titan to hulk-smash everyone. Conversely, I love it when the enemy makes a full team effort to cap a single point.

Xarion posted:

Does anyone know if the Titan is immune to damage once their Super has been activated? I've never been able to kill one once they've initiated it, just wondering if it's possible.

Nope. Titans have a skill that makes it harder to be killed while using it, but they aren't invincible. I know in the Alpha I got killed once or twice in the middle of launching it.

Undead Muppet fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 24, 2014

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

For Titan pvp, get some gear that gives you faster melee, and use the codex that gives you extra agility. Now laugh as you get double and sometimes triple kills by floating in behind enemies and punching the poo poo out of everyone. Also, if you don't use your whole jumpjet during a jump, you can use the remaining "fuel" at anytime. Very handy for maneuvering.

And for anyone that hasn't noticed, the background image for the Crucible is a Hunter about to get their face punched off by a Titan. Bungie acknowledges Titan supremacy :colbert:

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

BlindSite posted:

One thing I would have liked is voice chat for people in your fireteam. During the strike mission both times I got stuck with guys who were sniping but ignored the further away enemies with the heavy weapons in favour of one shorting dregs I could've hosed with my AR. Being able to coordinate fire especially by telling people to aim for the legs on the walkers or to stick together at an entrance instead of trying to hero charge and getting knocked down would've made it possible to finish. Time and again they'd get cut down and I'd have to rush to revive them while killing mobs and long shorting guys they should've been targetting. Frustrating to say the least.

Yeah this is something that really needs to be changed for release. For co-op and pvp, coordinating with your team without forming a pre-made is unnecessarily involved, and somewhat obtuse.

I did the Strike for the first time today, and right at the start invited both my random teammates to my fireteam, but neither accepted the invite, so we did the whole thing without any way to communicate, which would have made an already good run go even smoother. It's also been really frustrating in pvp, because this has been the first shooter in years where I've actually wanted to talk to my team of randoms, but Bungie intentionally made it overly difficult to do so.

Loving this game otherwise. I've already put more hours into Alpha/Beta than any other PS4 game I own. Hopefully TLoU can get me through August.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Sivlan posted:

PVP was miserable but only because I'm too used to m+kb, looks like it could be fun once I learn the mysteries of thumb sticks. PVE was fun and entertaining to go through the story once. Strike missions had the same glee of the old L4D runs: small team raiding. Hated explore but I'm sure that's for the Diablo-eqsue loot drop junkies.

For you PC gamer kb+mouse only types, buy a set of Kelux grips for $10.

I preferred playing FPS games on PC for years, but control stick grips/extenders really help. And you adjust quickly. When Alpha started I was using a single FPS Freek on the right stick of the DS4, and when I first started playing I had to bump Destiny's default aim sensitivity down one notch. By the end of Alpha I was comfortably playing on 6 sensitivity.

Half way through Beta, my girlfriend got me a set of the Kelux grips, and by today I've been comfortably playing on 8 sensitivity, able to make headshots in PvE and PvP consistently enough even with one of the massive rate of fire auto-rifles. It's never too late to get used to playing FPS games on a controller. I just turned 30, and I still made the transition without too much time spent re-tuning my muscle memory.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

What do the Kelux grips do to make controlling shooters better?

Well, the grip I use on the right stick is one of the tall ones with a concave surface. The right stick is generally the most important for console FPS games, since by default that controls your aim. For the left stick I use one of the small convex covers for better grip (which I'll probably swap for another concave one when Drive Club and The Crew release.)

The function of a taller extender is that it gives you finer movement precision of the analog stick. Which helps you aim better.

edit:
posted too slow.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

haveblue posted:

Random observation: I hope in the final game that the story missions aren't done in a straight planet sequence (all the earth missions, then all the moon missions, then all the mars missions...) but rather they send you back and forth between planets you've already visited sometimes. It might help the pacing to intersperse repeated visits to the same overworld with a visit to an old familiar one you might not have seen in a while, only with something new unlocked.

I realize you can already do this yourself with the optional strikes and explore modes, but it would still be neat.

Considering there were areas in the Beta like King's Watch that could only be accessed by glitching that still contained level 20 enemies, that seems pretty likely.

I even remember a preview video, maybe from IGN or back from E3, that said there would be enough content opened up that there would be some kind if in-game system to help you decide what content to play at any given time.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Full disclosure: For my 360, I paid $150 for a XIM3 to use for MW3, along with a little bit of BLOPS1 & 2.

Using a XIM, especially with aim-assist enabled, in PvP is straight up cheating.

I originally defended my purchase, claiming it was no different than having a larger TV, or expensive surround sound to have an advantage. Now that I've had a few years to think it over, I realize it's more comparable to PC gamers using subscription aimbots. About a month into BLOPS 2, I unhooked the XIM, boxed it up, and shoved it in a closet. Then I grit my teeth and learned to play FPS games with a controller. I'm still not up to the level of snap-aiming I'm used to from years of PC FPS playing, and I might not ever be as good as people who have been playing shooters with a controller for eight hours a day since Halo 1, but I'm constantly noticing improvement, and by next year I'll probably be able to comfortably play Destiny at sensitivity 10.

Yeah, you're gonna get your rear end kicked at first, and it's gonna be frustrating while your brain is screaming "if this was PC I would have kicked your rear end!" But it's not PC, and the controller wizard who kicked your rear end earned it by learning the controller the same way you did when you first started playing shooters on PC and the more experience players kicked your rear end there.

If you just want to use it for PvE or Co-op, that's fine. Go for it. You're not effecting anybody else's experience there. Or if you happen to be injured or disabled in some way and a XIM is your only way to enjoy the hobby you love, I'm completely sympathetic there too. But otherwise, if you use it to take shits on people in PvP, you are flat out cheating just like an aimbot user playing PC shooters.

(The "you"s aren't directed at a specific person in this thread, the XIM chat just brought up some thoughts I've had on the subject for a while now.)

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I know it won't happen, but I really wish that each class would get a unique heavy weapon that fits their aesthetic. Like Titans could get huge gently caress-off chainguns, Warlocks could get a plasma cannon or a grenade launcher, and Hunters could get... railguns? Or nothing. Let's go with nothing for Hunters. :colbert:

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Ularg posted:

Swords, hunters should get katanas or some giant gently caress-off sword.

I find this agreeable, so long as equipping a katana in the heavy weapons slot also changes the Hunter's helmet to a fedora. And the background matchmaking starts secretly only instancing you with other fedora wearing katana wielding Hunters.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

Just wait. It's going to turn out that inside a raid, Titan abilities all suddenly generate agro, Warlock spells will heal if used on a teammate, and Hunter abilities now have a crowd control element attached to them. Which the Hunter will fail to use and continually wipe the group, because "I'm the DPS! Someone else has to do CC! Also, I need all the loot!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

I knew loot drops were individually instanced, but I could never figure out if chests were instanced too, or if they were public and could be seen/opened by everyone in the zone.

edit:
I hope they add more non-combat exploration based rewards to the game similar to the golden chests in each major zone.

• Locked thread